ADVERTISEMENT

So Marcus just tweeted...

Yep, it normally my rule of thumb to get both sides of the story, but I feel safe going with the version Marcus gave.

You should still, as a matter of principle, wait on both sides of the story to be presented. What is the rush to make a judgement? Is there a rush to politicize the event before all the facts are in? Why?

I recall Marcus was apparently surveiled in a store a couple of years ago, and presumed he was observed because he was black. How did he know that? I read about it here on GC.

At the time, I posted that in all my years, no one has ever accused me of having scored a touchdown. Life is so unfair!

The American Communist media started calling that. Too bad your more worried about insulting Chinese Communist than highlighting the fact that China unleashed 100,000's of Chinese Nationals across the globe, while they were trying to cover up the outbreak in Wuhan, instead of shutting down flights to and from China. It's called weaponizing a Virus ICBM. But you go ahead and worry about hurting the feelings of a bunch of Communists.

NBC is parroting the ChiComm line in trying to make it racist to call this the Wuhan virus.

I wish things always proceeded logically in high stress situations, but we know they don’t.

in April, 2015, a police offer shot Walter Scott hitting him 3 times in the back. The officer initially lied about what had occurred. The officer claimed that Scott took control of his Taser and that he feared for his life in a scuffle after the traffic stop. The video didn't show Scott taking the stun gun.

Police predictably stood by him, including another officer on the scene, but would investigate. Then a video was produced by a witness that told a totally different story. Even then, one jury couldn’t agree on a verdict. But another jury did and convicted the officer.

This is a totally different case. Not vaguely similar.

The American Communist media started calling that. Too bad your more worried about insulting Chinese Communist than highlighting the fact that China unleashed 100,000's of Chinese Nationals across the globe, while they were trying to cover up the outbreak in Wuhan, instead of shutting down flights to and from China. It's called weaponizing a Virus ICBM. But you go ahead and worry about hurting the feelings of a bunch of Communists.

Nah, you sound over the top. No thanks.

I’m worried about my chinese American friend. Me not calling it a certain name is not going to impact the Chinese government. (It’s also not going to matter to them if you call it that either.)

but it does needlessly damage my relationship with my good friend and I see no reason for that.

plus, as you verified, it seems to be called that by a small segment of people that have a lot of misplaced anger and the result of that too often is innocent people get attacked- sometimes physically.

Absolutely.

Plus, China was trying to blame US and our military after they were the ones that hid this virus from the world for 6 weeks and allowed it to grow to the point where it became virtually unstoppable.

China let the whole world down, and their delay in reporting it makes me think they are likely the reason it got released, out of a weapons lab or something.

However, China still seeks to eradicate a free world via Communism. Too bad the American Communist MSM also promotes Communist propaganda.

Reactions: atl-cock
This is a totally different case. Not vaguely similar.

I think we all realize it’s a different case. That’s not the point.
The point is that a seemingly innocent, routine situation can go sideways. People pulled over do lie. So do police officers.

Any attackers will be arrested for their actions, not for your assumption they are motivated by the words "Chinese virus". It seems far, far more likely they are blaming the global spread of the Chinese virus, and a specific threat to their health, on the Chinese. And yes, I specifically used the words Chinese virus. I want you to tell me exactly how many Chinese were attacked because I used those words. I'll be waiting, a litte while, while you tabulate that number.

Chinese Troll Farms are in full force, and the idiots on the left don't realize they are parroting Communist propaganda, like the MSM is.

Chinese Troll Farms are in full force, and the idiots on the left don't realize they are parroting Communist propaganda, like the MSM is.

Actually, Chinese troll farms are likely loving the idea that Americans are caught up in arguing and attacking each other (sometimes physically) about the name of a virus. It’s exactly what they would love.

it works perfectly for them. You have a segment of extremists on the right that want to insist on wasting a lot of time fighting to make sure everyone calls it the Chinese virus as if ultimately they care. After all, the plan to get everyone calling it that is doomed to fail as it just won’t happen. But folks that insist on calling it that don’t care that it won’t be called that by most people. So they continue to waste their time.

It plays into Trump’s election campaign perfectly because he can use it to divide people further. The Chinese know that well.

so it’s ironic that you mentioned the troll farms as argument works for them.

I wish things always proceeded logically in high stress situations, but we know they don’t.

in April, 2015, a police offer shot Walter Scott hitting him 3 times in the back. The officer initially lied about what had occurred. The officer claimed that Scott took control of his Taser and that he feared for his life in a scuffle after the traffic stop. The video didn't show Scott taking the stun gun.

Police predictably stood by him, including another officer on the scene, but would investigate. Then a video was produced by a witness that told a totally different story. Even then, one jury couldn’t agree on a verdict. But another jury did and convicted the officer.

My primary position is that up to now we've only heard one side of the story.

If you've been around anytime at all, you know it's not generally wise to take the first side of the story and run with it. The illustration of the Walter Scott incident is the perfect example to support this.

My primary position is that up to now we've only heard one side of the story.

If you've been around anytime at all, you know it's not generally wise to take the first side of the story and run with it. The illustration of the Walter Scott incident is the perfect example to support this.

I agree we heard one side of the story. I also find it interesting that most people seem to identify with the police offer side very quickly as if we don’t also have a LONG list of bad police officer actions to reference.

Reactions: taiwancock
I agree we heard one side of the story. I also find it interesting that most people seem to identify with the police offer side very quickly as if we don’t also have a LONG list of bad police officer actions to reference.

We have a longer list of false/exaggerated allegations made against officers.

We have a longer list of false/exaggerated allegations made against officers.

I don’t mean to dismiss your comment but you do realize there are more people that aren’t police officers than police officers, right? So numbers wise, we are obviously going to see a lot more complaints, false complaints against officers than the other way. I mean that’s just probability and statistics, right?

I would also assume you would acknowledge that we haven’t actually done the best job of investigating citizen complaints against officers.

I would also assume you’d acknowledge that with body cams, dash cams, and cell phone video, we are now getting to see much more bad police conduct than we ever did before and that’s probably not because we have worse officers now than 10-20 years ago.

And as I also said, after talking with my brother in law, who is black, about this issue, I have a greater respect for a side of this discussion that I never considered before. My eyes were opened to what someone else can experience.

Ok, how did it go from law enforcement to the Chinese?

Because, people are discriminating against Chinese because of their race, by calling the Wuhan Virus, the Wuhan virus???

This PC madness must end. It is more debilitating and dangerous than a virus, because it causes the suspension of common sense.

Because, people are discriminating against Chinese because of their race, by calling the Wuhan Virus, the Wuhan virus???

This PC madness must end. It is more debilitating and dangerous than a virus, because it causes the suspension of common sense.

I don’t think it’s racist.

But I am seeing some use it to attack and verbally abuse Chinese people and Chinese Americans and I believe focusing on that name increases the likelihood of that continuing. I don’t want that to happen and if I can do anything to reduce that possibility, I’ll take it.

I’m also seeing and hearing some on tv and radio that I consider to be extremists absolutely insist on referring to it as The Chinese virus for their own political reasons. I see no reason to join them in their political goals and personal whims.

So I call it COVID19 because that accurately describes it, is what actual scientists call it, and seems to be well understood by everyone I encounter.

It's amazing to me that some are so scared to stare issues of race and law enforcement in the face that Gamecock fans would question Marcus Lattimore. I could see if this was some guy that you don't know. However, this is Marcus "freaking" Lattimore. When have you known him to just go out and be lying on people. We all have a good idea what this is. Marcus is Lattimore is in Nebraska. They don't know him. Young, black male, probably a nice car. So, use your imagination to think what happens. I know something similar used to happen to me in the 90's all the time to the point that I started keeping law books in my backseat so local law enforcement could get the message to leave me alone.

I don’t think it’s racist.

But I am seeing some use it to attack and verbally abuse Chinese people and Chinese Americans and I believe focusing on that name increases the likelihood of that continuing. I don’t want that to happen and if I can do anything to reduce that possibility, I’ll take it.

I’m also seeing and hearing some on tv and radio that I consider to be extremists absolutely insist on referring to it as The Chinese virus for their own political reasons. I see no reason to join them in their political goals and personal whims.

So I call it COVID19 because that accurately describes it, is what actual scientists call it, and seems to be well understood by everyone I encounter.

What do you call Ebola?

BS on seeing people verbally Chinese Americans over this.

It's amazing to me that some are so scared to stare issues of race and law enforcement in the face that Gamecock fans would question Marcus Lattimore. I could see if this was some guy that you don't know. However, this is Marcus "freaking" Lattimore. When have you known him to just go out and be lying on people. We all have a good idea what this is. Marcus is Lattimore is in Nebraska. They don't know him. Young, black male, probably a nice car. So, use your imagination to think what happens. I know something similar used to happen to me in the 90's all the time to the point that I started keeping law books in my backseat so local law enforcement could get the message to leave me alone.

great points.

It’s interesting to see some (and you can usually predict who it will be) fail to see how someone like Marcus and his wife could feel about an incident like this.

We all know that we don’t know the entire story. We all know that anything COULD have happened.

but personally, I’m going to side with the guy I know to be a great human being until someone proves something different. I’m not unreasonable. I’m not going to defend someone that was clearly wrong in such an encounter. But like I would a family member or good friend, I’m going to side with them and their side first until something else proves they were not right.

just because the police stopped them doesn’t mean they police are right. That benefit of the doubt left me a long time ago.

Reactions: taiwancock
What do you call Ebola?

BS on seeing people verbally Chinese Americans over this.

I’ve already answered this question. I call It Ebola. Ebola is named after the Ebola river.

I’ve already posted examples and links detailing Chinese people being attacked. I’m not doing it again because you didn’t see it.

Once again, it simply comes down to having been around the block a few times. I'm not saying Marcus is lying. All I know is that I've heard one side of the story. Once you've been around a while you learn it's not usually wise to build an opinion based on one side of a story.

I’ve already answered this question. I call Ebola, Ebola after the Ebola river for which it’s named.

I’ve already posted examples and links detailing Chinese people being attacked. I’m not doing it again because you didn’t see it.

So why is not it racist to refer Ebola as Ebola which was named based on the geographical location of where it originated?

So why is not it racist to refer Ebola as Ebola which was named based on the geographical location of where it originated?

Because it’s named after a river, not a group of people.

I’ve already said I don’t think it’s an issue of being racist. See above.

Once again, it simply comes down to having been around the block a few times. I'm not saying Marcus is lying. All I know is that I've heard one side of the story. Once you've been around a while you learn it's not usually wise to build an opinion based on one side of a story.

And that is one of our essential differences. When it’s someone like Marcus, I’m siding with him until proven that my confidence was misplaced. He’s essentially family to me and that’s the way I treat family.

And that is one of our essential differences. When it’s someone like Marcus, I’m siding with him until proven that my confidence was misplaced. He’s essentially family to me and that’s the way I treat family.

Maybe you know him personally. Most here do not. I do not. There is a VERY long list of people who had unimpeachable character...prior to being found out to be dirtbags.

For the record, I know that is not Marcus. I believe he is a person of high character. But it doesn't change the fact that we've only had one side of the story.

So, in your mind, "Chinese" can never be used as a geographical reference?

sure, of course. But again, context is important.

if I had heard people I consider very right wing using it in that context, i wouldn’t think twice. But they were not using it to describe a region. They have been very specific to blame it on the Chinese.

is the Chinese government responsible? Maybe. Probably. But the Chinese people are not responsible and Chinese Americans and Chinese living in Germany are not responsible.

So if those same right wingers want to call it “The Chinese government virus,” they’d be more accurate, and I personally would be fine with it as long as the science investigation proved that true.

maybe we should wait until the crises is over, and the science can be detailed and put out, then if it proves true, we can call it the Chinese Communist Government virus. That would at least be correct.

It's also quite possible that the event went down as described 100% independent of anyone's skin color. I'm just not sure why some are so quick to assume that anything bad that happens to black people happens to them because they are black. Nobody assumes this about white people or asian people or any other race.

Maybe you know him personally. Most here do not. I do not. There is a VERY long list of people who had unimpeachable character...prior to being found out to be dirtbags.

For the record, I know that is not Marcus. I believe he is a person of high character. But it doesn't change the fact that we've only had one side of the story.

As I said, that is one of our essential differences. When it’s someone like Marcus, I’m siding with him until proven that my confidence was misplaced. He’s essentially family to me and that’s the way I treat family.

I’m not going to ignore evidence that would prove him wrong. I’d accept it but until then, I’m behind him.

It's also quite possible that the event went down as described 100% independent of anyone's skin color. I'm just not sure why some are so quick to assume that anything bad that happens to black people happens to them because they are black. Nobody assumes this about white people or asian people or any other race.

well, that’s obviously not true. People do make assumptions about Asian people.

and people do make assumptions about white people.

You need to get out more.

anything is possible.

sure, of course. But again, context is important.

But they were not using it to describe a region. They have been very specific to blame it on the Chinese..

The Chinese ARE responsible. The Chinese government IS comprised of CHINESE people. No way around that. They suppressed the knowledge of this virus and because of that are directly responsible for the havoc being wreaked around the world. THEY are responsible for folks in America who are going to suffer financial hardship because of this. They are responsible for the dead Americans. It IS in every sense a Chinese virus. It originated in China and it's spread was made possible by the intentionally nefarious actions of the Chinese people who head the Chinese government.

well, that’s obviously not true. People do make assumptions about Asian people.

and people do make assumptions about white people.

You need to get out more.

anything is possible.

I never said people don't make assumptions about white people or asian people. If you're going to reference my comments, please do so accurately.

The Chinese ARE responsible. The Chinese government IS comprised of CHINESE people. No way around that. They suppressed the knowledge of this virus and because of that are directly responsible for the havoc being wreaked around the world. THEY are responsible for folks in America who are going to suffer financial hardship because of this. They are responsible for the dead Americans. It IS in every sense a Chinese virus. It originated in China and it's spread was made possible by the intentionally nefarious actions of the Chinese people who head the Chinese government.

When you live in a country where you are either part of the party, or you don’t eat or go to jail, I don’t consider most Chinese people part of the government. Sorry, I think your logic is just self serving.

The Chinese people are not your enemy. They are playing a part in a system that controls them and controls their lives. They didn’t get together and decide to play with a virus. They are victims too.

the government made up of party leaders, that’s a different issue.

But we are not going to agree. You can continue use to focus on the name of the virus all you like. It’s beyond silly but that is your right.

Thankfully we don’t know each other and don’t have to interact so it doesn’t really matter.

It's not about trusting Marcus. It's about being fair to both sides and getting both sides before demonizing someones character. If the other side of the story is exactly the way Marcus said, then show the necessary anger. It's not hurting or helping either side to get the whole story before judging the incident.

I never said people don't make assumptions about white people or asian people. If you're going to reference my comments, please do so accurately.

you are right. I didn’t read it correctly. you wrote...

I'm just not sure why some are so quick to assume that anything bad that happens to black people happens to them because they are black. Nobody assumes this about white people or asian people or any other race.

While some might do that, I know I don’t.

Maybe it’s because many black people in america have a particular history that would cause them to believe something like that. Just maybe....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT