ADVERTISEMENT

So Marcus just tweeted...

Yes, I’ve met and worked with him on a project since he graduated.

I get the explanation. But I side with Marcus.

I work with a lot of people. I don’t consider them “essentially family”.

That said, I get it. Marcus is a high quality guy. High quality guys still fall, even though personally I don’t think that’s the case with him.

The fact the police were looking for a specific weight of two specific drugs tells you they were looking for someone specific trafficking them. I’d wait until the other side of the story comes out.

I work with a lot of people. I don’t consider them “essentially family”.

That said, I get it. Marcus is a high quality guy. High quality guys still fall, even though personally I don’t think that’s the case with him.

The fact the police were looking for a specific weight of two specific drugs tells you they were looking for someone specific trafficking them. I’d wait until the other side of the story comes out.

Same with me, but I do with Marcus.he has that type of impact on people.

there is always 2 sides. But again, I’ll stick with him.

If people can stick with a politician no matter what he says or does, I can stick with someone I do know.

This thread has been very eye-opening. It shows that there is some common sense in this group but that there’s also a lot of racism. If you don’t know which is which... there’s the problem.

I can somewhat agree that we’ve become too pc. You want to call the corona virus “Chinese virus”, go ahead. But know your audience! There are off-color and crude jokes that I can tell certain friends and family but I’m not going to put them out there for everyone to see. And the president has a bigger audience than the rest of us and should know better than to make crude or racist comments. Sadly, he doesn’t. He has no filter and his followers take the cue from him and thus think it’s ok to follow in his footsteps. He has no regard for how his remarks may bother or hurt others. Frankly, he’s the only president I can remember who would do that.

As for Marcus, that whole situation stinks. Pulled for going 5 mph over the speed limit is ridiculous. Having them call out a K-9 unit certainly warrants an investigation into the cop’s motives.
Chinese Virus is not a racist comment . Got any links of Trump being racist?

you, right wing radio, Fox, and Trump can stick together. No real surprise.

And there it is...the pseudo-elitism once again rearing it’s head.

I never said I stuck with Trump, right wing radio, or Fox.

I just said I’m fed up with smarmy pseudo-elitists who seem to derive some sort of perverse pleasure from trying to associate their opinions with celebrities and left leaning MSM flunkies.

Doesn’t mean I stick with Trump, right wing radio, or Fox....it just means I’m an educated American who’s fed up with pseudo-elitists parroting accusations of racism, bigotry, and xenophobia.

Looks like you’re one of the pretenders.

And there it is...the pseudo-elitism once again rearing it’s head.

I never said I stuck with Trump, right wing radio, or Fox.

I just said I’m fed up with smarmy pseudo-elitists who seem to derive some sort of perverse pleasure from trying to associate their opinions with celebrities and left leaning MSM flunkies.

Doesn’t mean I stick with Trump, right wing radio, or Fox....it just means I’m an educated American who’s fed up with pseudo-elitists parroting accusations of racism, bigotry, and xenophobia.

Looks like you’re one of the pretenders.

Yep, same thing Fox and right wing radio says. I get it.

Yep, same thing Fox and right wing radio says. I get it.

No, it’s actually what a big chunk of this country thinks. People are tired of being called racist, bigoted xenophobes.

They aren’t right wing or left wing, they’re simply Americans who are tired of having PC crap shoved down their throats.

And your response is typical.

No, it’s actually what a big chunk of this country thinks. People are tired of being called racist, bigoted xenophobes.

They aren’t right wing or left wing, they’re simply Americans who are tired of having PC crap shoved down their throats.

And your response is typical.

red herring and a straw man.

I didn’t call anyone racist. No reason to respond that way to me when I haven’t said that.

Nah, you sound over the top. No thanks.

I’m worried about my chinese American friend. Me not calling it a certain name is not going to impact the Chinese government. (It’s also not going to matter to them if you call it that either.)

but it does needlessly damage my relationship with my good friend and I see no reason for that.

plus, as you verified, it seems to be called that by a small segment of people that have a lot of misplaced anger and the result of that too often is innocent people get attacked- sometimes physically.
I guess you don’t use the phrase “Chinese food” either isn’t that racist also? Didn’t think so

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
But that works both ways. It is trivial. But extremists on the right have spent a week insisting it must be called the Chinese flu- as if it matters now.

scientiests don’t call it that. Docotors aren’t calling it that. A few people with a political ax to grind are calling it that.

I’ll stick with the great majority of the scientists and medical professionals on it instead of the political actors and talk show hosts.
Wow all the shit happening in the world today and you get your panties in a wad because someone uses the term “Chinese flu”. Get a life and stop using that racist term Chinese food because you know you do

There is a video circulating where some reporter- who was obviously a plant but it was as real of an interaction as anything the media feeds us these days- asked the President if he felt using the term “Chinese food” is racist. Obviously nobody, including Chinese people, thinks it is. So while the interaction was clearly orchestrated, I honestly felt it makes a solid point... What is racist about calling it a “Chinese virus” because it originated in China? I legitimately do not get it. Why was it racist to call it the “kung flu”? That is a pretty witty joke TBH... If they were talking about food, it is ok, but a disease is not? There was no racial slur used in the joke... they did not use the term “chink” I believe is the dirty word for Asian folk right? No comments about slanting eyes or comparably ignorant stuff..

There has been no narrative from our government that I am aware of accusing the people of China of deliberately doing anything wrong to encourage the spread or prevalence of this disease, it just happened to originate in China. Noting that should not cause rational people to want to inflict harm on Asian people. Now, their government is trying to accuse us of deliberately creating this virus and sending infected people to China to spread it. This of course is a completely insane notion, and our administration cannot even call it a Chinese virus? Making up lies to frame us as an evil people guilty of creating and intentionally spreading a deadly virus all over the world= racist! VERY RACIST... or what is the “racist like” term for denigrating an entire regime/population of various ethnicities living in one country? Bigotry of some sort for sure... The Chinese are very guilty of promoting an agenda to smear and insult us all. But, We say that food from China is Chinese food and a virus from China is a Chinese virus... so we are racist? Seriously... We have bigger problems to worry about.

Reactions: ansoncock
Everybody was kung flu fighting,
The virus was fast as lightning,
The cough was a little bit frightening,
But it spread with expert timing.

Apologies to Carl Douglas.

Reactions: BlueCord86
It probably wouldn't have been an issue had we not already been in a trade war with China. The right has been stressing the use of the term "Chinese" to add the virus to the list of perceived attacks of the Chinese against the US. The problem with that is you have idiots out there who take it one step further and verbally attack Chinese Americans in this country. I've got a friend on Facebook, that when all of this started, he thought it was funny because he got on an elevator with a Chinese person and began spraying the buttons down with lysol after the Chinese man pushed them.

Can't be real. All white Republicans say this stuff is made up. Marcus should've just obeyed the speed limit.

I am a white conservative and I think this police activity is terrible. Notice I did not say Republican but I vote that way because of the lack of candidates on the other side who represent my views. If that type of police activity is going on it needs to be looked at seriously and action taken. But, what is it that would inspire you to make a statement like that. I do not know or associate with a single person who would think that type of police activity is ok. With few exceptions, my friends, relations and associates are Republicans and would be appalled at such police activity. Smart people know it goes on and it needs to be stopped. Just because we don’t march in the street does not mean we are ALL racists.

Until something else becomes public you only have one side of the story and people rarely provide an account that doesn’t make them look the best in every situation.
So you're saying Marcus and his wife may not be 100% honest in their explanation/description of what they were forced to go through??? By all means please clarify your point there!

Reactions: howard13
I didn’t call anyone racist. If you are going to get upset and whine about my posts, at least quote something I actually said.

Why should he? You won't can't provide evidence of your specious claim that "Plenty" of Fox News hosts said Obama was importing Ebola.

So you're saying Marcus and his wife may not be 100% honest in their explanation/description of what they were forced to go through??? By all means please clarify your point there!
Haven’t we seen enough of this to know it does happen that people use social media to post their version of events that don’t always mirror what really occurred? People always post things to their version of events. It doesn’t mean they are lying they just perceived a series of actions to be one way that really weren’t. That plays out time and time again on criminal investigations when eye witness often recall completely different things because they are applying their own biases and beliefs to the events.

The fact that it’s Lattimore’s wife and then he himself doesn’t change my opinion in any way about social media experience sharing.

I’ll give you an example. I was dialing through the radio yesterday while traveling and a caller to some show was telling the host about something he was doing for a neighbor. He kept saying “the virus,”. He was simply telling the host about what seemed to be a feel good story,

the host corrected him 2-3 times and said the name was “Chinese Virus.” The caller didn’t take the bait, and wasn’t calling about that. The host had a problem and he wasn’t going to get distracted off his obsession of referring to it just like Trump does. the caller never took the bait and just ignored it. It was clear he didn’t want to talk about what the name was. But the host sure did because he’s trying to turn it into a political debate.

no, I am not prone to give Trump credit for much. Even when he does good, he steps all over his own feet with his childhood name calling and personal insults. So you are correct about that.

And that radio host's name was what? That recounting of what happened sounds like you have the ability to read minds, both the host and the callers, otherwise that's a pretty flimsy example of what you said. Your original post said the usual suspects, who of the usual suspects corrected anybody and as you said "insisted" they call it "the Chinese Flu".

I have no doubt that you can read minds, almost every liberal I know is possessed of that ability, as well as super-hearing, the ability to interpret "dog-whistles".

Hes’s “essentially family” to you?

Doesn’t make it right, doesn’t mean he was potentially guilty of trafficking drugs, but they were obviously looking for someone specific.

Yes, the young man 'tis indeed "family" to me! I spent time with him back when I did the "folks walking around WillyB in yellow shirts" as a part time job in 2013 (i.e. security stuff)!! He's a wonderful youngman to whom the very thought of of being affiliated w/ something/anything illegal has NEVER even remotely crossed his mind in the slightest!!!

And to be frank, and as one whom has been through similar scenarios back while doing night surveys of bank atm's, I can tell you first hand that cops can be and are aggressive assholes who accuse you of breaking the law just to try to piss you off so you'll say/talk more to them!

I have experienced such to the point to where now-a-days, no matter what the situation may be, I DO NOT TALK TO COPS no more than to explain to them that I don't answer any questions without the presence of my attorney, and No I do not give them permission to search my automobile!!

I feel for Marcus in regards to this issue, I mean I really do. The youngman by no means deserved to be treated the way he and his wife were; and YES by all means am I picking his side and his "story" from the get go!!

Haven’t we seen enough of this to know it does happen that people use social media to post their version of events that don’t always mirror what really occurred? People always post things to their version of events. It doesn’t mean they are lying they just perceived a series of actions to be one way that really weren’t. That plays out time and time again on criminal investigations when eye witness often recall completely different things because they are applying their own biases and beliefs to the events.

The fact that it’s Lattimore’s wife and then he himself doesn’t change my opinion in any way about social media experience sharing.
So "social media" is your stand huh??

Whatever dude. Again, having been through a very similar scenario, I can tell you firsthand exactly how humiliating and overwhelming such an experience can be!! ESPECIALLY for a wonderful young man like Marcus Lattimore, who JUST SO HAPPENS to be out on an excursion with the love of his life in attempt to identify with his future and to find his path!!

The timing of what he was forced to go through could not have occurred at a worse moment.

Cops/Leo's can be overly aggressive bastards who couldn't careless about a potential arrestee's future nor basic well-being. The vast majority of those type individuals simply "get-off" on "cuffin' and stuffin'" someone simply so as to address their very own lack of self-esteem.

If by chance you are a cop/leo, and if the content of what I've posted here has upset you, well so be it. If you're not such (a cop), then so be that as-well.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Chinese Virus is not a racist comment . Got any links of Trump being racist?

“Chinese food” (you’ve been discussing this) is descriptive of the type of food. It is not racist in any way. “Chinese virus” is not descriptive. The phrase was coined as a way to blame and thus negatively portray people of a specific nationality for the corona virus. That is textbook racism.

I’m not going to link anything but it’s pretty easy to do a google search for “trump racist comments” and find plenty of articles quoting him. If you don’t find his comments racist, take a good look in the mirror.

“Chinese food” (you’ve been discussing this) is descriptive of the type of food. It is not racist in any way. “Chinese virus” is not descriptive. The phrase was coined as a way to blame and thus negatively portray people of a specific nationality for the corona virus. That is textbook racism.

I’m not going to link anything but it’s pretty easy to do a google search for “trump racist comments” and find plenty of articles quoting him. If you don’t find his comments racist, take a good look in the mirror.
It wasn't coined to blame anyone. It was coined that way because it's where it comes from. Just like most every virus is named for where it's from. You can see racism in anything if you try hard enough.

You could probably also google ‘Trump’s not racist’ and get some pretty interesting results back.

Reactions: howard13
Why do people bite when the same dipshts turn every thread political?

Reactions: Gaimcock

Weak sauce......your post is loaded with virtue signaling. Is the West Nile Virus racist? the Spanish Flu? Your argument is ridiculous and just silly. You’re looking for racism so you can stand up for the oppressed in order to impress your liberal friends. Quick, Go tell them how you straighten out those racist on FGF. Good job, I’m sure you’re smugly pleased with yourself

Last night I was reading about several incidents where Chinese Americans were being verbally attacked in public by people yelling at them that they caused the “Chinese virus” - I assume taking their cues from the politically charged discussion about the virus.

one journalist posted screen shots where someone on Facebook had called her some very disgusting names and talked about the shape of her eyes... also threatening her with violence. it was awful.

that’s why I hate to see people calling it the “Chinese virus.” It’s not that I care they describe where it came from. It’s because I know people WILL take that phrase and try to punish innocent Chinese people. I also know the people really pushing that phrase also know that some innocent people somewhere- somehow will end up hurt. It’s just awful, hateful behavior.
We live amongst utter morons. We see it here routinely with many of the local stalwarts

And that radio host's name was what? That recounting of what happened sounds like you have the ability to read minds, both the host and the callers, otherwise that's a pretty flimsy example of what you said. ".

Todd Herman. No, I can’t read minds. That’s silly. It doesn’t take “reading minds” to tell when a caller is clearly trying to talk about one thing and the host trying really hard to change the subject,

Weak sauce......your post is loaded with virtue signaling. Is the West Nile Virus racist? the Spanish Flu? Your argument is ridiculous and just silly. You’re looking for racism so you can stand up for the oppressed in order to impress your liberal friends. Quick, Go tell them how you straighten out those racist on FGF. Good job, I’m sure you’re smugly pleased with yourself

Don’t know about virtue signaling or racism any of that other stuff, but a couple of things:

The Spanish flu was called such because the Spanish media was the first to offer widespread reporting of its effects because, as a neutral country in WWI, it had no national security interest in covering up the damage it was causing. And that flu strain most likely didn’t originate in Spain.

Unlike “Chinese,” which is commonly used by English speakers to describe an ethnicity (among other things), the word “Spanish” isn’t commonly used to refer to an ethnicity. Maybe the analogy would be closer if it had been called the Hispanic flu and everyone had historically been cool with that; something tells me that might’ve raised some eyebrows, though.

And in any event, “West Nile” isn’t a race or even suggestive of one, just like multiple genetic mutations of Ebola (Zaire, Kikwit, Sudan, Ivory Coast, etc.) that are differentiated by geographic region. I get that “Chinese flu” is subject to the same sort of interpretation, but context does matter. At best, our president seems hacked that the Chinese government wasn’t forthcoming about the extent of the problem and uses the term as a pejorative to indicate that the pandemic is their fault. It seems reasonable to conclude (whether he is doing so out of racial animus or not), that the president’s continued use of the term has inspired some documented instances of bigoted (verbal) attacks on Asians in this country.

Last edited:
Sincere question for those in this post who say we are only getting one side of the story in the Marcus Lattimore situation: what fact or facts could reasonably come to light that would make this not be a violation of the Lattimores’ 4th Amendment rights against unlawful search and seizure?

Setting aside the race and drug dynamic completely, here is what we can reasonably assume are the most basic facts of the situation unless the Lattimores are just totally making the whole thing up:

1) The Lattimores were pulled over.

2) They were detained for a significant period of time while their property was searched. The Lattimores’ reaction to the situation indicates a strong possibility that they either a) didn’t consent to the search; or 2) consented under false pretenses/out of fear.

3) They were not charged with a crime, not issued a traffic citation or issued a warning. Therefore, they didn’t commit any cognizable crime other than the technical/de minimis offense of exceeding the speed limit within a range that is typically “acceptable.”

As I recall (and it’s been a while, so any criminal or constitutional lawyers feel free to correct me on this), even “reasonable suspicion,” which allows stop-and-frisk of pedestrians or open-view search of a vehicle, requires something more than speculation or a hunch that the detainee has or is about to commit a crime. For any more strenuous a search, probable cause is required.

The bar for demonstrating probable cause is significantly higher than for reasonable suspicion, and whatever that bar might be, I’m pretty confident that it would be nowhere near satisfied by two folks of a particular ethnicity sought as persons of interest who are driving what can be assumed to be a common, mass-produced passenger car.

If the Lattimores acted nervous, that wouldn’t establish probable cause. Acting angry or belligerent or self-righteous isn’t a crime, and exhibiting any of those traits wouldn’t have established probable cause either. Weapon in the car? If it was permitted, it certainly wouldn’t add to the totality of the circumstances to establish probable cause, and if a weapon weren’t permitted, it would’ve been a citable criminal offense.

The only reasonable scenario I could see exculpating the responding officers is if the Lattimores freely and without fear or coercion consented to a search (something there’s almost never a good reason to do) and then became angry after the fact that the search took way too long. Otherwise, there seem to be very few reasonably possible circumstances that would have made the detainment and search righteous. Even if race played no role in the incident, very little about this situation seems right from a constitutional perspective regardless of what other side might come out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT