ADVERTISEMENT

So my wife got a big bonus and she wants a new SUV ??

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
Piggybacking off Judson’s post . Told her to wait but happy wife happy life and if she gets a new car I get a new guitar so win win . So our budget is $35 to $45 and used but low miles is ok . She wants all the bells and whistles (I have roll down windows and pull up locks in my truck ) . She’s looking at Rav 4’s , Cherokee’s etc etc stuff like that . Any recommendations??

Reactions: Judson1
Piggybacking off Judson’s post . Told her to wait but happy wife happy life and if she gets a new car I get a new guitar so win win . So our budget is $35 to $45 and used but low miles is ok . She wants all the bells and whistles (I have roll down windows and pull up locks in my truck ) . She’s looking at Rav 4’s , Cherokee’s etc etc stuff like that . Any recommendations??
Highlander.

So, what guitar you got in mind?

I’ve got waY more electrics than I should. I have been developing a hankering for a nice vintage D28 with a history, $5k or so.

Toyota Highlander. I found a 2016 with all the bells and whistles and < 50,000 miles for under $25,000. Best car I have ever owned. You ought to be able to find one 2 years old with 20,000 miles or less in your price range.

BTW, I drive a 2006 Ford F-150 but it does have power windows.

Highlander.

So, what guitar you got in mind?

I’ve got waY more electrics than I should. I have been developing a hankering for a nice vintage D28 with a history, $5k or so.

Haha I’ve really got the Tele bug . The last guitar I bought was a Suhr and it’s hands down the best guitar I’ve played . I’ve got two strats , a 78’ Les Paul , a McCarty PRS , but the Suhr is on another level . Suhr makes some beautiful Tele’s so that’s probably gonna be the next member of the family . Always wanted a sunburst tele with Rosewood . The maple is just a little too twangy for me on those tele bridge pickups . You can’t go wrong with a D28 !! Beautiful guitars and hard to beat the tone . Just a little above my pay grade lol .

I'd say get a 4Runner. One of the most reliable vehicles anywhere. Plus they look good and hold their value better than almost any vehicle. I've got one and I love it. Mines older, (an 05) and I just bought it kind of as a toy, and because it has 4wd but now I almost never drive anything else. I have a Tundra and a Camry and since I got the 4Runner they just sit 90% of the time.

Haha I’ve really got the Tele bug . The last guitar I bought was a Suhr and it’s hands down the best guitar I’ve played . I’ve got two strats , a 78’ Les Paul , a McCarty PRS , but the Suhr is on another level . Suhr makes some beautiful Tele’s so that’s probably gonna be the next member of the family . Always wanted a sunburst tele with Rosewood . The maple is just a little too twangy for me on those tele bridge pickups . You can’t go wrong with a D28 !! Beautiful guitars and hard to beat the tone . Just a little above my pay grade lol .
Yeah...I got that tele bug too

Martin....you can’t go wrong

My wife wants an expedition, from what I can tell 40k miles and loaded limited will run about $45k

I'd say get a 4Runner. One of the most reliable vehicles anywhere. Plus they look good and hold their value better than almost any vehicle. I've got one and I love it. Mines older, (an 05) and I just bought it kind of as a toy, and because it has 4wd but now I almost never drive anything else. I have a Tundra and a Camry and since I got the 4Runner they just sit 90% of the time.

Nice I’ve head nothing but great things about them . Problem down here is a 4 runner with 30K is still going for $40,000 . We looked into the 4Runners but they were ungodly expensive even for used

Lexus RX 350- these things are bulletproof
Just switched from this to a truck for functionality. But the RX 350 has so many bells took 2 months to discover all of them. Plus is smoothest ride. I heard another person talked about 4Runner vs Highlander- about the same size car, my friend has a 4Runner and only knock is that it’s built off the Tacoma frame so it drives like a truck, so not as comfortable of a ride as the Highlander but good for hauling a boat.

Just go for it

Maury is a great guy and will give you the best new price.

Maurys music
I’ve had a D16 for years and it’s got character, but I don’t want something new, I want something pre-loved with a history. A friend had a D28 his wife at the time got him that was supposedly once owned by Gregg Allman’s sister lol. They got divorced, she took the guitar, he died, and I lost track. I try to keep my ears open for estate sales etc. Its become fashionable among younger guys to throw shade at high end Martins, but to my ear there’s nothing to compare with those tones and that big ol’ sound hole.

Happy for you. Nothing more versatile than the traditional Tele configuration. The sunburst with rosewood should be a beautiful guitar.

Tell her she’d look sexier in a pick up :)

Lexus GX 460, you can get a 2018-2019 with less than 30k miles for around $40k. Test drive one, it is hard to find anything that compares.

Reactions: Zann77
I best not look....I could become overcome with GAS

Lol my GAS is on another level . I literally have two drawers full of pedals . Probably have $10,000 worth . Some of them I bought , used at 1 gig and then threw it in the drawer and never used again . I went thru it a few months ago and counted 17 overdrives !!! Why the hell did I buy 17 overdrives . I could probably pay cash for her car if I sold all those pedals !!!

Congrats. Hope the bonuses are each year. The new president likes high gas prices and adding taxes on top of it. Look for prices to double. Like they say. Erections have consequences . :)

Her boss has more money than the King of Persia !! Haha. Not to worried . I think his dog Walker makes 70K

My wife wants an expedition, from what I can tell 40k miles and loaded limited will run about $45k
If you are willing to pay that much, let me know. I’ll go buybone with less mikes and sell it to you. I’ll make a very nice profit. $30-35K tops for what you just described.

If you are willing to pay that much, let me know. I’ll go buybone with less mikes and sell it to you. I’ll make a very nice profit. $30-35K tops for what you just described.
You might want to look again. I have been looking at auto trader for weeks. Have not seen a 2019 level 2 limited expedition for less than $43k. Even Kelly blue book values them at more than 30-35

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
Nice I’ve head nothing but great things about them . Problem down here is a 4 runner with 30K is still going for $40,000 . We looked into the 4Runners but they were ungodly expensive even for used
My wife drives a highlander and she’s loved it. I would have preferred a 4Runner, they have a lot more power but like you mentioned a lot more price!
The highlander has been good for us, we’ve driven it coast to coast and it’s handled well on various terrain. Pretty good gas mileage too. And Toyotas will last you a long time

One word of advice regardless of what make or model is to completely test the navigation system and/or phone connectivity before you buy. Toyota has always been a little behind the competition on the tech front.
We bought ours used and didn’t care about the fancy stuff because it was a too good of a deal to pass up, but the GPS in ours sucks. I think the newer models have CarPlay, but the 2017 built in GPS is junk. The Bluetooth for music and phone calls is good though.

My wife has a 2016 Highlander. It is her 2nd Highlander. Loves it.. recommends to everyone..

Don't forget your big bonus comes with a big tax rate also... At least it does for most people...

Last edited:
We bought a Mazda CX-5. It is comparable to the Rav4. We intended to get a RAV4 but read the reviews and the CX5 had the best reviews across the board. It is sporty but drives really well on long trips. Very comfortable and the inside feels like a much more expensive vehicle. It is not as big as a highlander, buy it has a nice amount of cargo room and a spacious back seat. You can get a new one in your price range, but if I were buying new I would wait two or three months.

The wife gets a $35-45,000 SUV, and you get a guitar That's must be a nice guitar or a really happy wife.

my wife got a new 2020 Rav4 LE over the summer and we love it! You should be able to get all the bells and whistles in your price range! Plus it is a Toyota so you will probably die before it does.

Reactions: uscfootfan
Honda CRV only way to go.
This. We are a CRV family. For 30-32 you can put her in a new one. She will love it, and take the rest and buy you this Springsteen telecaster.

" Climb in back, baby we're heading out on the track......." A little Thunder Road for both of you.

She should consider a Kia Soul Turbo and bank the rest. My wife likes hers far better than the Rav4 and CRV. It's smaller but you wouldn't know it from the interior room, comfort, and superior ride. A bonus is its kick ass performance. The turbo comes only one way and that's loaded.

We just bought a 2017 Cadillac XT5 that came off a 3-year lease. It's absolutely loaded and it looks like it had never been driven. First time I've ever owned a Caddy but so far I love it. I've always been partial to GM. I'll never buy a brand new car.

Congrats to your wife.
I'm curious as to what she does to receive a bonus check that must be the size of an annual salary for lots of people. Obviously not asking for specifics but just curious if she's in sales or what.

Check all reviews and buy used a few years old with records. The cars of today are typically trouble free, so there is no reason to buy new. Do your homework, and go to carmax so she can drive different vehicles. Then buy anywhere after checking it out completely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT