ADVERTISEMENT

So proud of the fans last night...

I'm always proud of our fans. It's easy to cheer when you are winning championships. We are there through thick and thin.
Which is why we'll never have a winner here. Edwards said people would be there. No one will demand the change that needs to be made when it needs to be made. I'm not saying I'm unhappy fans turned out. I just wish we (as a fan base) wouldn't celebrate how much we love it when we lose.

Which is why we'll never have a winner here. Edwards said people would be there. No one will demand the change that needs to be made when it needs to be made. I'm not saying I'm unhappy fans turned out. I just wish we (as a fan base) wouldn't celebrate how much we love it when we lose.
I would not change our loyal fanbase for anything. It is one thing we have always been admired for.

I would not change our loyal fanbase for anything. It is one thing we have always been admired for.
I've never understood the human condition of identifying with our suffering. It's like the more you suffer, the more pain you put yourself through, the better person you must be. I don't buy it. It's a terribly flawed mentality, and an incredibly inept set of criteria by which to judge worthiness.

I don't buy this argument, and here's why. If staying away from games made teams winners, places like Rutgers, Illinois, and Kansas would be powerhouses. Their fan pretty much quit going to games a long time ago, and they always suck (even more than us). Fans staying home never forced their athletic directors to all of the sudden decide to do what it takes to win.

In contrast, and I know it's a different sport, look at the Red Sox. They always have had a large following even when they went 100 years without winning a world series and generally not being that good. They never quit being loyal. Ultimately, things turned around and they've been winning World Series' fairly regularly for the last 15 years. Loyal fans are an asset to a program.

We won last night and the fan support contributed.

I don't buy this argument, and here's why. If staying away from games made teams winners, places like Rutgers, Illinois, and Kansas would be powerhouses. Their fan pretty much quit going to games a long time ago, and they always suck (even more than us). Fans staying home never forced their athletic directors to all of the sudden decide to do what it takes to win.

In contrast, and I know it's a different sport, look at the Red Sox. They always have had a large following even when they went 100 years without winning a world series and generally not being that good. They never quit being loyal. Ultimately, things turned around and they've been winning World Series' fairly regularly for the last 15 years. Loyal fans are an asset to a program.
The Red Sox won because they finally hired the right people (Billy Beane and Bill James). You can have all the fan support you want but if clowns are running the show then all you’re going to get is a circus. The right people have to run the show in order to get success that is desired. Rutgers, Kansas and Illinois all had good seasons because they had the right people running the show at the time. Illinois went to the Rose Bowl, Kansas won the Orange and Rutgers had a couple really good years when Ray Rice was there.

I've never understood the human condition of identifying with our suffering. It's like the more you suffer, the more pain you put yourself through, the better person you must be. I don't buy it. It's a terribly flawed mentality, and an incredibly inept set of criteria by which to judge worthiness.

Your characterization is way off. No one has a perfect life or perfect result in everything they do. It’s how you handle the adversity that makes or breaks you. Also if you lose I sure as heck hope you take a lesson from it and get better. It doesn’t mean your accepting anything.

Last edited:
The Red Sox won because they finally hired the right people (Billy Beane and Bill James). You can have all the fan support you want but if clowns are running the show then all you’re going to get is a circus. The right people have to run the show in order to get success that is desired. Rutgers, Kansas and Illinois all had good seasons because they had the right people running the show at the time. Illinois went to the Rose Bowl, Kansas won the Orange and Rutgers had a couple really good years when Ray Rice was there.

True re: the Sox, but it wasn't because their fans quit supporting them prior to them making the right moves. Rutgers, Kansas, and Illinois had few good seasons in their histories, but generally they're worse than we usually are and with much less fan support. Lack of fan support does not equal wins.

Reactions: IPOC369
we didn't listen to the "stay away" crowd. It was awesome to see the place packed and loud. The players deserve it.

If you were at the game, you know it wasn't packed. There were thousands of empty seats. It was relatively loud, however, and there were a lot more people there and rowdy than if it had been another day game.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If you were at the game, you know it wasn't packed. There were thousands of empty seats. It was relatively loud, however, and there were a lot more people there and rowdy than if it had been another day game.
Sorry....I should have quoted the exact number for you, but keep that glass half empty attitude...I'm sure it works for you.

No game is "packed" any longer. There were empty seats at the Alabama game too.

The "sell out" is based on tickets sold and not actual attendance.

we didn't listen to the "stay away" crowd. It was awesome to see the place packed and loud. The players deserve it.
we will see how long, that will last, you can keep muschamp and tanner and the rest of that sorry bunch of coaches, and i will keep my money and stay home.

That is what is wrong we are a fan base, of losers, and not winners, the fan base,will not demand a change to be made.

I’d rather win a national championship. You are being taken advantage of. Tanner stated as much. Info, barring a miracle we will finish with between 3-5 wins. Our rivals enjoy that we have Tanner and Muschump
Nobody wants that sorry AD and coach but the gamecocks, we will lose a lot , and we will not get better.

Agree but why do so many fans leave so early? it cost so much now if i am going to spend that much i am staying to the end....and it does not matter about score,weather. or anything they leave early.

Reactions: IPOC369
True re: the Sox, but it wasn't because their fans quit supporting them prior to them making the right moves. Rutgers, Kansas, and Illinois had few good seasons in their histories, but generally they're worse than we usually are and with much less fan support. Lack of fan support does not equal wins.
You're also missing the point that it's not the level of fan support, but the RELATIVE level. None of those schools have had large or passionate fan bases. The idea is to send a large message by enacting a change on this end. A message the powers that be will see and hopefully enact change on their end. It's not about abandoning the team or school at all. At least, not long term.

Except that that's not the case.

I just wish we (as a fan base) wouldn't celebrate how much we love it when we lose.
You seem confused

Agree but why do so many fans leave so early? it cost so much now if i am going to spend that much i am staying to the end....and it does not matter about score,weather. or anything they leave early.
Nothing new...when I was a student in the 80's people left early.

Reactions: rogue cock and PC31
Here is what last night proves. All of you haters and whiners ( I estimate 15 hardcore haters with gamecock degrees on this board I suppose) mean nothing. You have no effect except some cathartic experience for yourself that I suppose follows temper tantrums. We had a GREAT time at the game. You know how many fans I talked to that were hoping we would lose so we could get a new coach.

None.

Not a single one. Sure we will lose again, sure we will have hurt feelings. But last night is gone forever and can never be lived again. But it was great living at that time. So....70k of us ignored ALL OF YOU. maybe we had such a good time because y’all stayed home. Feel free to keep that up. Y’all spent all that time hating and hoping to undermine our team. Y’all failed. Your return on investment is atrocious. Maybe that’s why y’all have so much time to hate, you got nothing else.

Go Cocks!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT