ADVERTISEMENT

So WBB can't host a tourny game because of the men's tourny?

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
Last night was the first I heard about this conflict. That's not good. MBB better make the tournament...and advance because they can't play the 1st and 2nd rounds at home. No pressure, guys. :)

It's true. Many talked about this conflict when it was announced we'd have March Madness here. However I believe we can still "host" at a nearby arena. I believe there was talk then about us contacting Greenville to use Bon Secours if we were ranked high enough to host.

Thanks for that info. That would actually be pretty cool. Myrtle Beach, Charleston would be options too, I would think. I thought our team would have to travel to the arena of another team in our bracket.

Thanks for that info. That would actually be pretty cool. Myrtle Beach, Charleston would be options too, I would think. I thought our team would have to travel to the arena of another team in our bracket.
I don't think we will end up hosting this year anyway, so it will more than likely be a moot point. Most of the talk was assuming we were one of the top teams, as we've been in recent years, that would be rewarded with hosting. It could still happen, and would be a nice puzzle to have to solve.

I don't think we will end up hosting this year anyway, so it will more than likely be a moot point. Most of the talk was assuming we were one of the top teams, as we've been in recent years, that would be rewarded with hosting. It could still happen, and would be a nice puzzle to have to solve.

We only have to be top 16. I think we'll be there. Creame currently has us hosting (of course he has us in UCONN's regional :rolleyes: )

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Reactions: roosterbell
I don't think we have to worry about it. But in case we do, does not hosting mean not hosting anywhere, or not hosting on our campus? I would have thought the NCAA wouldn't want us to pull spectators away from the Dance to any venue in the state.

We had some early growing pains, but I'd have to agree with you. We should finish in the top 16 if we continue to play at this level.

It would stink to have to play elsewhere if we earn one of those 16 seeds. It's always easier to advance in the friendly confines.

I don't think we have to worry about it. But in case we do, does not hosting mean not hosting anywhere, or not hosting on our campus? I would have thought the NCAA wouldn't want us to pull spectators away from the Dance to any venue in the state.
We can't host on our campus since the MBB March Madness is here. But we could conceivably go to Greenville or other arenas in the state. The only spectators I could see being "pulled away" would be Gamecocks who would go watch the Lady G's play vs seeing random MBB teams play here. But you'll have plenty of those teams' fans here anyway.

MBB March Madness - $240.00 a ticket for upper level - I'll watch at home.

We can't host on our campus since the MBB March Madness is here. But we could conceivably go to Greenville or other arenas in the state. The only spectators I could see being "pulled away" would be Gamecocks who would go watch the Lady G's play vs seeing random MBB teams play here. But you'll have plenty of those teams' fans here anyway.
Thanks. It will probably diminish student attendance somewhat, but it's better than playing in someone else's arena.

Is there a venue in Myrtle large enough ? I suppose North Charleston Arena is big enough.

Do our students even get an allotment for purchase for March Madness at the CLA so they can attend if they want? I honestly don't know.
I don't know, either. I think thy would have a preferred purchasing option. All I know is that taking the event away from campus would mean fewer would be likely to attend.

I can see zero correlation between Gamecock WBB hosting at Bon Secours or at North Charleston. The cheapest seat for the worst session is $105.00.

As lawcalcock noted, having the men's tournament here is huge for Columbia. Saw a report that it will bring millions of revenue into the city, so it's a no-brainer to do it.

Unfortunately, the women will likely have to play somewhere NOT in SC this year even if they earn the right to host. NCAA has a rule that alternate host sites can only be 30 miles from campus. There is nothing within 30 miles that can be a host site (big enough venue, hotels etc). NCAA can always make an exception I guess, but when has the NCAA ever done South Carolina any extra favors?

I don't know, either. I think thy would have a preferred purchasing option. All I know is that taking the event away from campus would mean fewer would be likely to attend.

I don't think they would. Wouldn't it be more likely for the 4 schools playing students have preferred purchasing option? As for the ladies games I wouldn't think it would hurt their support as long as the game is played in the state and not in whoever the next seeded team's home court.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I don't think they would. Wouldn't it be more likely for the 4 schools playing students have preferred purchasing option? As for the ladies games I wouldn't think it would hurt their support as long as the game is played in the state and not in whoever the next seeded team's home court.
Maybe we'll get to guage that.

Probably not. One thing that kept us from hosting MBB before was limited hotel meeting space. Ample meeting space within the hotels for teams, media, NCAA officials, etc was more the issue than number of rooms.
Well no! The flag was the only thing that kept us from hosting. As soon it came down, SC was awarded regionals at the first possible opportunity.

As lawcalcock noted, having the men's tournament here is huge for Columbia. Saw a report that it will bring millions of revenue into the city, so it's a no-brainer to do it.

Unfortunately, the women will likely have to play somewhere NOT in SC this year even if they earn the right to host. NCAA has a rule that alternate host sites can only be 30 miles from campus. There is nothing within 30 miles that can be a host site (big enough venue, hotels etc). NCAA can always make an exception I guess, but when has the NCAA ever done South Carolina any extra favors?

The NCAA has the option of waiving that requirement. I'm not saying they will, but it's possible. One possibility is that Clemson gets a 5 seed in our pod and the sub-regional is there. We would still have the most fans, by far, at that location. As much as I hate Clemson, that might work out for our fans.

Probably not. One thing that kept us from hosting MBB before was limited hotel meeting space. Ample meeting space within the hotels for teams, media, NCAA officials, etc was more the issue than number of rooms.

Sad but true. Ncaa in politics is BS.
I say that no matter what side of an argument one is on

Well no! The flag was the only thing that kept us from hosting. As soon it came down, SC was awarded regionals at the first possible opportunity.
The first year we were eligible to host (recently) was when the NCAA pulled the bid from Greensboro a few months before the the tourney was to start. Greenville got the bid because there were not the required 500+ hotel vacancies in Columbia that weekend; there was some type of convention going on downtown. When the tourney came up for bid during the regular cycle, Columbia was awarded the first bid in SC and Greenville will host next year.

This worked out well for the Gamecocks as we got to play Duke in SC rather than Greensboro, their home away from home.

Would Greenville or Carolina Coliseum be a possibility?
Greenville yes.
Carolina Coliseum no. Columbia has already committed the hotel space to MBB that weekend.
The Carolina Coliseum is not set up to host games anymore. In 2014 seats were removed and 2 full size practice courts were put in. It is now the practice facility for both men’s and women’s basketball.

USC is negotiating with a couple instate locations to host.

We could host in Greenville, Charleston, Rock Hill or even Florence. Myrtle Beach doesn’t have a big enough arena.
None of those are an option that weekend. USC is looking at possibly UNC- Charlotte or maybe even UGA as locations according to Tanner last Friday. USC would have to rent the venue and also provide the staff for either. One of USC’s criteria for a site is to seat at least 9,000. USC is trying to keep the women as close as they can to Columbia if possible. The problem with any other location is the logistics of running and staffing 2 locations at the same time.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT