ADVERTISEMENT

So, what defines a great coach compared to a bad coach?

Burninlove

Mar 28, 2013
When Dabo was calling plays Clemson was mediocre. Gene Chiznik won a natty and was gone shortly after. Charlie Weiss was supposed to be some incredible coach. People on this board are against Muschamp. He was a great coordinator for LSU, Texas etc.. I think a great coach is defined by time and circumstances.
Spurrier was a great coach. He had a couple down years at the end for us. But he excelled at schools that never excelled.
Rarely does instant success equivicate to long term success.

When Dabo was calling plays Clemson was mediocre. Gene Chiznik won a natty and was gone shortly after. Charlie Weiss was supposed to be some incredible coach. People on this board are against Muschamp. He was a great coordinator for LSU, Texas etc.. I think a great coach is defined by time and circumstances.
Spurrier was a great coach. He had a couple down years at the end for us. But he excelled at schools that never excelled.
Winning.
Just think if Spurrier had Booms work ethic and care for recruiting, he would be unstoppable.

Dabo knew and saw his weakness so he hired great people around him.

Gene Chizik had Cam Newton and that’s his one year of success.

Great coaches are those that win, make the players play above their ability. That’s why Saban is such an amazing coach, he gets every bit out of his players and assistants.

Whoever recruits the best wins....coaching is a little overrated. Most 4/5* kids coming out of HS already possess the skills and is easier to win with those type players with less "coaching".

Whoever recruits the best wins....coaching is a little overrated. Most 4/5* kids coming out of HS already possess the skills and is easier to win with those type players with less "coaching".
While I believe recruiting is of huge importance, quality coaching is imperative. If you don't have a good o line, d line coaches and coordinators, you won't win big, no matter how well recruiting gues.

Dat boy isnt a great coach but he is killing it and most of his coaches are home grown in 1 way or another...but you are correct you have to be somewhat a pretty good coach to hone in the small stuff

Dat boy isnt a great coach but he is killing it and most of his coaches are home grown in 1 way or another...but you are correct you have to be somewhat a pretty good coach to hone in the small stuff
I agree. I think Tommy Bowden had the pieces in place but needed a couple more key players and innovation. That’s where Chad Morris and venables came in.
Just think if they had fired Dabo after 5 in a row to us and the WV debacle.
So, I give Muschamp 4 more years with his staff and players then decide after that. His best player now seems to be a freshman with Horn.
Firing a coach never looks good for a university nor for recruiting etc..
I wasn’t a fan of Muschamp. I am now because I have met him and am impressed.

Spurrier OC, Muschamp DC and director of recruiting. Co head coaches. Problem solved.
Yeah, a dream team. Or could hire Kliff Kingsbury from Texas Tech as OC. Look what he does with QBs. His freshman QB is setting B12 records. Somehow he missed on Baker and didn't keep him around.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Yeah, a dream team. Or could hire Kliff Kingsbury from Texas Tech as OC. Look what he does with QBs. His freshman QB is setting B12 records. Somehow he missed on Baker and didn't keep him around.
Kingsbury was the QB on the TT team that destroyed the taters in the bowl game, something like 55-15. I always loved that they kept throwing it late in the game. That made me a Mike Leach fan for life!

That's a true freshman qb as well. Kingsbury is a great offensive mind.

What makes a great head coach?
His record.

But, and I've heard this more than once -- it's not about what a coach knows, it's whether he can translate that knowledge to players. To get them to understand what they're doing and then do it. They've got to be able to motivate players, lead staffs and politic with fans and boosters.

There's also some luck involved. Would Auburn or Clemson have a national title in this day and age without Cam or Deshaun Watson? A season ending injury to either could've spelled the end of those championship seasons.

I think coaches are fired too fast these days. You look at some of the greats -- Bear Bryant and Eddie Robinson come to mind -- and both had down seasons throughout their careers (Bear only had one losing season, but he had some 6-5 marks in there too).

I also know there are coaches who win later in their careers after years of successful but not great football. Jerry Moore at Appalachian State, for example. He started coaching at North Texas in 1979, but didn't win his first I-AA championship with the Mountaineers until 2005 (he'd been there 16 years, and in 2004 fans were calling for his head after a 6-5 record. The team went on to win three straight national titles).
I don't think anybody would now argue that Moore isn't a great football coach, but before 2005 there were lots of folks up there in Boone, NC wanting him gone.

I think the jury's out on whether Muschamp's going to be successful as a head coach. I think he can if he gets time and gets

And the pressures at an SEC school with the money involved are there so coaches don't get a lot of wiggle room.

Add the constant flow of information on the internet (the hype) and it's changed the dynamics surrounding college sports in ways I don't think anybody has figured out yet.

Spurrier had instant success at Florida

But, and I've heard this more than once -- it's not about what a coach knows, it's whether he can translate that knowledge to players. To get them to understand what they're doing and then do it. They've got to be able to motivate players, lead staffs and politic with fans and boosters.
I agree with all of that. A coach doesn't necessarily have to be an offensive or defensive wizard (though many great ones are). If he can get his players to execute the fundamentals and their game plan effectively, and minimize mistakes, he'll win a lot of games. Recruiting is important, but even the most talented team will lose with a bad coach.

A great coach is one who doesn't let attention to detail slide in any aspect of the program: recruiting, strength training, coaching/teaching, facilities, scouting, game day pepp, etc.

....And my life would be more exciting if Kate Upton left Justin Verlander and came knocking on my door
Yeah what does she see in a guy ten years her senior. We won't talk about his $150 million contract.

Spurrier OC, Muschamp DC and director of recruiting. Co head coaches. Problem solved.
Now that is funny!

funny-gif-man-basketball-head.gif

Thanks to his predecessor's recruiting "prowess."

But that probation thingy he took over also.
Spurrier never worked hard as a coach. He could just "fake it" on game day because he knew how to make it happen. That's why he got so frustrated with QBs who couldn't see it the same way as he did (remember, he won the Heisman) and would pull them.

That’s why Saban is such an amazing coach, he gets every bit out of his players and assistants.
Huh? He didn't do so well when 70%+ of his players weren't 4* or 5*. If he got "every bit" he'd be would NEVER lose.
(granted, he's only lost 3 games in the last 3 years).

Also, if he got "every bit" there'd be no benching of Hurts.

Honestly, how good would Saban be coaching this team? Would he be undefeated to this point? 5-1 at best.

Reactions: rogue cock
Huh? He didn't do so well when 70%+ of his players weren't 4* or 5*. If he got "every bit" he'd be would NEVER lose.
(granted, he's only lost 3 games in the last 3 years).

Also, if he got "every bit" there'd be no benching of Hurts.

Honestly, how good would Saban be coaching this team? Would he be undefeated to this point? 5-1 at best.
You answered you’re own questions. 3 losses? In 3 years. And he got every bit out of hurts, and was smart enough to go with the guy who helps them to win.

Here is my take...yes coaching is very important but i feel like quality players are way more important. look at it this way if you are a clowney or lattimore or many of alabama players how much coaching do you need. they will play well no matter what. Here is a simple question could saban win the sec at vandy i say no way

Here is my take...yes coaching is very important but i feel like quality players are way more important. look at it this way if you are a clowney or lattimore or many of alabama players how much coaching do you need. they will play well no matter what. Here is a simple question could saban win the sec at vandy i say no way
I disagree. Look what the coach(whatshisname)who hi-tailed it to PhewSU did at Vandy. USC could get a coach like Saban if it was willing to pay him enuff.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
What was Alabama before Saban got there other than a so-so team with a lot of history and dusty old trophies. Bama before Saban
2006 6-7
2005 10-2
2004 6-6
2003 4-9

When Saban took over Bama they were very similar to Tenn is now except Tenn had multiple 9 win season the last 4 years, so I would say a worse situation. Sabans first years:
2007 7 wins
2008 12 wins
2009 14 wins and the dominance continues

What was Alabama before Saban got there other than a so-so team with a lot of history and dusty old trophies. Bama before Saban
2006 6-7
2005 10-2
2004 6-6
2003 4-9

When Saban took over Bama they were very similar to Tenn is now except Tenn had multiple 9 win season the last 4 years, so I would say a worse situation. Sabans first years:
2007 7 wins
2008 12 wins
2009 14 wins and the dominance continues

A few years back I thought Meyer was the best coach in college football. I think he is number 2 now. Saban very well may be the greatest college football coach of all time.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
So yall actually think saban could win a sec championship at vandy?
I think it’s a loaded question. He won big at LSU and Bama. Schools with history. Now you have to add in the prestige of just being Saban. Like how Spurrier could walk into a living room and was a “living legend” Saban is like a “Demi-God” of football so to speak so players would go to Vandy just for him, and with SEC resources Vandy gets the pieces are there. Nashville is becoming one of the largest growing metro areas and is gonna be a hot bed for recruiting like Atlanta, and add the Stanford like academics draw for mama...I’m not saying he would win but the pieces are there he could.

A few years back I thought Meyer was the best coach in college football. I think he is number 2 now. Saban very well may be the greatest college football coach of all time.
With the talent that goes to OSU they should be going back and forth National Titles with Bama...I think Saban is superior. I also think Urban would still be at Florida if Cam Newton wouldn’t have been expelled.

95% of the time.....talent. There is little "coaching genius" that some want to think there is. Look at Vandy. As well coached as any team you will see all year, but can't win at a high level because they don't have the talent.

Reactions: rogue cock
C'mon with these Dabo ain't a good coach posts! Really? He has made great hires and he has recruited well. Coaches are not leaving in flocks, players stay longer than they should in most cases, he has like almost 80% wins with National and Conference championships.

Some people need to take off the glasses, realize Clemson is a good program. Now it's our job to catch up because I don't see Dabo moving backwards. I don't think there is another fanbase in the US that would say Dabo isn't a good coach. Time for us to accept and move forward! These dumb head in the sand posts drive me nuts!

But good for him! He will make between $38-50m in 10yrs with buyouts and then get another $2m a yr job as a DC somewhere

My all time favorite debate. There is no such thing as a great coach. There are some bad coaches and some coaches are better than others, but without players that are difference makers, no coach will win like Saban has. He is the same coach now as he was when he quit on Miami and the first year at Alabama when he lost 6 games, including Louisiana Monroe. Same with Dabo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT