ADVERTISEMENT

Sour grapes much, Duke recruiting!

Doesn't sound like he was lied to, unless the coaches knew for a fact Bagley was going to be part of that class.

Reactions: king ward
I wonder if Zion Williamson's parents are going to be pissed when he's only playing 15-18 mins a games and scoring around 8-10 points per game.

These all-world players should recognize there is only one ball. Everybody can't be all-world in that kind of program. Go to a small-world program and you have a better chance of getting the ball and you have a better chance to become all-world/

These all-world players should recognize there is only one ball. Everybody can't be all-world in that kind of program. Go to a small-world program and you have a better chance of getting the ball and you have a better chance to become all-world/
I couldn't have said it any better myself! If you go to a blueblood school be ready for some competition and don't be surprised if you don't see significant PT before you're a junior, if you last that long!

I couldn't have said it any better myself! If you go to a blueblood school be ready for some competition and don't be surprised if you don't see significant PT before you're a junior, if you last that long!
Or, you could be like Porter, Jr., who was injured during warm-ups of the first game of his freshman year, played hardly a lick after that (53 minutes all season), and still was taken with the 14th pick of the first round.

But the Duke folks, and UK, have fashioned a recruiting angle that is very attractive. One of these 5 stars could drop into a place like USC. Have all attention, and defenses, concentrated on him and folks will decide he isn't as great as everyone thought because he averages 12 pts a game. A kid goes to Duke, or UK, and you can have minimal stats but still get drafted high just because of potential and that you were in the mix with so many other great players.

Lol, scholarship players at big-time basketball schools rarely see a sophomore year. If you spend more than 2 years in school, you're not a lottery pick.

I'm confused...your son is the #7 pick overall and you're pissed? I wish as a parent I had that problem.
I agree. Apparently, whatever Duke and Coach K did during their son's time at Duke, it paid off for them since their son still went #7 in the draft. I think this all speaks to the sense of entitlement that these kids, and their parents, possess after years of being told their kid is the greatest thing to ever come along. They don't care about Duke and the tremendous value of an education from that school. It's all about the extent to which his time at Duke can get their boy on that stage on draft night. And, to that end, Duke lived up to its end of the bargain. Yet the parents are still pissed because it didn't happen exactly the way they thought it would.

Lol, scholarship players at big-time basketball schools rarely see a sophomore year. If you spend more than 2 years in school, you're not a lottery pick.
You're probably not seeing much playing time either, which says to me you might want to stay past your frosh, sophomore year because like you say you're not a lottery pick.

Wow. Not even pretending they cared anything about their son's education. Nailed that parenting thing.

Totally disagree. If one of my kids had had the chance to be the 7th pick in the draft after their freshman year, and a multi-millionaire, I should have had my parenting card pulled if I was the least bit concerned about their education.

Did Duke not practice at all? I mean, if you want to be the man you prove it in practice. He is a great player, just wasnt the best on his team.

Dude, that’s the entire point. He was promised to be the man and would have been the man had Bagley ll not reclassified. He knew , apparently, that Bagley II was better at this stage than him, but wasn’t concerned because Bagley ll was not supposed to be part of this class. Duke kept the fact that he, Bagley ll, was reclassifying from him in order to keep him part of the class.

Dude, that’s the entire point. He was promised to be the man and would have been the man had Bagley ll not reclassified. He knew , apparently, that Bagley II was better at this stage than him, but wasn’t concerned because Bagley ll was not supposed to be part of this class. Duke kept the fact that he, Bagley ll, was reclassifying from him in order to keep him part of the class.
Correct. I think a lot of people are looking at "he was promised he would be the man" and thinking that is what Coach K's 'lie' was...what the parents are really saying is they were lied to about Bagley coming in.
I can understand being upset by that. I would imagine K's recruiting pitch and proposed plan of usage for Carter was presented without the potential presence of Bagley. We've all heard of QBs being upset or even transferring when the coach brings in another QB in the same recruiting class.

Wow. Not even pretending they cared anything about their son's education. Nailed that parenting thing.

Wow

They were worried and are worried about their child’s future. With the level of involvement of his parents , I can almost guarantee you that his education has merely been delayed is part of the plan and they care. I don’t see how any reasonable person would fault him for securing his financial security

Wow

They were worried and are worried about their child’s future. With the level of involvement of his parents , I can almost guarantee you that his education has merely been delayed is part of the plan and they care. I don’t see how any reasonable person would fault him for securing his financial security
A month ago the mother was praising Coach K and her son's experience in college. Why the need to bad mouth and burn bridges if they are so concerned about his future? I don't fault the kid for anything. Good for him. It's his parents who sound like Mr. Ball.

A month ago the mother was praising Coach K and her son's experience in college. Why the need to bad mouth and burn bridges if they are so concerned about his future? I don't fault the kid for anything. Good for him. It's his parents who sound like Mr. Ball.

Yep, looks to me like the parents are failures. Their goal was to make their son the #1 pick and they failed. Can't blame the player or the coach or the school... they were the ones playing the game and they failed. Guess they should have done better but they'll just have to live with it. Sucks to be them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT