ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina’s Dawn Staley blasts NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the big anti-woman scenario Staley's response made it out to be.
But how can you be so sure?
They’re in a smaller venue than the men, which is why they were told ahead of time that a workout facility big enough to accommodate teams and staff while still social distancing wouldn’t be available until they’d cut to the Sweet 16.

UGA was proactive enough to provide extra equipment for their players (if it was even necessary).

Barring evidence that I’m wrong, I’m going to hazard a guess that we didn’t do it, and furthermore Dawn never requested it.

Heck of a contrast between Dawn and Joni Taylor. One professionally points out that they’re being treated very well, while pointing out it COULD be better.....the other complains about everything from NBA player tweets to how women may or may not be treated in a boardroom.

Dawn’s a great coach, but the finger pointing, race baiting, and complaining gets old.
We get it, you don't like Dawn Staley because she speaks her mind. But you're missing the part where the NCAA magically found the space and the equipment to supply for all the women after the backlash. The size of the venues wasn't the issue, it was the lack of respect given to the women's tournament. I like Joni Taylor and commend the effort she did, but it shouldn't be the requirement of the university to bus in its own equipment for the bare necessities, especially when their male counterparts didn't have such an issue. Dawn speaking out and using her platform, led to all 64 teams getting the option to train as normally as possible, instead of just the programs with funds to do so. So while you call it complaining, I call it getting results for betterment of sport.

I attended the Gold Medal Game in Women Soccer during the Atlanta Olympics. The 80,000 + fans in attendance might argue with you. I have tickets to both MBB and WBB at USC. As much as I enjoy Brant slam in a one-handed dunk, I also enjoy seeing one of our WBB guards swish in a three. Great performances are great performances.

So? I didn’t say nobody enjoyed women’s sports as much as men. Some certain do. Most don’t.

Reactions: CarlUSC
. . . however, the income inequality at USC comes from the TELEVISION side of the income sources. Women's BB at Carolina usually outdraws the men's program. Solution: the NCAA should tell the tv guys that they MUST pay out equal $$$ to televise men AND Women - without any offset reduction in payments for televising the males. SOLUTION!!!

The women may have a higher attendance, but the men even without TV still make more money than the women. Go look at the ticket prices and PSLs. The men games are far more expensive to attend.

You also can't tell "TV guy" to pay the same money. They have to make their investment on the product back on ad revenue. Advertising companies are not going to pay near as much for a sport few care about compared to a sport that in March becomea a huge part of the American culture

So? I didn’t say nobody enjoyed women’s sports as much as men. Some certain do. Most don’t.
Do you have an official poll? So let's all give the majority everything and stick it to the rest? I'm just messing with you. There are some sports that women play that I prefer to watch and some that men play. Some of it depends on performance. I would rather watch the Women's National Soccer Team than the Men. Mainly because our Women are the best in the world and our guys have a problem beating 3rd world teams.

The men’s and women’s players DO get a gift bag.

The dollar value of the men’s and women’s gift bags is reportedly the same.
Again I say Bull. Did you not see the open area for the women that was 5 seconds away from the practice court? It was as big as a basketball court and the free weights were sitting in a spot between the two areas

Again I say Bull. Did you not see the open area for the women that was 5 seconds away from the practice court? It was as big as a basketball court and the free weights were sitting in a spot between the two areas
So not big enough?

They’re in a smaller venue than the men, which is why they were told ahead of time that a workout facility big enough to accommodate teams and staff while still social distancing wouldn’t be available until they’d cut to the Sweet 16.

UGA was proactive enough to provide extra equipment for their players (if it was even necessary).

Barring evidence that I’m wrong, I’m going to hazard a guess that we didn’t do it, and furthermore Dawn never requested it.

Heck of a contrast between Dawn and Joni Taylor. One professionally points out that they’re being treated very well, while pointing out it COULD be better.....the other complains about everything from NBA player tweets to how women may or may not be treated in a boardroom.

Dawn’s a great coach, but the finger pointing, race baiting, and complaining gets old.
Would you rather she just kept her mouth shut and go to the back of the bus. It's not just about race in this country.
It gender bias, it's age discrimination. Hell, the list goes on. Sorry guys, I'm an old white male, and to everyone, I may have offended in prior years, I apologize and all I can say is better to learn my lessons eventually than not at all.

Reactions: paladin181
So not big enough?
Find the video that a WBB player (Not USC) put on the internet. Actually, the video is part of the article our Gamecock Central staff writer posted. Please go back and watch it. Sorry I did not make my point clearer. That video is worth 1,000 words.

Find the video that a WBB player (Not USC) put on the internet. Actually, the video is part of the article our Gamecock Central staff writer posted. Please go back and watch it. Sorry I did not make my point clearer. That video is worth 1,000 words.

So what about the teams that didnt make the tournament? They didn't get anything. Does that seem fair?

Reactions: cockofdawn
Hey, I’m an old guy, too, hence, Neanderthal. About the only TV I watch are sports (not the daily yakkers, either) and old westerns. I like all competition at the highest level, even if it is ping pong. And when I watch sports, I want sports, not politics from announcers and coaches and pro players. Figure that stuff out through the proper channels.

I'm just asking where does the "fairness" end. Life isn't fair. Where do we stop? Is Dawn pissed off that Mercers facilities arent the same as USC?
On that, we can agree. Life is not fair! But if someone is actively adding to the unfairness either thru ignorance or prejudice do you and I just sit back and ignore what's going on. The men and the women are in different venues.
Do you think the bags would have been different if the bags were handed out to all the players together (Men & Women) What if the two genders ate in the same cafeteria? Lean Cusine plastic vs Buffet? I don't think so.

Would you rather she just kept her mouth shut and go to the back of the bus. It's not just about race in this country.
It gender bias, it's age discrimination. Hell, the list goes on. Sorry guys, I'm an old white male, and to everyone, I may have offended in prior years, I apologize and all I can say is better to learn my lessons eventually than not at all.

161495481_3766715336696891_4009834689901782422_n.jpg

I would now like to see data of how many are actually using the new and improved weight room versus the old one.

On that, we can agree. Life is not fair! But if someone is actively adding to the unfairness either thru ignorance or prejudice do you and I just sit back and ignore what's going on. The men and the women are in different venues.
Do you think the bags would have been different if the bags were handed out to all the players together (Men & Women) What if the two genders ate in the same cafeteria? Lean Cusine plastic vs Buffet? I don't think so.

How come when it's homecoming, the queen gets flowers and the man gets nothing? Bags? who cares?

Dude - you do realize that the tourneys are being played in different cities? It all comes down to the almighty dollar - what is the money value of the Men's March Madness tourney to the Women's March Madness tourney - I think you will probably find that is probably on the order of 2 to 3 magnitudes in difference if not more.

Bring in the dollars and I am sure everything would be matched $ for $. Same for things like Soccer's World Cup. The USA women were mad about the revenue that they made compared to the men (something that they negotiated themselves) and then suddenly believe that they should be paid as much or more than even the Men's teams. It is all about the cash. Only in the USA and a handful of other countries do people show up to watch women's games. But it is an entirely different picture in the majority of the world.

Why do you think the Women's B-Ball March tournament typically play the first couple of rounds in the #1 seed's home town? How many Carolina fans ended up travelling to women's tournaments when they were out of state (e.g. the one tourney in Stockton, CA).

As Tom Cruise's character so bluntly stated "show me the money".

Two large issues with your take:

1. College basketball is amateur. Title IX expressly makes this unequal treatment illegal. And if everything in college athletics is about $, why are all those kids playing in the mens tournament not seeing a DIME of that $? How about show the players the money of you want to say its all about the cash??? But we all know where the greedy NCAA stands on that one.
2. The complaints are not just about the weight room. Women's teams were given cheaper versions of covid tests that are not as accurate. Their food looks gross compared to photos of the mens Vegas-style buffets, and gift bags were pathetic in comparison.

And the hypocrisy really stinks....the men's games are being played with "#Equality" painted on the floor.

Thanks Dawn for speaking up for what is right.

The NCAA sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT