ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina-Alabama Game 3 Thread

C

Collyn Taylor

It's Championship Saturday in the SEC! Huge games all around for everyone involved. BIg one here in T-Town. South Carolina can clinch the No. 2 seed in the Tournament today as well as a SEC Championship. Not bad for a group of freshmen.

I will share where I thought this team would place now that we're getting to the end of the season. Honestly, I thought they'd finish either fifth or sixth in the SEC behind LSU, Florida, Vandy, A&M and maybe Mississippi State. To say this team has exceeded my expectations is an understatement.

Not to be underscored, the Gamecocks also competing for a national seed today too. They're right in the 7-8 range and could be the No. 9 overall seed and not get a Super. A lot riding on this game and the ensuing SEC Tourney games.

Okay so scenarios: Wes Mitchell and I (mostly the great Wes Mitchell) put together a great article about how the Gamecocks can win the SEC (feel free to read it here).

It's simple: win and you're East co-champs. Win and Florida lose one, you're outright East champs. Win and have A&M and Mississippi State both lose, you're hoisting a trophy.

Seeding gets a little tricky. South Carolina I think can't get the top seed since A&M holds the tiebreaker and Mississippi State has a higher winning percentage. A&M holds the tiebreaker over State as well. Looks like The Aggies will most likely get the No. 1.

Since the East winner is guaranteed a top two seed, if South Carolina wins the outright East title, they'd be the two seed. If they tie Florida, looks like they'll be the No. 4 and get the first round bye. Florida has the tiebreaker with East winning percentage.

Gamecocks getting ready for BP, so I'm heading down to watch. Cheers, sports fans! Let's have a fun day today.

Florida's in game one of the double header now, trailing LSU 7-3, mid 6th. They'll play a 7 inning game after.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News