ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina is the only Division I athletics program this decade to...

davidusc

Mar 18, 2003
South Carolina is the only Division I athletics program this decade to have at least one Top 4
national finish (championships and/or polls) each in football, men’s and women’s basketball and
baseball.

Not bad. I just hope we can get baseball and football back on the right track soon.

South Carolina is the only Division I athletics program this decade to have at least one Top 4
national finish (championships and/or polls) each in football, men’s and women’s basketball and
baseball.

Not bad. I just hope we can get baseball and football back on the right track soon.
Interesting. First time I've heard that. Now, that is something you can sell to recruits...if you do it right. Always be selling...and sell ANY good news regardless if it has anything to do with the program in question.

kWN48.gif

The big stuff is what matters. We all know what those sports are. There are - at most - four of them and some people would say only two. It's great to win at anything, but successful athletic programs in Power-Five conferences aren't known because of their secondary sports.

The big stuff is what matters. We all know what those sports are. There are - at most - four of them and some people would say only two. It's great to win at anything, but successful athletic programs in Power-Five conferences aren't known because of their secondary sports.
Subjective. Depends on what sports interest what fans. As you stated, some say 4, some say 2.

If you were to extend that to top 5 it would include women's soccer ⚽️ and golf, and let's not forget equestrian.
Any sport in which USC competes and competes well should be noted and the accomplishments applauded, regardless of how many fans closely follow an individual sport.

The aforementioned sports don't resonate with me (and I have a distant cousin who was on the women's golf team 12+ years ago), but again, this merely points to the "well-roundedness" of the USC athletic programs and helps sell the program to all recruits in all school-sponsored sports (still want USC to start a men's volleyball team:p).

Eleven Gamecock teams finished the season in the Top 25 in their respective sports this year (highest
finish between rankings and/or championship finishes) ‐ Women’s Basketball (National
Champions), Men’s Basketball (T3rd), Women’s Soccer (5th), Equestrian (T5th), Beach Volleyball
(T7th), Women’s Tennis (T9th), Women’s Golf (10th), Men’s Swimming & Diving (15th), Softball
(T25th), Men’s Tennis (21st) and Women’s Indoor Track & Field (T25th).

Five South Carolina athletics teams have made the Elite 8 in NCAA Championships during the
last 12 months: men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s golf and women’s soccer.

They aren't all equal is what I'm saying. And what a conference is most known for, that is what is most important.
Equality is in the eye of the beholder, as also is what's most important. What's important to you is not necessarily what's important to me. And that's okay, one of the benefits of living in a free country

Equality is in the eye of the beholder, as also is what's most important. What's important to you is not necessarily what's important to me. And that's okay, one of the benefits of living in a free country
I'm willing to conceded that you and I might not agree on what is important.;) But some things make money and support themselves, along with supporting the other entities which help consume that money. Those that are counted on to make money had better be doing pretty well at it.

Reactions: atl-cock
I know who would be shouting this from the rooftop if the shoe was on the other foot. The university needs to market this relentlessly to the general public.
Amen! This is a thread that should be brought to Finebaum....at least Kornblut!

I'm willing to conceded that you and I might not agree on what is important.;) But some things make money and support themselves, along with supporting the other entities which help consume that money. Those that are counted on to make money had better be doing pretty well at it.
I absolutely agree with you on this. I will stipulate that football and MBB are very important financially for USC. I assume that WBB is paying it's own way these days, and baseball is paying for most of it's expenses (somewhere north of 50%) presently.

How do schools who either don't sponsor football or sponsor it at DII or below afford a varsity athletics program at all?

Most of them do it by having facilities roughly equivalent to the average high school.
Makes sense.
I did visit the Dartmouth College campus over Memorial Day weekend 2016 (Hanover, NH is a very pretty area), and the athletic facilities I saw looked only slightly better than the "average" high school. Had to pay attention to determine which facility was Dartmouth's and which was Hanover High School's.:confused:

Quit the BS. There's only one sport that really matters. Basketball and baseball are a distant second. You can rationalize anything, but if you are really truthful with yourself.

Quit the BS. There's only one sport that really matters. Basketball and baseball are a distant second. You can rationalize anything, but if you are really truthful with yourself.
If you were a Kentucky, Duke, or UNC fan, you might hold a slightly different perspective. If we had been as good in basketball over the years as those teams have been, you might hold a different perspective. But we are who we are and we are in the SEC. Football is Job One.

Subjective. Depends on what sports interest what fans. As you stated, some say 4, some say 2.
I think he was referring to the post about equestrian, golf... and NO that is my subjective. There isn't a rational person without agenda who would try to convince anyone that national perception of a sports program is affected the same by equestrian as it is by Men's Basketball or football. Same goes for WOMENS basektball vs Men's Basketball or football... or BASEBALL vs MBB or FB... so honestly it simply is not subjective. Two sports rule them all in national attention. Baseball and WBB really don't matter much in the grand scheme of things. People might notice at the time "ohh that is nice that little team from SC who never wins anything did well in baseball/WBB... Isn't that special". And then it is right back to praising Bama and now (as much as it disgusts me) the Taters, because they win at what MATTERS. I love the success across all sports IN CONTEXT but I would trade a thousand women's equestrian Nc and/ or WBB NC for ONE FOOTBALL NC, and that is a FACT.

Reactions: HOOVERCOCKFAN
Why is it that we can't even get an interesting piece of good news without pissing on each other? I've said many times, "I have met the enemy and it is us".
Because it is more fun to argue on the net than sing songs and get along. Fact, understand it, own it

Last edited:
Reactions: The Coup Nazi
I think he was referring to the post about equestrian, golf... and NO that is my subjective. There isn't a rational person without agenda who would try to convince anyone that national perception of a sports program is affected the same by equestrian as it is by Men's Basketball or football. Same goes for WOMENS basektball vs Men's Basketball or football... or BASEBALL vs MBB or FB... so honestly it simply is not subjective. Two sports rule them all in national attention. Baseball and WBB really don't matter much in the grand scheme of things. People might notice at the time "ohh that is nice that little team from SC who never wins anything did well in baseball/WBB... Isn't that special". And then it is right back to praising Bama and now (as much as it disgusts me) the Taters, because they win at what MATTERS. I love the success across all sports IN CONTEXT but I would trade a thousand women's equestrian Nc and/ or WBB NC for ONE FOOTBALL NC, and that is a FACT.
Depends on whether or not you are concerned about the national perception and what others think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT