ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina needs to hire a coach like this before he becomes famous

Concentrate on hiring the best AD possible. If you don’t have tradition to work with, you need the best AD to lure potential candidates that others can’t and set realistic benchmarks for progress. They will have all the connections to up and coming young coaches and years of networking with older coaches. Or, you could just take your chances, let cousin goober have a try at it. What could possibly go wrong?

There were rumors ... it was said that Carlen confronted Holderman when Holderman asked him to turn over excess athletic funds to the general fund so he could spend it on lavish gifts and travel. That was the end for Carlen.
Holderman was a well known joke for years before the BOT decided to act. He was paying Sadat's widow a huge sum of money to teach one course. Many other excesses.

Good thing Carolina Athletics weren't administered as badly as the University at that time. :)

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Holderman was a well known joke for years before the BOT decided to act. He was paying Sadat's widow a huge sum of money to teach one course. Many other excesses.

Good thing Carolina Athletics weren't administered as badly as the University at that time. :)

Such incompetence and corruption throughout our history. I’ve said it a million times. Stop putting up with this Carolina country club mentality here. It has gotten us nowhere.

I don't know what's with our AD's we had a chance to hire Dan Reeves when Carlen was fired and had a chance to hire a younger Steve Spurrier when JoMo died...

After this season, South Carolina has to make a bold move to make a major statement in College Football... I'm tired watching all the good and glory being heaped to a team in the upstate while we struggle against year after year winning 6 games to go bowling...

But with this said... If Muschamp finds a way to beat one of the games with Georgia, Florida, TAM or Clemson this year, I'll give him a slap on the back and show him the door with a red carpet leading the way...

People forget that Carlen went 8-4 in 1980 with Big George and fell to 6-6 the next year with a major upset win against #3 team UNC at Chapel Hill and he was shown the door...

spurrier-gators-goodbye.jpg
you know, scott frost was hired at nebraska and had proven himself as a really good coach...and nebraska is a blueblood...it seems like even with that advantage, a very good coach is struggling at a blueblood school...i cant say what i really wanna say on here,but some of yall make really questionable couch qbs

I don't know what's with our AD's we had a chance to hire Dan Reeves when Carlen was fired and had a chance to hire a younger Steve Spurrier when JoMo died...

After this season, South Carolina has to make a bold move to make a major statement in College Football... I'm tired watching all the good and glory being heaped to a team in the upstate while we struggle against year after year winning 6 games to go bowling...

But with this said... If Muschamp finds a way to beat one of the games with Georgia, Florida, TAM or Clemson this year, I'll give him a slap on the back and show him the door with a red carpet leading the way...

People forget that Carlen went 8-4 in 1980 with Big George and fell to 6-6 the next year with a major upset win against #3 team UNC at Chapel Hill and he was shown the door...

If there’s one out there, we’ll never get him based on recent hiring trends.

I tell you what, when we turn season around jump on the bandwagon of all the others. Muschamp took over dumpster fire. Three years recruiting. Let's see how end up this year. At end of next year assess. 7 games left this year.

Your assessment is jaundiced and basically b.s. First of all Herman knew Strong was getting fired. He was dead set on positioning himself for the job in Austin. Kirby was going to accept Tanners offer until Jawja fired Richt. Kirby Smart and not Herman was Tanners top choice. After Jawja panicked and fired Richt, so they could beat us to Kirby, Tanner turned quickly to Muschamp.

The only justified critique is that Tanner was not serious about the young coach at Oklahoma. No way he goes to OU as offensive coordinator if Tanner had the foresight to hire him.

Not sure I'd characterize the hiring of Kirby Smart as a panic on the part of UGA. It was apparent that Richt had done what he was going to do at UGA. Blowout losses to good teams were the norm and inexplicable losses to lesser teams were mounting. Once it became known Smart was ready to leave Saban's side, it was a no-brainer for Georgia.

Reactions: Brace1
When you strike gold, you look like a genius. Is it luck? Or is it an uncanny acumen for identifying potential? Maybe somewhere in the middle of the two? I sure wish I knew.

But remember these two words, because they completely fit the bill described in the OP: Brad Scott.

Right. That’s the problem. It means taking chances and that means missing. I wish we didn’t have to.

I tell you what, when we turn season around jump on the bandwagon of all the others. Muschamp took over dumpster fire. Three years recruiting. Let's see how end up this year. At end of next year assess. 7 games left this year.
What do you call turning the Season around 5 or 6 wins? In our last 10 games our 4 wins have been over Chattanooga, Akron, Charleston Southern, and Kentucky. We are not close in talent to compete with top tier SEC competition.

What do you call turning the Season around 5 or 6 wins? In our last 10 games our 4 wins have been over Chattanooga, Akron, Charleston Southern, and Kentucky. We are not close in talent to compete with top tier SEC competition.
We have talent to play with rest of SEC teams on schedule, barring maybe UGA. I would consider 7-5 turnaround. It appears top 6 or so teams in country a tier above everyone.

We have talent to play with rest of SEC teams on schedule, barring maybe UGA. I would consider 7-5 turnaround. It appears top 6 or so teams in country a tier above everyone.
You're a funny guy. I like you. You're like the happiness from the rays of sunshine that brighten the day.

Reactions: Brace1 and howard13
Not sure I'd characterize the hiring of Kirby Smart as a panic on the part of UGA. It was apparent that Richt had done what he was going to do at UGA. Blowout losses to good teams were the norm and inexplicable losses to lesser teams were mounting. Once it became known Smart was ready to leave Saban's side, it was a no-brainer for Georgia.
It's easy to assert that at this point. Irrefutable truth is Richt was canned quickly after word got out that Tanner and Kirby were serious about closing the deal. Once Jawja was open, Kirby told Tanner sorry, gotta follow my heart home to Jawja. It was a great deal for Jawja and Kirby. WE were stuck giving Muschamp a chance to reboot or suffer a Tennessee style search fiasco.

It's easy to assert that at this point. Irrefutable truth is Richt was canned quickly after word got out that Tanner and Kirby were serious about closing the deal. Once Jawja was open, Kirby told Tanner sorry, gotta follow my heart home to Jawja. It was a great deal for Jawja and Kirby. WE were stuck giving Muschamp a chance to reboot or suffer a Tennessee style search fiasco.

Yes. I wish I knew more about what happened after Smart said no. Because it seemed like a panic move to interview a bunch of people in a short period and then settle on Muschamp as a defensible hire that would say yes to the job. It was unsettling for a guy that had years to prepare to hire a replacement.

If collapse rest of this year, and next year; you all have a point. I don't think we will, and beat a couple ranked teams. Will see. People at least can't blame Bentley anymore.

To address the original question posed in this thread: Hire a coach like _____________ before he makes it big.

Urban Meyer before he moved to Utah. Unless my memory fails me, we were schedule to play Bowling Green during the 2001 season, but the game was cancelled because of the 9/11 attacks. At the time, I figured we missed out on a blowout win. Then, Bowling Green went on to a pretty solid season. We know his record since then.

Perhaps you have "irrefutable truth" that this whole thing started with a conversation between Tanner and Smart. If you do, tip of the hat to you. Either way, I still don't see it as a panic move from UGA. I would imagine the minute the UGA AD became aware Kirby was looking for a HC gig he would have pulled the trigger - regardless of conversations involving any other school.

Perhaps you have "irrefutable truth" that this whole thing started with a conversation between Tanner and Smart. If you do, tip of the hat to you. Either way, I still don't see it as a panic move from UGA. I would imagine the minute the UGA AD became aware Kirby was looking for a HC gig he would have pulled the trigger - regardless of conversations involving any other school.

I agree with that assessment. Jawja wasn't going to let Kirby go anywhere but home. Least of all to another SEC school.

To address the original question posed in this thread: Hire a coach like _____________ before he makes it big.

Urban Meyer before he moved to Utah. Unless my memory fails me, we were schedule to play Bowling Green during the 2001 season, but the game was cancelled because of the 9/11 attacks. At the time, I figured we missed out on a blowout win. Then, Bowling Green went on to a pretty solid season. We know his record since then.
Even allowing for the assumption that this administration could find and hire the next Urban Meyer we all know he’d be gone once he started winning. On to a college football “have”.

Even allowing for the assumption that this administration could find and hire the next Urban Meyer we all know he’d be gone once he started winning. On to a college football “have”.
When have we ever been faced with that dilemma? Even if it did happen, I'd gladly take what Utah got...Two great years with Urban, followed by a solid 15 years of Kyle Whittingham.

When have we ever been faced with that dilemma? Even if it did happen, I'd gladly take what Utah got...Two great years with Urban, followed by a solid 15 years of Kyle Whittingham.
Our administration only hires FB coaches on the way down and even if they did somehow pull a great hire out of their butts it’d be short lived. But you’re right I’d take it too.

To be clear, Carlen wasn't fired for the on field production.

Reactions: howard13
Brad Scott was an up-and-coming coach before we hired him.

That move was actually considered quite a coup at the time. Most only remember him for his stint here, but prior to that he WAS the hottest young coordinator in the game. He was 40 years old and OC for the most dynamic offensive team in college football.

He was considered a can't-miss rising star in the coaching ranks. Coaching hires are a roll of the dice.

Reactions: howard13

Just to give you a little more gas to throw on your fire ... Lou Holtz was an assistant coach with the Gamecocks when he left for the Willie & Marie job. I wonder how many times the stars aligned where we could have gotten Holtz much earlier.

Just to give you a little more gas to throw on your fire ... Lou Holtz was an assistant coach with the Gamecocks when he left for the Willie & Marie job. I wonder how many times the stars aligned where we could have gotten Holtz much earlier.

If my memory is correct, Holtz was hired by maybe Bass who was let go in the off-season. Holtz was not retained and never coached here prior to being head coach. I think it was a major factor in why he came. I just don’t know at my age if it is a figment of my imagination.

If my memory is correct, Holtz was hired by maybe Bass who was let go in the off-season. Holtz was not retained and never coached here prior to being head coach. I think it was a major factor in why he came. I just don’t know at my age if it is a figment of my imagination.
He coached the freshman team Dietzel's first year, then took an assistant job at Ohio State for a season before becoming head coach at William and Mary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT