ADVERTISEMENT

Speed Kills

Oct 19, 2012
Compared to most of the teams that I've watched over the past two weeks (at least the ones winning ball games), it's evident to me that our team speed does not match up.

More specifically on defense. Is it a lack of intensity, effort or speed?

Agree or Disagree?

Last edited:
I think we're very close to several middle-to-basement SEC teams right now. I'm not sure if it's a lack of speed or just some poor scheme and indecisiveness with our defense. I do believe we're better than UK, Vandy & UT. Quite possibly Florida and Mizzou as well, but I just can't say. We'll just have to see about those two.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes, maybe you're right, but there's still a decent shot at 6 wins because a lot of other SEC teams are in the same boat right now.

Last edited:
Compared to most of the teams that I've watched over the past two weeks (at least the ones winning ball games), it's evident to me that our team speed does not match up.

Agree or disagree?

I am not sure. All I know is Muschamp has touted that this is his most experienced and competitive team. Offense and Defense against UNC looked liked garbage. I am not sure where we are at with football and to be honest with USC having a top 25 payout with coaching staff I expect to be a little bit more competition. I don't care what our history is, if you are going to make a top 25 salary put a competitive product on the field. That goes for Frank Martin and Mark Kingston also. Now I will get off my bitch session

USCALUMNI

Agreed... a single lost doesn't make a season, its early. However after 4 years of recruiting the talent level and speed should certainly be better than what's been displayed.

I'm not sure if it's poor schemes or indecisiveness as well.

Football can be a pretty simple game on D, they have the ball get it back. Yes, talent does play a part, but there's something to be said for just simply doing your job, reacting to the ball, moving to the ball with intensity and purpose... aka stop the ball quickly control the game.

The 2010 team had a lot of talent on D and one thing is clearly noticeable on tape, the speed and intensity displayed moving to the ball.

Obviously if it was truly that simple everyone would be competing for national champions.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheReelEss
I don’t know about speed...but our size really concerns me. Our D-lineman look like like LSU’s linebackers and our linebackers look like Bamas corners.

Reactions: GoFightWinKickA$$

More specifically on defense. Is it a lack of intensity, effort or speed?

Agree or Disagree?
First game our line of scrimmage didn’t match up

It's scheme, coaching and talent. Kinlaw is the only guy on the defensive line that can play at this level. The rest are going to have to make it up by better execution. After all the hype about our secondary I haven't seen much to be happy about. I think Bama will chew them up and spit them out unless they decide to "do their damn jobs." I think we will score some points but the final will be something like 45-17. If we play the absolutely best we can play then the final might be 38-24.

It's scheme, coaching and talent. Kinlaw is the only guy on the defensive line that can play at this level. The rest are going to have to make it up by better execution. After all the hype about our secondary I haven't seen much to be happy about. I think Bama will chew them up and spit them out unless they decide to "do their damn jobs." I think we will score some points but the final will be something like 45-17. If we play the absolutely best we can play then the final might be 38-24.

Tua Tagovailoa and Bama's deep blazingly blinding receiving Corps will smoke/destroy our secondary, based on the UNC game.

You're being very generous with the score my brother if this D has a repeat performance (UNC going on two 95-yard drives).

Could be ugly 65 - 17 at best if that happens, unless Saban calls off the dogs.

I'd take a 1 point win but a 7 point lost would speak well for this D.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseCock
Our only chance is to out-execute Bama and hopefully get some bounces that go our way. We will not outdo them with speed or athleticism.

Our only chance is to out-execute Bama and hopefully get some bounces that go our way. We will not outdo them with speed or athleticism.
Yea, we usually out execute the better teams on our schedule every year.

giphy.gif

but I will watch it any way. Don't ask me why.

Ya know, what it is? There's no pressure on us, the Fans, this week. We can relax and not have to consider "'what if's" or "why didn't they's". It won't make any difference. HOWEVER, what we can hope for and enjoy, is the possibility of Bama Screw'n the Pooch and maybe looking to just show up fat & fancy. The ball bounces funny at times. Maybe the new blood excites the team to step it up. LOL. Just saying, it would be fun to catch 'em with their pants down and scare 'em for a little while.

I feel like on defense we have a fast team. They just can't tackle but across the board I see speed.

The only spots I don't see speed is our wideouts and our return guys.. Edwards has had some good returns but he doesn't have break away speed but good vision.

I've been wanting to see us build a team based on speed for a very long time... oh wait, this is a football thread. Well, that too.

I thought UNC looked just as fast and strong as we did. I think SEC speed is only really noticeable with the elite teams. I expect we will see it in person this weekend. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. It’s an opportunity.

I thought UNC looked just as fast and strong as we did. I think SEC speed is only really noticeable with the elite teams. I expect we will see it in person this weekend. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. It’s an opportunity.
In the fourth year of Will Muschamp, we were found to be unable to beat what had been a 3-9 UNC team, plus a few coaches and a true freshman quarterback. We can't be holding that great a hand.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t notice a speed difference in the Clemson/A&M game either. Both teams looked fast to me. I think Clemson’s depth showed up in the second half.

I expect Bama to beat us. If we hold our own through three quarters, I’ll be relatively pleased and hopeful the rest of the year. They just hit so damn hard. Even in Clemson’s win, Bama knocked the crap out of Deshaun Watson. I just hope we come out healthy and Hilinski doesn’t get punished.

So Saturday around 7:30 it will be confirmed that LSU has 300 pound linebackers and their corners are 230 pounds ?
All freaks of nature like it’s been said in this thread ?
Or are you going out on a limb to say we won’t beat Bama?
I honestly have no clue wth the first part of your response is referring to.

Regarding the last part, my response was to the guy who -- apparently like you -- thinks everything is just hunky dory in Gamecock Land. I fervently disagree.

I think we're very close to several middle-to-basement SEC teams right now. I'm not sure if it's a lack of speed or just some poor scheme and indecisiveness with our defense. I do believe we're better than UK, Vandy & UT. Quite possibly Florida and Mizzou as well, but I just can't say. We'll just have to see about those two.

I guess what I'm saying is, yes, maybe you're right, but there's still a decent shot at 6 wins because a lot of other SEC teams are in the same boat right now.

Why do some Gamecock fans insist that the Cocks are better than Kentucky after losing to them FIVE years in a row?

We are absolutely awful with fundamentals. In year 4 we still can’t tackle nor line up correctly on defense. Need change.

So true about tackling. that isn't scheme. That's fundamentals. I think it will help our D for the O to actually get a few first downs. We didn't move the ball well at all in the second half of the UNC game. No team can hold another when it is on the field so much on a hot day. I am not that down on the secondary. They did a pretty good job but the DL never seem to get much pressure on the QB. you have to pressure the QB for the D to work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT