ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier was being paid till the end of year and didn't show for senior day

We are about to turn that page and he will be forgotten in a couple years. I'm hoping the next coach can surpass his total wins here so we can erase him from the stadium completely.

Wow! Y'all need to take a moment to remember all the good times he brought us. Sure, he left us high & dry, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that he led us to 5 consecutive wins over Clem, numerous wins over traditional sec powers, numerous bowl wins, an sec east title, & 3 top 10 final rankings, with the last one being #4. Be aggravated with him, but don't forget all the awesome times he brought us.

Jerri was there today, I spoke to her before the game. She said they had to be there to support the seniors. I am pretty sure "they" didn't mean Steve.

Reactions: nikolas22
Really pisses me off the more I think how he just cruised on out on this team.
The banner needs to come down and come down swiftly. SOS. Regardless of what he "did" for us, he "undid" it all by my standards when he quit on his team that was losing under his leadership. And I hear we've now hired him as an "ambassador".....he needs to have a place around the stadium, but not the bigger than life banner.

You guys are ridiculous. He didn't stab us in the back. He brought us the greatest period in South Carolina football history. I have a hard time believing anyone with that kind of animosity towards our greatest coach ever is an actual Gamecock fan.

Wow! Y'all need to take a moment to remember all the good times he brought us. Sure, he left us high & dry, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that he led us to 5 consecutive wins over Clem, numerous wins over traditional sec powers, numerous bowl wins, an sec east title, & 3 top 10 final rankings, with the last one being #4. Be aggravated with him, but don't forget all the awesome times he brought us.
All thats true so why in the world are we in this kind of shape. because he was too lazy to get out and recruit, and i believe thats is his jobLets face it 09= 13 we were better than we have been but still lost every year to a lesser team that cost a div. champ

I can't blame him for not showing up today. I know it is unlikely Elliott will be retained, but even so his presence would have been a distraction and could have been viewed as showing up Elliott.

Not a Spurrier fan, but I can't fault him for not being there today. Hopefully he finds a way to privately express his gratitude to the seniors he recruited. No need to make a public display of it.

joedcock is not a gamecock ... never went to school there .... just a continual jerk
I did. Class of '05. Spurrier is a jerk for what he did. It doesn't erase all the good, true, but "it is what it is".

Spurrier is no longer the coach, so it is not his place to be there. At present, Elliott is the HC, and it is his duty and privilege to honor the seniors, not Spurrier's. As for him leaving mid-season, I have mixed feelings, but the fact is he had become a recruiting liability. He said that himself. So, him
leaving when he did gave everybody a half season to speculate about who we'll hire, and also allowed Elliott a chance to see what an SEC HC job is like. I think a lot of the recruits who decommited or have postponed a decision about us will come back once our new coach is announced. If we hire who I think we'll hire, recruiting will indeed pick up, and give us a chance to salvage the 2016 class.

Yeah if you are very connected to this 3-9 program, you need to jump off a tall building with the rest of the losers. As for Steven Orr Spurrier, whom we are now paying $100,000 per year as an ambassador to the program, yet he can't show up for HIS Seniors? **** him.

Reactions: Bushmaster cock
SOS has always been about sos's legacy. He was one of the fiercest competitors cfb has ever seen. I believe he hated losing worse than anyone I've ever seen in cfb. He was the guy we needed in 05 but his legacy will always be tarnished ,in my eyes at least , for the way he chose to end his career. He is the most successful coach ever at USC and we should look at what he accomplished here and be proud and build on it. As far as the banner , it never should have been put up and it needs to come down.

I can't blame him for not showing up today. I know it is unlikely Elliott will be retained, but even so his presence would have been a distraction and could have been viewed as showing up Elliott.

Not a Spurrier fan, but I can't fault him for not being there today. Hopefully he finds a way to privately express his gratitude to the seniors he recruited. No need to make a public display of it.
BS..... These were seniors.... His guys he recruited and built a four year relationship with.

Reactions: G-C-Gamecock
Who said he wasn't there? Any of you sit in the boxes? (I don't) - my friend said she saw Jerri Spurrier on the elevator, so I imagine SOS was around somewhere. I wouldn't EXPECT him to be on the sideline. The OP claims 'close-ties' to the 'program' - maybe he got a memo of the HBC's agenda yesterday, that's above my pay-grade. I know several of those guys but we don't share wine during gametime ... I've sat in Section 6 since '76 ... even after I gave up my seats (and sold my parking) in '08; so I wouldn't know who was sitting with the big-dough. Guys around me are big enough, most of 'em have boats. ALL of them have 'ties' to 'Carolina ... no 'orange' anywhere near us yesterday.
Why even bring this up? 'Specially a guy who didn't even go to 'Carolina. SOS did wonders for South Carolina football, more than anyone ever. EVER.

the whole coaching staff didn't show up all yr. I'm sorry. This includes Elliott. What did he do besides act like a little girl that just got asked to her first dance?

Reactions: trekcock
You are correct but one must consider the people that love to hear themselves talk rather than what someone has done for them. They are only talkers and not doers. That's the reason our country is falling.

I was wanting him to be honored in some capacity at first but now after seeing where he left the pgm I don't. The bad part about this is that it probably could have been fixed and USC would have had continued success but his laziness and, well, almost ineptitude in hiring a great staff and firing a bad staff ruined the pgm.
To quote another poster:USC was just his rich man's hobby.
That banner should have been taken down when he retired.

Reactions: G-C-Gamecock
Wow, how much has he gone down around here, gives good perspective on who he really cared about, as long as his pockets were lined that seems to be all he really cared about.

Don't we already have a thread about this? And didn't someone post that they saw Jeri, which means SOS was probably there?

Spurrier is not coming to games here any time soon. He said this. Why doesn't everyone get that? Why don't they get aren't he knows and accepts that they aren't his players anymore and that he was never that personal with his players to begin with.

Ray Tanner said that SOS still comes by the school every day and is still involved with the program. So why would it be so far-fetched to think he would come to the game yesterday?

My problem with SOS is that he did, what every coach tells his players to never do, no matter the circumstances or score.

QUIT

I lost a lot of respect for the man with the way he handled this season. I'm just relieved that its over and we can start rebuilding.

Reactions: nikolas22
Suppose you guys found out that Coach Spurrier has a neurological disease such as Alzheimer's, Dementia, or Parkinson's and he only just found out about it in September?
How would you feel about condemning him then?

Coach Spurrier would have been booed and cheered by most there, especially Clemson fans booing him for the beating them 5 of 6. This would have taken away from the experience the seniors who deserved to be the center of attention. Jerry Spurrier always substituted for parents of those that did not have any. I
I am grateful we had Coach and Mrs Spurrier all these years. Wish their kids could have made a life for themselves without relying on Dad to take care of them in a career field they were not qualified to be in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT