ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier's biggest screwup

The one mistake that hurts me the most was replacing EJ with Ward. I firmly believe that had he hired a top notch DC when EJ left, we would have won a national title in 2013 and maybe even 2012 (although the schedule killed us in 2012). We were so close to achieving something that I had always dreamed about.....maybe I will still see it happen one day.

Was that the same year that we were recruiting Barker out of KY? I think Spurrier probably told Barker they were not going to recruit another QB that year.
Pretty sure it was.
And has anyone on this board ever watched Northwestern? They run a high school version of the HUNH and they (at least used to) run it well. Worley broke state passing records feasting on throws to Cordarrelle Patterson (now there's a real head-scratcher and a miss to be PO'd about) and about 3 other talented WR's that were just to good for opponents to stop. Richardson just perfected the offense and Rudolph benefitted from it.
And for those that continue to blame Spurrier for not recruiting the kid (that didn't come close to being what we needed in a QB) just remember we did recruit one from the same mold that played on a team that ran a HUNH offense much like Rudolph that was breaking passing records in NC...and that didn't work out very well for us either.

Water under the bridge at this point but I did get to see Rudolph play against Byrnes. Even though Byrnes pulled it out at home I was really impressed by Rudolph. He had the arm for sure but I was most impressed by his physical maturity. He was a really big kid and I’m pretty sure that was only his junior year.

Those are way down the list.
1. Naming Junior as RC.
2. Replacing EJ with Ward
3. Replacing Lawing with Adams.
4. Hiring Botkin.
5. Hiring Elliott.

Start here and it will explain the above.
You are right, quick ,easy and lazy hires plus his dumb statement and the golf course pretty much ruint our program.

You are right, quick ,easy and lazy hires plus his dumb statement and the golf course pretty much ruint our program.
Spurr
You're probably right! The second biggest blunder that hurt USC, was announcing that he
may not coach after a couple of more years! That one is unforgivable IMO!!!!
Spurrier sucked, he came in and destroyed a dominant historic program. The depths of mediocrity that he brought this program to is as you say unforgivable. It will take a 100 years to get back to what we were before he came. Any mention of his name at our university should be removed for eternity.

What "program" did we have before Spurrier? One ten-win year 20 years before his arrival. One! Other than that, we were ecstatic with 8 wins and pleased with 7.

Reactions: Lowcountry1
Spurrier and son both thought a 2 star athlete from Ala. or La. Was better than a 3 or 4 star nearby. ...bust after bust....then he bailed out. Ward wasn't great, but better than the talent recruited. Look at Venables, mediocre at Oklahoma, great at Clemson. Why? Who can't coach that embarrassment of riches on D? It's really about talent and coaching chemistry, we had neither.

Reactions: Gradstudent
JR to Recruiting Coordinator will always be # 1 for me.

Then things like Mason fall into that bucket, part of the mess created by moving Jr. into that role.

Reactions: gamecockdad
Spurrier and son both thought a 2 star athlete from Ala. or La. Was better than a 3 or 4 star nearby. ...bust after bust....then he bailed out. Ward wasn't great, but better than the talent recruited. Look at Venables, mediocre at Oklahoma, great at Clemson. Why? Who can't coach that embarrassment of riches on D? It's really about talent and coaching chemistry, we had neither.
I guess I'm imagining the 11 win seasons

Good article. We definitely missed out on him.

Spurriers last couple of years are easy to explain, he was tired and just didn’t care enough anymore. His “biggest mistake” was not retiring earlier.

But let’s not dwell on what Spurrier failed to do. Let’s just look at the big picture of his whole tenure. And overall it’s hard to make the case that any one coach at the time could have done better for us.

The biggest mistake was the overall failure to maintain a top-notch coaching staff. Like many have stated, adequate replacements were never brought in for Ellis, Beamer, and especially Lawing (who I've long thought to be our best assistant ever.)
These mistakes turned into recruiting deficiencies and poor player development.

JR to Recruiting Coordinator will always be # 1 for me.

Then things like Mason fall into that bucket, part of the mess created by moving Jr. into that role.

^^this^^
As I’ve often said, HBC & Jrs “who called today wanting a scholarship” recruitment tactics were the beginning of our decline.

Reactions: rogue cock
Fathering this idiot:

Spurrier-Jr.png

We used to spend hours on here complaining about John Hunt. That was the first red flag.

Haha !! That’s funny . What program ?? The one that’s been mediocre for a century ?? I would say we are right back where we’ve always been

The thing that bothers me along with all that stuff listed is the fact that if hadn't been so lazy and had hired a great DC we might have won a NC. USC finished 4th in the nation but recruiting did not reflect that. The whole staff was lazy(tks to the HBC who was the No. 1 lazy)and did not want to get out of bed in the morning and do what it takes to make USC a top notch pgm. We have the right bash him for what he coulda/shoulda done. He deserves some praise for those 11 win seasons but the high praise goes to Connor.
I think some of our posters could have done a better job of replacing a staff than he did. How could he have been blind to Jr's and Ward's faults?

Haha !! That’s funny . What program ?? The one that’s been mediocre for a century ?? I would say we are right back where we’ve always been
That's right thanks to SOS, you can defend him all you want but at the end of the day he quit on us and left this program in shambles, plain and simple. Yeah he won 11 games 3 years straight but how many championships did he win here Mr. Expert?

Reactions: cocky lady
Ummmm how about being a quitter of the highest order.

Oh and Jr.

We were cursed when they hung that giant banner of Spurrier on the side of Williams Brice. Everything turned to shit after that day

Reactions: cocky lady
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT