ADVERTISEMENT

SpursUp HUGE Surprise DJ Daniel. #1 JUCO Corner

I guess they don't think they're "sexy" enough? They've been off the recruiting radar most people follow for awhile. And they will have to sit out a year, so why hype them now? Just a guess.

Why would JUCOs have to sit out a year? If they graduate from JUCO, they play immediately, don't they?

I thought prep school transfers are the ones that can play right away. Didn't we just a get transfer from a So Cal Juco that has 3 years to play 2?

I think that is a way of saying they still have their redshirt year available. They can play immediately or redshirt this year or next.

I thought prep school transfers are the ones that can play right away. Didn't we just a get transfer from a So Cal Juco that has 3 years to play 2?
Both prep school and JUCOs can play immediately.
Why would JUCOs have to sit out a year? If they graduate from JUCO, they play immediately, don't they?
Yes, Both JUCO and prep school players can play immediately.

Both prep school and JUCOs can play immediately.

Yes, Both JUCO and prep school players can play immediately.
Sounds good to me! Just seems like it hasn't always been that way.

Regarding my OP, I do still think that it's because they've been out of sight, out of mind for a year, which is dumb -- and lazy on the part of the recruiting services. I find it hard to believe that after playing a year of college ball they somehow got worse.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think if they "transfer" from a JUCO after one year they have to sit out, but if they play both years of a two-year JUCO program, no sit out is required.
Chad Kelly didn't have to, I don't believe. Started at Clemson, went to JUCO for one year, and finished at Ole Miss. I don't remember him sitting out a year at Ole Miss.

Chad Kelly didn't have to, I don't believe. Started at Clemson, went to JUCO for one year, and finished at Ole Miss. I don't remember him sitting out a year at Ole Miss.
Is it because he started out at a D-1 school and then went the juco route? I think the rules for that may be different.

Is it because he started out at a D-1 school and then went the juco route? I think the rules for that may be different.
IIRC if he transferred directly from Clemson to Ole Miss, he would have to sit out a year. But by going to JUCO for a year, he avoided having to sit out a year. I don't know whether that was intentional or not.

IIRC if he transferred directly from Clemson to Ole Miss, he would have to sit out a year. But by going to JUCO for a year, he avoided having to sit out a year. I don't know whether that was intentional or not.
Yep, that's what I meant. Like Battleship mentioned, in that scenario the juco year seems to have counted as the sit-out year.

If he had Clemson credits that transferred to a JUCO, he might have graduated from the JUCO. Presumably if you left Clemson for a JUCO you would be sure to pick a JUCO that would accept academic credit for what you did at Clemson.

Here is from an NCAA booklet about what you have to do to avoid sitting a year so you can play immediately coming from a JUCO. Presumably, using Clemson academic credit, Chad Kelly likely graduated from the JUCO :

IF YOU HAVE ATTENDED A FOUR-YEAR SCHOOL AND NOW ATTEND A TWO-YEAR SCHOOL If you have attended a four-year school but now attend a two-year school and want to transfer to an NCAA Division I or II school, you may use an exception to compete immediately if you meet one of the following conditions: 1. You want to return to your original school. 2. Your sport was not sponsored at your first four-year school. 3. You have not participated in your sport for two years. 4. You plan to attend a Division II school and have not been recruited by that school. 5. You plan to attend a Division III school. 6. You graduated from your two-year school.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18_Transfer_Guide_2_Year_20170721.pdf

Here is from an NCAA booklet about what you have to do to avoid sitting a year so you can play immediately coming from a JUCO. Presumably, using Clemson academic credit, Chad Kelly likely graduated from the JUCO :

IF YOU HAVE ATTENDED A FOUR-YEAR SCHOOL AND NOW ATTEND A TWO-YEAR SCHOOL If you have attended a four-year school but now attend a two-year school and want to transfer to an NCAA Division I or II school, you may use an exception to compete immediately if you meet one of the following conditions: 1. You want to return to your original school. 2. Your sport was not sponsored at your first four-year school. 3. You have not participated in your sport for two years. 4. You plan to attend a Division II school and have not been recruited by that school. 5. You plan to attend a Division III school. 6. You graduated from your two-year school.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18_Transfer_Guide_2_Year_20170721.pdf
I may have misunderstood the issue....I always assumed you had to graduate from JUCO to be immediately eligible, simply because we have signed so many who seemed not to be able to do so and never enrolled.

There are no prep schools anymore. Prep school recruiting 5 , 10 years ago was a pretty big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT