ADVERTISEMENT

Staley promise….

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agreee with hire the best coach. My issue is that many times that it is used as an excuse to not even give the Black coach a chance. It took a Rooney rule and the Rooney’s to go out on a limb to give Mike Tomlin a chance. Now, he is considered one of the best coaches in the NFL. Giving Dawn Staley a chance coming from Temple and barely out of the WNBA was considered radical. She, also, could have easily been put in the box of a great player can’t possibly be a good coach. A National Championship, 3 Final Four appearances, and about six SEC championships later that line of thinking seems short-sighted at best. People try to just say that black players are more gifted in an attempt to use that as an excuse to limit their opportunities intellectually. However, a remember a time when Blacks didn’t get an opportunity athletically either. The same excuses you hear with coaching opportunities were the same excuses you heard with allowing them to play. I was around when the word was that you couldn’t let Black players play or play certain positions because they didn’t have the mental capacity. Even when it got better, I remember the notion that you could have only 2 Black players on the Basketball starting five at a time. What I have found is that most race issues are not out of hate. It is out of fear. It is a fear that if we give this other group an opportunity, where are my opportunities going to come from? My thought is that it frees us to find the very best possible no matter where it comes from. My issues have never been with white coaches being hired. It’s been with them being hired in an incomplete process based on racial stereotypes that should be a part of our past.

You seriously believe this?
People want to reduce competition so they hold back minorities?

"What I have found is that most race issues are not out of hate. It is out of fear. It is a fear that if we give this other group an opportunity, where are my opportunities going to come from? "

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
You seriously believe this?
People want to reduce competition so they hold back minorities?

"What I have found is that most race issues are not out of hate. It is out of fear. It is a fear that if we give this other group an opportunity, where are my opportunities going to come from? "
Yes. History has proven this to be correct. Take basketball for example. One notion is that your Point Guard understands the game the most. He is your coach on the floor. Think of how many Black Points Guards have played in our program. How many have been considered to be our coach. One maybe in Boynton and that took him to go away to another program that has been traditionally more successful than us and have a little bit of success. What did Oklahoma State see that we ignored. You think a Black coach would get 10 years to turn a program around like Frank Martin. When they do get an opportunity, they are lucky to get 2 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Cybercock
One more time. Keep it off the court. If she wants to promote her agenda outside her duties as head coach, have at it.

By the way, who has a problem with "Make America Great Again" but many lose their #$@! over a red hat.
This gesture was not on the court. This was something Dawn decided to do and the media covered it. Coach can’t control that. I am sure there are white coaches out there that encourage other white coaches. It’s not a story because that is what is normally seen. Some of you guys are just too sensitive. Allow Coach to be herself, enjoy the wins, and ignore the parts that you disagree with. I have been doing that with our white coaches and I rarely get the joy of the wins in return.

Last edited:
28.1% of Division I women's basketball head coaches are Black. The US population is 14% black. Getting more than their "fair" share.

There are a ton of white coaches for a sport with 95% black players. Dawn is doing this for motivation so more black coaches to accomplish more and get hired. Quit starting crap and trying to start a race thing 😡

95% black is just Dawn's teams. The rest of the women's basketball is about half and half.

Would that be an excuse if the races were reversed? Or would it be a "systemic" problem?
It’s no excuse. Frankly, I don’t understand what you are talking about. We recruited Paige Bueckers. She didn’t come. Staley would love to have the guard from Iowa. Didn’t come. There is a guard at Louisville right now that we recruited. Didn’t come. Staley coached the U.S. National Team too In the Olynpics and three white players started so your argument doesn’t make much sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamekem
It’s no excuse. Frankly, I don’t understand what you are talking about. We recruited Paige Bueckers. She didn’t come. Staley would love to have the guard from Iowa. Didn’t come. There is a guard at Louisville right now. Didn’t come. Staley coached the U.S. National Team too In the Olynpics and three white players started so your argument doesn’t make much sense.

Maybe they didnt come because of her "off the court" racist crap. Cross your mind?

Reactions: jthunder
Maybe they didnt come because of her "off the court" racist crap. Cross your mind?
..,...or maybe they didn’t come because the top white players have been traditionally going to UConn, Notre Dame, or Stanford. First, USC is never going to compete with Notre Dame or Stanford academically. Further, Geno is a legend and will probably have to retire before the entire recruiting pool is open to us. Finally, we have two white players on the team. If what you are saying about Coach Staley is true, why are they on the team. Elysa played in 10 of the conference games last year. Sometimes, in the meat of the game. Before, making claims like this, I suggest you do your research.

Dawn has been dynamite for the University. I'm not going to let the race theory radicalists and junk media ruin my opinion of her. If she wants to continue to push for more Black Coach hires, that's her prerogative and she is probably under considerable pressure to do so.

Reactions: adcoop
28.1% of Division I women's basketball head coaches are Black. The US population is 14% black. Getting more than their "fair" share.

95% black is just Dawn's teams. The rest of the women's basketball is about half and half.
I agree that the number of black women in head coaching positions outweighs the population totals. But, as you stated, about 50% of the sport is black, so in theory they should be around 50% of the coaching force in women's basketball. If you want to look further, it's dreadfully abysmal when you look into NCAA committees, % of ADs, and other leadership roles in the sport. It's pretty much dominated by white people. And, on top of that, you can find men bridging the gap from men's to women's sports but there are far and few women coaching in men's sport.

Why does it matter what color the coach is? If they can teach basketball and win games, who cares?

I understand her intent, but you have to admit if a white coach wanted to share his/her success with only other white coaches, that would be a sh*t storm of controversy.
It matters because black women historically have not gotten equal opportunity to coach as white women or men. The numbers don't lie.

Awesome move by Coach Staley. She is a national model for equality and inclusion and South Carolina is lucky to have her.

Plus...she wouldn't have enough net to send to the white coaches. Thats kinda the point.

Reactions: shiverz
I don’t know that Ms. Staley is a racist. She is into all the political activism stuff and she is definitely Ridin’ with Biden.
the refusing to participate in the National Anthem pushes me away. I’ve found myself hoping the other team won because of it.

Last edited:
It’s women’s basketball. I pull for our Gamecocks, but am not a fan of women’s basketball. I don’t watch it, but I check our scores hoping we are on top and stay there.

I agree that the number of black women in head coaching positions outweighs the population totals. But, as you stated, about 50% of the sport is black, so in theory they should be around 50% of the coaching force in women's basketball. If you want to look further, it's dreadfully abysmal when you look into NCAA committees, % of ADs, and other leadership roles in the sport. It's pretty much dominated by white people. And, on top of that, you can find men bridging the gap from men's to women's sports but there are far and few women coaching in men's sport.

So, black females are over-represented on the court and in coaching. Sounds like systemic racism to me.

She's great coach.

She deserves the pay.

She has every right to voice her opinions. Just do out outside the confines of her duties as head coach OR open it up to all coaches to air their political beliefs.

Just look what happened to Mike Gundy for wearing an OANN shirt on a fishing boat.

She's great coach.

She deserves the pay.

She has every right to voice her opinions. Just do out outside the confines of her duties as head coach OR open it up to all coaches to air their political beliefs.

Just look what happened to Mike Gundy for wearing an OANN shirt on a fishing boat.
What happened? One kid threatened to transfer. He kept his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT