ADVERTISEMENT

Starting DE Edmond gone; Portalled out

Just another chapter in The Truman Show. If you want something close to level competition, grab a friend a play hoops, Madden or chess. CFB is primarily a social entertainment event at this point.

Hanging your emotions on teenagers you'll never come in contact with or complete tools like Nick Saban was never a good idea in the first place. Most Alabama fans I know are less content than the average college football fan. Long the comradery. Short the production.

Education !!! ??? Have you seen the classes offered nowadays at some of these schools? You’d be better off taking worthwhile classes online. Just last month I went on YouTube and learned how to change a carburetor on an XMark Z turn (and I do not have a very good mechanical mind). Save the tuition cost and learn something worthy online may be the best way to go, but you lose the college “experience” which don’t seem to be what it was.

I rue the days of my youth when New Year’s Day came and 6 bowl games were on. No players defected. The national title (by vote) had an effect on most games. Now, I don’t know what the # of viewers watch but it’s nowhere what it used to be, percentage wise of TVs on. But the advertisers still find the games.

The NCAA is somewhat like the High School League. It’s let stuff get out of hand and the negative impact on the games has turned them into an inferior product. Players should be paid for their likeness on apparel and such, but now it’s minor league baseball.

You probably love Trump, too!!😝
Must every post have some political underpinning? The portal is insane and my guess is the kids who enter it more likely thab not are not benefitting. Not ever guy is as good as he thinks he is and a lot of those guys are being induced or convinced to jump by another school's boosters or a family member who really doesn't know better. There is going to be a reckoning, we just don't know when it will happen.

NIL is here to stay so the powers of college football need to get some rules/refs applied to it to better have some control.

Ultimately I feel in its current form the money isn’t sustainable and the product will get worse and those two things will exponentially sped up the demise of the sport. There probably will be some self correction once guys can’t find homes, etc but right now it feels a little hopeless

I do think the players deserve a cut - like previously stated this was a 9-0 decision of the court. Also as it stands we’re still towards the bottom in the SEC of number of players in the portal, it stands to reason we should pick up a few nice pieces too

NIL is here to stay so the powers of college football need to get some rules/refs applied to it to better have some control.

Ultimately I feel in its current form the money isn’t sustainable and the product will get worse and those two things will exponentially sped up the demise of the sport. There probably will be some self correction once guys can’t find homes, etc but right now it feels a little hopeless

I do think the players deserve a cut - like previously stated this was a 9-0 decision of the court. Also as it stands we’re still towards the bottom in the SEC of number of players in the portal, it stands to reason we should pick up a few nice pieces too
Thing is (imo) they are not getting a cut. It's new money created from a source outside of the pie specifically for them. It's not a piece of anything. I might actually feel a little better if they were getting a share of an existing revenue from those already cashing in.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
What do you suggest that isn't a restraint of trade violative of the Sherman Act? I'm sure the NCAA has top flight lawyers working on it but we're two years in from Alston and eight years in from O'Bannon v. NCAA and so far they've got nothing.
The NCAA could reinstitute the rule of having to sit out a year if you transfer. That rule would not restrict the athlete's ability to make money. He can still sign whatever NIL deal he/she wants. The sitting out a year would not restrict them in an NIL way.

However, people paying the NIL money may back off some due to the rule because the transfer won't be able to make an immediate impact on the field. That is a decision the NIL payer makes so it's still a free market all around.

Reactions: Lurker123
What do you suggest that isn't a restraint of trade violative of the Sherman Act? I'm sure the NCAA has top flight lawyers working on it but we're two years in from Alston and eight years in from O'Bannon v. NCAA and so far they've got nothing.
Perhaps since the ncaa named a new president this week to start in March, he'll tackle this issue head on. Hopefully anyway.

Reactions: Neanderthal
"NIL was supposed to be centered around jersey sales and video game proceeds," according to sports business reporter Darren Rovell. Instead, it has turned into 'free-market capitalism.'”
If you notice he put the free-market capitalism in quotation marks. That's because, as he further explains, it's not really free market capitalism. It is actually a pay for play scheme disguised as capitalism. This is not what the Supreme Court ruled on and not what they had in mind.

The schools need to be able to just pay the players directly.

l

Well, there is no dispute about who had things running better. Pick the issue. Economy, border, police protection, confronting China, the military. Unless you listen to NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, PBS, and believe what they say
Those networks don’t cover any of it…they pretend it’s not even happening. Therefore anyone who doesn’t dig remotely a little is easily duped.

Alabama, not in the playoffs, will not have one player opt out of their bowl game.
That would make sense though. Alabama is still thought of as one of the top schools (if not the top) to get to the NFL. They are also probably close to the top in NIL money per position - whether diclosed or not. You can't really beat that setup as a player looking to advance. I don't think anyone believes they won't be back in the playoffs in quick order.

You probably love Trump, too!!😝
That's all you have for a rebuttal. Gee, wonder if you voted for Biden? Two can play that game you see. Maybe you can call me racist and say I watch Fox News. Then I'll tell you that you're a liberal hack and get your news (or lack thereof) from CNN. Then the world keeps going round and round.

But if you need full transparency..........I wasn't a fan of Trump's delivery, but I loved his policies. Which is your favorite now that your group is in power: the high grocery prices or the high gas prices or the high interest rates or the great education our kids aren't receiving?

The schools need to be able to just pay the players directly.

l
I think the answer may be salary caps. Let the players get whatever they can in NIL money but limit how much a school's "payroll" can be. Would not violate the Sherman Act because it is not done to limit the market rights of the athlete, i.e., restraint of trade, but instead is done to level the playing field.

That's all you have for a rebuttal. Gee, wonder if you voted for Biden? Two can play that game you see. Maybe you can call me racist and say I watch Fox News. Then I'll tell you that you're a liberal hack and get your news (or lack thereof) from CNN. Then the world keeps going round and round.

But if you need full transparency..........I wasn't a fan of Trump's delivery, but I loved his policies. Which is your favorite now that your group is in power: the high grocery prices or the high gas prices or the high interest rates or the great education our kids aren't receiving?

Don’t you despise political comments on sports forums?

• Haha
Reactions: cockofdawn
Incorrect. Scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years. Players demanded this and got it.

I think the answer may be salary caps. Let the players get whatever they can in NIL money but limit how much a school's "payroll" can be. Would not violate the Sherman Act because it is not done to limit the market rights of the athlete, i.e., restraint of trade, but instead is done to level the playing field.

Yeah. Crafting the rules that allow salaries with a salary cap and then NIL has to be legitimate marketing opportunities instead of just buying recruits and the system will be fine.

Yeah. Crafting the rules that allow salaries with a salary cap and then NIL has to be legitimate marketing opportunities instead of just buying recruits and the system will be fine.

I still think an easier solution is to reinstate the "transfer and you sit out a year" rule. Get rid of the exceptions, and I think you'd almost instantly clean up the portal.

Highschool recruiting would still be messy.

I still think an easier solution is to reinstate the "transfer and you sit out a year" rule. Get rid of the exceptions, and I think you'd almost instantly clean up the portal.

The problem is that is player-focused. I think to avoid a Sherman Act violation you have to enact restrictions on the institutions, not the players.

The problem is that is player-focused. I think to avoid a Sherman Act violation you have to enact restrictions on the institutions, not the players.

I would be interested to hear an explanation of why this violates the Sherman Act.

I would be interested to hear an explanation of why this violates the Sherman Act.
I'm not a Sherman Act expert, but the language used in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in the opinion upheld by SCOTUS in Alston has a pretty good explanation:
"The treatment of Student-Athletes is not the result of free market competition. To the contrary, it is the result of a cartel of buyers acting in concert to artificially depress the price that sellers could otherwise receive for their services. Our antitrust laws were originally meant to prohibit exactly this sort of distortion."
If the portal rules are structured to restrict free market movement to the point it prevents a player from earning money, especially more money, in a given year I think it may violate the Act. I think instead of making transfer rules more restrictive, you're actually going to see it become less so to the point of elimination of any sit out rules. Everyone will have immediate eligibility. I'm at a loss as to why it hasn't happened already and the NCAA's piss poor explanations when they grant or deny immediate eligibility aren't helping.

That fixed 90% of this problem

I'm not a Sherman Act expert, but the language used in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in the opinion upheld by SCOTUS in Alston has a pretty good explanation:
"The treatment of Student-Athletes is not the result of free market competition. To the contrary, it is the result of a cartel of buyers acting in concert to artificially depress the price that sellers could otherwise receive for their services. Our antitrust laws were originally meant to prohibit exactly this sort of distortion."
If the portal rules are structured to restrict free market movement to the point it prevents a player from earning money, especially more money, in a given year I think it may violate the Act. I think instead of making transfer rules more restrictive, you're actually going to see it become less so to the point of elimination of any sit out rules. Everyone will have immediate eligibility. I'm at a loss as to why it hasn't happened already and the NCAA's piss poor explanations when they grant or deny immediate eligibility aren't helping.

I can buy that, but feel it would be a fight worth making. If only because I see it as a way to reign in the madness.

I will only add that I have "non compete" clauses in jobs when I hire in, I don't think they would be illegal. But we can let the lawyers argue that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT