ADVERTISEMENT

State of football program

Lets find a walk on turned salesman turned wide receivers coach. Gotta be another out there. Pay him 1.5 and get kiffen at 3.0 mil a year. Then get A DC at 1.5 too;)

You guys keep dreaming, Muschamp is here till at least 2021, probably longer and if nothing else besides a few good years here and there this is what we have been forever so we should all be used to it.Call me a damn fool and/or crazy but I still believe in Champ.Truth of the matter is if we do fire him at some point, at least the cupboard will not be bare as far as players go for the next guy as it was for him

Haven't been on here in a while, so I've returned to give my take on football team (and current regime, in general). Regardless of what you think about WM as a HC, fact remains that we are staring at 6 "sure" losses in 2019, just on paper (CU, UGA, Bama, A&M, UK, and UF). And that's based on those teams' current status, talent, recent history, etc. Meaning, 6-6 is best case scenario next year, and that requires us not slipping up in any of those six "winnable" games (highly unlikely).

My point is that Tanner is going to have a tough sell to the fanbase in 2019, if we're sitting at 5-7 or 4-8 at the end of that season. That would be a losing record in year 4 of current regime. Even if we play well against the gauntlet of good teams, we'll still have a losing record in year 4. At that point, the calls for change will be even louder than they are now (with some fans). Some tough decisions lie ahead for us, and it'll be interesting to see what happens. Go Cocks.
I'm 57 years old and have been a gamecock fan since age 6. This same discussion has taken place thru out my entire tenure as a fan. We have had our moments and on a few occasions we almost got over the hump. Carlen Morrison Spurrier almost got us there but in the end we always slip back into mediocrity. The Muschamp era will be mired in mediocrity and we all know that. What makes it worse is Clemmons is fielding their best teams in its history right now which makes it sting worse.

Neal Brown, Matt Campbell, the other Gamecock coach John Grass (pretty prolific offenses I think), Leach, the head coach from JMU, Mike Houston. Seriously. Do you know how bad JMU would’ve beaten us the past couple of years? Tons of options, have to get creative. None of them could be any worse, and the naysayers will say the guy has to have SE or SEC ties. Yep, that’s really paying off right now.

I want to see a university (Pres) as committed to football as its fans have always been, and a BOT and AD that feel the same and won’t babysit the HBC because they think it’s Pop Warner. I feel that even if we got an outstanding young coach, this AD will hamstring the hell outta him.

Last edited:
Bs, usc has NEVER committed to it like our neighbors have. We have always eaten whatever turd sandwich is served. Klempson has the exact same circumstances we do but we have a larger alumni base to attract $. No excuse for our pathetic performances.
According to Forbes we are #17 in athletics resources. Every year we do not spend majority of year in top 20 we are under performing. Just a fact.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
First off, this is my first time being here in a LONG time. I forgot about this site and just remembered about it after all these years.

Here's my take on the state of the program.

First, I do believe that Muschamp is on his way out and I think it will be sooner rather than later. The result of the game yesterday was inexcusable in the very essence of the word. Then to top it off, Muschamp lied to us and treated us like we're stupid by saying the offensive game plan didn't change between first and second half. I have eyes and deductive reasoning. I can see what's being put in front of me and it definitely was different. This is the same tripe that he pulled at Florida. That shows me that he didn't learn from his mistakes there. This loss is on the ineptitude of the coaching staff. PERIOD!

People constantly like to make excuses for his shortcomings by blaming recruiting, Spurrier, etc, etc. This is a self sabotaging, defeatist attitude on top of being the wrong attitude. Spurrier has been gone for 3 years now. This is Muschamp's team now and he has to own it.

By year 3, one typically sees substantial improvement and the striving for even more. I dare to ask what improvement has been shown by this staff to warrant any more latitude in terms of progress? In year 3, Muschamp is a pathetic 1-10 against Top-25 opponents and is;

0-3 vs. Georgia
0-3 vs. Clemson
0-3 vs. Kentucky
0-3 vs. Texas A&M

This is unacceptable in any way, shape, or form. We're not losers and we shouldn't accept losses to these teams on a regular basis. Let alone getting blasted by them.

At the end of the season regardless of the outcome, I think the university would be better off relieving Muschamp of his duties and looking elsewhere. He's just not getting it done nor is he showing improvement in several different areas. He's actually regressing more than progressing. A good coach can see his strengths and weaknesses and make the appropriate decision to rectify the problem. After the Florida game, Muschamp laid the blame squarely on the players. He accepted no responsibility of any kind and that was a cowards way out of a difficult situation. The offense played their heart's out and the defense did what they could given the massive injuries we have sustained here in year 3. (Just like Florida)

Some will say that firing Muschamp will hurt the program. Well, if we continue this course, what damage will he do by his inepititude? Lose recruits? We will lose those anyway with our performances to date. He may be a good coordinator, but he's not head coach material. We at USC shouldn't accept scraps and should not be a guinea pig for other coaches to test their skills. We have the monies, facilities, resources to be successful. Why aren't we successful?

The fan base. The fan base as a whole are very accepting to the point of selfdestruction. They refuse to hold coaches accountable and they refuse to acknowledge the facts when they're staring them in the face. Loyalty is fine when it's earned and warranted. This university deserves your loyalty. The football team is a business and with a business, there has to be accountability.

So, after firing Muschamp you all are probably wondering who do we target at that point. There are a LOT of coaches that would kill for the job here given the money, facilities, TV airtime, etc, etc. Just a few candidates off of the top of my head are as follows;

Mike Leach
Les Miles
Lane Kiffin

Those are just a few that I would be interested in immediately.

We at USC deserve better. We have shown the nation that we can win at a high level and we should expect to win. The first step in accepting treatment is to acknowledge that there's a problem and that you want to fix it. Will Muschamp is not the answer.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT