ADVERTISEMENT

State of football program

carolina81

Apr 4, 2001
Haven't been on here in a while, so I've returned to give my take on football team (and current regime, in general). Regardless of what you think about WM as a HC, fact remains that we are staring at 6 "sure" losses in 2019, just on paper (CU, UGA, Bama, A&M, UK, and UF). And that's based on those teams' current status, talent, recent history, etc. Meaning, 6-6 is best case scenario next year, and that requires us not slipping up in any of those six "winnable" games (highly unlikely).

My point is that Tanner is going to have a tough sell to the fanbase in 2019, if we're sitting at 5-7 or 4-8 at the end of that season. That would be a losing record in year 4 of current regime. Even if we play well against the gauntlet of good teams, we'll still have a losing record in year 4. At that point, the calls for change will be even louder than they are now (with some fans). Some tough decisions lie ahead for us, and it'll be interesting to see what happens. Go Cocks.

Reactions: RichFin53
Honestly we as a fanbase need to make a decision . Are we happy to be a middle of the road program that beats the teams we are supposed to beat which is essentially what we have been for 100 years ?? If not we gotta make a statement with our wallets. You saw that half empty stadium in Gainesville today . Top tier programs do not settle for mediocre. That’s why we can chose to aspire for more orvjust be happy with what we have . Let’s be honest , we bitch and moan after every bad loss but we still buy season tickets and watch every game and hope for better . We all know Muschamp wasn’t a home run hire but we gave him a shot and he is what he was at Florida . Now what do we do ?? I’ve heard Time and again losses don’t get coaches fired , but empty seats do . We will see . Clemson WILL 100% destroy us Again . Are we just gonna be cool with it and hope for better next year ??

Really not sure how 2019 schedule is even a concern right now.

Was just bringing it up, because it's degree of difficulty made it that much more important to post 8 or 9 wins this season (i.e. to stay in upward trend, especially for recruiting).

Honestly we as a fanbase need to make a decision . Are we happy to be a middle of the road program that beats the teams we are supposed to beat which is essentially what we have been for 100 years ?? If not we gotta make a statement with our wallets. You saw that half empty stadium in Gainesville today . Top tier programs do not settle for mediocre. That’s why we can chose to aspire for more orvjust be happy with what we have . Let’s be honest , we bitch and moan after every bad loss but we still buy season tickets and watch every game and hope for better . We all know Muschamp wasn’t a home run hire but we gave him a shot and he is what he was at Florida . Now what do we do ?? I’ve heard Time and again losses don’t get coaches fired , but empty seats do . We will see . Clemson WILL 100% destroy us Again . Are we just gonna be cool with it and hope for better next year ??
Who do we hire?

You guys laugh about Leach.

He won in Lubbock. He is winning in Pullman. Columbia is like NYC compared to those places. He could win here and win big.

Reactions: Noonoo-33
USC will have a problem attracting a coach of any real pedigree. Got lucky that Sourrier wanted back in, and wanted to go somewhere in the SEC. And he benefitted a great deal from UGA slipping a bit, and he didn't have to deal with the better teams from Florida and UT during the three glory years. Bottom line is the USC is rarely going to be able to recruit with UGA or Florida. Maybe can recruit with UT these days. So there is a bit of a ceiling on the program. USC can have a great team, and still finish third in the division. And we aren't catching Clemson, so throw that loss in there. An established winner isn't coming to a place where it is unlikely that he can win big. Then he goes and wins 8-9 games a year. But that wouldn't be good enough because everyone wants to be Alabama. I just don't know if that is possible at USC. A waste of time to talk about it anyway as Muschamp will be here through '21 no matter what

Post from another thread: since the title of this thread is "state of the program"

If i was over 100 years old and still had a clear mind... i could count on one hand, how many great seasons SC football has had.... and people want to fire Muschamp after 3 years..or 2 more seasons if he doesnt have one of those great seasons.

I'd take mike leach in a heartbeat. That guy can win games! No throwing in the towel on champ but I'd love some leach. Prob needs to put a couple guys in a hot box for a couple hours anyhow, including Josh Kendall, Teddy, and MoRon if he's still around here hiding under a rock

FL and UK aren't sure losses.
Not sure losses, but possibly likely. Florida will be another year under a new coach. Tenn will be a harder game next year. And we get App St instead of Coastal Carolina. When you lose to a team 5 years in a row (KY) it's a loss until we beat them.

This is an SEC program with deep pockets and SOS proved winning big is possible here . If we fired Champ tomorrow we would have a list of candidates lining up . We botched the last hire plain and simple . You don’t think Matt Campbell or Dino Babers would jump at a chance to come here . Muschamp talked a great game but he’s hasn’t changed since UF . His whole defensive genius reputation was built on the shoulders of 5 Stars at Texas and UF . His one year as DC at Auburn was atrocious, ask any Auburn fan . We got stuck with him because Tanner drug his feet and is obviously incompetent. I love Champs work ethic and drive but he can’t coach . My dog will will chase a ball in the yard for hours but he’s not gonna drive me to the store . At this point I would take Mike Leach in a drunken stupor over what we have now .

State of football program
...is that we are still losing games inexplicably, inexcusably, and inconceivably. Today's loss was one of the worst ever, and all the more because it was a defining game and one in which we were in an overwhelmingly good position to win. We now know for certain that we will win fewer games this year than last year, and that is a disheartening realization.

This is an SEC program with deep pockets and SOS proved winning big is possible here . If we fired Champ tomorrow we would have a list of candidates lining up . We botched the last hire plain and simple . You don’t think Matt Campbell or Dino Babers would jump at a chance to come here . Muschamp talked a great game but he’s hasn’t changed since UF . His whole defensive genius reputation was built on the shoulders of 5 Stars at Texas and UF . His one year as DC at Auburn was atrocious, ask any Auburn fan . We got stuck with him because Tanner drug his feet and is obviously incompetent. I love Champs work ethic and drive but he can’t coach . My dog will will chase a ball in the yard for hours but he’s not gonna drive me to the store . At this point I would take Mike Leach in a drunken stupor over what we have now .
I don't know if your post contains all the right answers, but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I couldn’t state it any better.

The hard truth is that there is only one coach who could win an SEC title at this school and his name is Nick Saban. We are a 7-5 program. Expect anything more and perpetually disappointed.

We are committed to the Palmetto Series, not Carolina football.. Learn to live with and celebrate women's sports.

Reactions: Pole
The hard truth is that there is only one coach who could win an SEC title at this school and his name is Nick Saban. We are a 7-5 program. Expect anything more and perpetually disappointed.

Bs, usc has NEVER committed to it like our neighbors have. We have always eaten whatever turd sandwich is served. Klempson has the exact same circumstances we do but we have a larger alumni base to attract $. No excuse for our pathetic performances.

Reactions: Pole and Judson1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT