ADVERTISEMENT

In short, what would salvage the 2023 wreck?

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
Right to the point, what would salvage the season? Realistically we arent gonna win 6 in a row we just arent tnat team.

I say handle Jax St and Vandy obviously. But beating Clemson and Kentucky. Going forward those are 2 teams we MUST re-establish ourselves above. Then win a bowl, finish above .500. Everything else would be a bonus. But a loss to UK or Clemson, or finishing below .500, would be a massive step back. We have 2 road games vs Mizzou and A&M that are basically whatever. I think we lose both.

Then we have a 4 game home stretch with likely a 2-6 record. Beamers tenure will swing massively on that 4 game run at home.

I still don't view this season as a total disaster as of yet. Our schedule was front-loaded and was the toughest in the country. We've been competitive in each of the games except maybe at Tennessee. The Florida game was a total bummer. We did everything but win that game.

Losses:
#10 UNC in Charlotte
#1 UGA in Athens
#17 Tennessee in Knoxville
UF in Columbia

It's unfortunate our best receiver has been injured through this run given that our QB is playing at such a high level. Who knows what these games would have looked at if Rattler wasn't starring down one receiver (XL) each game?

This weekend's game is a big one. Too bad it's not at WB b/c Missouri looks like they are hitting their stride. IMO, Missouri is the benchmark team for us to gauge success. They came into the league at the same time. They recruit about like us. They aren't located in a honey hole of recruiting-wise or from a deep pockets standpoint. They have a head coach who we could have acquired, etc. Wells is out AGAIN so lets see if we can find quality 2nd and 3rd outlets for Ratter as this is likely going to be a high scoring affair.

Last edited:
Right to the point, what would salvage the season? Realistically we arent gonna win 6 in a row we just arent tnat team.

I say handle Jax St and Vandy obviously. But beating Clemson and Kentucky. Going forward those are 2 teams we MUST re-establish ourselves above. Then win a bowl, finish above .500. Everything else would be a bonus. But a loss to UK or Clemson, or finishing below .500, would be a massive step back. We have 2 road games vs Mizzou and A&M that are basically whatever. I think we lose both.

Then we have a 4 game home stretch with likely a 2-6 record. Beamers tenure will

Then we have a 4 game home stretch with likely a 2-6 record. Beamers tenure will swing massively on that 4 game run at home.
I think he’s got a couple more years but he’s got to GO hire a decent DC

I still don't view this season as a total disaster as of yet. Our schedule was front-loaded and was the toughest in the country. We've been competitive in each of the games except maybe at Tennessee. The Florida game was a total bummer. We did everything but win that game.

Losses:
#10 UNC in Charlotte
#1 UGA in Athens
#17 Tennessee in Knoxville
UF in Columbia

It's unfortunate our best receiver has been injured through this run given that our QB is playing at such a high level. Who knows what these games would have looked at if Rattler wasn't starring down one receiver (XL) each game?

This weekend's game is a big one. Too bad it's not at WB b/c Missouri looks like they are hitting their stride. IMO, Missouri is the benchmark team for us to gauge success. They came into the league at the same time. They recruit about like us. They aren't located in a honey hole of recruiting-wise or from a deep pockets standpoint. They have a head coach who we could have acquired, etc. Wells is out AGAIN so lets see if we can find quality 2nd and 3rd outlets for Ratter as this is likely going to be a high scoring affair.
I agree, Missouri and UK are bench marks. To finish in the top half of the East is important and that means beating them and Vandy.

I just dont see road wins at Missouri and at aTm. We will be 2-6 going into a final 4 home stretch

I agree, Missouri and UK are bench marks. To finish in the top half of the East is important and that means beating them and Vandy.

I just dont see road wins at Missouri and at aTm. We will be 2-6 going into a final 4 home stretch

Agreed.

I heard someone discussing 5-7 as qualifying for a bowl. (I hope that's not really the case)

We aren't out of contention for a bowl yet, but missing that would be a terrible step backwards, imo. We need to at least qualify for a bowl for the season not to be a failure.

Agreed.

I heard someone discussing 5-7 as qualifying for a bowl. (I hope that's not really the case)

We aren't out of contention for a bowl yet, but missing that would be a terrible step backwards, imo. We need to at least qualify for a bowl for the season not to be a failure.

I think a bowl could actually hurt more than help depending on the bowl. If we get sent to an awful bowl vs a G5 team, its gonna be their Super Bowl, half our guys will opt out and we finish with an embarrassing ass kicking from Bowling Green or something

I think a bowl could actually hurt more than help depending on the bowl. If we get sent to an awful bowl vs a G5 team, its gonna be their Super Bowl, half our guys will opt out and we finish with an embarrassing ass kicking from Bowling Green or something

Losing a nothing bowl can be forgotten a week later. Even now, we write off last year's bowl because of so many opt outs on both sides.

Imo, not even qualifying for a bowl would be held against us by recruits, opponents and our own fan base a lot more than some chump bowl no one paid attention to anyway.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

Nothing less than achieving bowl eligibility would constitute "saving" the season, and then only if we were to win the half-@$$ed bowl in which we would be involved. As of today, this season appears all but unsaveable. Somehow win on Saturday and the outlight brightens slightly.

Agreed.

Finish with more losses than wins and how could this season be other than a yawning failure? It couldn't be.

Reactions: Lurker123
Finish 6-6, and I have no major gripe. Beat Clemson and all is forgiven. I expected year three for Beamer was going to be tough. Muschamp's downfall started in year three.

Finish 6-6, and I have no major gripe. Beat Clemson and all is forgiven. I expected year three for Beamer was going to be tough. Muschamp's downfall started in year three.

I was thinking that 6-6 would "salvage" the year too. But that would be anything but a success. It would still be a large step backwards.

Only way to salvage IMO is win out and beat Klimpsun, I would be okay with losing to UK, Mizzoo or A&M to go 5-1 to end the year, But beating taters now is a MUST!!

Missouri is the benchmark team for us to gauge success. They came into the league at the same time. They recruit about like us. They aren't located in a honey hole of recruiting-wise or from a deep pockets standpoint.
Mizzou actually has a decent amount of talent in-state if you consider that we are the only major program in our state. If we just keep our own kids at home, we would be way ahead in the recruiting game. The problem is that our major population centers are on the borders of the state. Traditionally Nebraska, kansas State and kansas have all at least attempted to compete for kansas City recruits. On the East side, Notre Dame, Ohio State try to cherry pick St. Louis and Illinois and others are in on the next tier of kids.

NIL is giving us the ability to keep kids home (at least so far). If it stays that way, we may actually be ahead of schools in more talent-rich states who have to share the talent with other schools. Time will tell.

Dude, we are 2-4 South Carolina team. We’re no ones super bowl.

Reactions: cockofdawn
At this point, just beat clemson. That's all that's left of this miserable season. Their worst team in a decade or more, and we can't beat our way out of a wet paper bag....... sigh

Reactions: cockofdawn

Being born the fan of a successful football program?

Losing a nothing bowl can be forgotten a week later. Even now, we write off last year's bowl because of so many opt outs on both sides.

Imo, not even qualifying for a bowl would be held against us by recruits, opponents and our own fan base a lot more than some chump bowl no one paid attention to anyway.

Losing to Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl isnt that bad, no. But losing to Liberty in the Pop Tart Bowl? That would be remembered a long time as an embarrassment, would be remembered far longer than “oh that rough year we had a losing season”. Images stick in memory and an embarrassing bowl loss will linger more than missing one will.

I still remember UConn kicking our a** in a bowl game. Embarrassing. But I can’t remember much about the seasons like 2007 when we didnt play in one. Id rather we never played in that joke bowl.

With the last decade plus, wouldn't beating Clemson soundly be enough for you?
That would be great. Finishing 6-6 and winning a bowl to go 7-6 would actually be incredible bc we would only be 1 game below last years 8-5, which is remembered as a great season. A 7-6 finish and all criticism of Beamer would need to stop bc it is true injuries have plagued this team.

That would be great. Finishing 6-6 and winning a bowl to go 7-6 would actually be incredible bc we would only be 1 game below last years 8-5, which is remembered as a great season. A 7-6 finish and all criticism of Beamer would need to stop bc it is true injuries have plagued this team.
Before winning in 2022, SC had lost seven in a row to in-state rival Clemson. I would think beating them should go a long way toward satisfying the SC fanbase. Despite Negative Nancy's comments above.

Before winning in 2022, SC had lost seven in a row to in-state rival Clemson. I would think beating them should go a long way toward satisfying the SC fanbase. Despite Negative Nancy's comments above.

I thought everyone was in agreement on beating clemson salvaging at least a little of the season. Which comment are you referring to?

At this point, just beat clemson. That's all that's left of this miserable season. Their worst team in a decade or more, and we can't beat our way out of a wet paper bag....... sigh
and Kentucky, oh God, the agony of defeat would weigh down upon me if we can't beat them. I can already feel my in-laws licking their lips to talk about how bad our program is

Reactions: 92Pony
"Wreck", "Terrible", "Bad", "Salvage"

UNC
UGA
UT
Florida
Missouri
A&M

Above are the teams we've lost to this season.

All but one of those losses (UF: 2pt) were on the road.

With the exception of possibly Missouri (tie), all of those teams above recruit superior talent.

We played Missouri on the road this season.

I’m never going to be happy about our over all record this season even if we did win out.

But…. I think all the games left are winnable. So win out, especially against a Clemson. And go on to a bowl with good a player participation turnout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT