ADVERTISEMENT

Stupidest thing you ever did as a kid or teen and live to tell the story

Lol totally off topic but if you can find these lures in SC grab some . It’s a saltwater inshore bait designed for trout and Reds but I’ve been catching some monster bass on them . Get the 4.5 inch ones preferably white with the Chartreuse tail . Take the treble hook off and replace it with a 2/0 Owner In-Line hook on top so you can fish it shallow . Vudu Mullet by Egret baits . Probably get them on EBay if no store in SC has them .

I'll look next time I'm at the beach. I live about 2.5 hours away. I have some Vudu Shrimp I bought at Pawleys about 5 years ago. That looks awesome though. I haven't had much luck with hard swimbaits. I need to give them a better chance to work for me.

I was in my late teens, one day at the beach we decided to swim up and around the fishing pier. The municipal pier at that.
As if this was not stupid enough as we walked back we decided to do it again. Just when i got halfway is when 2 thoughts went through my head.
1. Oh sh**, I'm getting really tired.
2. Didn't I hear someone caught a 4ft shark off this pier the other day.
I managed to get to the other side and let the tide do most of the work to get me back in.
I thanked God, and promised I would never do that again. Promise kept.
Fishing-Pier-in-Miami-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheReelEss
Lol totally off topic but if you can find these lures in SC grab some . It’s a saltwater inshore bait designed for trout and Reds but I’ve been catching some monster bass on them . Get the 4.5 inch ones preferably white with the Chartreuse tail . Take the treble hook off and replace it with a 2/0 Owner In-Line hook on top so you can fish it shallow . Vudu Mullet by Egret baits . Probably get them on EBay if no store in SC has them .

Along those same lines, what advice do you have for brackish water bass? My sister has a place in a nice mobile home park in Garden City. The development has a boat ramp for the saltwater inlet. But it has a freshwater canal right in the back yard and a freshwater pond they can also fish. It has to be a bit brackish, doesn't it? I think I'll take my kayak and give both a try. Do you think the added salinity makes any difference whatsoever in the fishing?

Along those same lines, what advice do you have for brackish water bass? My sister has a place in a nice mobile home park in Garden City. The development has a boat ramp for the saltwater inlet. But it has a freshwater canal right in the back yard and a freshwater pond they can also fish. It has to be a bit brackish, doesn't it? I think I'll take my kayak and give both a try. Do you think the added salinity makes any difference whatsoever in the fishing?

Definitely!! I’ve fished several areas where you would catch reds and trout on one cast and bass on the next . They can tolerate pretty high salinity as long as they have quick access to fresher water . I would definitely target them after a significant amount of rain . Don’t know why but that seems to fire them up in brackish water . The main forage is probably finger mullet so use lures with that similar profile . Zara Spooks and any kind of walk the dog mullet imitating lure . Also believe it or not those brackish water bass eat a lot of shrimp . Fish a live shrimp on a popping cork and you might get a brackish water slam ... Trout , Red and Bass . Keep an eye out for the tides also . Many times they will set up down current from the tide and wait for bait to get sucked out so they can get and easy meal . Those little brackish water ponds can be a gold mine . My buddy in South Florida has one behind his house and we caught two 40lb tarpon from his backyard last year !! Good luck !! Let me know how you do !!

Definitely!! I’ve fished several areas where you would catch reds and trout on one cast and bass on the next . They can tolerate pretty high salinity as long as they have quick access to fresher water . I would definitely target them after a significant amount of rain . Don’t know why but that seems to fire them up in brackish water . The main forage is probably finger mullet so use lures with that similar profile . Zara Spooks and any kind of walk the dog mullet imitating lure . Also believe it or not those brackish water bass eat a lot of shrimp . Fish a live shrimp on a popping cork and you might get a brackish water slam ... Trout , Red and Bass . Keep an eye out for the tides also . Many times they will set up down current from the tide and wait for bait to get sucked out so they can get and easy meal . Those little brackish water ponds can be a gold mine . My buddy in South Florida has one behind his house and we caught two 40lb tarpon from his backyard last year !! Good luck !! Let me know how you do !!

Sure thing. Thanks!

I grab a water moccasin by the tail thinking it was a black snake. I was very lucky.

Dang you got lucky !!! Those things will usually light you up bad if you grab them . I hate those things . Me and my dad were fishing lake Marion one year just drifting thru cypress trees with the motor off . I had been pushing us of off trees all afternoon and never even thought twice . Well I had an angel in the boat that day because near the end of the day I was reaching to grab a limb to push off and out of the blue my dad said “Check that limb”. He hadn’t said anything all day and I pushed off probably 100 trees ... well when I looked there was a moccasin on that limb as big around as my forearm . I was literally reaching for that limb , Inches away . What’s even crazier is we were drifting so we couldn’t stop or reverse so we laid down in the boat and glided right under the limb . That damn snake was a foot from my face and it never moved or did anything threatening. Still I count that as a time the good lord had his eye on me !!!

Sure thing. Thanks!

If you ever get a chance the lower Cooper river in Moncks Corner is dynamite bass fishing . It’s a tidal brackish river and there are some HOGS in that river system . There’s an access at bushy park and then another access further up the road near cypress gardens . Its really good on a falling tide .

We lived in Sumter, SC when my sister and I were in 4th-6th grades. For some reason, my sister and I decided it would be funny to make my mom think my sister went missing one day. Admittedly, we didn't think it through. We were walking home and decided my sister would take the longer way around, and when I got home I told my mom "we were walking together, but after we crossed the road I didn't see her anymore." We thought mom would get a little scared, and then my sister would emerge walking from the other direction and then we'd all have a big laugh.

Didn't quite go down that way. Turns out, my sister and I weren't super into current events at that age. What we hadn't accounted for were the actions being taken by a man named Larry Gene Bell. When I got home and delivered my line, my mom FREAKED out. And that's an understatement.

When my dad got home, I got a spanking like no other I ever had.

Truly among the stupidest things I ever did and I am genuinely lucky to have survived it.

Bottle rocket wars. One hit my shoe and ran up pants leg before exploding. Still don't have kids - Not sure if correlated.

I still have a scar on my upper lip from throwing one at a buddy one July 4. Damn thing turned around about halfway to where I thought it was going, hit me smack in the mouth and exploded. Beer makes you do dumb stuff.

But I was gonna say car roof surfing on interstate was probably dumbest thing I ever did. Beer makes you do dumb stuff.

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
I was 24, not a teen. I worked at a car dealership when I was younger. We had a Dodge Viper on the showroom floor. One day when the owner was not around, we got it out and took turns driving it. One set of guys came back and said they had gotten up to 137. Then the next set of guys said they got up to 145. There was this two lane road where people used to drag race because it had a long strait away. I got up to 80 mph in fourth gear before I hit the strait away, then hit fifth gear at 120. I never hit 6th gear but I held on until I hit 152. I got back to the dealership and found out the other guys had been lying to mess with me, and nobody had gotten over 120.

I was riding somewhere with a section sergeant in Germany in 89 on the autobahn in his new Camaro heading to Frankfurt to do something and all of a sudden he just floored it and started weaving in and out of traffic on the tail of this sports car.
Next thing I know he's racing side-by-side with this German guy who for all I know was a F1 driver and we're all hauling ass. The sergeant had that thing going wide open when the governor kicked in -- he said -- and the BMW or Porsche or whatever it was shot on by while we started backing down toward double digit speeds.

I later found out the sergeant had mental issues.

They had to give him some kind of drug to help him focus, and it made him focus so much he'd forget everything else and just keep doing whatever it was he was doing.

I never felt entirely comfortable riding shotgun with that sergeant again, on or off his meds.

I went cave diving in Australia. The cave was about 50 feet down and there were parts you had to move hand over hand it was so small and dark. I was nearing panic and really had to calm myself down- focusing only on the few inches ahead of me. My heart rate is going up just thinking about it. I never dove again. Terrifying

I also participated in many bottle rocket wars. Once a guy on my team had a live bottle rocket fly into his bag of fireworks. He didn't notice until the entire bag blew up in his hand. I was 5 feet from him and I couldn't hear a thing. He was dazed- his hair was singed- and his jacket had melted around the cuff of the hand holding the bag. We spent two hours trying to get him put back together and convincing him not to tell his parents. Bless his heart- he never did!

My best friend and I were duck hunting in the Georgetown marsh, about 50 feet apart. Ducks flew over and he opened up with his shot gun. Most of the pellets from the 12 gage landed on me.

So I started shooting straight up and my pellets landed on him.

So the next hour we both wasted all of our shotgun shells shooting up in the air hitting each other via the force of gravity.

We usually tell people we got in a shotgun fight. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I went cave diving in Australia. The cave was about 50 feet down and there were parts you had to move hand over hand it was so small and dark. I was nearing panic and really had to calm myself down- focusing only on the few inches ahead of me. My heart rate is going up just thinking about it. I never dove again. Terrifying

I also participated in many bottle rocket wars. Once a guy on my team had a live bottle rocket fly into his bag of fireworks. He didn't notice until the entire bag blew up in his hand. I was 5 feet from him and I couldn't hear a thing. He was dazed- his hair was singed- and his jacket had melted around the cuff of the hand holding the bag. We spent two hours trying to get him put back together and convincing him not to tell his parents. Bless his heart- he never did!

Yeah I heard cave diving is super dangerous. Very easy to get turned around . I bet for a very experienced diver ( which I’m sure you are ) it’s super cool but that would scare me to death .

I can't think of a more claustrophobic feeling. I don't know if I could stand diving at all.

Yeah

I married a stripper....

Wtf

Welp at least she was gainfully employed . That’s gotta count for something . Here’s the million dollar question ... did you know she was a stripper before ?? Had a buddy who thought his girlfriend worked at a nursing home , just so happened ... she didn’t . That was a pretty awkward night . Surprise surprise

Around 8- 10 years old, I went camping with some friends in a heavily wooded area near our neighborhood. The next morning we were just hanging out around the campsite and I decided to climb a fallen pine tree. I had on shorts but decided how much fun it would be to showoff my athletic ability to the others by shimming across the tree, straddling the trunk and its limbs. No one else dared to do what I was doing. My crotch was sliding up-and-down that tree and it's limbs all morning.

When I got home that day and by that early evening - I realized I was eaten up with chiggers. I never knew what a chigger was until that day. There must of been what seemed to be hundreds of bites - all around my crotch, butt and my most prized private part.

It was so bad, my Mother took me to the doctor. My most embarrassing moment was sitting in the doctors office waiting room, praying that no one would ask me what sickness I had. I suffered for many days with the worse itching possible in the worse possible place.

Wasn’t stupid it was necessary. I jumped over a 10 foot gator. It was that or I was going to have to spend the night on Bull Island with it and many other gators. No light,no water or food. Sand gnats and mosquitoes would have tortured me. Two of us caught a ride to the uninhabited island from retired game warden. Let us out on back of island. Told me to be back there by 5pm or he would leave us. Wasn’t going to wait for us. Long causeway to the beach. Water on both sides. After a day on the beach we headed back. Only the gator had come out of the water and was napping across the road. Head touching water on one side, tail touching water on the other side. We were trapped. I tried reasoning with him. Didn’t work. So I backed up,got a running start and set an olympic record for the broad jump. My buddy told me to come back and get my cooler and chair. Said he wasn’t carrying both of our stuff. You can guess what my reply was

Reactions: JohnnySolo

Been diving for years, did a cavern (not cave) at Ginny Springs. That was close enough for me to know that Cave Diving would not be part of my repertoire. Complete darkness, Zero vis, constant fear of kicking up blinding silt then throw in redundancy equipment.
I just don't get it, but those that do say the love it. Go figure.

Long story short. Had a Mustang at a party at VFW off Bluff Road. Girl said she was going back to my house and to meet her there. Took off on wrong side of Bluff Road. Got back on correct side and took the interstate to Garners Ferry Road. No problem. We had snow or sleet that day. Got off of Garners Ferry exit to head towards Columbia. Had the green light as I was approaching GF Road. Gave it a little gas and around I went in the middle of the intersection. A sweet 180. No one around. No police. Made it to the house with girl on the porch.

I learned early on that the best cure for chiggers is a dab of turpentine on each red spot.

Long story short. Had a Mustang at a party at VFW off Bluff Road. Girl said she was going back to my house and to meet her there. Took off on wrong side of Bluff Road. Got back on correct side and took the interstate to Garners Ferry Road. No problem. We had snow or sleet that day. Got off of Garners Ferry exit to head towards Columbia. Had the green light as I was approaching GF Road. Gave it a little gas and around I went in the middle of the intersection. A sweet 180. No one around. No police. Made it to the house with girl on the porch.
So you had 3 thrills in one night. Partying, wild ride, and good luvin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT