ADVERTISEMENT

Summary of Allegations Involving Lamont Evans while at S. Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

crouterhead

Jun 7, 2003
From here:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998756/download

. As early as Spring 2015, the agents/brokers discussed Evans as someone who was known to be willing to take bribes to use his influence to direct players to sign with companies

. Phone contact was allegedly made in Dec. 2015 where terms were discussed on how much could be paid to Evans

. The parties met on March 3, 2016. "Player 3," who Evans claimed would be a first round pick next year, was discussed specifically as someone Evans could convince to sign.

. One of the defendants claimed he had previously paid Evans for his influence, $2,500 a month for a couple of months.

. On April 5th, one day after he was hired at Oklahoma St., the parties talked by phone. Evans claimed he had talked to "Player 3" and his family, and they seemed agreeable to a financial arrangement. They planned to meet to discuss specifics later.

. On April 19th, the parties met in person. $500 went to Evans. He talked of setting up a meeting with "Player 3".

. On August 3, Evans and the undercover investigator spoke by phone. The investigator asked Evans if they "got" "Player-3". Evans seems to have dodged the question to talk about Oklahoma St. and their players.

. On August 16th, Evans sent a text to the undercover guy with the name of "Player 3", and another player at South Carolina who was a sophomore. This established Player 3 as Thornwell and the other player as Dozier, likely.

Last edited:
One more:

In April or May 2017 (a year later), Evans arranged for one of the other defendants to meet with "Player 3"s mother. Doesn't say if that meeting actually happened. Same time frame, the defendants appear to imply that, though they have given Evans money, he hadn't "delivered" anything yet.

Evans is obviously in big trouble. The key for South Carolina will be: 1) Did Thornwell actually receive any money? This would compromise his eligibility. You know what that means. And, 2.) Did Martin know about Evans?

Reactions: rogue cock
Since there is nothing in the allegations that I see dealing with recruiting any players to South Carolina, it appears to be an example of a guy (Evans) trying to line his own pockets, as opposed to trying to help South Carolina cheat to get players. So viewed in that lens, it wouldn't make as much sense for Martin to be involved.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Deer lowered, this is not what we need. Basketball has always been corrupt, but never thought it might taint USC.

Evans is obviously in big trouble. The key for South Carolina will be: 1) Did Thornwell actually receive any money? This would compromise his eligibility. You know what that means. And, 2.) Did Martin know about Evans?

Is that why Thornwell was out of those games earlier in the year?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Is that why Thornwell was out of those games earlier in the year?

If that wasn't the reason, then that's what happens when the university refuses to say why a player is suspended: people speculate.

I remember A.J. Green was suspended for 4 games at UGA and paid back the money he received for a jersey.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
They can make us take the banner down but they can never say we didn't make it to the Final 4 ever in our history or we haunt won an NCAA tourney game since 1973, we won so that's it

I hope dawn Staley and the ladies program is not investigated. That is all we got right now.

1432238714704_zpsys7fobcr.jpg

1) Given the above timeline, I don't think it would matter. By the time he or his family would have received money, his eligibility would have already been expired. 2) I highly doubt it.

Those dates are for 2016.
Look again. The last four dates are clearly from 2017, and the first is December 2016 (the second date is March 2016, but I think that's just a typo by the OP). Looks to me like he got the call in December and really started to go to work immediately after the tournament.

Look again. The last four dates are clearly from 2017, and the first is December 2016 (the second date is March 2016, but I think that's just a typo by the OP). Looks to me like he got the call in December and really started to go to work immediately after the tournament.

The typo was the December date. It's December 2015.

Reactions: DarkCock

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think it's clear. Evans was hired at Okie State on April 4th, 2016.

On April 5th, one day after he was hired at Oklahoma St., the parties talked by phone. Evans claimed he had talked to "Player 3" and his family, and they seemed agreeable to a financial arrangement. They planned to meet to discuss specifics later.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think it's clear. Evans was hired at Okie State on April 4th, 2016.

On April 5th, one day after he was hired at Oklahoma St., the parties talked by phone. Evans claimed he had talked to "Player 3" and his family, and they seemed agreeable to a financial arrangement. They planned to meet to discuss specifics later.
Oop. My apologies.

Reactions: DarkCock
This is rinky dink money. No way Evans cut his players in on that little bit to get them to sign much larger contracts. It would be meaningless to the players, break their trust if disclosed, and therefore ruin Evans' scheme.

No way USC or Martin knew about it either, as it certainly didn't do us any good to recommend people sign with Adidas. I.e., all risk to USC and no reward = you're fired.

Finally, IMHO, I'm a bit surprised (maybe even dismayed) we're deploying federal agents to police shoe contracts when there is so much serious corruption in the world. I come across a decent number of financial crimes in my line of work, and I have to tell people over and over that the government simply isn't going to help them. I will say though that the one time I did get some help it was the Feds. They are pros if you can get them on your cause.

This is rinky dink money. No way Evans cut his players in on that little bit to get them to sign much larger contracts. It would be meaningless to the players, break their trust if disclosed, and therefore ruin Evans' scheme.

No way USC or Martin knew about it either, as it certainly didn't do us any good to recommend people sign with Adidas. I.e., all risk to USC and no reward = you're fired.

Finally, IMHO, I'm a bit surprised (maybe even dismayed) we're deploying federal agents to police shoe contracts when there is so much serious corruption in the world. I come across a decent number of financial crimes in my line of work, and I have to tell people over and over that the government simply isn't going to help them. I will say though that the one time I did get some help it was the Feds. They are pros if you can get them on your cause.
100,000 to 150000 aint rinky dink money...pitino is toast

Clemsin has cheated, several holding cash, but won't be found out.
Meanwhile We give players cookies (Holtz era) busted!
Our players get some mediocre deal at the Whitney...busted!
An assistant coach lines his pockets in basketball. And we recruit guys like Kotsar...busted!

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Also in the crossfire is so-called “University 2,” which in the complaints is described in a way that resembles the University of South Carolina and only the University of South Carolina – “a public research university located in South Carolina … with over 30,000 students …”

believe what you want..but the sh*ts bout to get real.......https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-brings-armageddon-college-basketball-just-tip-iceberg-184524346.html

Brother, you're way late to the conversation.

Brother, you're way late to the conversation.
Lol. You guys on here saying it aint nothing..i aint late..just getting you prepared for when that hammer falls..people aint even started to flip to save that ass...better hide that final four flag..its coming down

Lol. You guys on here saying it aint nothing..i aint late..just getting you prepared for when that hammer falls..people aint even started to flip to save that ass...better hide that final four flag..its coming down

Wonder if we'll then feel like tater fans feel about their 81 title? SC is a hot bed of NBA talent and we've been a power in basketball for so long that I can understand why the feds are trying to take us down. Now if the story was about a tater bag man, I could believe it.

Oop. My apologies.

You're right, however, that there was no contact between Thornwell's(?) mother and the agent until after the season.

attachment.php

Thornwell's current agent is not named in the document. And from all the photos I've seen of Sin with the Clippers he's not wearing Adidas. It seems like Evans was mostly a con man, who failed to deliver.

Based on what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT