ADVERTISEMENT

Sunshine Pumpers Forum

Notwithstanding the fact that those on the field are also grown men, I disagree with your premise. I haven't seen many posts on this forum belittling our players. Complaining that our receivers drop too many passes, our QB is too erratic, our defensive players miss too many tackles, and our guys look undisciplined? Is that belittling? If so, I'm not sure Muschamp and the staff can instruct our young men without destroying their psyches in the process.

On the contrary, I think the fans who belittle our players the most are the sunshine pumpers who think the program is progressing nicely under Muschamp and that he only needs more time to recruit better players. In their view, a 3-3 record at this point in the season is as much as we could hope for with this current group of guys. In their view, our players simply don't have the talent to compete with teams like Kentucky or A&M.
Langston Moore thinks the program is progressing under Muschamp. I'd take his opinion over any on this site.

There are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics. As has been pointed out ad nauseam, SOS had us beating good and ranked teams we had never even challenged before in his first year. Muschamp hasn't even sniffed that. In fact, we look worse in Year 3 than Year 2.
Which means SOS was also losing to some really crappy teams during those years.....and during the 11 win seasons.

That our program is moving more forwards than backwards. I don’t agree. Our recruiting is no better than under SOS, and arguably it’s not as good. The coaching is definitely not better (or as good). The record is not as good. The product on the field is not better. Fan enthusiasm is not as good. Season ticket sales are not as good. So, I fail to see any material evidence that Cock-A-Doo’s post is accurate at all.

Fair enough if you don't agree...
I think people only want to compare Muschamp years 1-3 to Spurrier's years 6-9 (not his years 1-5 nor his years 10-11)

When you do compare their years 1-3 you get the "yeah well Spurrier beat some good teams" argument which holds some water I guess but also Spurrier lost to some crap teams too. My personal opinion is just there isn't enough of a difference for me to say one has totally out-performed or under-performed the other. One key part of that whole equation is when Spurrier came here we felt like we were getting one of the God's of CFB coaching and when Muschamp came here there was a ton of skepticism (which I'm not arguing against because I felt some of that too), just that fact alone I think taints the perception of the 2 coaches and their respective results.

Anyways, I just like to choose being positive over negative...like my initial post on this thread stated, I'm alive today and that's my right to have that choice and I think it serves me best, not just with football fandom. It was also nice to have a week off from Gamecock football...regardless of which side of the Sunshine Pumper debate we stand on we all live with and carry the burden and heartache of being a Gamecock fan....it's just been our reality and to me I embrace it as much as I can and step away for a break when I can't properly have it in proper perspective.

SOS first five years were a grand total of 35 wins vs 28 losses. They finished with an SEC record of 18-22 during that first five year run. So if that is statistically the best years of the football program up to that point in history, then I do not understand how we can be down on the current staff. In his first five years, SOS finished 7-5 (5-3), 8-5 (3-5), 6-6 (3-5), 7-6 (4-4), and 7-6 (3-5). Year Three was the year SOS announced his team was ready to compete for the SEC East Title. That year, while attending the game with our son, we managed to lose to Vanderbilt at home. No one is happy with the product we have seen on the field this year. But we are still in Year Three of a Five Year measuring stick. After five years, make the determination to stay the course or bring in the next guy. I put losses and undisciplined play on the shoulders of the current coaching staff. They are the ones I am most disappointed in. As for the players, I am sure they are doing the best they can but the talent level is just not there in the numbers needed to compete week to week. So I will be a Gamecock fan until I die, but I no longer lose sleep over wins and loses like I did when I was in my 20's and 30's. At my age (60), other things concern me more.
Spurrier was a proven winner and he was beating ranked teams, including Clemson, in his first three years. Sorry, Muschamp isn't Spurrier. He was lucky to get another shot so fast and because he failed at Florida, he doesn't get a mulligan. Is that fair? Probably not. But who ever said life was fair?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I think people only want to compare Muschamp years 1-3 to Spurrier's years 6-9 (not his years 1-5 nor his years 10-11)

When you do compare their years 1-3 you get the "yeah well Spurrier beat some good teams" argument which holds some water I guess but also Spurrier lost to some crap teams too. My personal opinion is just there isn't enough of a difference for me to say one has totally out-performed or under-performed the other. One key part of that whole equation is when Spurrier came here we felt like we were getting one of the God's of CFB coaching and when Muschamp came here there was a ton of skepticism (which I'm not arguing against because I felt some of that too), just that fact alone I think taints the perception of the 2 coaches and their respective results.

Anyways, I just like to choose being positive over negative...like my initial post on this thread stated, I'm alive today and that's my right to have that choice and I think it serves me best, not just with football fandom. It was also nice to have a week off from Gamecock football...regardless of which side of the Sunshine Pumper debate we stand on we all live with and carry the burden and heartache of being a Gamecock fan....it's just been our reality and to me I embrace it as much as I can and step away for a break when I can't properly have it in proper perspective.
Exactly.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo

I see many, many posts in this thread that seem to imply that Spurrier led our program into the pits of college football. His biggest failure was his lack of a defensive coach with any modicum of what defense means ( with the exception of Charlie Strong-who also got squirrely on 3rd and long). He felt that he could win by just out scoring his opponents when he would have increased his win total by more than just a little by having someone to direct his defense who emphasized coverage and tackling--look at his best records.

Who is to bless and who is to blame? Being a Gamecock Fan is not a burden short of pledging your first born to the Prince of Darkness; it is a choice which should be more pleasant.

PS.... he also screwed around with his QBs too much...maybe he would have been in heaven with the RPO thingie;)

Last edited:
I see many, many posts in this thread that seem to imply that Spurrier led our program into the pits of college football. His biggest failure was his lack of a defensive coach with any modicum of what defense means ( with the exception of Charlie Strong-who also got squirrely on 3rd and long). He felt that he could win by just out scoring his opponents when he would have increased his win total by having someone to direct his defense who emphasized coverage and tackling--look at his best records.

Who is to bless and who is to blame?

PS.... he also screwed around with his QBs too much...maybe he would haven in heaven with the RPO thingie;)
Strong? What the heck are you talking about? Strong never was the DC under Spurrier. Nix was his first DC. Ellis Johnson was the primary reason Spurrier was so successful. His defenses were fantastic. Great coach and assembled a great defensive staff.

Strong? What the heck are you talking about? Strong never was the DC under Spurrier. Nix was his first DC. Ellis Johnson was the primary reason Spurrier was so successful. His defenses were fantastic. Great coach and assembled a great defensive staff.
name the other defensive minds... not just DCs but backfield and lb coaches who were involved in this effort... again I say we won more by scoring big time than by shut outs

Statistics are things subject to manipulation like rushing yards or passing percentages. Wins are wins. That isn't just statistics. As great as his 11 win seasons were later, SOS didn't do all that well the first five years. Muschamp at least has a 9 win season.
And as I mentioned, Muschamp hasn't had significant upset win since he's been here. Some would argue that his first win over UT and the wins last year over over NC State and Michigan would qualify. That UT win has seriously diminished since then. It was hard to tell how good NC State really was. Michigan probably the biggest, but their offense was more putrid than ours.

Spurrier not only beat some good teams, but more often than not, we just look more competitive and better prepared on the way to those 11 win seasons. I can't say the same for Muschamp's teams.

This is the one thing that is not opinion but can be actually compared.

SOS 1st year 7-5
SOS 2nd year 8-5
SOS 3rd year 6-6
SOS 4th year 7-6
SOS 5th year 7-6
BOOM 1st year 6-7
BOOM 2nd year 9-4
BOOM 3rd year 3-3

Yet SOS sets a pretty low bar for Muschamp. He need only go 15-17 the rest of the year and next two years to equal SOS. Who thinks Muschamp does better than 15-17? I do.
Well Muschamp better beat Clemson's rear ends this year since Spurrier did it in year 3. Spurrier also never lost 56-7 to them and Spurrier had several wins over ranked teams in his first 3 years. Muschamp might pass Spurrier in wins by beating a bunch of nobodies but if he gets that record by never beating Clemson or winning any meaningful games over ranked teams then he's a failure in my opinion.

Well Muschamp better beat Clemson's rear ends this year since Spurrier did it in year 3. Spurrier also never lost 56-7 to them and Spurrier had several wins over ranked teams in his first 3 years. Muschamp might pass Spurrier in wins by beating a bunch of nobodies but if he gets that record by never beating Clemson or winning any meaningful games over ranked teams then he's a failure in my opinion.
You are going to have to reassess what constitutes success around here.Laughing

You are going to have to reassess what constitutes success around here.Laughing
Well I mean if some want to compare records between the two in the first 3 years then let's take a deeper dive and see what wins they had in those 3 years.:D

Reactions: king ward
But remember, Holtz left Spurrier in amazing shape.Eyeroll
Yeah really. Poor Spurrier had to dismiss half the team when he got here and Cory Boyd begged him to play instead of being kicked off. Plus Spurrier had to break in a new QB that Holtz never even used. Spurrier inherited a broken team a year removed from the brawl. Muschamp walked in on nothing even close to that. He basically had to do at Florida what Spurrier did here but Spurrier made it work.

Can you honestly say that Muschamp's teams look any better today than they did when he first got here? We could usually say that about Spurrier's teams.
Oh, I remember walking out of the stadium during Spurrier's first five years thinking we looked like crap. People seem to overlook Nix and his swiss cheese defense and Hunt's stand up OL. We looked totally lost in some games, offensively and defensively.

Reactions: allyourbase
Yeah really. Poor Spurrier had to dismiss half the team when he got here and Cory Boyd begged him to play instead of being kicked off. Plus Spurrier had to break in a new QB that Holtz never even used. Spurrier inherited a broken team a year removed from the brawl. Muschamp walked in on nothing even close to that. He basically had to do at Florida what Spurrier did here but Spurrier made it work.
What half of the team did he dismiss? I'll hang up and listen.

Can you honestly say that Muschamp's teams look any better today than they did when he first got here? We could usually say that about Spurrier's teams.
See I disagree with this and I think its easy to "mis-remember" a lot of the early Spurrier years because we was SO successful prior and we were all so hoping that it was going to be that NEXT game that it all clicked and it just never did....for the first 5 years.
I specifically remember during early Spurrier years the Oline being atrocious, we had an offense that apparently took guys 3 years to learn, and we'd beat a good team then not show up randomly.

Reactions: rogue cock
Didn't he ultimately get rid of a supposed stud hoss linebacker for one?
I suppose I should defer to you since you seem to have an entirely different recollection than I do. By the way do you have much in the way of Deitzel testimony perhaps a yard of astro- turf? ;)
Moe Thompson

D. Summers and Moe Thompson = 8/9 starters? There were a few serving a one game suspension against a 0-15 Central Florida team because of an off season fight but they were not kicked off the team.
It wasn't due to the fight, it was due to stealing laptops and the school pressing charges against them. Happened after the brawl.

See I disagree with this and I think its easy to "mis-remember" a lot of the early Spurrier years because we was SO successful prior and we were all so hoping that it was going to be that NEXT game that it all clicked and it just never did....for the first 5 years.
I specifically remember during early Spurrier years the Oline being atrocious, we had an offense that apparently took guys 3 years to learn, and we'd beat a good team then not show up randomly.
I remember just fine. Just because we would get beat by some teams doesn't mean that it was as consistently awful in big games like it is now.

Oh, I remember walking out of the stadium during Spurrier's first five years thinking we looked like crap. People seem to overlook Nix and his swiss cheese defense and Hunt's stand up OL. We looked totally lost in some games, offensively and defensively.
Oh we definitely got blown out every once in a while under Spurrier. But it wasn't as consistently awful as it has gotten under Muschamp. But my point still stands that Spurrier beat some of those good and ranked teams and Muschamp doesn't seem to be able to. I agree about Hunt and Nix. They were terrible. And Spurrier hung on to them way too long.

Oh we definitely got blown out every once in a while under Spurrier. But it wasn't as consistently awful as it has gotten under Muschamp. But my point still stands that Spurrier beat some of those good and ranked teams and Muschamp doesn't seem to be able to. I agree about Hunt and Nix. They were terrible. And Spurrier hung on to them way too long.
Hunt, I had completely forgotten about him. He was pretty much a waste of a coaches whistle and Nix was the first in a long line of empty mace containers. Possibly they were joined at the hip or had some dirty pictures of Spurrier pulling the wings off of June Bugs.

we got shelled under Spurrier because of his defensive coaches ineptitude but I thought the Champer is supposed to be the defensive Guru. Someone help me; am I laboring under a misapprehension?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT