ADVERTISEMENT

Sunshine Pumpers Forum

1. I'm not doing that, and I haven't seen anyone else doing that. This is strictly an apples to apples comparison.

2. I can't speak for everyone. But Gamecock fans I know who were skeptical of the hire still came around and were willing to give the guy a fair chance. Three years in, and it's the same ol' same ol'...

3. See point 1.

4. I'll ask again: Why are you so invested in in Muschamp being successful here?

It's not apples to apples. Many posters have stated that Spurrier beat Clemson in season 3, but that Clemson team wasn't a top 3 ranked program for the previous 3 seasons.

How can a 9 win season with wins over NC State, TN, and Michigan be completely ignored? Especially when the team was just two years removed from going 3-9 with a home loss to the Citadel.

Well then perhaps you need to go back and re-read it. I specifically said the comparison was to both coaches' first three seasons.

I haven't given up on Muschamp yet. But it's pretty worrisome that 7 years into his HC career, he still hasn't shown the ability to field a decent offense or build a competitive program. I hope he turns it around. But I'm not terribly optimistic at the moment.

What about the 10 win season at Florida and Sugar Bowl appearance? Doesn't count?

Reactions: rogue cock
It's not apples to apples. Many posters have stated that Spurrier beat Clemson in season 3, but that Clemson team wasn't a top 3 ranked program for the previous 3 seasons.

How can a 9 win season with wins over NC State, TN, and Michigan be completely ignored? Especially when the team was just two years removed from going 3-9 with a home loss to the Citadel.
NC State wasn’t that great. TN sucked. Mich didn’t want to be there. It was the same as when we lost to UConn in Birmingham. UF was down. We didn’t play Bama or Aubie. We lost to UK.

We’ve never looked crisp and sharp under Champ. The only real improvement I’ve seen is at PK. That’s not the definition of championship coaching.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
How can a 9 win season with wins over NC State, TN, and Michigan be completely ignored?.

Ask the posters who are already ready to run off Frank Martin a couple of years removed from a final 4 run. Pretty sure that team was an NIT team at best 2 seasons prior.

Didn't SOS lose two of three to Clemson his first three years? Seems to me Muschamp beating a Michigan that was rated as high as 7th at one point is a bigger deal than beating a 24th ranked Clemson once in three tries.
So if Oklahoma was Clemson and Kansas St was Michigan and we were Texas you still saying that? Hell no. Just dont even try to tell that damn lie. I lived in Oklahoma and knew lots of Texas and Oklahoma fans so dont even try.

I don't have a problem with "sunshine pumpers" or anyone else, in and itself. My issue comes from people that constantly attack and pick fights with people from both sides of the equation.

So if Oklahoma was Clemson and Kansas St was Michigan and we were Texas you still saying that? Hell no. Just dont even try to tell that damn lie. I lived in Oklahoma and knew lots of Texas and Oklahoma fans so dont even try.

Kansas State will never be considered anything like a Michigan. Texas considers its greatest five wins to be over (1) 2005 Southern Cal in Rose Bowl; (2) 1963 Staubach's Navy in Cotton Bowl; (3) 1965's Namath's Alabama in Orange Bowl; (4) 1970 Notre Dame in Cotton Bowl; and (5) Arkansas #1 vs #2 Dec 6, 1969. Despite 113 games with them, no OU game even makes the top five.

Texas vs OU is usually the biggest game on the schedule, simply because both teams historically have been good teams. But ask OU fans and they would much rather lose to Texas than to Oklahoma State in their "bedlam" game. Ask Texas fans and we would have rather have lost to OU than to Texas A&M before they chickened out and ran away to the SEC.

There are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics. As has been pointed out ad nauseam, SOS had us beating good and ranked teams we had never even challenged before in his first year. Muschamp hasn't even sniffed that. In fact, we look worse in Year 3 than Year 2.
In 2005 the team beat 1 top 25 team
In 2006 the team beat 1 top 25 team
In 2007 the team beat two top 25 teams

In 2016 the team beat 1 top 25 team
in 2017 the team beat 1 top 25 team (Michigan in the Bowl )
2018 is still playing out.

in Spurrier's 3rd year the team lost its last 5 games. So really in fact Spurrier's Year 3 was worse than the 1st two years.

This team is much better than Spurrier's third year's team. They just need to play like it.

Reactions: rogue cock
Ask the posters who are already ready to run off Frank Martin a couple of years removed from a final 4 run. Pretty sure that team was an NIT team at best 2 seasons prior.
What has Frank done? He had one year where the team got hot at the perfect time. And surprise, that was the team that had legit stars. He’s recruited no stars since then, and surprise he’s done nothing. He’s been to the Dance once in the sport that easiest to radically change in 1 year. In other words, Frank has produced a top 64 team exactly one time. How much more time does he get? I guess he gets as much as he wants because relatively few really care.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Kansas State will never be considered anything like a Michigan. Texas considers its greatest five wins to be over (1) 2005 Southern Cal in Rose Bowl; (2) 1963 Staubach's Navy in Cotton Bowl; (3) 1965's Namath's Alabama in Orange Bowl; (4) 1970 Notre Dame in Cotton Bowl; and (5) Arkansas #1 vs #2 Dec 6, 1969. Despite 113 games with them, no OU game even makes the top five.

Texas vs OU is usually the biggest game on the schedule, simply because both teams historically have been good teams. But ask OU fans and they would much rather lose to Texas than to Oklahoma State in their "bedlam" game. Ask Texas fans and we would have rather have lost to OU than to Texas A&M before they chickened out and ran away to the SEC.
Lmao....just lmao.

What has Frank done? He had one year where the team got hot at the perfect time. And surprise, that was the team that had legit stars. He’s recruited no stars since then, and surprise he’s done nothing. He’s been to the Dance once in the sport that easiest to radically change in 1 year. In other words, Frank has produced a top 64 team exactly one time. How much more time does he get? I guess he gets as much as he wants because relatively few really care.

From my perspective Martin:
1. Inherited one of the worst dumpster fires in the history of sports from Darrin Horn
2. Took a program with less tradition than any of our big 3 sports (not nationally relevant since McGuire years) and put it on biggest stage.
3. Improved conference wins each of first 5 seasons.
4. Pulled a .500 record overall in an obvious rebuilding season last season.
5. Team got screwed out of NCAA bid in 2015-2016. Should have a 2nd NCAA bid.

South Carolina 14–18 4–14 T–12th
2013–14 South Carolina 14–20 5–13 13th
2014–15 South Carolina 17–16 6–12 T–11th
2015–16 South Carolina 25–9 11–7 T–3rd NIT Second Round
2016–17 South Carolina 26–11 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I Final Four
2017–18 South Carolina 17–16 7–11

That was my reflection as well. I think I attended 8 games that year. I never saw anybody not trying.

I went to every home game back in those days. It's funny, as lacking as we were in talent the first year under Holtz, I walked away telling people we were going to be good the next year. You could feel it. If not mistaken, it was the greatest turn around in NCAA history from 0 wins to 8.

1. Inherited one of the worst dumpster fires in the history of sports from Darrin Horn
2. Took a program with less tradition than any of our big 3 sports (not nationally relevant since McGuire years) and put it on biggest stage.

Stop it Ben.........you're killing them with facts.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

I completely agree with 20% of your premises.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Yeah...A&M “chickened out” and ran to the toughest conference in the nation...LOL...some people refuse to engage their brain before posting...

LOLRollLaugh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT