ADVERTISEMENT

Surprised no one has even mention that LeBron has coronavirus.

Just some food for thought after reading about all LeBron is not. I am already on record as saying that MJ was the better, more skilled basketball player. However, going to do a career comparison to show that the gap between MJ and LeBron is not as wide as you may think

Career Scoring:

Lebron: 3rd
MJ: 5th

Everyone knows LeBron has played longer, and MJ took some breaks, right. However, this is supposed to be MJ’s #1 skill.

Career Assists:

Lebron: 8th
MJ: 47th

A direct indicator that LeBron has the responsibility of scoring while being his teams’ primary ball handler. Jordan had Pippen to do that.

Rebounding:

Lebron: 43rd
MJ: 131st

Lebron has been the leading rebounder on his teams many times. MJ had Oakley, Horace Grant, and Dennis Rodman to do that.

Clutch Shot Percentage (Baskets to tie or take the lead in the final 2 minutes).

This is an Advanced Stat compiled by Stadium.com

MJ: .409
Lebron: .390

This is supposed to be the #1 criticism of Lebron. He passes the big shot up. However, he has taken and made more shots in the last two minutes than MJ and has only a slightly lower percentage.

Finals Appearances:

Lebron: 10
MJ: 6

This is where the LeBron detractors come out of the woodwork. However, all of MJ Finals Appearnces and Wins come under one Hall of Fame Coach. Lebron has taken 5 coaches to the Finals and won one with an Interim Coach who took over mid season. Lebron has never had his Hall of Fame Coach.

Which gets me to the biggest difference between the two. MJ had two Hall of Fame coaches, one in college and one in the NBA, that forced him to look at the game differently and be a star in a team concept. With Lebron coming straight to the NBA to a poor franchise, he has pretty had to figure it out on his own. He is a team player, but he only knows one way to play. Be a ball-dominant isolation player even though he is willing to give the ball up. He has never had a coach strong to get him to think about the game differently. It’s amazing that he has accomplished so much leaning into his own understanding.

Just my two cents, FWIW.
Like we say in the coaching profession: “Statistics are for losers.”

No offense. These numbers are interesting. Thanks for the time you took to look them up. Seriously.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Like we say in the coaching profession: “Statistics are for losers.”

No offense. These numbers are interesting. Thanks for the time you took to look them up. Seriously.
You can’t win without compiling stats. We do keep score. They, also, take all the emotion and hearsay out of it. All of the stats except the Clutch shooting stats are rught there on NBA.Com and Basketball-Reference.com. Sorry that the stats don’t say what you want them to say. Oh, LeBron has 65 more playoff wins than MJ. For a stat-compiling loser, dude has done a lot of winning.

Last edited:
Eastern Conference Finals. 80 and 82. Also, in 83. The Celtics didn't even make it to play the Sixers that year because they lost to the Bucks in the First Round. Many people romaniticize the good times about the 80's Celtics teams. They forget the losses and don't realize that their run was not lot as long as some other teams (80's Lakers, 90 Bulls, 2000s Spurs, Lakers 2000s Shaq and post-Shaq, current Warriors. Celtics were kind of like the 2010s Heat. They were great. A major run for about 4-5 years and then it was over.
Thanks adcoop ... I was focused on finals only ... good point about prior to that ... I rooted for Dr. J every time and was elated (probably more relieved) when he finally won one ...

You can’t win without compiling stats. We do keep score. They, also, take all the emotion and hearsay out of it. All of the stats except the Clutch shooting stats are rught there on NBA.Com and Basketball-Reference.com. Sorry that the stats don’t say what you want them to say. Oh, LeBron has 65 more playoff wins than MJ. For a stat-compiling loser, dude has done a lot of winning.
As one that spent 40 years coaching, I’ve spent most of my life compiling numbers. I hear you. Got to have them. Now, particularly baseball, has it all down to the numbers.

I got nothing against any players. It ain’t totally their fault that guys nowadays stay on Twitter and expect the world to heed their every word on every issue. They could stay out of the world affairs and stick to ball and folks would not be polarized by them. The reason I like MJ is that he was the most exciting player to watch, ever. LeBron’s game excites me no more than any other good player. It is a different era with the rules now that prohibit defense, so the statistics from different eras can’t be compared. The reason LeBron has played in so many playoff games is because more are included. It doesn’t mean the games or players are better. Russell was the greatest champion. CN you imagine a player nowadays being the head coach, too? Different era, can’t happen.

Charles Barkley to today’s players: “Just becausecya’ll make more money than we did don’t mean you are better players, because you are not.”
Pat Riley just some years ago: “The fundamentals in the NBA today are at an all-time low.”
I wish I could accurately quote some of the things the great Hubie brown said.

I enjoy the exchange here among fans.
GO COCKS!

As one that spent 40 years coaching, I’ve spent most of my life compiling numbers. I hear you. Got to have them. Now, particularly baseball, has it all down to the numbers.

I got nothing against any players. It ain’t totally their fault that guys nowadays stay on Twitter and expect the world to heed their every word on every issue. They could stay out of the world affairs and stick to ball and folks would not be polarized by them. The reason I like MJ is that he was the most exciting player to watch, ever. LeBron’s game excites me no more than any other good player. It is a different era with the rules now that prohibit defense, so the statistics from different eras can’t be compared. The reason LeBron has played in so many playoff games is because more are included. It doesn’t mean the games or players are better. Russell was the greatest champion. CN you imagine a player nowadays being the head coach, too? Different era, can’t happen.

Charles Barkley to today’s players: “Just becausecya’ll make more money than we did don’t mean you are better players, because you are not.”
Pat Riley just some years ago: “The fundamentals in the NBA today are at an all-time low.”
I wish I could accurately quote some of the things the great Hubie brown said.

I enjoy the exchange here among fans.
GO COCKS!
Most of Jordan's playoffs runs were in the modern era. He had a few 5 game first round series through 87-88. However, Jordan spent that time getting bounced from the first round of the playoffs. When the Bulls got better. You had to win 4 series, 16 wins just like you have to do now. People just want to look over that Lebron has just had more deep playoff runs than MJ. He never lost in the first round of the playoffs until last year. To his detractors, they are so happy when he loses that it just goes over their head that the man was in the finals eight years in a row. You tout your forty years as a coach. However, my Dad was a coach as well and I played. So, you are not the only one that knows the game. I would challenge anyone on here knowing the NBA game more than me because most of you don't appreciate it because it is not the style you like. I was drawn to the game in the 1976 Suns-Celtics triple OT game and I have followed the changes and evolutions over time. I even know about the older guys before that time. The extra step, or sometimes two in the case of James Harden, don't bother me. This is the big leagues. The game is for entertainment. Nobody is there to watch the referees call traveling. To me hand checking is not defense. Not what I was taught. Not the reason my Dad made us do all kinds of defensive slides all the time. Move your feet and play defense. With regard to the regular season, the NBA has been playing under the same 82 game format since the 66-67 season. So, to me the career stats are the career stats. MJ had the same 82 games as Lebron had. It's not Lebron's fault that MJ left the game and came back or didn't keep up his body to maintain peak performance when he played with the Wizards. My point in saying in all this is to say "Give that man (Lebron) his credit. No, he is not MJ. He is a different player. More of a cross of Karl Malone and Magic Johnson. However, that is a damn good combination. Good enough to at least be 3rd all time in my opinion.

Last edited:
You are correct. The NBA is for entertainment. The college game is following, then it’ll trickle to the high schools. Already is. Same thing is happening in all sports. The rules change so fundamentals are over run by great athletism. That’s what the people want, I guess. People are entertained by the high flying circus, the dunk, the block, the 20 dribbles between the legs even though they ain’t going nowhere with the ball, a shot from 25 feet though low percentage. Fundamentals don’t entertain the general populace - setting a good screen, drawing a charge, a good blockout under the boards, a sharp 2-handed simple pass that leads to a basket, etc. This leaves out many youngsters that aren’t as big or fast. The team aspect goes down the drain to leave space for the “look at me operate and put on a show for you.” For the fan of pure sports, there is little to watch and support. The NBA and NFL is going Hollywood and I want none of that. If I do, I’ll watch a movie if I can find a good one. Unlikely. Sad state of affairs IMHO. But it is the state of the world and it has transferred over to sports. It’s an “all about me world and nobody else matters”type of attitude and it’s not working out too good for humankind.

I’d love to talk with your dad. I enjoy good conversations with other coaches. Good times.

Most of Jordan's playoffs runs were in the modern era. He had a few 5 game first round series through 87-88. However, Jordan spent that time getting bounced from the first round of the playoffs. When the Bulls got better. You had to win 4 series, 16 wins just like you have to do now. People just want to look over that Lebron has just had more deep playoff runs than MJ. He never lost in the first round of the playoffs until last year. To his detractors, they are so happy when he loses that it just goes over their head that the man was in the finals eight years in a row. You tout your forty years as a coach. However, my Dad was a coach as well and I played. So, you are not the only one that knows the game. I would challenge anyone on here knowing the NBA game more than me because most of you don't appreciate it because it is not the style you like. I was drawn to the game in the 1976 Suns-Celtics triple OT game and I have followed the changes and evolutions over time. I even know about the older guys before that time. The extra step, or sometimes two in the case of James Harden, don't bother me. This is the big leagues. The game is for entertainment. Nobody is there to watch the referees call traveling. To me hand checking is not defense. Not what I was taught. Not the reason my Dad made us do all kinds of defensive slides all the time. Move your feet and play defense. With regard to the regular season, the NBA has been playing under the same 82 game format since the 66-67 season. So, to me the career stats are the career stats. MJ had the same 82 games as Lebron had. It's not Lebron's fault that MJ left the game and came back or didn't keep up his body to maintain peak performance when he played with the Wizards. My point in saying in all this is to say "Give that man (Lebron) his credit. No, he is not MJ. He is a different player. More of a cross of Karl Malone and Magic Johnson. However, that is a damn good combination. Good enough to at least be 3rd all time in my opinion.
Unfortunately you're using stats, logic and reasoning. Some here can't get past their personal feelings to acknowledge it. He's without a doubt a consensus top 5 player.

You are correct. The NBA is for entertainment. The college game is following, then it’ll trickle to the high schools. Already is. Same thing is happening in all sports. The rules change so fundamentals are over run by great athletism. That’s what the people want, I guess. People are entertained by the high flying circus, the dunk, the block, the 20 dribbles between the legs even though they ain’t going nowhere with the ball, a shot from 25 feet though low percentage. Fundamentals don’t entertain the general populace - setting a good screen, drawing a charge, a good blockout under the boards, a sharp 2-handed simple pass that leads to a basket, etc. This leaves out many youngsters that aren’t as big or fast. The team aspect goes down the drain to leave space for the “look at me operate and put on a show for you.” For the fan of pure sports, there is little to watch and support. The NBA and NFL is going Hollywood and I want none of that. If I do, I’ll watch a movie if I can find a good one. Unlikely. Sad state of affairs IMHO. But it is the state of the world and it has transferred over to sports. It’s an “all about me world and nobody else matters”type of attitude and it’s not working out too good for humankind.

I’d love to talk with your dad. I enjoy good conversations with other coaches. Good times.
I have heard this same type of crying about fundamentals since I was playing in the 80's. The fundamental guys have a chance to play and win. If they would beat the athletic guys they would be out there. John Stockton was a fundamental guy. There was a place for him because he was good enough. Today, no guy was more fundamental than Klay Thompson. There is a place for him because he is good enough. However, all this crying about athleticism over-running the game is usually by guys who were/are just not good enough.

Well, I don’t agree. Instead, I’ll agree with Pat Riley and Hubie Brown. They should know. For years and years, we’d hear coaches come in to speak at the coaches clinic and complain and complain about having to go to the “awful AAU shoe tournaments.” But it is hard to watch when it is all one-on-one. Not the game I like. To each his own.

This got me thinking of the 5 all time NBA players and just looking at the stats you almost have to go with the top 5 in scoring. Kareem, Malone, LeBron, Kobe and MJ. I have my sentimental favorites, but they're hard to compete with those 5 statistically.

Maybe he should come out with some sort of dumbass comment now. He has an uniformed knee jerk comment on everything else.

This got me thinking of the 5 all time NBA players and just looking at the stats you almost have to go with the top 5 in scoring. Kareem, Malone, LeBron, Kobe and MJ. I have my sentimental favorites, but they're hard to compete with those 5 statistically.
And Elgin Baylor and The Big Dipper.

Unfortunately you're using stats, logic and reasoning. Some here can't get past their personal feelings to acknowledge it. He's without a doubt a consensus top 5 player.
Agree.

I am not NBA expert but I know what my eyes tell me. My favorite teams were back in the 1980s and 1990s. I use to love watching Portland when Drexler was there. He was my favorite player for a long time.

Lebron is a no doubt a top 5 guy to me. I don't care about what people think about his opinions. Big deal. Those are irrelevant. Heck some people would rank a marginal player a lot higher based on if they like the player's personal opinions. Well, the opposite clearly happens too. But I have no issue with a player's opinions, no matter what it happens to be.

I know what I see when I watch him. Right at the top all time.

Not now. He is still up there, but not one of the top 5 playing now, at least according to the “experts” in the talkie shows. And a Laker team with 7 future HOFers, they say, is not good. I watch the highlights but not the games so I don’t know.

One final thing about this Old School Fundamentals vs. The Modern Era argument from an Old School guy that just loves the game and doesn’t cherry-pick based on people or styles of play they like. The NBA has had a different interpretation of the traveling rule dating back to at least the 70’s. People just complain about it when guys they don’t like take advantage of the rules. That famed quick first step of MJ? It was called traveling a lot on the college level. Jordan, also routinely palmed the ball on his cross-over. It was devastating move that gave him an advantage over the defense. Did these fundamental supporters complain when Robert Parish took 3 steps every time he touched the ball or when Kevin McHale changed his pivot foot on his up and under move? Didn’t really hear any complaining. These arguments come up when a guy or a team people didn’t like wins. The major difference in today’s game is the focus on shooting. These players today just shoot the ball so much better than we did. On the flip side of that, low post play has been pretty much taken out of the game and very few bigs are even being taught the fundamentals of low post play. The bigs either set screens or learn to shoot and handle the ball like guards do. My pet peeve of today’s game is a big 7 footer will get a guard switched onto them and the big will drift out to the 3 point line. That being said, there is beauty in both styles of play. I just want to see quality play. So, I just don’t get people that prefer that can watch college basketballl, where the players can’t play as well, but refuse to watch better players on the professional level because they don’t take 20 seconds (Remember the NBA has a 24 second clock) running a motion offense. This from a guy that loves it all. From a good grass-roots game of eighth graders to the pros.

I used to like him but he is a tool. MJ all day, even if he’s a hard a$$. That’s why he has 6 rings, and The Last Dance was great. On my 3rd time now. MJ would’ve taken care of LeBron just like he did Kobe, and anyone else who threatened (or offended him personally) 😂

One final thing about this Old School Fundamentals vs. The Modern Era argument from an Old School guy that just loves the game and doesn’t cherry-pick based on people or styles of play they like. The NBA has had a different interpretation of the traveling rule dating back to at least the 70’s. People just complain about it when guys they don’t like take advantage of the rules. That famed quick first step of MJ? It was called traveling a lot on the college level. Jordan, also routinely palmed the ball on his cross-over. It was devastating move that gave him an advantage over the defense. Did these fundamental supporters complain when Robert Parish took 3 steps every time he touched the ball or when Kevin McHale changed his pivot foot on his up and under move? Didn’t really hear any complaining. These arguments come up when a guy or a team people didn’t like wins. The major difference in today’s game is the focus on shooting. These players today just shoot the ball so much better than we did. On the flip side of that, low post play has been pretty much taken out of the game and very few bigs are even being taught the fundamentals of low post play. The bigs either set screens or learn to shoot and handle the ball like guards do. My pet peeve of today’s game is a big 7 footer will get a guard switched onto them and the big will drift out to the 3 point line. That being said, there is beauty in both styles of play. I just want to see quality play. So, I just don’t get people that prefer that can watch college basketballl, where the players can’t play as well, but refuse to watch better players on the professional level because they don’t take 20 seconds (Remember the NBA has a 24 second clock) running a motion offense. This from a guy that loves it all. From a good grass-roots game of eighth graders to the pros.
Well said, i just find the run and gun style hard to watch, love good half court sets and defense in the college game though!

I used to like him but he is a tool. MJ all day, even if he’s a hard a$$. That’s why he has 6 rings, and The Last Dance was great. On my 3rd time now. MJ would’ve taken care of LeBron just like he did Kobe, and anyone else who threatened (or offended him personally) 😂
We don’t have to make MJ some super-hero that didn’t lose though. It took MJ a long time to beat Isaiah Thomas and Thomas has a winning all-time record against MJ. I think that is a reason why MJ holds a grudge against Thomas to this day and kept Thomas off the Dream Team. We old guys tend to make the stories bigger the older we get. I am afraid the same thing will happen when we pass on. My son’s age group will make LeBron and Steph Curry bugger than life and act like MJ didn’t exist just like many do with Kareem. The guy only had the best basketball life in the history of basketball. 2 losses total in High and College. An MVP and champion in the NBA by Year 2 in the league, 6 NBA titles. The NBA’s All-Time leading scorer. The owner of still the most unstoppable, never duplicated shot in the game (The Sky Hook) Yet people make him an after thought because he didn’t smile for the cameras, practices a religion that makes people uncomfortable, and didn’t have Nike and Gatorade commercials.

Reactions: QC Cock
Nobody on that team wanted to play with Isaiah. Not even his coach.
Maybe true, but if Mike doesn’t make that a condition of him playing, Zeke is on that team. Unfortunate and childish in my opinion. Especially holding a grudge into your 60’s. What was Isaiah and the Pistons supposed to do? Sit there and let MJ dunk on them? Isaiah basically was the big brother that made MJ what he was. The big brother does not shake the hand of the little brother when he wins. You exit stage left and let the little brother take over. That was the rules of how I grew up in basketball. My Dad stopped playing me when I was 14. I won and It almost ended in a fight. My Dad went into the house never to play me again. We don’t go around now not talking to each other over the competitiveness of basketball. Isaiah took the high road after the Last Dance. MJ should let it go now too.

Last edited:
Well, they ask him. He answered. Everybody wants some of the GOAT’s time.
I wish that GOAT had taken more time and investment into making some better draft picks with the Bobcats/Hornets. The only hit he ever had when he was making decisions was Kemba Walker. Thank God he finally relented and had Mitch Kupchak take over President of Basketball operations. As great a player as MJ was, he sure doesn’t evaluate talent well. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist as the 2nd pick in the draft. Adam Morrison as the 3rd pick. Come on Mike.

Lebron is top 3 of all time, behind MJ and Kareem. And once Lebron decides to "hang 'em up", he will be top 2. The abundance of hate towards that man because of his political stances, social justice commentary, and personality is baffling.

There is no hate here. Just questions that remain. You’ve seen the video of his best flops that all the sports shows were showing. The greatest of all time do not flop. He used to be the darling of those shows. You’ve heard what Kareem said. “Why do you need to do a stupid, childish dance? It doesn’t make sense. Goats don’t dance.” And it was a silly, nut-grabbing dance. Maybe top 5 as a player. Still behind Elgin Baylor, Kareem, MJ, Russell, IMO. We all have our opinions.

Well, going back and comparing the games played versus the stats, wilt does exceed what kareem did! But, wilt didn’t have anything close to the competition kareem did!

Are you sure? Wilt was playing in the era of Unseld, Thurmond, Gilmore, Russell, Bellamy, Reed, etc. - true posts with less rules on contact in the post, less rules on defensive positioning so you could get an extra defender in there. And he still scored all those points. Think how many more he would have scored if he could have made some free throws. But, to his advantage, they threw the ball into the post more often than now.

Imagine Kareem and Wilt going against each other in their prime. Wouldn’t that be fun to watch? That sky hook was unblockable. And Wilt backing his man down for the finger roll.

Reactions: caughtlookin
There is no hate here. Just questions that remain. You’ve seen the video of his best flops that all the sports shows were showing. The greatest of all time do not flop. He used to be the darling of those shows. You’ve heard what Kareem said. “Why do you need to do a stupid, childish dance? It doesn’t make sense. Goats don’t dance.” And it was a silly, nut-grabbing dance. Maybe top 5 as a player. Still behind Elgin Baylor, Kareem, MJ, Russell, IMO. We all have our opinions.
I saw Kareem's comments about the dance. I'm indifferent about it. Kobe used to do the same dance a few times. Obviously Baylor and Russell were great too, I just can't put them over Lebron. As for Wilt, he was unquestionably a better athlete(one of the best ever in the NBA) than Kareem, but Kareem was the better and more skilled bball player IMO.

Are you sure? Wilt was playing in the era of Unseld, Thurmond, Gilmore, Russell, Bellamy, Reed, etc. - true posts with less rules on contact in the post, less rules on defensive positioning so you could get an extra defender in there. And he still scored all those points. Think how many more he would have scored if he could have made some free throws. But, to his advantage, they threw the ball into the post more often than now.
Yeah, but there was no one like him other than Russell in the early 60's, Wilt started in 1959-60, Unsel 68-69, Thurmond 63-64, Bellamy 61-62 and Reed 64-65, I guess you could argue the point, but none of those guys had Wilt's height, wingspan and strength.

Interesting fact, Kareem lost two games in his high school and college career, that's crazy!

Interesting fact, Kareem lost two games in his high school and college career, that's crazy!
Wild! In Kareem’s college career, he only shot under 50% twice. Once was in the Game of the Century in the Astrodome in ‘68. cockn’fyr, are you old enough to remember that one? UCLA’s big streak broken by Houston and Elvin Hayes. I’d like to see a replay of that one. But UCLA beat Houston like a dog in the tournament.

All these "people" listing stats, LOL, GOAT is definitely a Preference, if you like a JUST GRAB and go slam it, no walks called, etc etc etc You are loving today's game. If you like the Team aspect and play, you like Magic, Bird and MJ.. So each to his own opinion, I hate it when so-called NO IT ALLS come on here and try to justify different ERAS are better than others. I put LayBrian, behind MJ, Bird, Magic, Kareem and many others. But that is MY OPNION...... So you cant compare the skills sets of Each.. IS LayBrian a more athlectically gifted ATHLETE than say Bird, Yes, IS Bird a better all around player?? YES IMO...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: QC Cock
All these "people" listing stats, LOL, GOAT is definitely a Peference, if you like a JUST GRAB and go slam it, no walks called, etc etc etc You are loving today's game. If you like the Team aspect and play, you like Magic, Bird and MJ.. So each to his own opinion, I hate it when so-called NO IT ALLS come on here and try to justify different ERAS are better than others. I put LayBrian, behind MJ, Bird, Magic, Kareem and many others. But that is MY OPNION...... So you cant compare the skills sets of Each.. IS LayBrian a more athlectically gifted ATHLETE than say Bird, Yes, IS Bird a better all around player?? YES IMO...
They stopped calling traveling on the league MVPs with Jordan, maybe before but I wasn't paying attention. They also get every foul call. If James shot somebody on the way to the basket, the other player would get called for a block. This makes the sport much less of a sport IMO.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT