ADVERTISEMENT

TAMU out of Gator Bowl

I have a bad feeling we may see a couple more teams having to drop out. Miami right now is in a wait and see pattern due to several infections on their team.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Unless 30 or 40 players are affected, every team has "enough" players to field a team. 60 or so, plus walkons.

Not to mention that it's still more than a week away for a lot of bowls. I don't remember the details of the quarantine time, but surely some players will clear by bowl time.

Reactions: chief2791
What about letting them decide whether to play and keep them in a bubble afterwards. That should address the "spreading" concerns. Has any CFB player become seriously ill after being vaccinated? I know there were a couple in the early days and I think a HS player died. So I'm not trying to minimize the concern at all. But if it doesn't cause any serious harm to the vaccinated and you stop the threat of a spread, seems like the games could go on. Players can still continue to opt out if their personal situations make it impossible for them to quarantine. Just a thought.

Reactions: cockofdawn
As a fan of South Carolina and Wake Forest, that would be an interesting matchup. Either way, I'm glad to see TAMU out, Wake doesn't have the defense to win against the Aggies.

Reactions: broken_cock_
Unless 30 or 40 players are affected, every team has "enough" players to field a team. 60 or so, plus walkons.
Completely agree. If you have enough players non-infected, play with whom you have. Meanwhile, Wake Forest has to be elated - unless the game is called altogether. aTm was going to be a tough out for their undersized team.

JImbo Fisher stated (I'm Paraphrasing) TAMU did not have enough "scholarship players". TIFWIW
Not arguing with you or singling out Aggies, but I'd suspect there are 50+ scholarship players, plus dozens of "12th men" available. If nothing else, let the scrubs play as a reward for being cannon fodder in practice all season.

So now there's only one SEC vs ACC bowl game. That's gotta be a first.

JImbo Fisher stated (I'm Paraphrasing) TAMU did not have enough "scholarship players". TIFWIW
My paraphrase "I have a top recruiting class. I don't want to be embarrassed in a bowl game and lose some of them. Not much upside in beating a Wake Forest and big downside by playing and losing to them, so I will blame COVID and Omnicron."

5-7 Illinois wants to go, Rutgers reportedly turned it down, Illinois coach Bret Bielema is ready, I had no clue he was their coach now :)

According to the CFP committee, the two semifinal games will not be rescheduled if one or both teams are unable to play due to COVID-19. If one team cannot play, “the unavailable team shall forfeit the game and its opponent would advance to the national championship game.”

In the event that neither team is able to field a team, the game will be ruled a “no contest” and the winner of the other semifinal matchup will be declared the college football national champion.

For the national championship game, the committee has allowed for the game to be rescheduled, but it cannot be played later than January 14.

Reactions: ForeUSC
You do know that we played Wake in the very first Gator Bowl back in 1946.
I do, from my youth, when I'd devour the yearly media guides from Dad's GC membership.

I even attended the game at W-B in 1986, which was overcast and chilly. Then, I watched Gamecock fans take over Winston-Salem for the rematch at Grove Stadium in 1987. Both games were Gamecock victories.

I don't think Gamecock fans want to face Wake's offense with Sam Hartman this year. However, by the same measure, you don't want to face Sam Howell, either.

I’m good with our team playing in the bowl game that they were given. In regards to A&M being declared ineligible, I hate it for the kids. Especially considering that the current variant of the chinese flu has proven to be nothing more than mild symptoms of the common cold. Before a lot of people get bent out of shape and start posting about vaccines and the like, I’m not concerned about any of that. I’m merely saying that it’s unfortunate for the A&M players that they’re not going to be rewarded for a good season.

As a fan of South Carolina and Wake Forest, that would be an interesting matchup. Either way, I'm glad to see TAMU out, Wake doesn't have the defense to win against the Aggies.
How do you say you're scared without saying you're scared?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT