ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner

The end of my post was just wishful thinking. He does need to chew on Chads ear some though.

The thing that's hurt USC in the past is AD's that wanted to sit on the money or not raise any at all, their vision didn't go past tomorrow much less 25 years from now. Bad AD's set us back decades and you just don't recover from that overnight. The thing about Ray is while he might not be the best AD ever, I know he would always do what's best for USC and would put the school first over his interests. Ray won't set us back 20 years like Dixon and those other idiots did.
I do agree with your last statement.

I don't doubt his devotion. Hell, I don't doubt UpstateGamecock2's devotion, but that doesn't mean he should be AD.

Job's too big these days for a coach to also serve as AD. Way too big.
Thanks. I'll take Ray's salary and let you bash me on a free forum. Oh, wait...

McGee hired sos. Holbrook, I think the jury is still out. Not overwhelmed with success. Champ, this will sink or elevate tanner. Loved him as a coach but the football coaching search was embarrassing.
I think year 3 will be the make or break year.

I've said this before, but Tanner lost control of the hiring process for head football coach. The entire ordeal hurt the reputation of the program. Even if he was clumsy in reality, he needed to control his local and regional media better. No matter what Muschamp does, the way the process unfolded will remain a blight on the department.

He's also extended Martin. So, he's a tied to Martin now as anyone. Forget results on the court, he's a coach Tanner suspended for verbally abusing a player. Head scratching.

He's compentently implementing Hyman's vision for improvements. Which is nice. I can't help but feel his decision on the new apparel deal reveals his limited business acumen and negotiating skills. The deal was just signed and it already looks irrelevant.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
I would have re-signed Frank if it were my call. I like where the program is with him and I see it trending upward. Where Ray is going to earn his stripes is keeping Dawn and this football staff firmly planted in Columbia for years and years. That's what killed Spurrier's success. Even Nick Saban didn't have that kind of staff change to deal with in such a short time. If Ray and Boom can keep this staff look out! This staff is better than the ones under Spurrier in his best years here, I really believe that.

Correct. I made a mistake with my original post. Point still stands that Tanner should not be judged on the end of Spurrier's tenure.
I think that's a fair statement. I also think a sharp AD would have recognized SOS checked out 2 years prior. But, that's just MHO.

Much depends on how Muschamp does. Ray is an amateur at what he's doing. He's more a coach that an administrator. Lots of good groundwork in facilities was laid before he has given the job (which he received because he wanted it and as a reward for services rendered). But if Muschamp succeeds in a big way, Ray will be cemented as a successful AD. Essentially, then, Muschamp is working the next few years to save both his own job and Tanner's as well.

I think that's a fair statement. I also think a sharp AD would have recognized SOS checked out 2 years prior. But, that's just MHO.
You trickster you. Aren't you sharp with your computer skills? Falsifying the quote & all.

Last edited:
For some reason people paint Spurrier as the villain in this. As if he hung on too long. Kicking and screaming, making the transition hard. That's just not so. He tried to retire after before and after the Miami game and Tanner asked him to reconsider both times. As soon as he felt the bottom completely falling out, he resigned, giving the AD ample time to find a replacement. He stuck around during the hiring process, speaking highly of USC in the press and in coaching circles.

People around here talk about him like he was Joe Paterno or Mack Brown, running roughshod over everyone for years in some ego trip while the program crumbled around him.

Yeah the Spurrier situation,while odd the way it ended, it wasn't like Bowden at FSU or JoePa or anything like that. Besides, had Spurrier left after the Miami game who would we have gone after much less gotten? Maybe Kirby Smart and that's a big maybe, even last year.

Put me on ignore. If you don't like my posts don't read them. As for "most every poster here" same applies to them.
200.gif

For some reason people paint Spurrier as the villain in this. As if he hung on too long. Kicking and screaming, making the transition hard. That's just not so. He tried to retire after before and after the Miami game and Tanner asked him to reconsider both times. As soon as he felt the bottom completely falling out, he resigned, giving the AD ample time to find a replacement. He stuck around during the hiring process, speaking highly of USC in the press and in coaching circles.

People around here talk about him like he was Joe Paterno or Mack Brown, running roughshod over everyone for years in some ego trip while the program crumbled around him.

Hyperbole much? Don't be ridiculous.

Hyperbole much? Don't be ridiculous.

Uh, no. People talk about Spurrier the same way fans of those schools talked about them and other older coaches. The game was beyond them and even though they weren't putting in half the effort they used to, their previous excellence demanded reverence that put them beyond contestation. With as much garbage as fans talk about Spurrier, you would have thought he mired the program in years of bad performances and bullied the AD, until he was ultimately forced out.

Don't kid yourself. Firing Spurrier would've been suicide. You don't fire legends. The coaching community makes you pay.
Oh, I understand that firing Spurrier would have been very difficult for Tanner. However, by doing nothing, Ray owns Spurrier's failure. It may not be fair to Ray, but he still owns it because he was in charge.

Don't kid yourself. Firing Spurrier would've been suicide. You don't fire legends. The coaching community makes you pay.
A place like the University of South Carolina does not fire a man like Steve Spurrier unless he is found to be guilty of the worst kind of moral or professional turpitude.

Last edited:
If you fired Spurrier you'd have had a worse outcome in the coaching search than it went. We wouldn't have gotten Muschamp much less the most desperate soul looking for a job. People standing in line at the unemployment office with zero coaching experience wouldn't have even taken the job.

Really? We just went 3-9 for a reason.
The Spurrier era ended the way it should have ended...He chose when to walk away...Once SOS decided he was over, he stepped away to give Tanner more time to openly search...Some fans have issues with the way the search went..I am not one of them...The pursuit of Herman was wise, even though it didn't work...Honestly, i preferred Muschamp to Kirby Smart and said so before the hire...

I have great faith Boom will be highly successful and the Tanner critics will eat crow bigtime...With the recent turnover in the mens basketball program, i am worried about Martin...I love the most recent recruiting class...If we can play really well this season, great things are in the future...There are a lot of great hoops players instate the next few seasons...Coach Martin needs to get his share...Getting Devontae Shuler would be a big deal for Coach Frank

This is completely incorrect. Tanner did not ask Spurrier to reconsider and stay on. This has been debunked many times.

This is completely incorrect. Tanner did not ask Spurrier to reconsider and stay on. This has been debunked many times.

Junior had job feelers out in December 2014... the staff wasn't sure what was going to happen....

I don't know what was said between Tanner and Spurrier, but I'm pretty confident Spurrier talked to him about retiring. Spurrier was talking to a lot of people about retirement in 2014. His name was already popping up around ESPN circles as potential on air talent for the 2015 season.

You have the option of creating a thread on any subject & this is the one you choose? Of course, it's not anything positive. Let's bash the current AD. The only man ever to win not one, but two National Championships in a major sport for our University.

Strange.
Ray Tanner is a Gamecock hero! I love him! He was an incredible baseball coach. In my opinion, he should have never been hired as AD. He has done well with facility improvements but that has more to do with the 100's of millions of dollars he has to work with. I think most anyone with any common sense can meet with planners and trustees and iron out facility upgrades.
I like Frank Martin and support him but if he doesn't make the NCAA tournament this year, it is going to prove to be a questionable hire on Tanner's part. Same thing with Holbrook and the CWS. Muschamp will go a long way in determining Tanner's job at hiring solid coaches.

Ray Tanner is a Gamecock hero! I love him! He was an incredible baseball coach. In my opinion, he should have never been hired as AD. He has done well with facility improvements but that has more to do with the 100's of millions of dollars he has to work with. I think most anyone with any common sense can meet with planners and trustees and iron out facility upgrades.
I like Frank Martin and support him but if he doesn't make the NCAA tournament this year, it is going to prove to be a questionable hire on Tanner's part. Same thing with Holbrook and the CWS. Muschamp will go a long way in determining Tanner's job at hiring solid coaches.
You can't hold Frank to the standard of getting to the tournament and then give Chad a free pass when it comes to the CWS. Frank didn't have an established program to work with when he took over, Chad did. I agree with holding coaches accountable to performance standards but we need to hold them all to that standard not just one.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Tanner didn't hire Frank.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT