ADVERTISEMENT

Tea Cooper gone

We don't have 8 McD AA's coming in. Now we have a roster depth issue. Coach Staley definitely needs to look for the inffluent end of the transfer portal as opposed to the effluent, especially size and rebounding. The guard depth is still OK, but a lot less experienced now. Cooper and Herbert-Harrigan now makes USC losing their top 3 scorers, with Jennings graduating....
We're also losing 165 turnovers.

Can we still say "white on rice?"
giphy.gif

:D

4 players dang no way to spin this. This is bad.

How is it bad to lose 2 players who haven’t performed well (Jackson & Williams)? We know have 2 scholarships to offer transfers in the portal. This is Cooper’a second transfer. She had been a good player for us this year, but inconsistent. The only player I wish would stay is Kiki. Her talent has been developed by Staley and it showed this year. But Staley is a disciplinarian. She missed more than one class along with Cuevas and was held out of games for good reason. I think she is the only one making a big mistake- but, Staley’s motto is the “team is bigger than one individual”. The attitude and vision of the team most be ONE.

You consider a Sweet Sixteen team as non-competitive?
Exactly, a sweet 16 team appearance and 2nd in the SEC. Also our 9 our 10 losses came to top 25 teams and I believe 6 of those were against top 10 teams. With all things considered this was pretty good year.

How is it bad to lose 2 players who haven’t performed well (Jackson & Williams)? We know have 2 scholarships to offer transfers in the portal. This is Cooper’a second transfer. She had been a good player for us this year, but inconsistent. The only player I wish would stay is Kiki. Her talent has been developed by Staley and it showed this year. But Staley is a disciplinarian. She missed more than one class along with Cuevas and was held out of games for good reason. I think she is the only one making a big mistake- but, Staley’s motto is the “team is bigger than one individual”. The attitude and vision of the team most be ONE.
For the most part I agree, but this still looks bad from an optics standpoint. This hurts our immediate depth for the upcoming season and more importantly it can discourage future recruiting with this seemingly max exodus of players.

Reactions: king ward
Did any of them say where they are transferring? Sounds like they just want to get out of here.
It's early so they are likely looking at their options. They could always come back as well. For example Bianca Jackson could theoretically be tempted to come back knowing that she doesn't have to compete for minutes with Cooper.

If it was Frank losing players we'd be on him like white on rice.

Because Frank loses players and replaces them with bad grad transfers or low-level project players.

Dawn is bringing in 4 of the top 13 players in the country. With this one recruiting class, Dawn is bringing in more talent than Frank has brought in his tenure combined. Frank can't recruit for crap and that makes his horrible player retention all the more glaring.

Reactions: danh011 and 92Pony
Nah, I wouldn't say that. Not all freshman come in and dominate from day one. And even if they all did, Dawn would always play her a lot and look to her for leadership
Exactly. This whole notion that we are losing players because of talented, incoming freshman is ridiculous. Do experienced UConn players leave because they're scared of freshman? Baylor? Notre Dame? No.

Reactions: king ward
Exactly. This whole notion that we are losing players because of talented, incoming freshman is ridiculous. Do experienced UConn players leave because they're scared of freshman? Baylor? Notre Dame? No.
That point of view is ludicrous, isn't it? This is player/coach disconnection.

I truly think there are two separate reasons for these transfers after following these girls and this team closely for several years now and knowing some people close to the program.
1 - Williams and Jackson is due to playing time and in Williams case, development that has not occurred.
2 - Kiki and Cooper is all about attitude. Talent is there clearly but attitude and desire to put in work is not there. Kiki was getting alot better but could have been even better with more effort and focus and desire. Cooper was treated like the queen of basketball before getting to college and that changed when she got to Tenn and realized she was no longer Gods gift to the game. This led to a locker room fight with a teammate and then dismissal. At Carolina she thought it would all come back to way it was when treated so highly. However Dawn wants all her girls to stay humble and work hard. Nothing will be handed to them. Cooper didnt like that and this led to her having numerous games of disappearing. Was more of a result of pouting on the sidelines that kept her from getting in. When she was in, many times she was not a team player and tried to be a one man show. it was easy to be leading scorer when taking twice as many shots as others. At times she could control a game herself but other games she cost the team by taking 7-8 to even 10 shots in a row and missing them all but maybe one.
I hate losing girls that COULD have taken us to big things next year, however, Dawn was not fighting to keep some on the team that didnt want to work. Especially with what was coming in, she wanted "Leaders" for those girls and Cooper and Kiki could have led to bad habits developing in the impressionable young players. Dawn will bring in some good transfers.

Reactions: 92Pony
We'll be just fine! The program is on great solid ground! Al the winning was not coincidental! Next season's team will be more talented than the past one. We lost two players. Neither was a great team player! We don't need questionable attitudes and rules violators poisoning one of the best recruiting classes in the history of WBB. This seems worse than it is. The more I look into it. The more I see the wisdom in it! Today's narrative is not positive! By the end of May the narrative will do a 180!

We'll be just fine! The program is on great solid ground! Al the winning was not coincidental! Next season's team will be more talented than the past one. We lost two players. Neither was a great team player! We don't need questionable attitudes and rules violators poisoning one of the best recruiting classes in the history of WBB. This seems worse than it is. The more I look into it. The more I see the wisdom in it! Today's narrative is not positive! By the end of May the narrative will do a 180!
Whatever the pieces turn out to be, you won't know how they fit together at the end of May, either.

Whatever the pieces turn out to be, you won't know how they fit together at the end of May, either.
I don't have to know ! That's why you play the games. All I need to know is the talent and depth is there! Coach Staley has proven over and over she can mold talent into great teams!

Reactions: 92Pony
Because Frank loses players and replaces them with bad grad transfers or low-level project players.

Dawn is bringing in 4 of the top 13 players in the country. With this one recruiting class, Dawn is bringing in more talent than Frank has brought in his tenure combined. Frank can't recruit for crap and that makes his horrible player retention all the more glaring.
So ? We give Dawn a pass when her players bolt and give Frank hell ? Players transfer either because they are unhappy or want more PT but the bottom line is they are leaving.

Actually your comparison to UConn is off base. With these changes we are now in line with UConn's roster. UConn only carries a roster of 10 players. Only 2 of those are Seniors. Geno generally only plays 7 players during the course of a game. With the changes taking place we will now have 10 players on our roster for next year and Ty Harris will be the only Senior. When you carry so many players on your roster, half do not get much playing time and this can cause discontent and trouble in the locker room. If you are arguing with Dawn you are also arguing with Geno, two of the most successful women's coaches in the game.

So ? We give Dawn a pass when her players bolt and give Frank hell ? Players transfer either because they are unhappy or want more PT but the bottom line is they are leaving.

I absolutely, positively guarantee you fans would not gripe about Frank having players transfer if: 1) He was making the tournament every single season for 8 straight years with a national title and 2) He was replacing departing players with four 5* players.

Context matters. A lot. A lot a lot.

On top of all that, what makes this notable for Dawn is how unusual it is. Frank's rate of attrition the past few years has been horrendous. Again, context.

I absolutely, positively guarantee you fans would not gripe about Frank having players transfer if: 1) He was making the tournament every single season for 8 straight years with a national title and 2) He was replacing departing players with four 5* players.

Context matters. A lot. A lot a lot.

On top of all that, what makes this notable for Dawn is how unusual it is. Frank's rate of attrition the past few years has been horrendous. Again, context.
Actually it is not unusual for Dawn to have players transfer out of her program. I saw a stat the other day that said in her time here, Dawn has had one of the highest transfer rates of players. It is just not noticed because it is either only one player a year or players that never played. This year would have been no different if not for it being 4 players and 2 of them returning starters. If you remember, Dawn had Kelsey Bone from Texas as her first big time recruit decide to transfer after her first year because of homesickness and too much demand of her on the court. Also had the highly ranked girl from Dreher, Duckett was her name, a few years ago who transferred because she would not play. It has happened several other times but just not as noticable until this year.

Actually it is not unusual for Dawn to have players transfer out of her program. I saw a stat the other day that said in her time here, Dawn has had one of the highest transfer rates of players. It is just not noticed because it is either only one player a year or players that never played. This year would have been no different if not for it being 4 players and 2 of them returning starters. If you remember, Dawn had Kelsey Bone from Texas as her first big time recruit decide to transfer after her first year because of homesickness and too much demand of her on the court. Also had the highly ranked girl from Dreher, Duckett was her name, a few years ago who transferred because she would not play. It has happened several other times but just not as noticable until this year.

Sure, and again, context matters. 8 straight tourney appearances, 1 national title, four incoming 5* recruits from the top 13 players in the country. Dawn has consistently produced a top-flight product on the court. Frank hasn't.

And, let's be honest, as good as our women are, women's basketball just isn't as high profile.

You might want to look at the records! Frank is not in Dawn's zip code! He doesn't get a pass! He is subject to more scrutiny! Coach Staley is not above criticism! All coaches are accountable for their recruiting! When players transfer out because they are not earning enough playing time, that's an evaluation issue! But when you have one of the most talented classes in history coming in, you get more understanding!

When players leave because of discipline issues, coaches get more leniency? Again Frank has had far more of them than Dawn!

Probably some of both.
https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/wbb-what-s-going-on- I think this article explains it all. We may get a grad transfer for insurance purposes and then a regular transfer that will sit out to avoid unbalanced classes, but this clears a major headache that everyone was trying to figure how Dawn would have to maneuver as you set up next season. After watching the McDonalds Game, the girls we have coming in are a different breed for being game ready than any that have come in before with the exception of A'ja in relations to skill, strength and athletic ability. This has been stated by the foremost national analyst. They said these are not the type that you sit for a year. They are more in the Tiffany Mitchell mode, who started as a freshman from day 1. all of these will not start but they will earn significant minutes.

Reactions: shiverz
You might want to look at the records! Frank is not in Dawn's zip code! He doesn't get a pass! He is subject to more scrutiny! Coach Staley is not above criticism! All coaches are accountable for their recruiting! When players transfer out because they are not earning enough playing time, that's an evaluation issue! But when you have one of the most talented classes in history coming in, you get more understanding!

When players leave because of discipline issues, coaches get more leniency? Again Frank has had far more of them than Dawn!

It also matters when you've made it to the tournament 8 years in a row and won a natty.

There are no apples-to-apples comparisons between Dawn's and Frank's programs.

Reactions: lawcalcock
This one was. Every premier team we played this year shelled us. We were completely uncompetitive on those occasions when we went up against teams that got nearer the top of the mountain than we.

Both Mississippi State games were competitive. UConn game was competitive except for one quarter. Baylor and Maryland was the only two games we were beaten soundly.

All coaches are accountable for their recruiting is correct but still what does it matter if a recruit, or a good team contributor leaves, when the facts are they leave. I haven't read anywhere where any ladies are leaving because of disciplinary reasons they are just leaving. And why even compare men's basketball issues to women's basketball issues when they are two different animals? I don't need to compare records I know the records my point is when Frank has a transfer it's because of Frank and how he coaches. When Dawn has mass exodus it's evaluation when it was she that recruited that girl. Frank has beaten Duke and played the final four etc. but Dawn can't beat UConn so why is Frank subject to more scrutiny than Dawn they both make a ton of $$ to coach basketball. I'm just making my point law and I certainly respect yours.

Reactions: roosterbell
https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/wbb-what-s-going-on- I think this article explains it all. We may get a grad transfer for insurance purposes and then a regular transfer that will sit out to avoid unbalanced classes, but this clears a major headache that everyone was trying to figure how Dawn would have to maneuver as you set up next season. After watching the McDonalds Game, the girls we have coming in are a different breed for being game ready than any that have come in before with the exception of A'ja in relations to skill, strength and athletic ability. This has been stated by the foremost national analyst. They said these are not the type that you sit for a year. They are more in the Tiffany Mitchell mode, who started as a freshman from day 1. all of these will not start but they will earn significant minutes.

I would love to get Stephanie Watts(NC) as a grad transfer if she is healthy. Would be a idea wing to go along with Beal.

Reactions: lawcalcock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT