ADVERTISEMENT

Technical Foul on Gregory one of the worst calls

_NOVA_

Oct 12, 2009
I've ever seen. Won't matter to the outcome of this game, but that was horrendous and Martin's response to immediately pull Gregory makes it even more frustrating.

When an infraction occurs and the ball changes hands, the offending team is required to immediately drop the ball. They've allowed passing the ball to the officials as well. But, teams are coached to waste time during these situations to allow the defense an opportunity to setup or for coaches to rush substitutions to the table. Oftentimes this means players will intentionally pass the ball to the non-in-bounding official, roll the ball on the ground, and hold the ball for longer than they should. What became popular in the NBA for many years was taking shots after the whistle had blown. This is the ultimate time wasting tactic and exactly what the UK player was doing.

What Gregory did was keep the UK player from intentionally wasting time by taking a shot after the whistle. As officials become more and more lazy, the onus on making sure the ball makes it to the official and is deemed ready for play often falls to the players on the court. With South Carolina players making a run out, Gregory did exactly what he should be doing. Secure the ball from the offending player and make it ready for play.

The officials should have issued a delay of game warning to Kentucky or called a technical foul on the UK player. Just incredibly lazy and naive officiating.

Reactions: nikolas22
Just another classless uk gesture. At some point someone has to just say F you. In my opinion, we need to make a bigger statement than tipping the ball. I mean if you are going to get T'd up, make it worth it.

If you think you have the right to shoot the ball after a whistle, then why not have the right to block the shot. Start throwing a T on the kid who shoots after the whistle, just to be taking a shot.

Reactions: nikolas22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT