ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee Hires Harper...

Thought from the beginning that it would be either Harper or Cori Close from UCLA. UT was in an odd place, HW was a cheap hire. Going into the search they were never going to get Walz, Frese or any other elite coach. It appears now They were constrained to hire within the UT family. Harper is the best of that group but still has her blemishes, NC State. Solid hire but by no means a can’t miss.

Tennessee is stuck in Pat Summit's realm trying to reclaim her past glory, and its killing them.

Harper: she's from Tenn, she knows Pat, she played for Pat etc etc.

Maybe it works out for them this time.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Tennessee is stuck in Pat Summit's realm trying to reclaim her past glory, and its killing them.

Harper: she's from Tenn, she knows Pat, she played for Pat etc etc.

Maybe it works out for them this time.

Yep. And she's a woman. I predicted UT would hire a female coach from the Pat Summit coaching tree.

If Harper bombs, THEN the AD will be free to hire the best available.

Just saw this online: https://www.thedailytimes.com/sport...cle_ff561042-30b3-5d2e-bda5-6633dd016841.html

Its for the best. Kid never looked happy there. Maybe Law can work her magic.

I'm happy that a woman was hired. They're aren't enough female coaches, coaching female players anyway. But, I would've reached out to Felisha Legette-Jack out of Buffalo for the job.
I dont want her here. Seems like a hard player to deal with and that wont work with Dawn. Besides, we have the top 2 point guards of last 2 classes coming in. I think we would need post help before getting another point guard.

Fulmer hired on the cheap to get the search out of the way! His theory is reviving the football program and retaining Rick Barnes will allow Vol fans to forget WBB and the Pat Summit legacy!

I dont want her here. Seems like a hard player to deal with and that wont work with Dawn. Besides, we have the top 2 point guards of last 2 classes coming in. I think we would need post help before getting another point guard.

You might be right. But, she's originally a guard not PG. They should still talk to her.

Fulmer hired on the cheap to get the search out of the way! His theory is reviving the football program and retaining Rick Barnes will allow Vol fans to forget WBB and the Pat Summit legacy!

That is definitely where his thoughts are. I think he only got rid of Warlick because of fan pressure.

Last edited:

And that is a good plan. Fulmer is well aware of what brings in the cash.

•Westbrook is not a point guard but was forced to play the position because Anastasia Hayes,the only pg on the roster, was kicked off the team last August. Playing out of position she averaged 15 ppg and 5 assists
• She is a 2/3 position player who was the #2 national player the year she graduated
• Dawn recruited her with great intensity and we were in her final two. Evina was scheduled for her official visit the weekend of the great flood. WE cancelled the visit out of safety concerns and tried to reschedule. This did not happen as she had already set her date to commit as the next week.
• She is not difficult to deal with in fact she willingly sacrificed for the team. She should not have made her comments after their last game, However HW allowed reporters in the locker room after the loss. Something Dawn NEVER ALLOWS. She was repeatedly trolled and baited and fell for it.
If she wants to come here I say Hell Yes!

•Westbrook is not a point guard but was forced to play the position because Anastasia Hayes,the only pg on the roster, was kicked off the team last August. Playing out of position she averaged 15 ppg and 5 assists
• She is a 2/3 position player who was the #2 national player the year she graduated
• Dawn recruited her with great intensity and we were in her final two. Evina was scheduled for her official visit the weekend of the great flood. WE cancelled the visit out of safety concerns and tried to reschedule. This did not happen as she had already set her date to commit as the next week.
• She is not difficult to deal with in fact she willingly sacrificed for the team. She should not have made her comments after their last game, However HW allowed reporters in the locker room after the loss. Something Dawn NEVER ALLOWS. She was repeatedly trolled and baited and fell for it.

You got that exactly right! I would love to have her here. I suspect she heads home to Oregon! Westbrook was AAU teammate of Ionescu.

You got that exactly right! I would love to have her here. I suspect she heads home to Oregon! Westbrook was AAU teammate of Ionescu.

Yeah, I see her going home as well. But, we should still talk to her. She might love playing in the SEC after 2 yrs.

She should not have made her comments after their last game, However HW allowed reporters in the locker room after the loss. Something Dawn NEVER ALLOWS. She was repeatedly trolled and baited and fell for it.

She was baited, but I think her comments were out of frustration. She was the #2 player out of high school and it seems like everything is slipping away.

I agree with not wishing Westbrook comes to USC. We already have Henderson and Cooke set up for our guard tandem for the next 3 years , with Harris and Cooper graduating next season. Westbrook may have to sit out a year - not if she transferred to Notre Dame, mind you, but to us, most definitely - but it still would be a personality issue with who should get starter's minutes.

With Jackson departing, it kinda messes up my projections for the team positions and minutes. Jackson was as much a 3 as a 2 at 5-11: that made her a Wing. She could provide minutes at the 2 to spell Cooke, and play minutes at the 3 along with Beal, as well as with Grissett, Saxton, and Wesolek who are all more towards the 4 side of the Wing responsibilities as 6-1 players than the 2 side. I guess Thompson can also play some 3 in a guard-heavy lineup and provide her perimeter shooting, but she'd be a bit over-matched defensively against the 6-0 and taller opponents.

But we'll still be strong for this coming season at the guard positions, with Harris, Cooper, Henderson, Cooke, and Thompson. We just need to recruit that much harder for the 2020 class to get some more guards into the program.

As to grad transfers, we could really use a strong defensive, rebounding post around 6-3, 6-4, or two, to help out Boston who now seems all alone. That would be the most immediate priority to me....

And as to UTjr. hiring Harper, I think it's a solid hire for them, not counting any proven top-name head coach, which they weren't going to get anyways. The recruiting issue was never an issue for them: they needed a COACH, and Harper sounds like she knows how to coach a little bit. She's also former Lady Vol, so the kids who still want to play for UTjr. because of it being UTjr. will listen to her. But the program will still reel for a season or two, I believe.....

I agree with not wishing Westbrook comes to USC. We already have Henderson and Cooke set up for our guard tandem for the next 3 years , with Harris and Cooper graduating next season. Westbrook may have to sit out a year - not if she transferred to Notre Dame, mind you, but to us, most definitely - but it still would be a personality issue with who should get starter's minutes.

With Jackson departing, it kinda messes up my projections for the team positions and minutes. Jackson was as much a 3 as a 2 at 5-11: that made her a Wing. She could provide minutes at the 2 to spell Cooke, and play minutes at the 3 along with Beal, as well as with Grissett, Saxton, and Wesolek who are all more towards the 4 side of the Wing responsibilities as 6-1 players than the 2 side. I guess Thompson can also play some 3 in a guard-heavy lineup and provide her perimeter shooting, but she'd be a bit over-matched defensively against the 6-0 and taller opponents.

But we'll still be strong for this coming season at the guard positions, with Harris, Cooper, Henderson, Cooke, and Thompson. We just need to recruit that much harder for the 2020 class to get some more guards into the program.

As to grad transfers, we could really use a strong defensive, rebounding post around 6-3, 6-4, or two, to help out Boston who now seems all alone. That would be the most immediate priority to me....

And as to UTjr. hiring Harper, I think it's a solid hire for them, not counting any proven top-name head coach, which they weren't going to get anyways. The recruiting issue was never an issue for them: they needed a COACH, and Harper sounds like she knows how to coach a little bit. She's also former Lady Vol, so the kids who still want to play for UTjr. because of it being UTjr. will listen to her. But the program will still reel for a season or two, I believe.....
Westbrook is 6’2” and played pg this year because she was the only option on the roster. She can defend 1-4, and on O handle the ball, post smaller players, drive, and has a 15 footer. She excelled under a poor coach who asked her to sacrifice and play out of position. I say come on down. Bianca Jackson is a wonderful person and good player. Westbrook is an all American who is better in every aspect of the game than Jackson with more versatility

Reactions: lawcalcock
And that is a good plan. Fulmer is well aware of what brings in the cash.
Not so sure about that. Tennessee has become Kentucky. Only SEC universities that pay men's basketball coaches more than the football coach.

Barnes has taken Fulmer to the woodshed and forced him to do something he probably did not want to do.

Heard a reporter on Finebaum say Barnes has been rubbed wrong by Fulmer. He won the Naismith award for coach of the year and Fulmer was missing from the ceremony because he was at Spring football practice.

Westbrook is 6’2” and played pg this year because she was the only option on the roster. She can defend 1-4, and on O handle the ball, post smaller players, drive, and has a 15 footer. She excelled under a poor coach who asked her to sacrifice and play out of position. I say come on down. Bianca Jackson is a wonderful person and good player. Westbrook is an all American who is better in every aspect of the game than Jackson with more versatility

Westbrook is 6-0 on her best days. She is a G - a guard. She did have to play PG which was a bit out of her preferred position, but she is a 2-3 Wing type player all day, with the ability to play spot 1, but she prefers to be the one that drives and scores the basket, not be the one who distributes the ball to others to do the same, and only shoot when all other options have been spent.

She was a pretty decent 3-pt. shooter this past season. She would definitely help fill the void left open by Jackson transferring out, but we have Beal already there, plus a good number of other 6-0/6-1 players....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT