ADVERTISEMENT

Texans release J.J. Watt

adcoop

Jan 10, 2004
by mutual agreement between owner and Watt. This could get ugly between the Texans and Deshaun Watson if they try to hold on to him. I think they have to start over and trade Watson now.

Obviously every employee's situation is different - but this is going to be a bad look holding one superstar to a different standard than the other.

I'm not surprised. It seems like he has fallen off and is injury prone, and I don't think releasing him has much, if any, of a dead cap hit.

Several questions come to mind and I am not taking sides. What was Watts salary cap hit next year? Would his release free up money so that they could get some much needed help via draft or free agency. When was Watts contract up? I think Watson just signed a new one. If they traded him, would they still take a cap hit? Could this just be a simple business decision? Was it because Watt hasn't been as active vocally as Watson? I think there are some behind the story questions and answers. It's a head scratcher as to why you would release one of the better pass rushers in the game. Of course, they let Clowney go too. They let Hopkins go. They don't seem to be particularly adept at running a business

by mutual agreement between owner and Watt. This could get ugly between the Texans and Deshaun Watson if they try to hold on to him. I think they have to start over and trade Watson now.
Watts would look good in an orange and brown uniform next year.

I'm not surprised. It seems like he has fallen off and is injury prone, and I don't think releasing him has much, if any, of a dead cap hit.
Someone will offer him a year or two contract but they aren’t gonna pay the moon for him. He’s gonna have to decide if he wants to go to a playoff team for much less money than he’s used to or not. If he wants a shot at a super bowl he’s gonna have to forget about the money.

Cal McNair.

You talk about the black hole abyss of stupidity.

He’s the laughingstock of H-Town.

I’m shocked his family doesn’t try and help him.

At this point, I’m starting to believe him and LittleFinger Easterby are lovers. Which is fine, but pay him a million/yr to do the pool. Not screwup an entire organization and become a national joke.

You know. Now that I think about it. We need to get Magoo on a flight down here to Houston.

Talk to Cal and Jacko about starting a church.

It would stop the downward spiral of the Texans. It would enable Easterby to worship, teach, praise and bring in the flock in a place where that belongs. And, it would allow Carolina and Beamer to have their answer to NewSpring.

Everyone wins. Talk about Divine Intervention.

While I agree that the Texans are a dumpster fire, I don’t agree with the people saying this is a double standard. Watt has been there a long time, has done a lot for the city of Houston, and is older and nearing the tail end of his career, especially with how injury prone he is. Watson is a lot younger and is considered by most to be a top 5 QB, especially with Brees on the way out. They gave Watson what he wanted...a huge contract. Then he’s been a baby ever since when they couldn’t afford to keep his favorite weapon around. Watson is not in the position, or have the same accomplishments, to expect every single wish and whim of his be catered to. Like I said, Houston is a mess, but at the same time Watson is proving himself to be a cancer.

While I agree that the Texans are a dumpster fire, I don’t agree with the people saying this is a double standard. Watt has been there a long time, has done a lot for the city of Houston, and is older and nearing the tail end of his career, especially with how injury prone he is. Watson is a lot younger and is considered by most to be a top 5 QB, especially with Brees on the way out. They gave Watson what he wanted...a huge contract. Then he’s been a baby ever since when they couldn’t afford to keep his favorite weapon around. Watson is not in the position, or have the same accomplishments, to expect every single wish and whim of his be catered to. Like I said, Houston is a mess, but at the same time Watson is proving himself to be a cancer.
Tail wags dog

Most don’t look at it like that. As long as owners have the use of the franchise tag I think players should be able to request trades when their teams are dumpster fires. You can’t equate what they do to a regular job. It’s not the same. I think Watson will refuse to play and if I were him it’s the exact move I would make. He has all the power.

Several questions come to mind and I am not taking sides. What was Watts salary cap hit next year? Would his release free up money so that they could get some much needed help via draft or free agency. When was Watts contract up? I think Watson just signed a new one. If they traded him, would they still take a cap hit? Could this just be a simple business decision? Was it because Watt hasn't been as active vocally as Watson? I think there are some behind the story questions and answers. It's a head scratcher as to why you would release one of the better pass rushers in the game. Of course, they let Clowney go too. They let Hopkins go. They don't seem to be particularly adept at running a business
17 million.

Reactions: redrogers
Most don’t look at it like that. As long as owners have the use of the franchise tag I think players should be able to request trades when their teams are dumpster fires. You can’t equate what they do to a regular job. It’s not the same. I think Watson will refuse to play and if I were him it’s the exact move I would make. He has all the power.
If he doesn't play, the Texans will still own his rights and will for a long long time. Can he survive not playing for the length of his contract?

If he doesn't play, the Texans will still own his rights and will for a long long time. Can he survive not playing for the length of his contract?
If he refuses to play they will have no choice but to trade him. He would be almost $25 million in dead cap money in 2021 and 35 mil in 2022, for a team that is already $25 mil over the salary cap.

trading him would only take an additional 5.4 million in cap money for 2021 while alleviating a ton of cap space in 2022

He’s spoken out against the owners lately. Time for him to leave. No team needs inside distractions. Best for both.

That would free up money to go get more talent......

Yes but Tom Brady is on the other line....
He said he will hold

This is my thought.

Tampa is likely to lose Barrett. He’s not gotten the big contract and someone will offer him more than the Bucs can.

JJ could step right in. If he really wants to win, then it makes great sense. Hard to turn down the Champs and the GOAT.

Packers too. But, not sure of their cap situation. He’s from Whisky. But, that doesn’t mean he’d love it more than sunny FL.

Bros in Pitt. They have a chance at the playoffs but that’s their ceiling. Even with a healthy JJ.

Reactions: caughtlookin
This is my thought.

Tampa is likely to lose Barrett. He’s not gotten the big contract and someone will offer him more than the Bucs can.

JJ could step right in. If he really wants to win, then it makes great sense. Hard to turn down the Champs and the GOAT.

Packers too. But, not sure of their cap situation. He’s from Whisky. But, that doesn’t mean he’d love it more than sunny FL.

Bros in Pitt. They have a chance at the playoffs but that’s their ceiling. Even with a healthy JJ.

Barrett will resign in Tampa . Doubt they are gonna let an elite pass rusher in his prime walk . Tom will take a pay cut like he always does and they will resign him . I think JJ winds up in Green Bay on a hometown discount .

It is going to be difficult to trade Watson. His new contract takes effect this year with a $38 million cap hit. If they trade him, there will be ca hits for the next four years due to the money paid at the signing. The Texans are in cap hell because of the extensions done while Bill O’Brien was GM. With the players that will be let go for cap reasons, trading Watson creates so much dead cap money that it will take two to three years before they would be able to compete within their division which is one of if not the worst in the NFL.

It is going to be difficult to trade Watson. His new contract takes effect this year with a $38 million cap hit. If they trade him, there will be ca hits for the next four years due to the money paid at the signing. The Texans are in cap hell because of the extensions done while Bill O’Brien was GM. With the players that will be let go for cap reasons, trading Watson creates so much dead cap money that it will take two to three years before they would be able to compete within their division which is one of if not the worst in the NFL.
If he refuses to play they have the same problem. At that point they will have no choice but to traded him.

Cal McNair.

At this point, I’m starting to believe him and LittleFinger Easterby are lovers. Which is fine, but pay him a million/yr to do the pool. Not screwup an entire organization and become a national joke.

Cal McNair.

Jack Easterby apparently did a very good job with the Patriots according to everything I've read. He is actually a great guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT