ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M

DaTater

Jan 30, 2018
I come in peace fellas. Have any of you guys made the trip out there. Planning on going when the Tigers play out there. Looking at driving. Where would be a good spot to lay over on Friday? Dont want a long drive in Saturday, but want to get a head start coming back after the game. Shreveport doesnt look too bad. Anything else I need to hit up while I'm out there?

I come in peace fellas. Have any of you guys made the trip out there. Planning on going when the Tigers play out there. Looking at driving. Where would be a good spot to lay over on Friday? Dont want a long drive in Saturday, but want to get a head start coming back after the game. Shreveport doesnt look too bad. Anything else I need to hit up while I'm out there?

Shreveport is okay for gambling, but not much else.

In College Station, Tx, during the day you might hit up George Bush Sr's Presidential museum.

Can't help you at all with this (never driven to Texas, although it looks like all interstate highway driving), but I did give your post a like since you came in peace and there's no smack talk.

You'll probably find more to do in Atlanta than Shreveport. Or if you take the southern route, i.e., I-10, I'm sure you can find something to do in New Orleans.;)

Last edited:
I haven't but I've heard nothing but good things.

Supposedly you are supposed to;

Fly to Houston
Eat some brisket
Drive to College Station and tailgate
Watch game
Go back to Houston

That is a LONG drive. Fly to Houston and rent a car! Houston is easy to get to.
And two airports, flights can get cheap if purchased at the right time.

There's a massively cheap flight that Southwest does from Raleigh to Houston.

You might be able to get a similar flight for Greenville/Houston for Southwest.

Friend of mine made the trip this year for our game. He left on Thursday. It's a LONG drive.

Fly to Houston
Eat some brisket
Watch game
Go back to Houston

You forgot. Eat some more brisket before you leave

Reactions: DaTater
If you’re planning to drive alone I would fly. If you’re going with friends there’s nothing better than a road trip with your buds.

Fly to Houston
Eat some brisket
Watch game
Go back to Houston

I hope you don't mean eat brisket in Houston. Southwest flies into Austin. You can eat BBQ here (Franklin's or LA BBQ) and drive about the same distance to College Station. We have better BBQ.

Shreveport is in Northwest LA. To get to College Station, you'll be driving through South LA. It's a 14 hour drive from Greenville to CS. That's brutal imo. Like others have said, flying to Houston is your best bet. And you're less than 2 hours from CS.

Shreveport is in Northwest LA. To get to College Station, you'll be driving through South LA. It's a 14 hour drive from Greenville to CS. That's brutal imo. Like others have said, flying to Houston is your best bet. And you're less than 2 hours from CS.
Looked up directions and it gave two possible routes. Really thought about going and staying in New Orleans Friday night. But it was cheaper to stay in Shreveport. Thanks for the info. Trying to decide which to do. It’s a group of guys, so road trip sounded fun.

Looked up directions and it gave two possible routes. Really thought about going and staying in New Orleans Friday night. But it was cheaper to stay in Shreveport. Thanks for the info. Trying to decide which to do. It’s a group of guys, so road trip sounded fun.

How much time do you have for the trip?

How much time do you have for the trip?
If driving, plan is to leave early Friday AM and get to our destination that afternoon/evening. Saturday morning, get up and drive into College Station. After the game, either drive back to where we stayed Friday or somewhere else. Get up Sunday AM and drive back to SC.

Not as young as I used to be so I’m sure it will be a rough Monday. Mr. Dangerfield has challenged me to fisticuffs the following week when I come down for the Marshall game, so hopefully I’ll be up to par by then.

I split in two days (coming from the Pee Dee) and typically go through Alabama (Montgomery & Mobile), New Orleans, into Houston. To me, better than driving towards Shreveport. Montgomery to Mobile is tough, but the gulf coast drive on I-10 makes up for it, a bit. About half way for me is Opelika/Auburn and have stayed there.

With you coming from Greenville , you can reach Montgomery easy, maybe Mobile, if you push it. From Mobile, you can be in New Orleans by lunchtime, and Houston by supper. If you find lodging in College Station , it's 93 miles to get there. Remember, the speed limit increases in Texas, so a little time can be made. And be aware Louisiana Troopers are waiting at the state line.

There are a few places to drop of I-10 along the coast for a scenic view, if you have time to spare.

Shreveport is a straighter shot but a tedious drive with not much to look forward to except crossing the Mississippi river, and then it gets even more bleak.

I would fly to Houston, then drive to College Station. Flights won't be expensive and a better deal than driving unless you are paying for a big family. No way would I drive unless you have a crowd of people going.. If you do drive, make it a three day, two night trip and stay in New Orleans one night. The National D-Day Museum there is a fabulous WWII museum. Check out the Ruby Slipper on Magazine Street for breakfasr/brunch if you go. It's on the way to the museum from the French Quarter.

If you’re planning to drive alone I would fly. If you’re going with friends there’s nothing better than a road trip with your buds.
I second that. Nothing like a road trip with friends. You are looking at a 15:00hr to 15:45hr drive out there. In lieu of taking I-20 all the way to Shreveport, I would take I-20 to Meridian, MS and catch I-59 south toward New Orleans. It will add about a half hour of total driving time to your trip, but I think the route is more interesting. Either spend the night in New Orleans or take I-12 and I-10 west to Lake Charles, LA, in the heart of Cajun Country. You can find some legit cajun cooking in Lake Charles (which will be very different from the creole food most people eat in New Orleans thinking it's cajun). Lake Charles puts you about 3:45 from College Station. If you don't think you can make it all the way to Lake Charles on the first day, you also have the option of spending the night in Lafayette or Baton Rouge. Or catch one of these towns on your return trip.

Whatever you do stay away from these fellars!
Them boys ain't right down there they are a whole other breed .
Then again so are most of yall that I've encountered so yall may fit right in.;)

giphy.gif

SmoggySereneElver-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
I hope you don't mean eat brisket in Houston. Southwest flies into Austin. You can eat BBQ here (Franklin's or LA BBQ) and drive about the same distance to College Station. We have better BBQ.
Looks like it's a shorter drive from Houston.
Yes, brisket in Houston. What I had was 20x better than any brisket I could get in the SE. If it's better else where... holy ****.

LA BBQ? I hope that's Louisiana or someone's initials. :)

You forgot. Eat some more brisket before you leave
I don't know. Filling up on some brisket and filling up on some vinegar pork is a lot different. Give me 12 hours and I can hit back up some vinegar barbq. Tearing up 2-3 lbs of brisket? I have meat sweats for weeks.

Reactions: jonesz21
Whatever you do stay away from these fellars!
Them boys ain't right down there they are a whole other breed .
Then again so are most of yall that I've encountered so yall may fit right in.;)

images

SmoggySereneElver-size_restricted.gif

I'm pretty sure this is what I look like trying to explain an old story after a bunch of beers.

Flying isn’t out of the question. Never been through Alabama or Louisiana, so was just contemplating all options.

There is nothing worth seeing in Alabama or Mississippi. Unless you're going to stop in New Orleans, there is absolutely no reason to drive.

Reactions: ClemDent
my son and I went last year. we flew into Houston rented a car and went to college station. stayed at the la Quinta directly across from a&m campus (worst $200/night hotel I have ever stayed in). we went to the Dixie chicken, walked around campus, and visited the George Bush presidential library. Went to the game then Sunday morning drove back to Houston and stayed right next to the Texans' stadium. went to the Texans' game and flew home Monday morning. it was a trip my son will always remember. Kyle field is the best stadium I have ever visited and the beer was cold. I would not recommend the hotel but I think there are more in Bryan, tx. on a side note, my son left my debit card at the hot dog station at half time. and at 1:00 am a lady called me and said she had my card and would bring it to me the next morning at the hotel. she worked at the stadium and it was turned in to her. somehow, she tracked me down. best road trip I have done. I have offered to go with my wife (Clemson grad) this year i had such a good experience. Driving from SC would not be my choice, however.

You better get your place in line today if you want to eat at Franklins. That's the same guy from Pitmasters right?

You better get your place in line today if you want to eat at Franklins. That's the same guy from Pitmasters right?

Yeah, it is a long line. I basically never go there (Franklins) because there are 4 or 5 very good places now in Austin without the wait.

Flying isn’t out of the question. Never been through Alabama or Louisiana, so was just contemplating all options.
I have never driven to Tx, always Flew, Now, if i just wanted to see the "Country" yes i would drive, College Station game IS IN Fact on my bucket list.. .. But i just envision this if I drive....
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: DrMickey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT