ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Baseball at South Carolina March 11/12/13

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001

Texas Baseball at South Carolina March 11/12/13​

Looking forward to this. I had hoped to come, but wife doesn't want to fly. Viruses and all.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Plenty of good stops along the way. I was in Austin last year for our games. I’m like Madden, I drive.
Honestly between the time spent going through security, potential for the flight to be delayed or cancelled and waiting to get your bags at the end of the flight a lot of times driving can be less stressful and sometimes not much longer.

The planes have an air filtration hepa filters, so your wife will be fine..
Yea, in terms of flying now, the plane itself can be relatively safe as long as you don't encounter some crazy anti-masker causing a scene and trying to start a fight.

The problem with flying now in terms of the virus is the crowded airports. In my city masks are required anywhere inside the airport but not sure its the same everywhere.

Honestly between the time spent going through security, potential for the flight to be delayed or cancelled and waiting to get your bags at the end of the flight a lot of times driving can be less stressful and sometimes not much longer.
Huh? Yea, in some cases this is true but Austin, TX to Columbia, SC is a 17-hour drive....not counting stops.

Reactions: usc1855
Huh? Yea, in some cases this is true but Austin, TX to Columbia, SC is a 17-hour drive....not counting stops.
I won’t dispute if a flight leaves Austin at the same time a car does that the plane won’t win. That is a long drive.

Flight is going to be about 4 hours or more because you are highly unlikely to get a non stop Columbia to Austin. If you don’t have the points you’ll pay out the butt for it. You’ll likely need to be at the airport two hours early just to get through security so you don’t miss your flight. Then there’s the time once your plane lands to getting your bags and your transportation out of the airport. Then if you didn’t pony up for the expensive flight into the smaller airport you’ll be driving an hour from Charlotte or 3 from Atlanta.

This puts you anywhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 hours already and that’s not even considering the possibility of a delay or cancellation.

Plenty of good stops along the way. I was in Austin last year for our games. I’m like Madden, I drive.
He was driven. One wears you out more than the other. I drove to Dallas years ago. Even had a new Cadillac to ride in. But I'd rather have been lounging in the backseat.

Yeah, we had some guys flying to a meeting from Austin to Love Field in Dallas. One guy dropped them off at Bergstrom in Austin and when they got off the plane in Dallas he was waiting to drive them to the meeting. That wouldn't work going from Austin to the east coast.

Yeah, we had some guys flying to a meeting from Austin to Love Field in Dallas. One guy dropped them off at Bergstrom in Austin and when they got off the plane in Dallas he was waiting to drive them to the meeting. That wouldn't work going from Austin to the east coast.
Yea, I agree. Maybe better option to come to Columbia would be to drive to Dallas, leave from DFW on non-stop flight to Columbia.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Yea, in terms of flying now, the plane itself can be relatively safe as long as you don't encounter some crazy anti-masker causing a scene and trying to start a fight.

The problem with flying now in terms of the virus is the crowded airports. In my city masks are required anywhere inside the airport but not sure its the same everywhere.

Tell me you are being sarcastic?

Reactions: 01fatboy
Those guys have more money than sense.

I won’t dispute if a flight leaves Austin at the same time a car does that the plane won’t win. That is a long drive.

Flight is going to be about 4 hours or more because you are highly unlikely to get a non stop Columbia to Austin. If you don’t have the points you’ll pay out the butt for it. You’ll likely need to be at the airport two hours early just to get through security so you don’t miss your flight. Then there’s the time once your plane lands to getting your bags and your transportation out of the airport. Then if you didn’t pony up for the expensive flight into the smaller airport you’ll be driving an hour from Charlotte or 3 from Atlanta.

This puts you anywhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 hours already and that’s not even considering the possibility of a delay or cancellation.
Flying is not that bad.

Flying is not that bad.
I actually pulled this itenerary off the Delta web site before posting. Couldn’t find anything under 4 hours and one stop. I’m not saying you couldn’t find any other options but I also wasn’t going to put on my travel agent hat just to dig to make a point.

I am currently in Greenwood visiting family. I have my dog with me so couldn't fly. Took me 15 hours. Hit Atlanta about 8pm Tuesday night. Going up 85 every one was doing at least 80 mph when suddenly brakes were slamming just ahead of me as a Charger and a BMW stopped in the middle lanes to line up for a street race in the middle of the freeway. Later on road construction dropped the road to one lane. Traffic moved about 10 mph for several miles. I can fly out of DFW non-stop to Greenville in 1 hour and 45 minutes. I love to fly.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

You started it so Okay. What about some crazy mask nazi that thinks they are saving the world trying to start a fight?

You started it so Okay. What about some crazy mask nazi that thinks they are saving the world trying to start a fight?
Well, literally every incident on planes so far I have ready about has involved a passenger refusing to comply with the mask mandate.

Reactions: DaddyRooster
Is there a time machine involved?
1-18.gif

Texas Baseball at South Carolina March 11/12/13​

Looking forward to this. I had hoped to come, but wife doesn't want to fly. Viruses and all.
I fly usually every other week or more. Planes are safe and mask are required. If you are vaccinated, preferably double vaccinated and boostead, you have little to worry about. And, if you do get COVID, likely wasn’t from the plane - could get it anywhere - even in your community within TX.

Vaccinations don‘t prevent you from getting it, but if you are fully vaccinated you are less likely to have something sever happen.

Don’t let the virus prevent you (and you wife) from enjoying the things you want to do. Just protect yourself and practice good, enhanced hygiene protocols.

Reactions: atl-cock
This should help.

CLEAR is $60/yr unless you have the highest frequent flyer status and then it is usually complimentary. Not really worth it unless you fly a lot from crowded airports - and CLEAR isn’t in every airport.

Definitely recommend TSA pre-check even if you only fly a few times a year - especially if you fly from busy airports. It used to be $80 for three years. I guess it is still the same price.

Well, literally every incident on planes so far I have ready about has involved a passenger refusing to comply with the mask mandate.
Well there was that one chick who spat and slapped the man for not wearing a mask while he was eating. Of course, she wasn't wearing a mask either, while coming back from the lavatory.

Germs are not allowed in the TSA line.

Germs are allowed but only germs that meet certain criteria. One of those is that they must be large enough to not fit through a cloth mask. The means only germs larger than a skittle are permitted in the TSA screening area.
Of course if you have the fast pass you are completely safe. All germs are banned from that area. 80 bucks well spent if you ask me.

Reactions: mauze1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT