ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC is all about Clemson, or so it seems.....

I'd rather have 6 or 8 teams make it in. As for the ACC, they must don't like going to the playoffs. Because unless it's a miracle, they won't have a team in the top 4 once every 5yrs or so at best. That's me counting on this clemson downward spiral continuing.

I'd rather have 6 or 8 teams make it in. As for the ACC, they must don't like going to the playoffs. Because unless it's a miracle, they won't have a team in the top 4 once every 5yrs or so at best. That's me counting on this clemson downward spiral continuing.
Too many games

Reactions: jonesz21
The ACC is banking on the SEC staying in the NCAA, regardless. That's a risky bet, in my opinion. With Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, we won't need the NCAA. The SEC will be the center of the collegiate sports universe.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
This is unbelievable, for one conference to make note of one team who does not want to do it. Or so it seems. Whatever it is, it seems, is well, pretty arrogant.

So the only team in the ACC that's been there recently doesn't want the physical burden of more than 15 games and they were the only team with the experience to cite? I think you're letting your bias in on this perspective. If the ACC had more than one team in Clemson's run that had the talent to contend and was left out maybe they would change their position, but nothing wrong with this.

Agree - typical ACC bs, Hopefully Clemson will decline and they can have 2 SEC teams in every year - would serve Phillips right. Don`t know why one person can stop expansion. Hell, I said 8 from the beginning and wouldn`t mind 16. Just cut back to 11 regular season games, That would also give teams another open date, thus more rest for physical well-being, for those who want to use the injury argument, You would then have less overall games and very few teams playing more than 12 - many now play 13 as we know. Phillips is the Scrooge of college football.

Last edited:
Clemson historically plays one tough game maybe in the regular season. Then they generally are very healthy going into 4 team playoffs. They basically play mostly unranked teams all year then face teams in the playoffs that have had brutal schedules and are not close to an 100% . Why would they want to change. They get the benefit of a very week conference and a chance at the ultimate trophy. The Acc as conference has one show in town right now and they know it. They are not going to go against Clemson.

Last edited:
The ACC is banking on the SEC staying in the NCAA, regardless. That's a risky bet, in my opinion. With Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC, we won't need the NCAA. The SEC will be the center of the collegiate sports universe.
The SEC can not survive on its own. The ratings from the CFP championship prove that. Second worst in 16 years.

Reactions: rogue cock
Agree - typical ACC bs, Hopefully Clemson will decline and they can have 2 SEC teams in every year - would serve Phillips right. Don`t know why one person can stop expansion. Hell, I said 8 from the beginning and wouldn`t mind 16. Just cut back to 11 regular season games, That would also give teams another open date, thus more rest for physical well-being, for those who want to use the injury argument, You would then have less overall games and very few teams playing more than 12 - many now play 14 as we know. Phillips is the Scrooge of college football.
He is not the only one saying no. Saban literally just got done saying no.

Reactions: king ward
The article states that the CFP requires unanimous consent among all league commissioners (don't know if that's all D-I leagues or just the P5) for modification.

Phillips cited three reasons for holding off: athlete health and safety with extra games.
This is BS. Every other collegiate division has a successful true playoff each season.

Other commissioners have cited automatic qualifiers and keeping the bowl system relevant as reasons to hold off expanding.
Why would you want to keep the bowls relevant and give away all of that extra revenue? Who is paying whom under the table?

While I'm definitely opposed to this newest SEC expansion (and again, I opposed admitting aTm & Mizzou several years ago), that's a far-fetched reason to block playoff expansion.

The SEC can not survive on its own. The ratings from the CFP championship prove that. Second worst in 16 years.
I understand your point. BUT, demographic trends show people migrating to warm weather areas. In the long-term, the SEC will be where it is at, IMHO.

This is unbelievable, for one conference to make note of one team who does not want to do it. Or so it seems. Whatever it is, it seems, is well, pretty arrogant.

I don't read the article as claiming that Clemson is calling the shots for the conference. I think it cites Clemson's experience playing 15 games because they are the only team in the conference to play that many games.

College football suffers because it's fan base is so stratified. Games often have a regional if not statewide appeal. Meanwhile, the NFL basks in the uniqueness of pro sport's primary advantage....anybody can essentially pull for anybody with no geographical or experiential ties.

The marketing power the NFL has from an enamored but struggling media needing to be out front is massive. It's easy content, and far reaching.

From my view, getting more teams in playoffs engages more fans. Expand. College football won't draw the massive numbers so it's a volume game. Big ratings finales....at a decent broadcast time, are a plus.

Reactions: CarolinaBro

If this is true, it would be the first thing they have ever done to oblige me. Also, I never lost power yesterday. And the Cowboys lost. I'm on an unprecedented roll.

Then let's reduce it to the final four in all sports, all divisions.
Not a bad idea. But it's like putting toothpaste back into the tube. You know how that goes. To be fair, those other sports don't take as much out of teams and players as football does. 15 games for college football players is a lot of games. And yet we want more.

I'm sure he is. Saban knows the current system further increases their advantage just by the way it's structured.
More than one thing can be true at the same time. In fact, several things can. Right now, keeping the present system is good for the teams who have already proven they can make it, bad for several hopeless pretenders in any given year, and advantageous to the bowls - all at the same time.

Reactions: fowl_mood
More parity in basketball. Makes it interesting. And the concussion issue isn’t near as great in other sports.

Reactions: Jbouton2
More than one thing can be true at the same time. In fact, several things can. Right now, keeping the present system is good for the teams who have already proven they can make it, bad for several hopeless pretenders in any given year, and advantageous to the bowls - all at the same time.
:) We've been back and forth on this a bit.

Without getting back into the discussion of network effects and the like, why do you believe the 8-year span of playoffs has produced the highest concentration of the same teams over any other 8-year span in modern history?

I understand your point. BUT, demographic trends show people migrating to warm weather areas. In the long-term, the SEC will be where it is at, IMHO.
They aren't changing that fast....and among the warm-weather states that many are moving to are Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, etc. By far the largest concentration of the population of the US remains on the Northern East Coast, West Coast, and Upper Midwest.

:) We've been back and forth on this a bit.

Without getting back into the discussion of network effects and the like, why do you believe the 8-year span of playoffs has produced the highest concentration of the same teams over any other 8-year span in modern history?
Because the people who are good are clearly good and there ain't that many of them. But what they do isn't patented. What they do is not foreclosed to others.

Because the people who are good are clearly good and there ain't that many of them. But what they do isn't patented. What they do is not foreclosed to others.
So it's coincidence that the 8 years is more lopsided than any other time in history? Do you see any advantages UGA has over us besides being "good?"

Last edited:

A 4-team playoff is perfect for clemson. I see no one in the ACC stopping them with any consistency in making the playoffs. Clemson won't always make the playoffs. But, they will make it often. Norvell at Florida State has not yet proven he is P5 Head Coaching material. Mack Brown is well past his "sell by" date. This past season was the first time in 7 years that Narduzzi at Pitt finished a season nationally ranked. Clawson at Wake Forest finished nationally ranked for the first time in 8 seasons. Pitt and WF will occasionally have a magical season, but not often. So, Clemson pretty much has a clear path to the playoffs as long as they continue recruiting at a high level. And being able to tell recruits that they have great chances of making it to the playoffs to play for a national championship, is a huge advantage for them in recruiting, both in the palmetto state and beyond.

Better football heritage, talent rich state (but they can't sign them all, can they?), no serious competition within the state (yields a larger fanbase and fundraising potential).

It's like compounding interest. There are advantages that have nothing to do with performance in a game, and those fixed advantages multiply at an accelerated rate over time. Blue-bloods.

The majority of the population follows the leader. The 4-team playoff system widens that gap through repeated media exposure and recruiting. For example, we didn't see many 5-stars from the West coming to Clemson until the playoff system was in place.

The NIL system is even less subtle in this regard and will further reward the deep-pocketed. Saban either had enough of a conscience to weigh-in on this one and/or he is concerned about BAMA possibly being outbid by LSU (oil), UGA (ATL), etc.

"...I think what is a little concerning is how is that used to get players to decide where they go to school, because I don't think that was the intention," Saban said. "I don't think that would be the NCAA's intention. I think we probably need some kind of national legislation to sort of control that to some degree, because I think there will be an imbalance relative to who can dominate college football if that's not regulated in some form or fashion."

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/09/nick-saban-thoughts-nil-kirby-smart-title-game

Last edited:
Not a bad idea. But it's like putting toothpaste back into the tube. You know how that goes. To be fair, those other sports don't take as much out of teams and players as football does. 15 games for college football players is a lot of games. And yet we want more.
If every other collegiate division had an ersatz playoff like FBS, I would be more welcoming of that position.

Reactions: gamecock stock
It's like compounding interest. There are advantages that have nothing to do with performance in a game, and those fixed advantages multiply at an accelerated rate over time. Blue-bloods.

The majority of the population follows the leader. The 4-team playoff system widens that gap through repeated media exposure and recruiting. For example, we didn't see many 5-stars from the West coming to Clemson until the playoff system was in place.

The NIL system is even less subtle in this regard and will further reward the deep-pocketed. Saban either had enough of a conscience to weigh-in on this one and/or he is concerned about BAMA possibly being outbid by the LSU (oil), UGA (ATL), etc.

"...I think what is a little concerning is how is that used to get players to decide where they go to school, because I don't think that was the intention," Saban said. "I don't think that would be the NCAA's intention. I think we probably need some kind of national legislation to sort of control that to some degree, because I think there will be an imbalance relative to who can dominate college football if that's not regulated in some form or fashion."

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/09/nick-saban-thoughts-nil-kirby-smart-title-game
It won't be just football.

There are 85 scholarship players per team. Maybe the best team in the nation has the best 85 players versus the best 25 or so, with most of the remaining 60 never getting to see the field except during mop-up time.
And if Clemson players don't want more than 15 games per year, I hope they put their money where their mouths are and forego playing in the NFL. They can play between 23-24 games per year.
The ACC Commissioner is just afraid we would see more than 2 SEC teams in the playoffs, when there would be none from the ACC.

Most years there is a 5th and sometimes a 6th team that has a decent argument for deserving a chance to play for it all. I say it's better to have it for those years than not to have it at all. Adjust the season however you got to to make that happen.

There are 85 scholarship players per team. Maybe the best team in the nation has the best 85 players versus the best 25 or so, with most of the remaining 60 never getting to see the field except during mop-up time.
And if Clemson players don't want more than 15 games per year, I hope they put their money where their mouths are and forego playing in the NFL. They can play between 23-24 games per year.
The ACC Commissioner is just afraid we would see more than 2 SEC teams in the playoffs, when there would be none from the ACC.
Expansion had it capped at 3 teams max per conference that was the discussion.

Prpblem with your rationale is that Sankey agrees with the ACC commissioner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT