ADVERTISEMENT

The art of perpetuating hysterical overreaction!!!

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
The days after a Gamecock loss leads me to avoid fan forums like a plague!!! The same folks post the same sky is falling nonsense after each loss!! I could have read yesterdays posts by going back to last year's aftermath of the UK loss.. It's the same story and song.. Our players are inferior, our coaches are idiots, our fans are awful, our AD is evil yadadada... Woe is us the sky is falling..

We got our asses kicked by a better team.. It counts as one loss.. Get your hysterical chins up, stop whining and crying like toddlers in a soiled pamper.. We have 11 more battles to fight...

It's not that we lost, it's how bad we looked doing it. We did not look well coached and disciplined. We did not look tough and we actually looked like quitters in the second half. Muschamp says he teaches toughness and discipline and playing for 60 mins. I didn't see that Saturday. That's what most are alarmed about. Remember those days we'd barely lose to a ranked team but the team played hard and it made you proud? I miss those days. What I saw Saturday was embarrassing.

No, the problem is the unjustified, over the top exuberance on sports boards prior to the game. Upsets happen, I get it. But on this board and others, poster after poster confidently predicted that we would beat the team that is likely the only team with the speed, depth and coaching to challenge Bama this year. It was (and still is) unrealistic. Then when the inevitable occurs, those same posters attack everyone and everything including 20 year old kids. The problem isn’t Boom or his team. It’s the crazy ass fans. But, if you insist on pointing a finger at someone, I suggest you look in the direction of the AD. He’s the guy that is handsomely paid to run a $100MM sports biz.

The days after a Gamecock loss leads me to avoid fan forums like a plague!!! The same folks post the same sky is falling nonsense after each loss!! I could have read yesterdays posts by going back to last year's aftermath of the UK loss.. It's the same story and song.. Our players are inferior, our coaches are idiots, our fans are awful, our AD is evil yadadada... Woe is us the sky is falling..

We got our asses kicked by a better team.. It counts as one loss.. Get your hysterical chins up, stop whining and crying like toddlers in a soiled pamper.. We have 11 more battles to fight...

Stop getting curb stomped by uga and CleMson is too much to ask? There is a reason CleMson is light years ahead of us. THEY DONT SETTLE they address the issue and make changes not stick their head in the sand like a lot of USC fans and administration

If tickets and parking were free, maybe people wouldn't freak out so bad. Don't hype yourself up in the offseason, then charge the moon for tickets (muh price increase for facilities!), make parking a nightmare even though you charge a lot for it. Then wonder why people get pissed when they realize they've been duped yet again and are sitting in 90 degree sun watching crap football on a Saturday afternoon. Since it's the season it's time to dial back expectations but I could have sworn before the season the expectations were high. Ironically this same conversation happened last year, it's just harder to convince people to lower their expectations the more years go by. It's year 3, show me something.

If tickets and parking were free, maybe people wouldn't freak out so bad. Don't hype yourself up in the offseason, then charge the moon for tickets (muh price increase for facilities!), make parking a nightmare even though you charge a lot for it. Then wonder why people get pissed when they realize they've been duped yet again and are sitting in 90 degree sun watching crap football on a Saturday afternoon. Since it's the season it's time to dial back expectations but I could have sworn before the season the expectations were high. Ironically this same conversation happened last year, it's just harder to convince people to lower their expectations the more years go by. It's year 3, show me something.

This.... time to chit or get off the pot

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It's not that we lost, it's how bad we looked doing it. We did not look well coached and disciplined. We did not look tough and we actually looked like quitters in the second half. Muschamp says he teaches toughness and discipline and playing for 60 mins. I didn't see that Saturday. That's what most are alarmed about. Remember those days we'd barely lose to a ranked team but the team played hard and it made you proud? I miss those days. What I saw Saturday was embarrassing.
Believe it or not we were two plays from either being tied or ahead at half time and that would have made a bigger difference in the second half. The ricochet interception followed by the 3 and out had us playing behind the chains all day
And the when we intercepted them right after the touchdown to cut their lead im half we proceeded to cash in all our momentum with another 3 and out. My issue was that i could never figure out what our gameplan was.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Sane rational folks will allow the season to play out and judge the results. One game does not define a season.. Georgia is a case in point!! Just last November the dawgs went to Auburn got curb stomped!!! Coach The boasted that his Tigers had knocked the dawg out of Jawja!! The dawgs overcame the hysterical overreaction and two weeks later turned the tables and curb stomped Auburn to win the SEC championship!

I hate losing more than anyone... But I refuse to punk out and throw my hands up and quit because of one ass whipping... Yeah we got whipped and looked bad doing it.. So what?? Buck up and get ready to go! We have 11 more games to play!!!

Reactions: SCexpat38

These forums serve a therapeutic purpose, as well as a recreational one. Let the venting run its course, which it will in short order.

No, the problem is the unjustified, over the top exuberance on sports boards prior to the game. Upsets happen, I get it. But on this board and others, poster after poster confidently predicted that we would beat the team that is likely the only team with the speed, depth and coaching to challenge Bama this year. It was (and still is) unrealistic. Then when the inevitable occurs, those same posters attack everyone and everything including 20 year old kids. The problem isn’t Boom or his team. It’s the crazy ass fans. But, if you insist on pointing a finger at someone, I suggest you look in the direction of the AD. He’s the guy that is handsomely paid to run a $100MM sports biz.

This is an excellent point. If you look at the predictions thread, it seemed like 80% of people were picking us. And if you posted anything to say otherwise, you're a bad fan. We have to be realistic. UGA is one of the top 2-3 teams in the country, we are nowhere close right now.

Think back to HBC's first few years. We got absolutely shellacked by Auburn, Alabama, Florida, etc. I will say he called some incredible games and kept it close with those teams when it shouldn't have been too though. We haven't really seen that here yet.

I will add that there are 2 teams on the 2018 schedule with the talent to challenge Alabama. Unfortunately those 2 teams are our biggest rivals from our perspective. Looking at star power speed and talent.

For us to prevail against Georgia or Clemson in 2018 we have to play our A++ game and hope for some opportunistic errors made by the other side. Last Saturday neither happened. A ball going through our running back's hands for a defensive td. We didn't win the turnover battle. It is not uncommon for that to happen to a more talented and well coached group.

Personally I think the up temp offense should not be the only way we run our offense. It was clear early in the game our offense was a bit jacked. Probably should have been a bit more deliberate, especially when our defenders had been gassed on previous drives.

It's a long season. Hoping the staff adjusts.

These forums serve a therapeutic purpose, as well as a recreational one. Let the venting run its course, which it will in short order.

You are likely 100% correct... Just cant stand all the bloodletting!! Wish we could vent while showing a reasonable amount of respect for the people working so hard to elevate the program!!

Fans are justified in their anger and frustration after Saturday's performance. I didn't predict victory, but it would have been nice to be competitive and beat the spread. Didn't come close to either of those things.

People who are giving up now because this team almost certainly won't win the SEC in 2018 are being unreasonable. But I can't blame anyone for being down after our underperformance on Saturday.

You are likely 100% correct... Just cant stand all the bloodletting!! Wish we could vent while showing a reasonable amount of respect for the people working so hard to elevate the program!!
I understand, but those guys understand the dynamics of the Internet Age.

Our season is now defined by if we can beat Kentucky or not. We can’t reach up and beat the elite teams so let’s at least beat the teams on paper we should beat.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

You're right. We are exactly where we all wanted to be.

Our season is now defined by if we can beat Kentucky or not. We can’t reach up and beat the elite teams so let’s at least beat the teams on paper we should beat.
Not to mention all of a sudden Ole Miss looks better. Hell, don't overlook Vandy.

Mizz also. Any team that can score points is gonna be tough because I don’t think we can go into a shootout. I hope I’m wrong.
Far as I know Marshall runs basically the same offense that we do, so our defense shouldn't be seeing anything they aren't use to. No telling what we are going to see this week, which USC team shows up.

Well said ^^^^.

Jawja doesn't usually 'talk' to opponents on the field during the game or engage in intimidating pushing, shoving, pointing etc. (they leave most of that to their fans), but Carolina's players for the most part didn't push back - DJ Swearinger and Clowney must be in mourning.

We got our butts handed to us by Bama and Auburn in 2005. Georgia shut us out in 2006. We gave up 542 yards on the ground to Arkansas in 2007. No joke....542 yards rushing!!! Imagine if we did that today. We lost to Florida the same year by 20. We lost to Florida by 50 in 2008. I think we would all agree that Spurrier was one of the greatest play callers, but it wasn't until about 2009 that we started playing every team tough.

It's one game. Beat the teams we should and let's land a 5 star running back. A 5-star back would turn this team around over night. Put Marcus Lattimore in our backfield from 2010 and the game is a toss-up.

We have to be realistic. UGA is one of the top 2-3 teams in the country, we are nowhere close right now.
I try not to put too much stock in this single game. As much as I would love to beat UGA and Clemson, what I wanted to see from those games is _improvement_ over last year. I didn't see that Saturday, but I'll reserve my assessment of our improvement, or lack of, until we play a few more games. If we struggle to score 30+ offensive points against Marshall, struggle offensively against teams like Vandy, UK, and Tennessee (whether we win those games or not), that will be a better barometer for measuring this team's improvement than the UGA game.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I will add that there are 2 teams on the 2018 schedule with the talent to challenge Alabama. Unfortunately those 2 teams are our biggest rivals from our perspective. Looking at star power speed and talent.

For us to prevail against Georgia or Clemson in 2018 we have to play our A++ game and hope for some opportunistic errors made by the other side. Last Saturday neither happened. A ball going through our running back's hands for a defensive td. We didn't win the turnover battle. It is not uncommon for that to happen to a more talented and well coached group.

Personally I think the up temp offense should not be the only way we run our offense. It was clear early in the game our offense was a bit jacked. Probably should have been a bit more deliberate, especially when our defenders had been gassed on previous drives.

It's a long season. Hoping the staff adjusts.
Personally, I would actually like to see the up tempo used instead of just talked about. I've only seen it in it's true form for exactly one drive -- against Coastal. There may have been more, but it sure didn't seem like it.

If we're going to do it, then DO IT. Otherwise it's just Muschamp talking a good game to get critics off his back for having atrocious offenses.

I try not to put too much stock in this single game. As much as I would love to beat UGA and Clemson, what I wanted to see from those games is _improvement_ over last year. I didn't see that Saturday, but I'll reserve my assessment of our improvement, or lack of, until we play a few more games. If we struggle to score 30+ offensive points against Marshall, struggle offensively against teams like Vandy, UK, and Tennessee (whether we win those games or not), that will be a better barometer for measuring this team's improvement than the UGA game.

Good points all around. Agreed.

We are big for an SEC team. Clemson and UGA have linemen that are big for NFL teams. We should not underestimate how physical Texas A&M's defense is.

Somewhat related - Has Jake ever been sat during a game for a few series? I don't buy the "he isn't ready" excuse for Joyner. Lawrence was ready to go in a very hostile a&m environment. If the player isn't ready, it's partly the coach's fault. Justin Fields has already played some for UGA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT