ADVERTISEMENT

The gap between USC and Bama

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
For the 3rd straight game Bama plays USC's previous opponent. That would be UT on Saturday.

Watching Bama play A&M and Arkansas it's clear Bama does one thing much better than USC: run the football, especially early in the game (in both games, Bama's first play from scrimmage was a touchdown run). The ability to run the ball translates to increase efficiency in the red zone.

Bama is better at stopping the run as well, but the difference is not as great.

All other aspects of the game appear relatively even, except the passing game (advantage: USC).

Obviously, USC has a long way to go to reach Bama's level (the highest level). Our running game isn't anywhere close to good enough to compete for an SEC title. But at least we've headed in the right direction the last 3 weeks.

yaki-390-220.jpg

What the hell are you talking about?

"All other aspects of the game appear relatively even, except the passing game (advantage: USC)".

Is the OP trying to tell us that we are on the same level as Bama except in the passing game ?

Is this a serious post ?

Is the OP trying to tell us that we are on the same level as Bama except in the passing game ?

Is this a serious post ?

Did you read the post? I clearly stated Bama is much better at running the ball. They also stop the run better, though the difference is less pronounced.

Did you read the post? I clearly stated Bama is much better at running the ball. They also stop the run better, though the difference is less pronounced.

They are better at every phase. No idea what sport you are watching.

Reactions: mbsurfside

Yes I read it, you also said
All other aspects of the game appear relatively even, except the passing game (advantage: USC).

I can appreciate supporting your team, but you have to be realistic

Yes I read it, you also said

I can appreciate supporting your team, but you have to be realistic

Right. All other aspects of the game besides running the ball and stopping the run are relatively even.

Our special teams play is 2nd to none lol.

Obviously spoken by someone who doesn't watch Bama play. They couldn't field a punt last night without some kind of drama, including one muffed punt. They don't attempt long field goals because their offense doesn't bog down in the red zone like ours. Bama's special teams are solid this year, not exceptional. Deebo' loss obviously hurt our special teams.

Bama will be leading UT 48-0 going into the 4th quarter. I do really like a lot of our players, but they have some really great ones, and the difference in the coaching staffs is from here to Saturn

Sorry man. I get your point but we're not as close as you think in aspects other than the run game, run defense or passing game. They have a much better OL and are better at pass and blocking; they have much better DL which gets pressure & better secondary therefore they are much better at defending the pass; they are better in every phase of special teams; and the big kicker is they have more depth at nearly every position.
Right now, I'd say the gap is between 20-35 points, depending on which Carolina offense showed up.

main_900.jpg

Reactions: DrMickey
Bama will be leading UT 48-0 going into the 4th quarter. I do really like a lot of our players, but they have some really great ones, and the difference in the coaching staffs is from here to Saturn

Muschamp was Saban's DC at LSU. Lance Thompson also worked for Saban. Saban would hire T-Rob in a minute to coach defensive backs. Our defensive staff is first rate.

Are we talking offense? You're probably right, though I doubt you could name Bama's OC without looking it up.

I suspect you're talking primarily about the head coaches, which, of course, no one would argue.

Sorry man. I get your point but we're not as close as you think in aspects other than the run game, run defense or passing game. They have a much better OL and are better at pass and blocking; they have much better DL which gets pressure & better secondary therefore they are much better at defending the pass; they are better in every phase of special teams; and the big kicker is they have more depth at nearly every position.
Right now, I'd say the gap is between 20-35 points, depending on which Carolina offense showed up.

main_900.jpg

Yes, the gap is 20-35 points. What's important is to understand why and how to improve.

Obviously spoken by someone who doesn't watch Bama play. They couldn't field a punt last night without some kind of drama, including one muffed punt. They don't attempt long field goals because their offense doesn't bog down in the red zone like ours. Bama's special teams are solid this year, not exceptional. Deebo' loss obviously hurt our special teams.

Long fg? We missed an extra pt again

Reactions: cockyferg
We don't have a player on our team besides maybe Skai that would make the 2 deep at Bama . Outside of Skai , Nobody .... not even close .

Reactions: Jpcooper
We don't have a player on our team besides maybe Skai that would make the 2 deep at Bama . Outside of Skai , Nobody .... not even close .

Hurst would start. So would a healthy Deebo. Bama has basically one wide receiver, Ridley. Bo Scarbrough is their second leading receiver. Bailey would certainly make the 2 deep. Are suggesting Jake could even make Bama's 2 deep? Interesting.

Reactions: aj&uscgrad
Robert Forster and Cam Sims are listed as starters for Bama. I would take Bryan Edwards over them right now.

Hurst would start. So would a healthy Deebo. Bama has basically one wide receiver, Ridley. Bo Scarbrough is their second leading receiver. Bailey would certainly make the 2 deep. Are suggesting Jake could even make Bama's 2 deep? Interesting.

Yeah your right a healthy Deebo would start . I still don't think Hurst or Bailey would make the 2 deep . Jake would have a shot but he doesn't fit their system . This is by no means a shot at those players , the amount of depth Bama has on both sides of the ball is incredible . Bama's second team would beat anyone in the East besides UGA .

Reactions: DarkCock
The Gap between Bama and South Carolina? Several in the malls around Atlanta. Oh, you mean football? As far as the East is from the West.

Reactions: gpcocks
Yeah your right a healthy Deebo would start . I still don't think Hurst or Bailey would make the 2 deep . Jake would have a shot but he doesn't fit their system . This is by no means a shot at those players , the amount of depth Bama has on both sides of the ball is incredible . Bama's second team would beat anyone in the East besides UGA .

I agree depth is by far what separates Bama from not only us but the rest of college football. I also can't come with a player on defense who would start for Bama, maybe Moore. But watching Bama against A&M and Arky are defensive production wasn't that far behind. Bama's D has the advantage of a) playing with the lead and b) an offense that controls the ball. So I'm impressed with our defensive coaching.

The funny thing is, we have a lot of very good to great skill guys that would make the 2-deep at Bama, and when you really look at their roster, there aren't a lot of skill guys that jump out at you, and there's a starting QB that isn't even close to a vertical threat, and they dominate everyone just about. It's all the trenches and the overall D I guess

Reactions: DarkCock
I agree depth is by far what separates Bama from not only us but the rest of college football. I also can't come with a player on defense who would start for Bama, maybe Moore. But watching Bama against A&M and Arky are defensive production wasn't that far behind. Bama's D has the advantage of a) playing with the lead and b) an offense that controls the ball. So I'm impressed with our defensive coaching.

I totally agree . Our defense has played lights out . Honestly what separates Bama plain and simple is Saban . Love him or hate him , he's a animal and a total workaholic. During the offseason I see his Jet at the private airport where I live every other week . He recruits like nobody else . He's ALWAYS in the Panhandle recruiting . And 9 times out of 10 it's Saban , not a position coach or an assistant . In the last 5 years he's pulled multiple guys out of this area that are playing in the NFL . When Kirby was at Bama he was here all the time . People forget , when Saban arrived at Bama they were on Pretty tough times . Auburn had beaten them 5 years in a row , recruiting was in the gutter , and the stadium was half full . They were hurting bad . People forget , his first season they lost to Louisiana Monroe at home . Bama has a storied tradition but it had faded hard since Gene Stallings left . Saban's the man

The funny thing is, we have a lot of very good to great skill guys that would make the 2-deep at Bama, and when you really look at their roster, there aren't a lot of skill guys that jump out at you, and there's a starting QB that isn't even close to a vertical threat, and they dominate everyone just about. It's all the trenches and the overall D I guess
Yo

I think we have one of the best collection of coaches we've ever had. 70% of the players who are playing regularly are Freshmen and Sop's.

Reactions: tl from little hell
Honestly, the talk about our skill players reminds me of Clemson talking about Spiller and Sammy Watkins and others being so great while we were busy winning 5 in a row. Yes, they had great skill players, But we were beating the crap out of them on the line of scrimmage. We would get murdered on the line of scrimmage by Bama, so our skill players wouldn't amount to very much.

Really comparing the Cocks to Bama is absurd. However the gap between Bama and everybody else is pretty large this year with exception of Georgia maybe. Alabama will crush everybody the rest of the year. UGA might give them a game. Bama has no weakness this year.

For the 3rd straight game Bama plays USC's previous opponent. That would be UT on Saturday.

Watching Bama play A&M and Arkansas it's clear Bama does one thing much better than USC: run the football, especially early in the game (in both games, Bama's first play from scrimmage was a touchdown run). The ability to run the ball translates to increase efficiency in the red zone.

Bama is better at stopping the run as well, but the difference is not as great.

Obviously, USC has a long way to go to reach Bama's level (the highest level). Our running game isn't anywhere close to good enough to compete for an SEC title. But at least we've headed in the right direction the last 3 weeks.

Thier line of scrimmages on both sides of the ball is like comparing our military to Mexico's.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Thier line of scrimmages on both sides of the ball is like comparing our military to Mexico's.

This thread is becoming like the threads on UCONN women's basketball. "Their second team could win the national title." The truth was UCONN barely played its bench the last couple of seasons. They were never THAT far ahead of everyone else.

Yes, Bama is O line is much better than ours. On the defensive line, the gap isn't as significant as some seem to think. Isiah Buggs has played major minutes for Bama the last couple of games. Buggs was the number 1 rate DE out of JUCO last year, one spot ahead of Javon Kinlaw. We beat Bama out for Kinlaw, who's not even starting for us. So we have some players there, even if they aren't quite Bama, UGA, Clemson level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT