ADVERTISEMENT

The Garnet way......tweet

It's the visual that looks bad. That tweet is out there, word has already spread to several other message boards. Other recruits have seen the tweet. USC is damn dumb when it comes to doing damage control or preventing such things to begin with. If they were smart and wanted to look like they took the blame they should have some booster give the kid and his family tickets to a game. That doesn't break any rules, it's just someone that doesn't work for the athletic department giving their tickets to him and his family because "he can't make it to the game". Maybe a few passes to the McGuire room wouldn't hurt either. This is what Clemson would do, so would Duke, UNC, etc.
That absolutely would break NCAA rules unless the family that gave him the tickets knew him before age 14 (I think that's the age).

It's the visual that looks bad. That tweet is out there, word has already spread to several other message boards. Other recruits have seen the tweet. USC is damn dumb when it comes to doing damage control or preventing such things to begin with. If they were smart and wanted to look like they took the blame they should have some booster give the kid and his family tickets to a game. That doesn't break any rules, it's just someone that doesn't work for the athletic department giving their tickets to him and his family because "he can't make it to the game". Maybe a few passes to the McGuire room wouldn't hurt either. This is what Clemson would do, so would Duke, UNC, etc.

That is still a violation of impermissible gifts and if that happened, the recruit could be forbidden to play at that university. A booster cannot give a recruit or his family anything of monetary value unless there is a prior relationship with the recruit or family before any recruiting started.

You either can't be that dumb, or you need to read up on some of the NCAA Rules.

But then that doesn't fit your narrative of always bashing the University, football, basketball, and/or baseball teams.

Reactions: rogue cock

baffling......

Straighten your post out - #42, state the rules exactly, and I'll see if I can answer.
This is the first site I saw that laid out the school's requirement on allowing free admission to the school's sporting events.

"The only expenses that NCAA rules allow ASU to provide a prospective student-athlete on an unofficial visit are three complimentary admissions to a home athletics contest through the use of a pass list (not hard tickets). Those admissions are for the exclusive use of the prospective student-athlete and those accompanying the prospective student-athlete on the visit. Please note that in all sports except basketball and football, an individual cannot make an unofficial visit to any NCAA Division I institution until September 1 of his or her junior year in high school."

https://sundevilcompliance.asu.edu/...-the-ncaa-rules-relating-to-recruiting-visits

Reactions: king ward
That is still a violation of impermissible gifts and if that happened, the recruit could be forbidden to play at that university. A booster cannot give a recruit or his family anything of monetary value unless there is a prior relationship with the recruit or family before any recruiting started.

You either can't be that dumb, or you need to read up on some of the NCAA Rules.

But then that doesn't fit your narrative of always bashing the University, football, basketball, and/or baseball teams.
My narrative is bashing the downright foolishness and stupidity my university shows when it comes to athletics. Some of us are sick and tired of being the butt of jokes because we can't do simple basic things that other big time programs handle on a daily basis. We might have a $100 million athletic department but the thing is run like a lemonade stand by the neighborhood children. You can continue to dismiss this stuff offhand but when you can't do the little things, the simple things, don't expect big things to come. The PR damage we inflict on ourselves is far worse than any NCAA violation we could dream of. We are running out of feet to shoot ourselves in.

My narrative is bashing the downright foolishness and stupidity my university shows when it comes to athletics. Some of us are sick and tired of being the butt of jokes because we can't do simple basic things that other big time programs handle on a daily basis. We might have a $100 million athletic department but the thing is run like a lemonade stand by the neighborhood children. You can continue to dismiss this stuff offhand but when you can't do the little things, the simple things, don't expect big things to come. The PR damage we inflict on ourselves is far worse than any NCAA violation we could dream of. We are running out of feet to shoot ourselves in.
The problem here is the recruit is also supposed to know the rules....they are given classes, pamphlets, etc. on the rules. There is a reason for the pass list instead of simply handing them hard tickets. You have to do a couple of backflips in order to blame the school for this one.

Reactions: Silverspur02
The problem here is the recruit is also supposed to know the rules....they are given classes, pamphlets, etc. on the rules. There is a reason for the pass list instead of simply handing them hard tickets. You have to do a couple of backflips in order to blame the school for this one.
Again, whether it's the schools fault or not it's the perception of the situation. It looks bad. I also wonder why they didn't tell him he could buy a ticket at the window because they had plenty for sale and they aren't exactly expensive.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Again, whether it's the schools fault or not it's the perception of the situation. It looks bad. I also wonder why they didn't tell him he could buy a ticket at the window because they had plenty for sale and they aren't exactly expensive.
You actually believe he went up to a ticket window and they didn't tell him he could purchase a ticket? When has that ever happened? When I go up to the window and ask for X number of tickets, they tell me that will be X dollars.

You actually believe he went up to a ticket window and they didn't tell him he could purchase a ticket? When has that ever happened? When I go up to the window and ask for X number of tickets, they tell me that will be X dollars.
Have you dealt with our ticket office lately? My God you talk about pulling teeth! When you get a good one to help, they're really good. However when you get a bad one, oy ve.

Have you dealt with our ticket office lately? My God you talk about pulling teeth! When you get a good one to help, they're really good. However when you get a bad one, oy ve.
True...but the ticket booths at the game are much different than dealing with the ticket office at the athletic department. The ones at the game simply sell the tickets to whoever shows up. If this was an issue with the pass list, I would agree with you.

Reactions: Silverspur02
This is the first site I saw that laid out the school's requirement on allowing free admission to the school's sporting events.

"The only expenses that NCAA rules allow ASU to provide a prospective student-athlete on an unofficial visit are three complimentary admissions to a home athletics contest through the use of a pass list (not hard tickets). Those admissions are for the exclusive use of the prospective student-athlete and those accompanying the prospective student-athlete on the visit. Please note that in all sports except basketball and football, an individual cannot make an unofficial visit to any NCAA Division I institution until September 1 of his or her junior year in high school."

https://sundevilcompliance.asu.edu/...-the-ncaa-rules-relating-to-recruiting-visits
I'm off to early church and then a family gathering. I'll read this today.

I think that’s an internal matter that the athletic department should have figured out long ago. A recruit picture ID that is valid for a specific length of time comes to my mind. If that’s not feasible, I’d ask Bruce Pearl. Lol.
I always thought a recruit had to be invited and not just show up at the window but that's me. Being recruited isn't a free ticket to any game or it didn't used to be. I wasn't there so who knows but being a potential recruit ain't an any game free card and he most likely knew that.

I do not know about this specific case but if he told them who he was and they did not contact someone that could handle this situation properly...then yes USC once again screwed up.

Think about the crap we have witnessed over the coarse of our lives with this program. We are the only school I ever herd of that let their coach live 500 miles away in the off season. We are the only school that would stand by and watch as the coach promoted his son and gave him responsibilities everyone in the state knew he could not handle. We are the only school that seems to give contract extension to every coach not because it is deserved but because it would make firing them harder and less economically feasible to do so. Seen it many times with Horn, Odom and others.....Chad.

I once was a member of the Gamecock Club but my little bit of money was more important to me and could be spent in much better ways than what the people that run our athletic programs are able to do with it. Does not matter the time or the peoples names....it is always the same crap/

Think about the crap we have witnessed over the coarse of our lives with this program. We are the only school I ever herd of that let their coach live 500 miles away in the off season.

That was Holtz. You think us or any other school was going to tell him "no"? Seriously?

We are the only school that would stand by and watch as the coach promoted his son and gave him responsibilities everyone in the state knew he could not handle.

That was Spurrier. No one was going to tell him how to handle his staff, here or anywhere else.

We are the only school that seems to give contract extension to every coach not because it is deserved but because it would make firing them harder and less economically feasible to do so.

EVERY school rolls over every coach each year at a minimum. If you don't the coach is toast...it amounts to a "no confidence" vote by the administration...you might as well fire the coach.
/

I looked this over. I think it comes down to this: provided the young man had not previously used his three permissible event admissions allowed on unofficial visits, and had the table or booth at the designated gate been in operation, and had his name been affixed to the pass list, he could have been admitted at any time during the contest.

If he didn't make prior arrangements, that's on him. If he did make them, and the table was taken down before he arrived, that might be a different matter.

The specific circumstances would have to be known for a judgment to be reached.

The damage connected with this incident might be mitigated anyway by the young man not wanting to play for Martin's successor.

Reactions: rogue cock
I looked this over. I think it comes down to this: provided the young man had not previously used his three permissible event admissions allowed on unofficial visits, and had the table or booth at the designated gate been in operation, and had his name been affixed to the pass list, he could have been admitted at any time during the contest.

If he didn't make prior arrangements, that's on him. If he did make them, and the table was taken down before he arrived, that might be a different matter.

The specific circumstances would have to be known for a judgment to be reached.
I agree.

bullcrap, you dont know what clemson or anybody else would do in this situation....this was not tanner or martins fault....yall just wanna find a way to complain about frank and tanner

bullcrap, you dont know what clemson or anybody else would do in this situation....this was not tanner or martins fault....yall just wanna find a way to complain about frank and tanner
All I'm complaining about is losing to Clemson in the big 3 men's sports. To me that's worth complaining about.

So much fun reading the comments by the cliff jumpers on this thread only to be properly taken to school by facts on admission procedures, even more fun is watching them still try to justify how they are right ! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT