ADVERTISEMENT

The moment you lost confidence in Muschamp

I think it was the A&M game last year. We were down 27-3 and he went for a field goal, which we made to make the score 27-6. Then there was a game we punted on the opponent's side of the field late in the game we were losing. And there quite a few bungled time management episodes. The UVA bowl debacle. Making a few freshmen QBs look like Heisman frontrunners, only to fall back to earth the next game. And he lost to App. St.

His body of work is remarkably inept. I'm done blaming coordinators and players. It's all on BOOM! now. Every week he stays here it gets worse. I highly doubt players have faith in a coach who goes for meaningless FGs late in blowout losses. And what really good players would want to be here? I know there will be some. But on average, if you can do better elsewhere, you will.

Last edited:
Pretty sure many can say they lost confidence in Spurrier early on his tenure here. Not much offense. Only 6 or 7 wins a year when SEC was down. Actually many wanted him run off
So sane as now. Muschamp is not giving fan base a lot of hope.
Do we let Bobo have time to get offense going ?
Allow Muschamp to hire a good DC ?
Same way Spurrier made massive new hires after his first 5 years and he finally got it going
Or do we make another head coach hire and rebuild again ?
Obviously most want Muschamp gone but even ole Dabo had to finally get right assistants while in ACC
Herman was the great new coach 4 years ago. So sure we can go get the next “ hot coach “ but it’s all a crap shoot

Reactions: wolverine 2
Pretty sure many can say they lost confidence in Spurrier early on his tenure here. Not much offense. Only 6 or 7 wins a year when SEC was down. Actually many wanted him run off
So sane as now. Muschamp is not giving fan base a lot of hope.
Do we let Bobo have time to get offense going ?
Allow Muschamp to hire a good DC ?
Same way Spurrier made massive new hires after his first 5 years and he finally got it going
Or do we make another head coach hire and rebuild again ?
Obviously most want Muschamp gone but even ole Dabo had to finally get right assistants while in ACC
Herman was the great new coach 4 years ago. So sure we can go get the next “ hot coach “ but it’s all a crap shoot
I remember telling a friend that Spurrier was tarnishing his stellar reputation here and I felt sorry for him.

Spurrier's success here coincided with a time when the talent in this state was lights out and convinced them we could be better than clemson. There was actually more to it than that, but that's the gist. Right now no kid in his right mind thinks we will beat clemson until maybe two years after Dabo leaves and takes his entire staff if he's not replaced by a top notch coach, which is quite possible. And the in-state talent pool is a good bit shallower. It wasn't as much that Spurrier finally got it right with the hires as it was we started getting a bunch of high 5*s and 4*s in the two deep. Jimmys and Joes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1
The moment I first heard his name was in contention for the job. And you knew he was Ray's fall back as one had the feeling that the other "hot coaches" Ray was talking to were angling for better jobs. Then got them. Ray had one guy left. And my thought at that time, and to this moment, was if Will couldn't win big ar a recruiting magnet like UF who ever thought he could win big in Columbia, SC?

I wasn't a fan of him even being named a candidate.

Once he was hired, I was quiet and rooted for my Gamecocks, and he does some good things running a program, like academics, he is an OK recruiter, etc.

The first time I saw his conservatism or not trying to win a game really hurt us was:

2016 Birmingham Bowl

We had made a big comeback, a big 4th qtr punt return and rallied to tie USF 39-39, we stopped them on their 40 with 37 second left, and they had a 4th and 2.

They had just run their QB and Muschamp the bonehead let them run out the clock so we can go to OT and lose.

We had 1 TO left, You call a TO there with 37 second left and make them with go for it or punt,

They go for it and get it they still are not in FG range

They go for it and fail, you get the ball at their 40 and can go make a FG and win.

They punt, you can try and block it and win

They punt, you can try and return and win, you just broke a long punt return on them.

It was windy maybe they hit a bad punt, a ten yarder and your in business, maybe they have a bad snap.

Of course we let the clock run out and kept them from making a tough decision and lost the game in OT 46-39, the defensive genius allowing 46 pts go figure.

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan of him even being named a candidate.

Once he was hired, I was quiet and rooted for my Gamecocks, and he does some good things running a program, like academics, he is an OK recruiter, etc.

The first time I saw his conservatism or not trying to win a game really hurt us was:

2016 Birmingham Bowl

We had made a big comeback, a big 4th qtr punt return and rallied to tie USF 39-39, we stopped them on their 40 with 37 second left, and they had a 4th and 2.

They had just run their QB and Muschamp the bonehead let them run out the clock so we can go to OT and lose.

We had 1 TO left, You call a TO there with 37 second left and make them with go for it or punt.

They go for it and get it they still are not in FG range

They go for it and fail, you get the ball at their 40 and can go make a FG and win.

They punt, you can try and block it and win

They punt, you can try and return and win, you just broke a long punt return on them.

Of course we let the clock run out and kept them from making a tough decision and lost the game in OT 46-39, the defensive genius allowing 46 pts go figure.
He does always seem to be playing for the tie or to put a Band Aid on a bad wound.

Last edited:
I have not lost confidence in Muschamp.

But our high football IQ message board and twitter fanbase lost confidence the moment ESPN told them he couldn't "win" at Florida so he couldn't "win" here. Kind of like when Corso said Spurrier would never win at
South Carolina.

I have not lost confidence in Muschamp.

But our high football IQ message board and twitter fanbase lost confidence the moment ESPN told them he couldn't "win" at Florida so he couldn't "win" here. Kind of like when Corso said Spurrier would never win at
South Carolina.
Something is wrong “with you, Your dome ain’t right on this one. 🧐
tenor.gif

Kentucky game 2017.

It was obvious to anyone paying attention that he was unlikely to be a winner here (or anywhere), but you always hope to win the lottery and that Muschamp would magically figure it out.

He lucked out in a big way beating a good NC State team to start the season, even though they dominated much of the game. But that was a really good NC State team and on a neutral field. They then gutted out a tough road win against Missouri. And then Kentucky. At home. At night. All the momentum in the world. They score a TD on the first offensive play of the game. They pick off Kentucky on the next series. Everything is going right. All the momentum. It’s 4th and 5 from the Kentucky 35 yard line. Muschamp inexplicably calls for a 52 yard field goal attempt, rather than go for it. White misses badly. The game turns, Carolina doesn’t score again until the 4th quarter. They lose.

The day in 2015 I told one of my friends, UF alum, and a great girl, who is as into CFB as anyone I know, that I cannot believe we are hiring him and she deservingly lol’d. Now 5 years later, UF has who I still consider a so-so HC but was #1 at MSU, and consistently fields one of the worst Top 10 teams in the game, but Top 10 just the same. Sounds stupid? Maybe. But those SOS and Irvin Meyers teams would beat Mullen like SOS used to beat UK and Vandy at Florida. All that to say, we have Boom who won 4 games in year 4, 3 actually, because Charleston Baptist doesn’t count, and even if there were no Rona, I see no way 2020 would’ve played out any different. We still wouldn’t have blitzed at LSU on every down.

Kentucky game 2017.

It was obvious to anyone paying attention that he was unlikely to be a winner here (or anywhere), but you always hope to win the lottery and that Muschamp would magically figure it out.

He lucked out in a big way beating a good NC State team to start the season, even though they dominated much of the game. But that was a really good NC State team and on a neutral field. They then gutted out a tough road win against Missouri. And then Kentucky. At home. At night. All the momentum in the world. They score a TD on the first offensive play of the game. They pick off Kentucky on the next series. Everything is going right. All the momentum. It’s 4th and 5 from the Kentucky 35 yard line. Muschamp inexplicably calls for a 52 yard field goal attempt, rather than go for it. White misses badly. The game turns, Carolina doesn’t score again until the 4th quarter. They lose.

We got turnovers on Kentucky's first 2 drives, getting the ball at UK 39 and 38 yards lines, respectively. 0 points. Missed FG on the first possession. Jake threw a pick on the second possession.

Can't add much to what's already been said, so I think I'll go with......a uniform post! 😆

Seriously though, we come off of our most successful run in program history, we really FINALLY have a national brand going - everyone recognizes us particularly from "The Hit" clip played a million times and still played occasionally today. We're recognizable at a glance. "Hey, that's South Carolina. They've been pretty damn good lately." But Muschamp - "Nah, I'm the coach now. Let's change up our look every week so no one recognizes us anymore. The kids will love it!"

I don't have a specific moment, but sometime last season after the Georgia win it became obvious we couldn't beat anyone, couldn't move the ball, couldn't stop the other team late in the game due to the previous point (can't get first downs = can't get your D off the field), but continued to watch our players talk trash after they've been getting whooped all game. Muschamp gets mad at the fans for insinuating that his team is undisciplined. I knew then there was no winning culture here anymore.

Yep. They had a month of preparation to go lay that egg.

is that the bowl where we didn't use our allotment of practices?

also, Bentley was having an ATROCIOUS game, but Muschamp left him in until the bitter end. I've never seen a greater exercise in futility. I doubt Bentley would have made it to halftime under SOS. The kicker is that the game was still within reach.

Muschamp just seems utterly incapable of deviating from the game plan.

also, Bentley was having an ATROCIOUS game, but Muschamp left him in until the bitter end. I've never seen a greater exercise in futility. I doubt Bentley would have made it to halftime under SOS. The kicker is that the game was still within reach.

Coaches say the bowl is important because they get to practice an extra month. Then he doesn't use all of the practice time.

C. I equate it to that of Mike Shula during his tenure at Alabama. No one was bringing him to a college campus as their new head football coach after he was fired there.

Yeah I remember that one. The one where our best player elected to not play, Dowdle dropped the fourth down pass on our first possession ( Rico’s superpower), our D didn’t even try to stop their high-schoolish QB, and the coaching staff (not Muschamp) was letting the players know what they thought of their ”effort” as they came off the field at the half right in front of my wife and me. Shining moment for the warriors, and of course the savvy immediately threw Bentley under the bus, along with Muschamp.

Hiring the guy who got fired from Florida right after a bad Spurrier team won against them made me raise my eyebrow. Like WTF is Ray Tanner doing?!?! But I was optimistic.

When we got blown out by UVA is that bowl game is what did it for me. Then when Ray Tanner extended his contract and gave pay raises after that horrible season made me realize that our issues run deeper then the h/c.

I'll chime in with the Belk Bowl and not even using all the practices. What kind of signal does that send to the players?-HC doesn't care. Why should we?

Look how long he has been involved in FB but it seems he has learned nothing.

Reactions: cockofdawn
A. They day he was Hired
B. The Belk Bowl
C. The Gainesville Meltdown
D. UNC opening Day
E. LSU
F. 2018 UGA Beatdown at Home
H. App State
I. Still have full confidence

Just curious I’m going with C . Well really A but I gave him the benefit of a doubt . Opinions ??
When he lost to GA Southern as UF’s coach.

Reactions: TheReelEss
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT