ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with the first half of the season (basketball)

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
Here's what seems to be coming through from FM and the players after the last 2 wins:

For 4 years we lived and died by Sin Thornwell - and some other talented players.

There's no one on the roster now who is just a natural team leader like him; leadership skills are much more difficult to learn than basketball skills. They have talent, but they didn't know how to lead a team. Silva and Kotsar were/are both projects. Gravett is a transfer from a small school. Those are the upperclassmen.

Finally in the last 2 games we see that leadership emerging. It's going to have to last for this to be a special season.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. All it would take is a couple key injuries to derail the whole improvement so I'm taking one game at a time but I dig it right now. It looks like we have a few guys who play well together so play on my brothers...lol

Reactions: HI Cock
This is some of that rah, rah, coach speak that bugs me-- leadership, heart, yadda, yadda, yadda. Nonsense.

What did they do better in these two games? They shot the ball better from three because they are running more stuff to get open threes for the guy who can actually make them (Gravett). They ran sets that got Gravett and Kotsar more shots. They rebounded way better because they played more zone and didn't switch every pick and role with Silva and Kotsar; also allowed them to protect the rim and block shots.

It's like man that leadership... or, we just ran smarter sets and told two of our three most efficient scores (Gravett and Kotsar) to shoot more. And we stopped playing guys like Hinson, Cudd and Frink who are terrible right now.

This is some of that rah, rah, coach speak that bugs me-- leadership, heart, yadda, yadda, yadda. Nonsense.

What did they do better in these two games? They shot the ball better from three because they are running more stuff to get open threes for the guy who can actually make them (Gravett). They ran sets that got Gravett and Kotsar more shots. They rebounded way better because they played more zone and didn't switch every pick and role with Silva and Kotsar; also allowed them to protect the rim and block shots.

It's like man that leadership... or, we just ran smarter sets and told two of our three most efficient scores (Gravett and Kotsar) to shoot more. And we stopped playing guys like Hinson, Cudd and Frink who are terrible right now.

And also we finally proved that, yes, it is possible to make a layup under the basket.

Not sure if I agree. There have been games where they were getting open shots but none went in. Wasn't there a game we went 0-18 from the 3?
Biggest difference in these 3 games is Silva and Kotsar being more aggressive and attacking the basket. Seems to be giving some confidence to the rest of the team. Would that be considered "leadership"?

We turn the ball over, too damn much. They need to “fix” that. They mentioned “going to fast” in the first half against FL. Slow it down, unless you have an easy fast break lay-up.

Dont disagree with any of your post except we dont have a large enough sample size on Frink. Just hasn't played much. Silva was high on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT