ADVERTISEMENT

THE RPO and Hurry Up Offense

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
What happened when we finally ran a successful RPO on Saturday? Touchdown Shi Smith. When Bentley looked like he was going to take off and run, he hit an open Smith who made a few moves and went in for six. Explain to me why we can't do this more often!?!? When the Bentley was involved in running it the second half, it kept the linebackers home and safeties from crashing down to help make a play.

The hurry up hasn't happened on a consistent basis this year. We can hurry to line, and then it turns into getting the play from the sideline and allowing teams to make substitutions. We had several chances on Saturday to get TAM with too many men on the field, especially when a few plays later Jake threw an interception. I'll rephrase this, we have been running a hurry up offense... run on first, run on second, throw on third... PUNT.

Gotta do something different.

I thought Bentley rarely ran because there was no back up QB that could play well. That wasn't it, was it?

For 3yrs I've heard that we want to go fast - play fast. I haven't seen it (until some this season - and it has been underwhelming). I'd rather simply see some imagination and innovation. Run the O at a normal pace, control the ball and score friggin points!

Reactions: Cocky4SC
For 3yrs I've heard that we want to go fast - play fast. I haven't seen it (until some this season - and it has been underwhelming). I'd rather simply see some imagination and innovation. Run the O at a normal pace, control the ball and score friggin points!

The most taxed person in a true hurry up no huddle is the OC. To get the play going fast, he needs to make his call before the last play is finished. That is not exactly something that I would like to see put onto a first time playcaller. I think because the BMcC never call plays before, he may have underestimated just how quick the decision making needed to be in order to keep that going consistantly

Reactions: 92Pony

I understand the desire for a fast offense for sure. But did see the time of possession Saturday? This offense sucks. Same plays, just faster. We don’t need to go faster. We need to slow down.

Score points? Don't get crazy.

Reactions: 92Pony
RPO is different from Zone-Read. This has been stated many times here.

RPO means there are two plays called and the QB decides which one to go with when he gets to the line of scrimmage. All those runs could go to RBs, or if it's a zone read offense, the qb could stick with the run call and then decide after the play starts to keep it or give it to the rb based on what he sees after the snap.

RPO is mostly before snap. QB could decide on the quick, short throw if defense changes at the snap.

Reactions: rogue cock
RPO is different from Zone-Read. This has been stated many times here.

RPO means there are two plays called and the QB decides which one to go with when he gets to the line of scrimmage. All those runs could go to RBs, or if it's a zone read offense, the qb could stick with the run call and then decide after the play starts to keep it or give it to the rb based on what he sees after the snap.

RPO is mostly before snap. QB could decide on the quick, short throw if defense changes at the snap.
Do you really think this is what RPO means? An audible?

I understand the desire for a fast offense for sure. But did see the time of possession Saturday? This offense sucks. Same plays, just faster. We don’t need to go faster. We need to slow down.

A hurry up offense only works if you can excecute. If you fail to your defense is on the field all day. We have a first time coordinator learning on the go when we should have spent the money to hire a proven OC

Do you really think this is what RPO means? An audible?
RPO is run-pass option...It’s essentially a running play called with the QB ability to read a defense and last minute pull the ball from the RB and pass the ball, that’s why you will see Olinemen get called for being downfield during RPO because they’re blocking for a run play. We brought in Werner for this type of offense and he specialized in using Pro Style QB at Ole Miss.

RPO is run-pass option...It’s essentially a running play called with the QB ability to read a defense and last minute pull the ball from the RB and pass the ball, that’s why you will see Olinemen get called for being downfield during RPO because they’re blocking for a run play. We brought in Werner for this type of offense and he specialized in using Pro Style QB at Ole Miss.
Drives me nuts how many of our fans think it's a call at the LOS based on the pre-snap read. Pretty sure that whole misconception comes from JC.

This is what I keep trying to tell people when they complain Jake never runs in the RPO. The QB won't run unless the play breaks down fast or a block gets missed, or the coverage just isn't what he thought it was.

The OC has to constantly adjust to counteract the strength of the opposition. A&Ms strength this year has been ball control. This was not a game to play up tempo period. We had success with Williams running the ball and then he disappeared. Scar earned another start but we will never see him again either. The defense was gassed by the end. I think we have talent on offense but coaching is the problem and it’s some kind of stubborn philosophy that has zero tolerance of making adjustments if somethings not working. Bentley does not look good and neither does Dowdle. Why have anyone else on the team if you are not going to give them an opportunity to be successful? Good coaching can always find something that works during a game. It’s a constant battle with adjustments and being creative and I do not think this coaching staff has that ability. At least that’s what I am seeing week in and week out. I hope I’m dead wrong but it just doesn’t look like they are up to this task.

When we have go/play fast. It's just a quicker 3 and out. Unless you can control the ball and gain first-downs, playing fast doesn't work.

Reactions: Carolina86
Agree. From my understanding the QB simply reads the Safety and the LB and makes the best decision on what they appear to be doing. It is supposed to simplify a QBs reads.

Agree. From my understanding the QB simply reads the Safety and the LB and makes the best decision on what they appear to be doing. It is supposed to simplify a QBs reads.
Exactly and to bail out of a run play if the the box is overcrowded. I don’t understand why people aren’t understand it’s not read option like Shaw played under Spurrier where you read the DE and have the option for QB run.

Exactly and to bail out of a run play if the the box is overcrowded. I don’t understand why people aren’t understand it’s not read option like Shaw played under Spurrier where you read the DE and have the option for QB run.
Me either. The read-option is basically a modern version of the old veer. Having played in it, there were little pass options in the veer...WRs were additional downfield blockers.

This is what I keep trying to tell people when they complain Jake never runs in the RPO. The QB won't run unless the play breaks down fast or a block gets missed, or the coverage just isn't what he thought it was.
So it's the same as the same as the zone read, except with the option to hand off or pass - instead of hand off or run with the ball?

So it's the same as the same as the zone read, except with the option to hand off or pass - instead of hand off or run with the ball?
No read option the QB is reading the DE, RPO QB is reading safety and LB. Read Option is RB or QB will run...RPO is RB will get the ball unless QB sees an opportunity to exploit the safeties with a pass.

RPO is just an option concept and there are numerous plays that incorporate it. It's really that simple. I don't know why so many people are confounded by this.

Here is a traditional RPO-

Some teams with running QBs can run the zone read play action with an RPO, where the QB knows he isn't handing the ball, carries out the fake and then attacks the edge. If the DB comes off the receiver to help stop the run, he normally has a deep and shallow option for the throw. If the DBs are in man or continue trailing, the QB keeps it for a long gain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT