ADVERTISEMENT

The Snake had a heartwarming story on the Scott family

RockThrillCock

Aug 9, 2005
Rock Hill
you can find a link to read it if you choose. I just wish Brad didn't cut his teeth at USC. It also seems like they tried to hide their douchebaggery by bringing up God and family. Article makes them seem like tha damn Ingalls family.

Reactions: nikolas22
No mention that the reason he got fired was that he ran the program into hell and his infamous being carried off the field. Made it sound like McGee just out of the blue fired him for no reason and with no severance. And it was the effing lead story.

When something bad happens there "oh we don't follow CU." but when something good happens "oh it's news people need to know it."

Pass. Haven't read their bs for about a decade & and half and not about to start now.

I could probably guess half of what they wrote, with the majority casting a negative look on the university. Same ol, same ol.

Reactions: FORKCOCK and NooNoo
Garbage story. Don't remember that cheap toilet paper writing a story saying USC was better off for firing Fat Brad even though a few years later we were a top 20 team with Lou Holtz.

Reactions: nikolas22
Brad Scott sealed his fate with Carolina and it's fans by letting his players carry him on their shoulders after beating his former players. Also his negative recruiting really hurt us. He made his bed with us and I could care less about him or his family. I'm sure the son will end up like the old man, a snake in the grass!

No mention that the reason he got fired was that he ran the program into hell and his infamous being carried off the field. Made it sound like McGee just out of the blue fired him for no reason and with no severance. And it was the effing lead story.

When something bad happens there "oh we don't follow CU." but when something good happens "oh it's news people need to know it."
1. If you knew me, you'd know how rarely I agree with most people's theories of what is biased and what is not.
2. I agree with EVERY WORD of your post.

It wasn't that bad of a story and pretty much told what we already knew. Looking back, the turning point came in the early stages of the 1997 season when we barely beat UCF, lost our ass in Athens and then had two asst. coaches duke it out at the airport after MSU routed us. Not to mention Anthony Wright shattering his knee in Knoxville.

The scandals of the 1998 season SHOULD fall at Brad's feet and their is one certain special teams player whose name makes me want to puke. Spurrier's quitting on us upsets me more than anything the Scotts have accomplished.

Reactions: cocky lady
It wasn't that bad of a story and pretty much told what we already knew. Looking back, the turning point came in the early stages of the 1997 season when we barely beat UCF, lost our ass in Athens and then had two asst. coaches duke it out at the airport after MSU routed us. Not to mention Anthony Wright shattering his knee in Knoxville.

The scandals of the 1998 season SHOULD fall at Brad's feet and their is one certain special teams player whose name makes me want to puke. Spurrier's quitting on us upsets me more than anything the Scotts have accomplished.
What two coaches fought? Lawing I could see. Special teams player?

Reactions: tailgatecock
Brad Scott sealed his fate with Carolina and it's fans by letting his players carry him on their shoulders after beating his former players. Also his negative recruiting really hurt us. He made his bed with us and I could care less about him or his family. I'm sure the son will end up like the old man, a snake in the grass!
I always thought that was very immature of him. A grown man with hurt feelings doing that because his life didn't go as it should have. If I recall his son Jeff scored on a trick play against us and seemed to be angry that was fueled by his own insecurities. I'm not a clinical psychologist but I did go to a Holiday Inn Express

Reactions: cocky4
Just curious - how much less could you care about Brad & family?

Reactions: IrmoRed

Scandals? Special team player? Coaches duking it out? Please give us your sources!

I think Brad Scott is a really good person and probably his family too. He won us our very first bowl game, but he also had, what I believe, was our worst team in history, the 1-10 season. At least there were some competitive games in the 0-11 season. Anyway, it didn't bother me that he went to Climpson after we fired him. He needed a job and his close buddy was the head coach. It just made sense.

Reactions: Jpcooper
I went in one of those bar bathrooms yesterday where they post up the sports page and saw this. I didn't read the text of the story but the layout/appearance of it seemed designed to piss USC fans off...it was like this huge thing that took up 3/4 of the page with headline something like "How Scotts' lives got way better after USC" or something like that. Like I said, didn't read the story so I'm surprised to find some somewhat positive reaction in here. When I saw it I was like wow I can only imagine how mad FGF is haha

I went in one of those bar bathrooms yesterday where they post up the sports page and saw this. I didn't read the text of the story but the layout/appearance of it seemed designed to piss USC fans off...it was like this huge thing that took up 3/4 of the page with headline something like "How Scotts' lives got way better after USC" or something like that. Like I said, didn't read the story so I'm surprised to find some somewhat positive reaction in here. When I saw it I was like wow I can only imagine how mad FGF is haha
They never had talented enough writers to profit with positive articles so they always stuck with negative sensationalism to generate sales.

It seems like if they wanted to sell papers, the would write interview Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, George Rogers, or any of the great players that had great performance on the field during their tenure....Feature aticles on Brad Scott won't sell anything.....

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I think Brad Scott is a really good person and probably his family too. He won us our very first bowl game, but he also had, what I believe, was our worst team in history, the 1-10 season. At least there were some competitive games in the 0-11 season. Anyway, it didn't bother me that he went to Climpson after we fired him. He needed a job and his close buddy was the head coach. It just made sense.

Your credibility on here just hit the all time shitter.

giphy.gif

I've never had any hatred in my heart for Brad Scott. He came along at a time when we really needed some hope and optimism....and excitement! He brought us that. He also brought us record setting offenses and our very first bowl win. He was on a roll....period. Where it all fell apart was with his relationship with Wally Burnham, who I blame just as much as Scott for the sharp decline after a nice spike in the program.

Scott was best friends with Burnham, and it's Burnhams defenses that were getting abused. He complained to Scott that scoring so quickly was the reason for the ineptitude of the defense. Scott changed his FSU quick strike scoring offense, for which we hired him, and went a different more deliberate direction with the offense. This was the beginning of the end.

In my mind it's a case of what could have been. I will agree he did himself no favors for his actions after the firing for sure. Classless.

And someone posted negative about his recruiting, but he actually recruited VERY VERY well. Check out the roster the 2-3 years after his departure and you will see Holtz winning with a cupboard full of Scott's recruits. +

He may have cut his nose off despite his face, but he left us in good shape for a number of years afterwards.

I've never had any hatred in my heart for Brad Scott. He came along at a time when we really needed some hope and optimism....and excitement! He brought us that. He also brought us record setting offenses and our very first bowl win. He was on a roll....period. Where it all fell apart was with his relationship with Wally Burnham, who I blame just as much as Scott for the sharp decline after a nice spike in the program.

Scott was best friends with Burnham, and it's Burnhams defenses that were getting abused. He complained to Scott that scoring so quickly was the reason for the ineptitude of the defense. Scott changed his FSU quick strike scoring offense, for which we hired him, and went a different more deliberate direction with the offense. This was the beginning of the end.

In my mind it's a case of what could have been. I will agree he did himself no favors for his actions after the firing for sure. Classless.

And someone posted negative about his recruiting, but he actually recruited VERY VERY well. Check out the roster the 2-3 years after his departure and you will see Holtz winning with a cupboard full of Scott's recruits. +

He may have cut his nose off despite his face, but he left us in good shape for a number of years afterwards.
He recruited well but many of the top recruits never made in into school or were gone within a year. Burnham might not have been the right hire as DC, but explain your sources in the slowing down of the offense. NEVER heard that one before.

He recruited well but many of the top recruits never made in into school or were gone within a year. Burnham might not have been the right hire as DC, but explain your sources in the slowing down of the offense. NEVER heard that one before.

It was an article in the State Paper at the time.....also on talk radio. Somewhere Scott also spoke about Burnhams request. Think back to the offense and how we went from high flying high scoring to him trying to run a ground oriented clock slowing attack like a fish outta water.

And scroll down the rosters.....the bulk of juniors and seniors Holtz was winning with were recruited by Scott.

I never considered Wally Burnham. What I do remember was that he wanted faster OL and he was bring in kids who were 230 pounds. He did get John Abraham, Jamar Nesbit and A1. His defense had Wally Burnhams son as MLB.

I never considered Wally Burnham. What I do remember was that he wanted faster OL and he was bring in kids who were 230 pounds. He did get John Abraham, Jamar Nesbit and A1. His defense had Wally Burnhams son as MLB.
I remember Wally. He was the only player on that defense who put out a lot of effort. He was the only one who seemed to care if USC won.

I remember Wally. He was the only player on that defense who put out a lot of effort. He was the only one who seemed to care if USC won.

No wonder our defenses of that era sucked if we had a 50+ year old man out there running around on it & he was the only one that cared if we won the game.

Reactions: RockThrillCock
Most of the OL that received so much attention 1998:
Jason Cox
Scott Browne
Phillip Jones
Jamar Nesbit
Melvin Paige
Kevin Johnson
Kevin Rivers

Scott's recruits:
Sheldon Browne
Cecil Caldwell
Kalimba Edwards
Andre Goodman
Marco Hutchison
Jermale Kelly
Antoine Nesmith
Andre Offing
Willie Offord
Anthony Overstreet
Phil Petty
Brian Scott
Carlos Spikes
John Stamper
Zola Davis

Without the recruiting of Scott we don't win Outback Bowls. Once that talent ran out so did Holtz's magic tricks. Most may not like the bittersweet taste Scott left, and that's understandable given some of his actions, but he left us with a wealth of talent we've rarely had then, or since. The guy second guessed himself and that ended up costing him what could have been a great career at Carolina. He brought an innovative offense from FSU and implemented it perfectly to compliment Taneyhill and our WR's.

Is what it is now, I just find it funny how history gets skewed and the facts lost sometimes. It was the best of times, and the worst of times. That's how I choose to remember it.

Reactions: Tas Burfoot
I've never had much of a problem with Brad Scott being head coach here. He didn't hire himself, somebody else made that decision, along with a few other questionable hires and fires in that decade. Obviously Scott was a much better offensive coordinator than a head coach, just like some folks are great position coaches but are terribly unsuccessful coordinators. I think Brad and Jeff are both good guys, and I harbor no hatred for either of them. As for the article, I thought it was well written and I didn't pick up any anti-Gamecock bias in it. But then again, I've never held a grudge toward anyone who beat me in horse, ping-pong or golf twenty years ago either.

Sorry, his sons name was Shane and he is coaching at Rutgers. The team at the time had no heart. If we got down by more than a touchdown we kind of gave up.

Last edited:
Sorry, his sons name was Shane and he is coaching at Rutgers.
Yeah, tks. Had a brain neuron misfire.:) Good for Shane.
I don't think that BS being carried off field was such a big deal. What was he supposed to do? He had a new school he had to be loyal to. I liked the way he talked to team after first being hired at USC. Wish we could have gotten a coach like what'shisname that Ga hired from FSU.

Yeah, tks. Had a brain neuron misfire.:) Good for Shane.
I don't think that BS being carried off field was such a big deal. What was he supposed to do? He had a new school he had to be loyal to. I liked the way he talked to team after first being hired at USC. Wish we could have gotten a coach like what'shisname that Ga hired from FSU.
Most fans had a huge problem with the victory ride, me included.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT