ADVERTISEMENT

The UVA game was the biggest upset of Muschamps career here

robertfootball

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2006
SC
Muschamp has beaten the teams he's supposed to have beaten and lost to better teams here. That ended yesterday, that was the biggest upset of his tenure here by far. That was also the first time we've EVER been shutout in a bowl game. Even during our worst years. So why are we giving raises for that? It can't be about recruiting. I'm all for paying someone what they're worth and giving them a chance, but this thing of throwing our money around like water is bs. Ray spending our money like a drunken sailor because he is scared he might have to do a coaching search again. It's just not good business because with those raises and extensions comes increased expectations. Maybe not from the athletic department but damn sure from the fan base! If you're going to spend our money like that and then lay an egg against Virginia you better have to explanations ready to give!

Muschamp has beaten the teams he's supposed to have beaten and lost to better teams here. That ended yesterday, that was the biggest upset of his tenure here by far. That was also the first time we've EVER been shutout in a bowl game. Even during our worst years. So why are we giving raises for that? It can't be about recruiting. I'm all for paying someone what they're worth and giving them a chance, but this thing of throwing our money around like water is bs. Ray spending our money like a drunken sailor because he is scared he might have to do a coaching search again. It's just not good business because with those raises and extensions comes increased expectations. Maybe not from the athletic department but damn sure from the fan base! If you're going to spend our money like that and then lay an egg against Virginia you better have to explanations ready to give!
It was a strange game. Played good against Clemson in a hostile environment but really bad against UVA. It honestly looked like they had not practiced at all and didn’t want to be there.

Reactions: gamecockblack
It was a strange game. Played good against Clemson in a hostile environment but really bad against UVA. It honestly looked like they had not practiced at all and didn’t want to be there.
Which was even more weird because we always play well in Charlotte and the weather was great. Plus it's a decent bowl for a lower bowl. I know we didn't practice but a handful of times while the UVA coach said they'd practiced a ton.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Er, aren't you forgetting the Gators' loss to GEORGIA SOUTHERN at home? That was the final nail in his coffin. Muschamp is an absolute disaster as a HC, wherever he hangs his hat. I'll just have to find another hobby, because college football under this coaching staff is too painful to follow.

Which was even more weird because we always play well in Charlotte and the weather was great. Plus it's a decent bowl for a lower bowl. I know we didn't practice but a handful of times while the UVA coach said they'd practiced a ton.
Why would they only practice a few times.....that's maybe the biggest benefit of receiving a bowl bid...extra practice time. That can't be true

Why would they only practice a few times.....that's maybe the biggest benefit of receiving a bowl bid...extra practice time. That can't be true
It's true. Muschamp even admitted it. They had 2 weeks off for exams and 4 lifts, then they practiced 4 times here, took off the 24 and 25 while UVA said they'd practiced those days, and then practiced TWICE in Charlotte. I don't count the two bs walk-throughs they did Friday because those are useless and not actual practices.

It's true. Muschamp even admitted it. They had 2 weeks off for exams and 4 lifts, then they practiced 4 times here, took off the 24 and 25 while UVA said they'd practiced those days, and then practiced TWICE in Charlotte. I don't count the two bs walk-throughs they did Friday because those are useless and not actual practices.

That is a coach that does not care or feels he has to win in order to keep his job. Herd a quote from Muschamp ...something to the effect..."Did not want to practice much because it is supposed to be a reward and if we practice all that time it will seem like a punishment."

Amazing the crap we put up with here...just another one for the record books. I always enjoyed practice...not all practices but overall I loved to play the game. If we got a team that does not like to play and really this is just something to do....well imo that is a huge problem and I will not support that. I seriously would rather watch a bunch of kids with little talent but try hard than to watch another down of spoiled brats that do not care a whip about winning.

I am a Gamecock and grad who has lived in Virginia for about 20 years. I feel that some people on this board think that just because we are in the SEC that automatically we are going to stomp any ACC opponent. I thought the game would be a toss up. I did not think that we were going to waltz into Charlotte and beat them 50 to 0. I knew that they had a very talented, fast, and quick QB. Maybe the best duel threat QB we have faced all year. He had a 1,000 yds rushing and a 1,000 yds passing in the same year. I thought that he might test our struggling defense. UVA has had about two coaching failures in a row before Mendenhal. So, everyone thinks that they are regular door mats. Before the last two UVA coaches, they had a winning coach in George Welch. He won some good games during his tenure there. The state of Virginia produces many good athletes. It is a bigger state than SC in population and probably produces more D1 football players than SC in most years. I don't know that for sure. But they produce enough to win with. In years past, many went to VT or other places like Ohio State, UCLA, Florida and many other lesser big name programs. Certainly their recruiting hasn't been as good as ours in terms of stars. But obviously they have some studs. They are well-coach and appeared to be on the way up. I frankly thought and said that they might score 28 points against us, but I also thought and said that we would score more, like 42 or 35 and still win. Our D did its job but our O didn't in my opinion. If we want to understand what happened in that game, we need to understand the context. UVA played NC State tough but still lost. They should have beaten VT but may some big errors at the beginning of the game and let VT go up 14-0 early. But they fought back and should have won in regulation at Blacksburg in front of a hostile crowd. But lost in OT. The question is what happened to our offense. We got carried away with our scoring at Clemson and somehow thought that we were going to score at will against UVA. It didn't work out that way.

We managed to beat UNC, which was a divisional champ the year we were 3 and 9. Other than clemron we have dominated the ACC in recent years.

You mean 3 year career! We really need 5 years to judge or build a program especially what was left here.

I’m starting to wonder if it was more of Clemson having a bad game, than it was us playing a good one. Our last two outings since then have been below average.

You mean 3 year career! We really need 5 years to judge or build a program especially what was left here.

I am absolutely sick of hearing this COMPLETE BS!!!!! When a coach cannot beat freakin' Kentucky....YOU DO NOT NEED 5 freakin' years to figure it out!!!

Ray is dumber than a bag of hammers and needs to be fired.
Champ is a pathetic excuse for a coach and needs to be fired.

Immediately.

And while I'm at it, Deebo DID quit, I don't give a damn what the sunshine apologists say. THEY are the reason we're in this mess. The sunshine pumping apologists are for the most part....snowflake morons.

Reactions: ccotney and Zann77
I’m starting to wonder if it was more of Clemson having a bad game, than it was us playing a good one. Our last two outings since then have been below average.

So basically we woke Clemson up to their secondary woes and went to sleep thinking our offense was hotshit after the rivalry game? You may have a point.

I am a Gamecock and grad who has lived in Virginia for about 20 years. I feel that some people on this board think that just because we are in the SEC that automatically we are going to stomp any ACC opponent. I thought the game would be a toss up. I did not think that we were going to waltz into Charlotte and beat them 50 to 0. I knew that they had a very talented, fast, and quick QB. Maybe the best duel threat QB we have faced all year. He had a 1,000 yds rushing and a 1,000 yds passing in the same year. I thought that he might test our struggling defense. UVA has had about two coaching failures in a row before Mendenhal. So, everyone thinks that they are regular door mats. Before the last two UVA coaches, they had a winning coach in George Welch. He won some good games during his tenure there. The state of Virginia produces many good athletes. It is a bigger state than SC in population and probably produces more D1 football players than SC in most years. I don't know that for sure. But they produce enough to win with. In years past, many went to VT or other places like Ohio State, UCLA, Florida and many other lesser big name programs. Certainly their recruiting hasn't been as good as ours in terms of stars. But obviously they have some studs. They are well-coach and appeared to be on the way up. I frankly thought and said that they might score 28 points against us, but I also thought and said that we would score more, like 42 or 35 and still win. Our D did its job but our O didn't in my opinion. If we want to understand what happened in that game, we need to understand the context. UVA played NC State tough but still lost. They should have beaten VT but may some big errors at the beginning of the game and let VT go up 14-0 early. But they fought back and should have won in regulation at Blacksburg in front of a hostile crowd. But lost in OT. The question is what happened to our offense. We got carried away with our scoring at Clemson and somehow thought that we were going to score at will against UVA. It didn't work out that way.
I said last week I was concerned about the layoff and it showed. I can deal with the losing but I have a hard time with not doing everything in our power not to lose. Uva played hard and kicked out buttocks but not scratching the scoreboard has nothing to do with being in the SEC and looking down it has everything to do with not being prepared for the game or during the game. Our own bonehead calls set the tone for defeat and not showing them a different look at QB was silly. Uva was prepared they knew we would throw the ball or bust.

Did BMc's raise come before or after the Akron game? He's either scored 28 points in 6 quarters or 0 points in 6 quarters.

We're going to need to find a billionaire sugar daddy to finance all the firings that need to be done around here.

I said last week I was concerned about the layoff and it showed. I can deal with the losing but I have a hard time with not doing everything in our power not to lose. Uva played hard and kicked out buttocks but not scratching the scoreboard has nothing to do with being in the SEC and looking down it has everything to do with not being prepared for the game or during the game. Our own bonehead calls set the tone for defeat and not showing them a different look at QB was silly. Uva was prepared they knew we would throw the ball or bust.
Did UVA not have a longer layoff than we did?

That is a coach that does not care or feels he has to win in order to keep his job. Herd a quote from Muschamp ...something to the effect..."Did not want to practice much because it is supposed to be a reward and if we practice all that time it will seem like a punishment."

Amazing the crap we put up with here...just another one for the record books. I always enjoyed practice...not all practices but overall I loved to play the game. If we got a team that does not like to play and really this is just something to do....well imo that is a huge problem and I will not support that. I seriously would rather watch a bunch of kids with little talent but try hard than to watch another down of spoiled brats that do not care a whip about winning.

This is it. He understands that Ray Tanner is comfortable with just showing up. I would love to see what Muschamp could do with a real AD who demands performance.

Well, they got a reward, all right - a goose egg.

Did our game with Akron not come after their final game? That's what I meant.
I'm not sure but we can't have the crap we had this weekend and Boom's obsession with Bentley. He can't, by logic, be the best we have to offer. There ain't a big demand for nice guys at QB if you want to be a good coach. I saw the spring game like everybody else and Scar was better there too not to mention Urich, hell we ain't blind. This was a what was he thinking game and
I'm giving myself a headache..lol

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT