ADVERTISEMENT

These quotes by Satterfield on the OL worry me....

MTsumner92

Jul 31, 2005
“The one thing they have to improve on, like any offensive line on this planet in college football, is pass protection,” Satterfield said, “especially with the way we throw the ball and the different launch points by the quarterback.”

Last season the Gamecocks were the third-worst in the SEC in pressures allowed (124) and last in pressure rate (pressures per drop back) at 35.8 percent.

Satterfield said protection this spring hasn’t been bad, and sometimes what looks like bad protection could stem from quarterback play.

Also see: Breaking down in-state recruiting in the 2022 class

“I’m not down on their pass protection. I think they’ve done an excellent job. They’re protecting young quarterbacks who aren’t always where they’re supposed to be,” Satterfield said. “Sometimes if you were watching from a spaceship you’d think they weren’t protecting that well, but it’s on us as quarterbacks getting in and out of the pocket. It’s on us and not on them.”

South Carolina loses Hutcherson but returns six players who started at least one game last season, including three—Dylan Wonnum, Jovaughn Gwyn and Eric Douglas—who started every game.

Replacing Hutcherson at left guard will be a top priority—Jaylen Nichols took first team reps there this spring—but Satterfield likes the direction things are going.

Also see: Gamecocks could get a visit from a three-star forward soon

“I like their physicality. You can depend on our O-line. They’re going to show up and they’re going to practice. They’re tough guys, mentally and physically,” he said.

“I really, really, really like the direction coach Adkins has them going. I think we have seven or eight guys who are on or above the line in this league and I think they’re going to allow us, along with those running backs, to protect the young quarterbacks early on.”

Here is what he is really saying with a little humor.

Quote 1: Our tackles still suck at pass blocking and we are hoping someone will emerge.

Quote 2: Our tackles can't pass block because the quarterback moves around in the pocket. Damn him! He should just stay in the pocket and take the hit like a man!

Quote 3: Our tackles are going to show up and practice. Well thank God. I was so worried about that.

Quote 4: We have seven or eight interior lineman that can pass block so we are going to get the tackles some help from running backs, tight ends, receivers, and maybe the OL coach can put the pads on and help!

Looks like Wolf failed at recruiting the necessary athletes we need to pass block. Didn't he take pride in recruiting athletes because they could play multiple positions? Yeah that worked....not.

Our TE's and running backs didn't help much on the blocking front last year. I hope the coaches put the number of snaps based on their blocking because it was abysmal.

Satterfield is trying to put a smiley face on this but I see right through it. Don't worry coach....we already know. I won't be surprised if we start two true freshman at tackle in 2022.

Quote 2: Our tackles can't pass block because the quarterback moves around in the pocket. Damn him! He should just stay in the pocket and take the hit like a man!

Had to laugh at this one because it reminds me of Taj Boyd against us. Instead of simply stepping up in the pocket, he'd usually run right or left right into the waiting arms of Ingram, Clowney or Taylor.

There is something to both of those things. Adkins can’t fix the years of poor coaching the oline has received in a few weeks and Doty isn’t going to learn pocket presence overnight. People love a mobile QB when they escape pressure but also fuss when they create pressure because they create artificial pressure by running into a sack.

There is something to both of those things. Adkins can’t fix the years of poor coaching the oline has received in a few weeks and Doty isn’t going to learn pocket presence overnight. People love a mobile QB when they escape pressure but also fuss when they create pressure because they create artificial pressure by running into a sack.
This is a good point good pocket presence can create and save a lot of plays. Something Hill was terrible at

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT