ADVERTISEMENT

This isn't an sec program

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcidcockfan

Dec 2, 2020
You morons who thought this would be better than Jaime Chadwell I'd just just to laugh at all of you. Especially you so-called "insiders". You guys no nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Well, at one point in our game, the announcers said it looked like UGA was running on UAB.

Also, at another point, the announcers felt it necessary to instruct our offensive staff and players on air about how to properly get play calls relayed in.

Well, at one point in our game, the announcers said it looked like UGA was running on UAB.

Also, at another point, the announcers felt it necessary to instruct our offensive staff and players on air about how to properly get play calls relayed in.
This is what you get when a baseball AD is placed in charge of a football program.

This is what you get when a baseball AD is placed in charge of a football program.
I want to explain that my intention was not to take a shot at Ray Tanner. I have never met him, but I am confident he is a great person to know. I fully appreciate what he did for the baseball program, and most of all USC.

I do not blame Coach Tanner for taking the AD job when it was offered. The problem is he didn't know what he does not know. I blame those who took an outstanding baseball coach away from the baseball program, and put him in charge of so much more than baseball.

USC needs a person with an in-depth knowledge of football to be the person making the football decisions. Picking a man who just crashed Florida's football program to replace Coach Spurrier was terrible. When a football program is run into the ground by a bad coaching hire it is not an easy fix. In comparison, It is close to receiving a major probation penalty back in the days when the NCAA used to care about teams following the rules.

Our next hire to repair this damaged program is a terrific Guy, but he has zero head coaching experience. An unnecessary huge risk was taken by hiring a guy who has never been a head coach. Maybe he will be a fantastic head coach, but we have nothing to base that on. If Coach Beamer can't build this program it will require more years for the next person to correct the mistakes. Does this sound like intelligent decision making concerning the football program to you?

I want to explain that my intention was not to take a shot at Ray Tanner. I have never met him, but I am confident he is a great person to know. I fully appreciate what he did for the baseball program, and most of all USC.

I do not blame Coach Tanner for taking the AD job when it was offered. The problem is he didn't know what he does not know. I blame those who took an outstanding baseball coach away from the baseball program, and put him in charge of so much more than baseball.

USC needs a person with an in-depth knowledge of football to be the person making the football decisions. Picking a man who just crashed Florida's football program to replace Coach Spurrier was terrible. When a football program is run into the ground by a bad coaching hire it is not an easy fix. In comparison, It is close to receiving a major probation penalty back in the days when the NCAA used to care about teams following the rules.

Our next hire to repair this damaged program is a terrific Guy, but he has zero head coaching experience. An unnecessary huge risk was taken by hiring a guy who has never been a head coach. Maybe he will be a fantastic head coach, but we have nothing to base that on. If Coach Beamer can't build this program it will require more years for the next person to correct the mistakes. Does this sound like intelligent decision making concerning the football program to you?
I love Ray but think we need a professional athletic director. That said, it wasn't his call to hire Shane. Not saying he didn't think it was a good idea, he may have. No idea. But Ray didn't make this hire.

This^^^^^^

The AD is not relevant right now. As well as making any kind of final assumption on this coaching after a game against the #2 team at their home for a night game. We are 2-1 with a lot of winnable games ahead.

I love Ray but think we need a professional athletic director. That said, it wasn't his call to hire Shane. Not saying he didn't think it was a good idea, he may have. No idea. But Ray didn't make this hire.
If the AD did not hire SB, then who the hell did? Ive heard this several times and no one answers who is hiring the coach.

The AD is not relevant right now. As well as making any kind of final assumption on this coaching after a game against the #2 team at their home for a night game. We are 2-1 with a lot of winnable games ahead.
Are you suggesting the AD no longer has any say about football matters? Please explain to us why is the AD not relevant?

Do you have inside knowledge? If Coach Tanner did not make this hire tell us who did.
If the AD did not hire SB, then who the hell did? Ive heard this several times and no one answers who is hiring the coach.
I agree with you. This is not the first time someone on this board has said the AD did not hire Beamer. I find that difficult to believe. Many of us would like to know who is making these football decisions. If it is not the Athletic Director, who is it? If people above Tanner are not allowing him to run the program, then why not replace him with a significantly more experienced Athletic Director?

Buffalo has been a better program than ECU the last few years. Not sure Carolina could win at Buffalo
I know SC fans are a bit beaten down psychologically from the Muschamp years, but Buffalo hasn't had a 4-star recruit basically ever, at least as far back as I could easily check. The talent gap between SC and Buffalo is very wide.

I know SC fans are a bit beaten down psychologically from the Muschamp years, but Buffalo hasn't had a 4-star recruit basically ever, at least as far back as I could easily check. The talent gap between SC and Buffalo is very wide.
Do not put too much faith in recruit ratings. There is much more to recruits than how many starts a recruiting service assigns to them. Did you know the NFL drafted more G5 players than Alabama players in the first four rounds last April? Cincinnati is a G5 program and ranked 8th in the nation. They average about one 4 star recruit per class.

We've got 6 years (minimum they will give Beamer) to see if he can grow into a top head coach and hire a top staff and recruit great players.

For this season, the UK game is pivotal.

Reactions: 81 Alumnus
Joe Rice and Mack Whittle and some other donors and trustees. Again, not saying Ray wasn't all for it. No idea one way or the other.

The talent gap between us and App State is also very large. I would not have wanted to play them last year nor this year.

yikes-gif-04.gif

The talent gap between us and App State is also very large. I would not have wanted to play them last year nor this year.
App State lost to Marshall and Louisiana, so I don't know why you would be scared. Even disastrous last year, SC beat No.15 Auburn. App State didn't beat anyone and had weak, weak teams score lots of points on them.

Do not put too much faith in recruit ratings. There is much more to recruits than how many starts a recruiting service assigns to them. Did you know the NFL drafted more G5 players than Alabama players in the first four rounds last April? Cincinnati is a G5 program and ranked 8th in the nation. They average about one 4 star recruit per class.
How many G5 programs are there? and you are comparing that to a single team? Being a five star doesn't guarantee success but a 5-star is like 100 times more likely to be a first round pick than a 2-star. Lots of articles and analysis written on this. Talent matters, it is why the same teams like Alabama win so much.

How many G5 programs are there? and you are comparing that to a single team? Being a five star doesn't guarantee success but a 5-star is like 100 times more likely to be a first round pick than a 2-star. Lots of articles and analysis written on this. Talent matters, it is why the same teams like Alabama win so much.
There are outstanding players every year that are overlooked by recruiting services and P5 programs. They become outstanding players for a G5 program. The NFL scouts them and decides if they are a better talent than what they have seen at most P5 schools.
You can not go wrong signing a lot of 4 and 5 star players, but no more than a dozen teams are able to do this year after year. If your recruiting class ranking is below the top 12 it does not guarantee success against a class ranked much lower.

The next game is always pivotal.
I guess I should explain what I mean. In my opinion, we have to bounce back after a beating like we had Saturday in the very next game. If we don't bounce back and the loss lingers it has a mental effect and a team can lose confidence. As the season goes on It becomes more difficult to bring a team back mentally. In particular, the offense has to fix their issues if they want to become a good team.

I've posted the article about this three times this year. Everyone assumes the AD does the major hiring and firing but that is not the case.

In most athletics department the AD does not do the hiring and firing. This is done by the President or Board of trustees or other body in-bedded in politics/donors. This is why you see so many "search firms" hired for the process and they do more than just vet potential candidates. This is also why you often the President of the University also fired when there is a scandal. The main types of AD's you're going to see are (1) rubber chicken circuit folks (Tanner, King Dixon) or guys who are pure administrators. You're less likely to see guys with a strong sport-specific background who runs the AD program like a mafia head (Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin) and in those situations you need a very experienced Associate AD to actually run the day-to-day operations.

I believe Tanner is a rubber chicken AD who is in charge of the administering the athletic department (facilities, admin personnel, media, etc.). Will we ever know for sure? Probably not because why would they want you to know. However, if the basketball situation this year wasn't a good indicator to you that the Board of Trustees runs things then I don't know what is...

So, you guys can keep whining about Tanner all you want but until someone actually questions how things really run at USC, it's never going to change because any Tanner replacement will have the same authority-level. Want to bitch about doo doo ice, gate access, electronic tickets - complain to Tanner; bitch about the coaches then you better have an in with the Governor or the Board.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT