ADVERTISEMENT

This weird aberration of Kentucky beating us needs to come to an end

ff921.jpg

@HoptownCat93 "I'm hoping I didn't come across as arrogant...just wanted to make a point with just the numbers. Your program really isn't on another level than ours...it's not. Now if this was 2011 or 2012, you guys could make that case but times have changed as you all didn't take that step after you 3 year run. There's a separation in the SEC East with Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee. Mizzou, SC, UK, and Vandy all are fighting in that next tier...SC has been generally the best out of that tier...but you are closer to UK than you are a Georgia."
Yep, it's time we GCs faced reality. We and Ky are close. At least neither of us is Vandy. Altho whatshisname(PSU coach)turned Vandy into a winner. Wish USC could have hired him. He just proves that with the right coach a school can be a winner. Struck gold with Lou and SS. Now I hope we aren't in Richard Bell Brad Scott territory.

remind me more of Ohio people than southerners.

a couple hillbillies in the back of a pickup truck

So, these “Ohio people” were also “hillbillies in the back of a pickup truck” who exhibited a Southern accent in reference to “basketbawl.”

Understood.

I have fired off an e-mail to our AD to keep an eye out for redneck truck driving hillbillies from Ohio exhibiting a clear Southern accent!!!!

Vandy will be tougher than UK.

Yes . . .

Yes . . .

Keep watching the shiny medallion swinging in front of you . . . .

You are feeling very sleepy . . . .

Kentucky will be no competition . . . .

Kentucky is South Carolina’s easiest win on the schedule . . . .

Your arms feel weightless by your side . . . .

It is only Kentucky . . . .

They lost all their talent and we won’t miss Deebo . . . .

Yes, yessss, you are very relaxed and at total peace . . . .

And you will have no memories of these words until mid-4th quarter of the Kentucky game . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneinSarasota
I would concede 2 of the 5 games we got whooped.

2017 (Deebo hurt early... already had 122 yards) We were set to dominate this game and every conceivable 'ball' bounced Kentucky's way.

2016 both teams were extremely extremely bad... we just happen to be much worse that game.

2014 Dylan was a great QB but had his worse game of the year. 3 Interceptions and our horrible defense couldn't keep us on top. Total yards for the game was 500 USC, 447 Kentucky. We were up 38 24 with 8:06 when Jojo Kemp shows how gassed our defense was. (and horrible play calling at the end)
I totally agree. All three of those games should have been wins.

He also replaced our college fight song with a Broadway show tune. Fitting that a dude with a losing record got to ruin our fight song.

Second only to the hiring of Brad Scott as worst decision in our program's history.
Dietzel did the same at LSU with a broadway tune as their fight song.. Their fans, unlike some of our whiny ass fans, like theirs

You lost me at the East is UGA, UF, and UT, and everyone else, this isn’t 1993. UT, and UF suck, but we made UF look awesome, so if you wanna crown ‘em, CROWN ‘EM!! But we let ‘EM OFF THE HOOK!! As for the sorry arse Vols, who would’ve thought that Boom would be 3-0 against them, and 0-3 against the hoops school?

RIP Denny Green, you were awesome

\\
You lost me at the East is UGA, UF, and UT, and everyone else, this isn’t 1993. UT, and UF suck, but we made UF look awesome, so if you wanna crown ‘em, CROWN ‘EM!! But we let ‘EM OFF THE HOOK!! As for the sorry arse Vols, who would’ve thought that Boom would be 3-0 against them, and 0-3 against the hoops school?

RIP Denny Green, you were awesome
Ehhh

Tennessee has 4 Division titles since 2000 and a national title in the last 20 years. 52 Bowl games all time. Still consistently drawing 90-100k fans and top recruiting classes every year. They're a diminished power. But still a power program. Not as relevant nationally as an elite power....but still a big name and program.

And don't make me laugh about UF being bad. 2 National titles in the last 13 seasons. They've been to 3 BCS/NY6 bowls since Urban Meyer left. Heck, they've won 3 Division titles since you all won your only one ever. And now..coming off a top 10 finish in a NY6 Bowl with a great coach...yeah they're back.

It was only a "weird aberration" the first year of this ignoble streak. The last four years, they have physically manhandled us. They have played tough, hard-nosed football. Our team has acted like our fans. They expect the win just by showing up because the opponent is "just Kentucky."

We will get it when we want it more than them and put forth the physical effort at ALL positions. That said, Brandon Snell has owned us in the red zone.
Who is Brandon Snell ? Maybe Benny Snell

The dynamics have shifted. Our fans turning up our noses at UK and treating them with disregard is like UT fans doing the same to us. Yes, UT absolutely dominated us in every way imaginable through 2004. Since then, we lead the series 8-6. That's 14 years of more or less being evenly matched. 14 years isn't a fluke.

No matter how the game with UK turns out this year, they will win the decade either 7-3 or 6-4.
The crazy thing about comparing common opponents in this scenario is that UK has only beaten UT twice since 1984. Even in this five year 5-0 run against USC, UK is 1-4 vs UT and UF, 0-5 vs UGA, and 4-1 against Mizzou and Vandy. Looks to me like UK has quietly and firmly put themselves into the middle echelon of the SEC East. It remains to be seen what happens going forward....

The crazy thing about comparing common opponents in this scenario is that UK has only beaten UT twice since 1984. Even in this five year 5-0 run against USC, UK is 1-4 vs UT and UF, 0-5 vs UGA, and 4-1 against Mizzou and Vandy. Looks to me like UK has quietly and firmly put themselves into the middle echelon of the SEC East. It remains to be seen what happens going forward....
2-3 against Miss State (permanent rival)
0-5 in the rotating game (@LSU, Auburn, @Bama, Ole Miss, @A&M)

So we've made it into the middle class, but we don't have the BIG win against Georgia or a top notch West team. Wins on the road agains #11 Louisville in 2016 and Florida who finished top 10 this year were good wins.

We've slowly moved past the being scared of the logo on the helmet. Spurrier moved you guys past that during his time. We finally aren't scared of Florida and Tennessee...we know we can beat them now. Georgia and the other big dogs are still the next fish.

I think we've moved into the territory where everyone has to take us seriously...but the elite of the elite teams still just overpower us as a program.

Losing to KY is not acceptable. It’ll get you FIRED at just about every SEC school, with the exception of Vanderbilt. If Muschamp loses to KY 5 times, he’s toast. Gamecocks frequently recruit classes ranked in the low top twenty. UK’s classes avg. mid 30’s. That’s a gap my friend. Hats off to the Cats winning the last few. But it’s not going to be allowed to continue. That kind of crap will not be permitted to continue. We will right the ship this year, or find a new skipper.

UK's classes are not averaging mid 30s over last five years. They're averaging in the high 20s (not that I feel that makes a gigantic difference). But, I agree that USC recruiting rankings are almost always a bit higher than UK.

I tend to think your view of UK in football is similar to the view that many UK fans have about schools like Florida and Auburn in basketball. Poor history, so UK fans seem to think that they're entitled to a win over those schools every year. Newsflash, UF is not the UF that was coached by the football coach in the 60s and 70s. They now have recent success, including final fours and national titles. Schools like Auburn have HORRIBLE history, but they're now formidable with a coach like Pearl at the helm and won the SEC tourney and made the final four last year. In short, these aren't your granddaddy's Wildcats, but I'm sure many other fanbases would feel the same way you do if they lost 5 straight to UK.

I gotta ask. Have you seen both ours and theirs? I have. SC blows them away in facilities. I will say thank goodness KY finally remodeled that erector set of a stadium. It’s actually better than Vandy’s now.

When is the last time you were at UK? UK has top 15 facilities nationally. This isn't fanboy talk, it's objectively true. I know South Carolina has great facilities too, but UK's now compete with anyone.

Jojo “I’m tired coach” Kemp. Dude actually wanted to come out and the coaches told him to keep going.

What irked me last year was Kentucky seemed more motivated by the “no respect” angle than our guys at the “got whipped 4 yrs straight” angle.

Agreed. It's odd to UK's program that South Carolina and Tennessee get so much preseason love nearly every year while UK either consistently wins the head-to-head (USC) or finishes higher in the standings (UT) more often than not. Looks to be more of the same this year with USC predicted to finish 4th and UK to finish 6th.

Let's see if the facts hold up to the streak being an aberration.

My opinion? We're pretty much close as programs...you all are slightly ahead all-time. Steve Spurrier owned us...Mark Stoops owns you....those are the aberrations.

The series is 16-11 if you only include 1992 on when you joined the SEC (It was 1-1-1 pre SEC, so no one is hurt)
If you take just Spurrier coached games out..it's 8-8
If you take just Stoops coached games out...it's 15-6
If you take both of those guys out...you guys lead 8-5

Lets compare all time stuff..

-SC has a .513 winning % and has been to 23 bowls. 9 Bowl Wins
-UK has a .498 winning % and has been to 18 bowls. 9 Bowl Wins
-UK claims 1 national title in 1950. 2 SEC titles (1950 and 1976). No SEC East titles
-SC has no title claims. 1 ACC title in 1969. 1 SEC East title in 2010.
-Neither program has ever spent a week at #1 in the AP Poll.

SC is slightly better on results...although we've been in the SEC since the founding and before divisions when we had to play everyone. But...the slight edge for you all is due to that run of 3 10-win years more recently with the SEC East title.

Talent?
-UK has 11 consensus All-Americans. 15 1st round picks to 197 total. No Heisman winner
-SC has 4 consensus All-Ameircans. 13 1st round picks to 200 total. 1 Heisman winner.

Pretty much similar talent production...the draft picks all-time are almost dead even.

So pretty much...it isn't an aberration. We are close programs...you all are slightly better. If anything, the Spurrier years were an aberration. You guys had an all-time coaching legend. Your results were sky high. You also had the luxury of 2011-13 of a Muschamp Florida and a Dooley Tennessee...combined with you guys having a guys like Spurrier.

Your record the last 5 years has been what it's historically been...just a little above .500. Stoops' record at Kentucky has been historically close to the all-time Kentucky record...hovering around .500

Losing to us 5 in a row may be an aberration...but after a stretch of 13-1 against you guys...this streak actually is moving more towards the law of averages and regressing back to normal.

The 13 out of 14 was more of an aberration...considering it engulfed our period of probation and then the 3 years and aftermath of our worst coach ever (saying a lot for us)...and it coincided with you guys having not 1...but 2 Hall of Fame (national title winning) coaches in your program.

I'm hoping I didn't come across as arrogant...just wanted to make a point with just the numbers. Your program really isn't on another level than ours...it's not. Now if this was 2011 or 2012, you guys could make that case but times have changed as you all didn't take that step after you 3 year run. There's a separation in the SEC East with Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee. Mizzou, SC, UK, and Vandy all are fighting in that next tier...SC has been generally the best out of that tier...but you are closer to UK than you are a Georgia.

Good post. My only addition is that USC also owned UK during the HOltz era. UK drubbed him pretty good in the first miserable year of the Holtz regime, but Holtz never lost to UK again despite some close shaves (a memorable one is when UK led a miserable game 7-6 in Lexington for most of the night but USC scores a late TD to win 12-7).

Reactions: The-Hack
Amen. I have an unusual hatred for Kentucky that actually surpasses pretty much any other team in the SEC believe it or not. Stems from a road trip there in 1997 where they were ahead early, but we came back and stomped their asses, mainly on the back (legs) of Duce. They were a bunch of assholes and remind me more of Ohio people than southerners.

Favorite part of that trip was a couple hillbillies in the back of a pickup truck after the game cussing at us and yelling "wait till roundbawl!!" I always wondered what they were doing when we took them down on senior day in Rupp to take the SEC in "roundbawl" that year.

1uelsn.jpg

KY's continued success might produce CWM's pink slip. I've been wanting to believe in Muschamp as each of the past three seasons progressed...until the Kensucky loss. After the loss, I'm tuning in to the games (can't help myself), but I'm not expecting much from that point forward. The UK losses totally SUCK the wind out of my sail. If we lose again this year--I'll be ready for a change. Compare the recruiting and the football facilities. No good excuse for this to keep happening!

tumblr_opjn6a8rYk1qhxazgo1_500.png

Five years ago when we owned Kentucky, it was easy to see our program ahead of theirs. That is no longer the case. Take the garnet glasses off if you don`t think they can come in here in September and beat us. Mark Stoops was almost shown the door in his earlier years there, but got his team to play tough and ran the ball down our throats. Now their fans believe he is the real deal. We will see.I do believe our defense will be much improved and with our talent and depth up front we should be much better at stopping the run game.Injuries and lack of depth on that side of the ball was a recipe for disaster last year. Looking forward to this game as much as any we play.

2017 (Deebo hurt early... already had 122 yards) We were set to dominate this game and every conceivable 'ball' bounced Kentucky's way.

This is another misconception. Deebo, who was absolutely a blast to watch play, went down with two and a half minutes left in the third quarter and Kentucky leading 17-6. It was neither early, nor a game SC “was set to dominate.”

It was only a "weird aberration" the first year of this ignoble streak. The last four years, they have physically manhandled us. They have played tough, hard-nosed football. Our team has acted like our fans. They expect the win just by showing up because the opponent is "just Kentucky."

We will get it when we want it more than them and put forth the physical effort at ALL positions. That said, Brandon Snell has owned us in the red zone.
Actually the attitudes of the fans washes over to the players. The past several years they ( Kentucky) have shown up with the attitude that they were going to be the more physical team. It has been like we are surprised by it. You can see it in every one on one on the field They want it more it appears. I’m not saying they do but by halftime we were still looking around like somebody do something. They tackled with bad intentions. They blocked with bad intentions and they ran with bad intentions. What did Mike Tyson day? Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. In the first quarter their goal is to punch us in the face. We have not been ready for a war. We can say oh it’s only Kentucky and this streak will continue until we are ready to punch back with even more bad intention.

This is another misconception. Deebo, who was absolutely a blast to watch play, went down with two and a half minutes left in the third quarter and Kentucky leading 17-6. It was neither early, nor a game SC “was set to dominate.”

Be careful bringing facts to an excuse party around here...they’ll mob you lol

You are a serious tool. A tater coming on a Gamecock board and then whining about content.

KY's continued success might produce CWM's pink slip. I've been wanting to believe in Muschamp as each of the past three seasons progressed...until the Kensucky loss. After the loss, I'm tuning in to the games (can't help myself), but I'm not expecting much from that point forward. The UK losses totally SUCK the wind out of my sail. If we lose again this year--I'll be ready for a change. Compare the recruiting and the football facilities. No good excuse for this to keep happening!

Totally agree . A loss at home this year is totally unacceptable. Don’t think Muschamp is going anywhere regardless of what happens this season but it will sure make my Fishing Vs Watching the Game on Sat decision a heck of a lot easier this fall . Didn’t miss many good bites last year .

Yup, you were right. Verified the time of the injury and looked at the box score/recap again. Time of possession dominated by Kentucky; no rushing by South Carolina and abysmal 3rd down conversions.

So.... 3 of the 5. :p

Reactions: 308955
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT