ADVERTISEMENT

This will be most boring CFB playoff by far

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
Same teams as usual and really tired of seeing them. I understand Clemson and Alabama as they are good but Notre Dame will get blown out as usual and Ohio St don’t deserve it. Would have been a way better playoff to have Tex’s A&M as the three and even Cincinnati as the four. It’s been a crazy year so do something crazy. I am tired of same teams all the time and half the time it’s decided a couple of months out. If you don’t start in top ten you have no chance of making it if top few win even if schedules are worthless.

Same teams as usual and really tired of seeing them. I understand Clemson and Alabama as they are good but Notre Dame will get blown out as usual and Ohio St don’t deserve it. Would have been a way better playoff to have Tex’s A&M as the three and even Cincinnati as the four. It’s been a crazy year so do something crazy. I am tired of same teams all the time and half the time it’s decided a couple of months out. If you don’t start in top ten you have no chance of making it if top few win even if schedules are worthless.
They would have to expand the playoffs for any Group of Five member to be included.

Reactions: GMClemson33
Boring for sure. Like you said it’s the same teams every year and I don’t see that changing.

I can't believe ppl are even remotely suggesting expanding the playoff when Bama has already blown out the #5 and will do the same to the #4.

We need less teams. Maybe just come with a formula to determine the top 2 teams and let them play for the championship.

It’s a lot of things - repetitive, annoying, especially with our rival yet again. But from a football perspective, it ain’t boring. If you changed the uniforms, it’s just the best two teams in football with an outside chance that someone might get upset by one of the other two playoff teams. They have two of the best QBs in the games throwing to some of the best receivers in the game. It sure is a hell of a lot more interesting than anything we put on the field for years.

Suppose they had expanded to 8, with these provisos: Power 5 champions, the highest ranked Group of 5 team, and 2 at large.

Playoff field would be (assuming seeding by the CFP ranking, adjusted by forcing in the #25 ranked P12 champions and moving up the Group of 5 team one position so they are included):

1 seed Alabama vs 8 seed Oregon
2 seed Clemson vs 7 seed Cincinnati
3 seed OSU vs 6 seed Oklahoma
4 seed ND vs 5 seed Texas A&M

1, 2, and 3 seeds would be clearly favored, likely all 3 by double digits, and the 4 seed would have a decent shot, which would end us back where we are now. Plus, there'd be the truly awful result of having Oregon in the playoff by rule.

The best that could be said about that is that it would be different. Two of the four quarter finals would be blowouts by the middle of the 2nd quarter, with the 3rd game being over before the end of the 3rd quarter. ND vs A&M would be the only interesting game of the 4.

Plus, with another round of games, there would be a greater chance of COVID-19 screwing it all up.

Other than seeing some new jerseys in the playoff games, it would still be very boring. You’d turn off the games at halftime because both would be getting smoked by the top two.

Reactions: GeorgeZip
With Bama, clemsux, Ohio State getting automatic invites every year, this will continue to be most of the lineup for the CFP because players want to go play for the National Championship and the best ones will continue to go play for one of the three...

If Notre Dame opts into the ACC, then they could also be the continued 4th team, because they always get preferential treatment from the press. They will not have to play clemsux every year until the ACC Championship, and this year showed that they can lose that game by any amount and still get in..

Pac 12 to weak to have a strong contender unless Cristobal keeps improving Oregon, but they still are a weak 4th place team based on defense...

Oklahoma can sneak in every once in a while, but they don't play defense either....

As biased as the polls are (ranking teams based on past history for the top ten) no p5 schools will make it to the CFP, IMO...

BORING....

Reactions: Robhawk29
With Bama, clemsux, Ohio State getting automatic invites every year, this will continue to be most of the lineup for the CFP because players want to go play for the National Championship and the best ones will continue to go play for one of the three...

If Notre Dame opts into the ACC, then they could also be the continued 4th team, because they always get preferential treatment from the press. They will not have to play clemsux every year until the ACC Championship, and this year showed that they can lose that game by any amount and still get in..

Pac 12 to weak to have a strong contender unless Cristobal keeps improving Oregon, but they still are a weak 4th place team based on defense...

Oklahoma can sneak in every once in a while, but they don't play defense either....

As biased as the polls are (ranking teams based on past history for the top ten) no p5 schools will make it to the CFP, IMO...

BORING....
OK, so what would be your solution?

I can't believe ppl are even remotely suggesting expanding the playoff when Bama has already blown out the #5 and will do the same to the #4.

We need less teams. Maybe just come with a formula to determine the top 2 teams and let them play for the championship.
We had that before

I don’t think he’s saying he has a solution or there is one. It might be controversial but I think the only way to get more parity is to lower the scholarship total. Similar to the way NFL team talent gets redistributed due to salary caps, a tighter total scholarship limit would cause talent to spill into other programs

Reactions: stu1cocks
The games themselves will determine whether or not the playoff is scintillating, not who is playing.

Reactions: SCExile
I don’t think he’s saying he has a solution or there is one. It might be controversial but I think the only way to get more parity is to lower the scholarship total. Similar to the way NFL team talent gets redistributed due to salary caps, a tighter total scholarship limit would cause talent to spill into other programs
Cut out athletic scholarships.

BORING....

Do it like the Division 3 playoffs... Have the first round games using established bowl games; final 4 as the Major Bowl games, and then the National Championship Game at rotating stadiums...

No AP, Coaches, or any other power polls until after the 5th game of the season.

Do it like the Division 3 playoffs... Have the first round games using established bowl games; final 4 as the Major Bowl games, and then the National Championship Game at rotating stadiums...

No AP, Coaches, or any other power polls until after the 5th game of the season.
Yeah, but division 1 players are too fragile. They couldn't handle the extra games. They're also poorer students. They couldn't handle the extra time away from classes.

:po_O;):)

• Haha
Reactions: cockofthegoat
Yeah, but division 1 players are too fragile. They couldn't handle the extra games. They're also poorer students. They couldn't handle the extra time away from classes.

:po_O;):)
Reduce the number of regular season games back to ten or eleven... No need for D1 teams to be playing some of the cupcakes that are offered up for slaughter each week.

Reactions: GMClemson33
Interestingly, if the playoff seems to be as frustrating as our old friend the BCS, well that makes sense.

It's now official, the "BCS" would've selected the same four playoff teams as the #CFBPlayoff committee in all seven seasons since its inception: https://twitter.com/i/events/937405980803063808

We need an expansion to eight. Use the BCS to choose the eight. Things change a little as you move down the poll.

The games themselves will determine whether or not the playoff is scintillating, not who is playing.
That is true however the teams playing don’t exactly make one want to tune in because they are tired of same old teams every year.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Teams could be pulled from regions that way teams across the country can play in using the 8 team format. Best teams won't always make it but it does shake things up. In time recruiting will spread across the board more.

You can write Bama and Clemson into the CFP for the foreseeable future unless there is a scandal or coaching change. If you like orange and Crimson, you will be happy. Most will not.

You mean like Ohio State that only played six games???
OSU should have been disqualified, but that does not mean they are not a top 4 team. They are fairly evenly matched with Clemson, I think, and have a pretty good chance to win the game.

Putting Cincinnati in would've made it more interesting just for the novelty factor, but nothing would've made this playoff more competitive. There was nobody available that would give Bama a game. Swapping out Ohio State for a worse A&M team certainly wouldn't help the competitive balance. We aren't quite sure what OSU is after only 6 games, but "good" Ohio State is certainly capable of beating Clemson. Their ceiling is much higher than A&M's.

Say what you will, it will have good ratings. People want to see good football. Having a team in like Cincinnati would have killed the ratings. Nobody wants to see Bama in a first round bye against Cincy. Bama may very well destroy ND, but it's ND and they're perceived, right or wrong, as being good. And ND always brings eyeballs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT