ADVERTISEMENT

To all grammar, punctuation and spelling police...

Reminded me of an old I Love Lucy episode, where Lucy and Ethyl wanted to become refined and learn to speak properly.

Every person should aspire to speak properly. If we only can learn from tv and the movies, and not from an education from those who know more than we do then I will recommend, "My Fair Lady".

I've never understood what exactly a "lotta love" is, but I figure the Led Zeppelin folks knew since they had a whole one and wrote a song about it.

See! You learn something knew every day. I always thought it was Holotta Love. Kinda Kinky though.

It's OK though, my Mom couldn't understand why anyone would sing a song about ... 'there's a bathroom on the right.'

...and this includes myself. I never correct anyone on this board because I'm far from perfect (and really what difference does it make?), but it drives me crazy when I hear supposed "professionals" such newscasters and commentators misuse simple English (please don't start on Todd and Tommy, this isn't what this thread is about). It also drives me crazy when a world-renowned school of journalism such as The University of South Carolina allows ridiculous punctuation mistakes to make it to the air on the Muschamp show. Did anyone else notice the athlete of the week today? He was from Union, K.Y.! Seriously? Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive due to the fourth quarter ass whoopin' we got yesterday, but come on! Where are the editors and spell checkers? This portion of the show was produced days if not weeks in advance and inserted into the show. It's not like they were in a hurry to finish it up as I'm sure they were with Todd's and Will's portions.

OK, I feel better. Back to licking my wounds!

You really could use a drink. :)

For those who say they don't care about grammar, you need to take a look at your property tax statement and see how much is devoted to "education". Those in charge spend millions of our tax dollars on pretty buildings but never really address the basic problems in our educational system.
It's not difficult for me to grasp the difference among their, they're, your, you're, etc. Have read that those who are responsible for educating students say it doesn't matter as long as they understand what the student means.???????

For those who say they don't care about grammar, you need to take a look at your property tax statement and see how much is devoted to "education". Those in charge spend millions of our tax dollars on pretty buildings but never really address the basic problems in our educational system.
It's not difficult for me to grasp the difference among their, they're, your, you're, etc. Have read that those who are responsible for educating students say it doesn't matter as long as they understand what the student means.???????
Our money is being wasted by pre-madonnas.

Reminded me of an old I Love Lucy episode, where Lucy and Ethyl wanted to become refined and learn to speak properly.

TEACHER: There are two words I don't want to ever hear, under any circumstances. One is SWELL and the other is LOUSY.

LUCY: OK, what are they?

Ok, so it's funnier when Lucy says it.
I thought "Ethyl" was related to gasoline.

Mistakes will be corrected before posting by employing the FREE app, Grammarly!

I am that person that reads the banner on the bottom of the screen on *insert news/sports channel here* and regularly corrects the grammar.

The mistake that really gets my goat is when someone uses "of" when it should be "have", for example "should/would/could of" when they clearly mean "should/would/could have." Drives me crazy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT