ADVERTISEMENT

To all yall who said Davis would go undrafted

Didn't say he would go undrafted, but still think he made a mistake, c'est la vie! Good luck Mike!

Reactions: csmedley
There were lots of posters on this site that said he would not get drafted. That he was too slow or not big enough. After running a 4.3 on pro day and displaying his catching ability his stock went up. Even the football analyst said that at times Davis looked like an elite back. Barring injuries he could be a steal for the 49ers. As far an him coming out early. His mother was evicted from her home so he had no other choice but to help her out.

He made the right decision for him and I think it will work out for him. Every situation is different and it's easy for us to sit back and criticize when some go early but we don't know their situation.

There were lots of posters on this site that said he would not get drafted. That he was too slow or not big enough. After running a 4.3 on pro day and displaying his catching ability his stock went up. Even the football analyst said that at times Davis looked like an elite back. Barring injuries he could be a steal for the 49ers. As far an him coming out early. His mother was evicted from her home so he had no other choice but to help her out.

Didn't realize this about his mother but even if that hadn't happened, the way rookie deals are now structured, it is better for any junior player to come out if they will be in the top 4, maybe 5, rounds if they weren't ever going to be a 1st rounder by staying the extra year. Davis was more than likely never going to be a 1st rounder no matter what else he did. RB's just don't go in the 1st round near as much as they used to. With the way rookie contracts are now structured, especially for all non 1st rounders, it is all about getting the contract started as soon as possible since the real money is going to be made in the second contract. On top of that, RB's in the NFL have a very short shelf life. So getting into the league as soon as possible is even more important for a RB. A lot of people still don't seem to be able to understand this new dynamic.

Reactions: ToddFlanders

Glad he got drafted. But, I would have loved to see the 4.3 speed while at SC. Can anyone remember a time where he ran away from a defense? (ala Todd Gurley style) He had a few nice runs while at Carolina but I think he will be remembered a lot more for running off the field for breathers or being hurt. I hope he has a nice career in SF and is able to provide for his family. However, I see him ending up just like his brother... Gone as quick as he got there.

Glad he got drafted. But, I would have loved to see the 4.3 speed while at SC. Can anyone remember a time where he ran away from a defense? (ala Todd Gurley style) He had a few nice runs while at Carolina but I think he will be remembered a lot more for running off the field for breathers or being hurt. I hope he has a nice career in SF and is able to provide for his family. However, I see him ending up just like his brother... Gone as quick as he got there.
He showed off that speed at UCF,Gerogia and North Carolina 2013. Also he displayed that speed against Kentucky in 2014.

Reactions: bmhood1984
DC,correct me if I am wrong but didn't he only show that speed in a controlled environment, running in a straight line. Would you agree he did more east/west than north/south running while here at SC? Again, perception of someones game speed can be misleading when two of his biggest runs in his history are against inferior opponents. I personally didn't think his speed was close to Damiere's 4.25. (I think most would agree) I guess I also question his sustainability in the league. Rounds 4/5 is where he belonged. Those rounds are worth a gamble on a guy if you are an NFL GM. Maybe he breaks out and becomes an every down back or maybe he ends up on a practice squad. Only time will tell.

"As far an him coming out early. His mother was evicted from her home so he had no other choice but to help her out."

If true (which seems dubious), then couldn't he have:
1) let momma move in with him, ala Dabo, for his senior year;
2) her other son played in the NFL and he couldn't help? I guess James skipped that money management class at Clemson.

Mike knew after his sophomore year he was coming out, so don't go blaming momma.

DC,correct me if I am wrong but didn't he only show that speed in a controlled environment, running in a straight line. Would you agree he did more east/west than north/south running while here at SC? Again, perception of someones game speed can be misleading when two of his biggest runs in his history are against inferior opponents. I personally didn't think his speed was close to Damiere's 4.25. (I think most would agree) I guess I also question his sustainability in the league. Rounds 4/5 is where he belonged. Those rounds are worth a gamble on a guy if you are an NFL GM. Maybe he breaks out and becomes an every down back or maybe he ends up on a practice squad. Only time will tell.

Davis didn't do a whole lot of dancing. He wasn't a north/south runner in the sense of a Brian Maddox where the initial hole better be there. Davis had the ability to cut back and hit a different hole but he typically got upfield as quick as possible. Some of his longest runs were ones in which he followed secondary blocks and broke off long runs as a result. Watch this video from the 1:17 to about the 6:00 mark (prior to that is high school and afterward is just pictures and you may want to mute as the music is annoying). A lot of people have a skewed perception of Davis due to this past season.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Manning, these were mostly the same runs that DC brought up. I would venture to say that if you look at any running back that went drafted or signed a free agency deal, their highlight film would look similar (they aren't going to make a film showing the poor runs/decisions, or calling for a replacement when the game is on the line). I am not questioning his ability on a few plays each game. I am questioning his ability throughout a whole game/ season. As the saying goes you are only as good as your last game/season. 2014 was not a very kind year for him especially with all the hype he was receiving before the season began....

"As far an him coming out early. His mother was evicted from her home so he had no other choice but to help her out."

2) her other son played in the NFL and he couldn't help? I guess James skipped that money management class at Clemson.

Mike knew after his sophomore year he was coming out, so don't go blaming momma.

Wow. So much ignorance in so few words.

But James Davis never really caught on in the NFL. He was late round draft pick and he was injured most of the time. James made some money but he didn't make the type of money to be considered financially stable.

i dont blame him one bit for coming out. As a RB, less tread on tires and may not have improved his draft position. Completely different type of runner than a Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon. In the right situation, he can be a very good RB in the NFL.

Running backs have a short life and he had already spent a year injured in 2014. I can't really blame him.....especially after seeing what happened to Marcus. We have plenty of guys that leave too early from USC, but I don't think Mike Davis was one of them.

Manning, these were mostly the same runs that DC brought up. I would venture to say that if you look at any running back that went drafted or signed a free agency deal, their highlight film would look similar (they aren't going to make a film showing the poor runs/decisions, or calling for a replacement when the game is on the line). I am not questioning his ability on a few plays each game. I am questioning his ability throughout a whole game/ season. As the saying goes you are only as good as your last game/season. 2014 was not a very kind year for him especially with all the hype he was receiving before the season began....

No you posted a question about his style of running and also his durability for a season. While that film showed some of his bigger runs, it also showed multiple shorter runs (many for TD's but not all). It makes it quite clear that he was not an east/west runner as you proposed. Mike has never been accused of this. He has always been known as a back that follows blocks well and gets upfield quickly (North/South) but has the ability to hit a cut back (East/West) if the initial block isn't there. However, he doesn't waste time dancing all around like most strict East/West runners. Take a look at Jarvis Jiles for that. You also, questioned his speed as being straightline only but if you notice, he displayed plenty of speed to hit blocks that had been stretched out that many backs would not have been able to follow. Quickness was as much of a factor as speed in that. Also, I'm willing to bet that if you took any 2 of any RB's top runs in their career it is probably going to be against inferior competition and it should be. That just makes sense. But he had plenty of good runs and some long ones against superior competition as other good RB's would. As for his durability, correct me if I am wrong, but he really only had 1 season in 3 where he really struggled with injuries. That is pretty normal in college football today. But to dismiss him with "I think he will be remembered a lot more for running off the field for breathers or being hurt" is to basically take an extremely selective view and quite unappreciative look at his career. There were plenty of times, even last year where he should have gotten the ball and we just didn't give it to him.

i told yall he would go in rounds 4-5! All ya haters who said he would go undrafted,where yall at??
I said 5-7 ...so I was off, but I stand by what I said he could have big time helped his stock if would have been a passionate team player and came back and left it on field....I am a buddy of one of the coaches, told me his entorauge had him from day 1 last year and he never seemed all in for the season

He was trying to protect himself from injury. It worked out for him. That's why it's important to have at least 3 good running backs on a roster.

Maybe he could have hired you as his coach....then he could be a couch potato typing on a keyboard being critical of a Gamecock player who got drafted in the 4th round. He was a good player for us. He showed his speed many times, and helped us a bunch. I thank him for that and he will always be a Gamecock in my book. I love watching the certain minions on this board tear down every G'cock player and coach they can at every turn. It's always the same obvious posters. They are awol when something good happens, but are like flies on crap when something bad happens. Funny how one of our players being drafted can be turned into a bashing by some on here. Mike Davis will be cashing big paychecks (probably not as big as your fry cook checks), but he's one step closer to the NFL. Good luck Mike and thanks for becoming a Gamecock.

Reactions: shiverz
Maybe he could have hired you as his coach....then he could be a couch potato typing on a keyboard being critical of a Gamecock player who got drafted in the 4th round. He was a good player for us. He showed his speed many times, and helped us a bunch. I thank him for that and he will always be a Gamecock in my book. I love watching the certain minions on this board tear down every G'cock player and coach they can at every turn. It's always the same obvious posters. They are awol when something good happens, but are like flies on crap when something bad happens. Funny how one of our players being drafted can be turned into a bashing by some on here. Mike Davis will be cashing big paychecks (probably not as big as your fry cook checks), but he's one step closer to the NFL. Good luck Mike and thanks for becoming a Gamecock.

Just stop. Nobody was bashing Mike. Look at all the post before you get on your soapbox. I hope he does well for himself. Onebthing that is in question about Mike Davis is his ability to hold up to a full NFL season health wise and fitness wise. You have to be blind to not see that he was checked out the last part of last season and his physique was not where it should have been. I understand protecting yourself especially after he saw what happened to Marcus, but it's funny how he looked like a different player after the season.

Apparently some on this board come from the 107.5 theory covering Carolina.

He was one of, if not the most overrated player that I have ever watched play. Yes, he had some good runs, but he was about "himself" more than he was about the team. I think I watched him do the "loser's limp" off of the field more than I saw him actually gain yardage. Compared to Marcus, Davis was a joke...

Didn't James Davis flirt with coming out his junior year? He went to some training center in Florida. And when he decided to come back to Tillman tech there were questions about who paid for that training. Wasn't his explanation that he had a rich uncle? I guess the uncle was on his dads side. Or was it uncle tater?

But James Davis never really caught on in the NFL. He was late round draft pick and he was injured most of the time. James made some money but he didn't make the type of money to be considered financially stable.
Really wow, take a jab at James Davis,who is a good person,but just never really panned out in the NFL,so he didn't make that kind of money!! Ya really shouldn't bad mouth people

Man I can't stand haters

Tough because many want to compare him to Marcus and that would be tough for almost anyone. Now compare him to DS and DW and I would take MD over them by far. I am happy for MD and he deserves it. Good luck and we will be following you with the Niners

Davis will have a good NFL career. I doubt he taps on his helmet as much in a contract year. For everything said about JDC playing it ez, trying not to get hurt, I believe this describes Davis. Remember the Heisman talk..? He was awesome his sophomore year.

Mike Davis doesn't have lack of talent. He displayed lack of want to, and it could have been because he was afraid of getting hurt. He's an NFL talent, and potentially a really good one. I did hear several draft analysts say Davis was a probable undrafted player or maybe a 6 or 7 rounder.

Obviously the 49ers see his talent and not enough negatives to draft him where they did. It only takes 1 team to have enough interest in a player and see him fitting in for them to take him.

With the right attitude Davis can make millions in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT