ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett

ForeUSC

Feb 16, 2004
Is there another Tony Bennett out there? Beat Duke at Duke last night. He’s winning at Virginia and, while they are in the ACC , except for the Sampson era they haven’t been much more successful than us.
I’m impressed by Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State. He’s young and in nine years he has 3 national titles there. Could he be another Tony Bennett? Could he recruit here? He couldn’t recruit much worse than Frank Martin. I personally don’t think Boynton, Pitino, or Marshall is the answer. A Coach K disciple? Possibly but is there one with head coaching experience that is available? Seems we have to roll the dice. Sad, sad situation we find ourselves in. Much like football and baseball. Geezzz how have we gotten to this point? The common factor is Ray Tanner!

Last edited:
McCollum has done great things - but his experience is not compatible to Bennett's. McCollum is 40, and has spent his entire playing and coaching career in Division II - that's 23 years - well over half his life. He doesn't even have an internship in Division I. He would need to either be an assistant at a high major or a mid-major head coach before anyone could put him in charge of a high-major program. And if I were him I'd jump at that chance - he would easily be fast-tracked with some good Division I experience.

And Coach K disciples typically stink. That's because as an assistant coach at Duke you've never actually coached or recruited. They've also been handed literally every resource they need - no questions asked. Duke under Coach K is unlike any other NCAA program - so getting to sit on the bench in Shangri-La prepares Duke assistants for nothing they'll see in another program.

Is there another Tony Bennett out there? Beat Duke at Duke last night. He’s winning at Virginia and, while they are in the ACC , except for the Sampson era they haven’t been much more successful than us.
I’m impressed by Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State. He’s young and in nine years he has 3 national titles there. Could he be another Tony Bennett? Could he recruit here? He couldn’t recruit much worse than Frank Martin. I personally don’t think Boynton, Pitino, or Marshall is the answer. A Coach K disciple? Possibly but is there one with head coaching experience that is available? Seems we have to roll the dice. Sad, sad situation we find ourselves in. Much like football and baseball. Geezzz how have we gotten to this point? The common factor is Ray Tanner!
You want to just hand an SEC program over to a guy that coaches Division II. That's worse than Darrin Horn to me. ....and Virginia has a far better basketball tradition than us. They actually just closed deal and won a National Championship a couple years ago. They made a Final Four the year after Sampson left. They are just not Duke or North Carolina.

You want to just hand an SEC program over to a guy that coaches Division II. That's worse than Darrin Horn to me. ....and Virginia has a far better basketball tradition than us. They actually just closed deal and won a National Championship a couple years ago. They made a Final Four the year after Sampson left. They are just not Duke or North Carolina.
I’m just throwing out a name. Not my job to vet potential candidates. But the guy has been there 9 years and has an impressive record. It appears that he has built a strong program. I don’t believe Horns resume was as impressive although I very well could be wrong.
As far as Virginia is concerned they were the dormat of the ACC for many, many years before Sampson. They made the NCAA tourney regularly only after the NCAA broadened the field to 48 and then 64. So most of Va “tradition” has been since that time.
So, who do you think would be a great hire to replace Martin? Or are you in the retain Martin camp because we can’t do any better?

True but you have to give credit where credit is due. Virginia went from a complete dumpster fire to a national program under Tony Bennett. From 1995 - Tony Bennett, there wasn’t much for Virginia fans to celebrate. I don’t think too many 18 year olds are going to Virginia based on Ralph Sampson stories.

Dave Leitao could only get to one NCAA tournament and the round of 32. Pete Gillen could only get to one tournament and no tourney wins. Jeff Jones did a pretty solid job and got them to 5 tournaments, 2 sweet 16s and an Elite 8. I think his biggest issue was he followed Terry Holland.

Reactions: lostcock
I’m just throwing out a name. Not my job to vet potential candidates. But the guy has been there 9 years and has an impressive record. It appears that he has built a strong program. I don’t believe Horns resume was as impressive although I very well could be wrong.
As far as Virginia is concerned they were the dormat of the ACC for many, many years before Sampson. They made the NCAA tourney regularly only after the NCAA broadened the field to 48 and then 64. So most of Va “tradition” has been since that time.
So, who do you think would be a great hire to replace Martin? Or are you in the retain Martin camp because we can’t do any better?
Needs to at least coach a Mid-major first. What a lot of people don't understand is that the mentality of a high level kid and a kid going to Division II is a lot different. Many of the high level kids won't make it, but just about all of them have dreams of playing professionally somewhere. What does this guy have on his resume to get them there. You may be moved by a Division II championship, but most of them are going to say, that's nice and look to talk to the next coach. I've been vocal that I want a guy with local ties. We have to develop a base if we want to ever have any consistency. Marshall, Boynton, and McKie in no particular order fit that for me. I don't think a coach's previous records means much with a program that has little local interest. Need a guy that is going to make the people that care about basketball care about USC's version of that in the future.

Virginia has had a fairly strong program for decades. I enjoyed watching many great players from that program - Barry Parkhill, Wally Walker (a shooter), Jeff Lamp, Brian Stith, Singletary, and a small guard whose name I can’t remember. Of course, Sampson was the dominant one.

Is there another Tony Bennett out there? Could he be another Tony Bennett?

YES!!!!!!!

tony-bennett3-2.jpg

Last edited:
Expand your brain 🧠……….who hired the last coach u were satisfied with?

Virginia has had a fairly strong program for decades. I enjoyed watching many great players from that program - Barry Parkhill, Wally Walker (a shooter), Jeff Lamp, Brian Stith, Singletary, and a small guard whose name I can’t remember. Of course, Sampson was the dominant one.
Othell Wilson? They went to the final four without Sampson 1984.

Unfortunately, Tony Bennett, the crooner, is in ill health: severe dimensia or althzeimers (sp).

We need a Marshall-like coach, if not the real thing. That is, someone who has had big time success at the mid-major level. It is unlikely a successful coach at a major program will leave to come here. Martin and Odom were persona non grata at their previous schools before coming here. I guess Fogler came here. But that might have been to leave a private school. A young, successful coach from a mid major who has a history of beating major programs, is the way to go I believe. I am sure he is out there somewhere.

But I was minus 40 when I was introduced to most of his songs. "Fly Me to the Moon", "The Way You Look Tonight". His renditions of those songs will be revered as long as popular 20th Century vocalists are studied.
maybe due to the number of artists he works with like ga ga and some.

my favorite, alex turner, also someone i’ve met personally 3x, has worked with him as well.

still can’t tell you a song he does 🤣🤣😂

maybe due to the number of artists he works with like ga ga and some.

my favorite, alex turner, also someone i’ve met personally 3x, has worked with him as well.

still can’t tell you a song he does 🤣🤣😂
Those duets are to extend paydays. The Tony Bennett of the past was a great singer. Even Sinatra said he was the best singer of their ilk.

Last edited:
WHAT ????

They have been to the tournament every year since 2014. 2014 - Sweet Sixteen, 2016 - Elite Eight.
2019 National Championship.
Meanwhile back in Columbia, 2 tournament appearances since 2004.

Tony Bennett the singer was drafted during WWII and served in the infantry on the front lines. That generation didn’t try to get out of service. Another example is Ted Williams, who served as a pilot during the Korean War. I think he was also on active duty during WWII. I wonder how many HR’s he would have without those missing years.

Let’s see. He hit 37 and 36 homers the two years previous to the three years when he went military and 38 on his year of return. Guessing he’d would have hit about 115 those years which would have put him at 636. And that’s hitting that mush ball of the times. That would put him 7th on the list behind Willie Mays.

Averages 188 hits. Add three years of that (564) to his 2654 which would give him 3218 which would put him around 15th.

Figure his walks in - would of put him about 2470 in the #2 spot behind Bonds.

Ok. Break over. Back to work.

Tony Bennett has no ties to Virginia. We could've had him while Hyman was extending Odom and eventually hiring Darrin Horn. Only to be followed by another coach who will fail to make the tournament 9 of 10 years.

Google "how to wreck a basketball program" and there's a picture of Hyman and a warchest of credibility.

You knew someone was going to introduce the singer Tony Bennett into the discussion, and you knew the discussion would go off the rails when that happened....smh

I'd love to get the next Tony Bennett (UVA) - but we got to make a move in order to do so.
There are only 3 SEC teams behind us in the NET rankings (Ole Miss, Mizzou, and UGA) - I just wish we'd let Frank go now and give this team a chance to play as a unit under fresh leadership for a few weeks. I don't see how that can hurt us in any way plus you get to audition/interview whoever you're best choice on the current staff is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT