ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Blueblood programs-What is your list

CoachMurph

Aug 25, 2019
This topic came up with some friends with widely varying lists so like to hear what people think. Mine in no order:

ND
Michigan
Ohio State
SoCal
Bama
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
(it gets harder after this)
LSU
Tennessee

It appears the first 6, 7 or 8 are pretty straight forward, then there becomes a little separation after that.
1) I would not put Miami in there. They had one good time frame under JJ, but I'm not impressed after that.

1) BAMA
2) Oklahoma
3) USCw
4) NDame
5) Ohio St
6) Michigan
Space Here......
7) Texas
8) Nebraska
9) LSU
10) Penn State

1) Alabama
2) Oklahoma
3) Ohio st
4) Michigan
5) Georgia
6) Texas
7) USC
8) Norte Dame
9) Clemson (sorry)
10) LSU

It appears the first 6, 7 or 8 are pretty straight forward, then there becomes a little separation after that.
1) I would not put Miami in there. They had one good time frame under JJ, but I'm not impressed after that.

1) BAMA
2) Oklahoma
3) USCw
4) NDame
5) Ohio St
6) Michigan
Space Here......
7) Texas
8) Nebraska
9) LSU
10) Penn State

Miami over Texas. Huge underperformance relative to resources. “Just” 4 national championships to Miami’s 5.

All hat, not that much cattle.

Reactions: Pauliecock
Bama
Michigan
Oklahoma
Southern Cal
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Texas
Georgia
Penn state
Tenn/LSU/Auburn

Considering both past and present, I think everyone here has it right.
Alabama
LSU
Michigan
Ohio State
Southern Cal
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

After that, it’s pretty sketchy for “blue blood” status.
Texas
Georgia
Clemson
Florida

Last edited:
Alabama
LSU
Michigan
Ohio State
Southern Cal
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

Texas
Georgia
Clemson
Florida
Agree....I don't believe there are 10 "blue blood" programs.

Notre Dame
Michigan
Alabama
USC-Left
Ohio St
LSU

That is it for real Blue bloods. The next batch but we’ll below the first batch

Texas
Auburn
Washington
Nebraska
Penn St
Georgia

next batch

Alabama
LSU
Michigan
Ohio State
Southern Cal
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

Texas
Georgia
Clemson
Florida
I would add Texas to your top tier and drop the other three in the bottom tier altogether. I would rate those other schools alongside, oh, Auburn and Nebraska.

This topic came up with some friends with widely varying lists so like to hear what people think. Mine in no order:

ND
Michigan
Ohio State
SoCal
Bama
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
LSU
Tennessee
I'd like to add Army and Navy, only because of their rich tradition which we all enjoy celebrating when its their day. But of course, they are no longer steeped in football talent and among the elite teams.

I'd add Penn State to the list. They were considered very elite during the Paterno years.

Don't know if I can go with LSU or Tennessee, though.

Not Impressed after that ?
JJ had one NC.(87) After that Dennis Erickson had 2.(89,91)
Butch Davis although did not win a NC, he assembled what ESPN just recently called the most talented team of all time (2000-2001)
Larry Coker went undefeated won a NC in 2001, and played for another in 2002.

Not diminishing JJ at all but UM continued their success for quite a while after he left.

Reactions: cfbfan15

ND
Michigan
Ohio State
SoCal
Bama
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
LSU
Tennessee
don't disagree with most of the post but would you throw Army and Navy n there? They had some pretty elite teams and heisman winners back in the mid 1900's.

Last edited:
Alabama
LSU
Michigan
Ohio State
Southern Cal
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

Texas
Georgia
Clemson
Florida
As a Clemson fan I love that you included them, but i put them with GA and Miami. I just don't understand the true definition of a blue blood, I agree with teams like Alabama, OSU, USCw, ND, Oklahoma, etc who have had success over multiple time periods, but teams like Clemson who was semi relevant in the 80's and in the last 7-8 years I wouldn't consider a BB, and GA or Michigan who have just 1 Championship in their history.

don't disagree with most of the post, but can Michigan be considered a blue blood? I think they only have 1 national championship and it was from the 90's? Also may depend on what is defined by "blueblood?" Army and Navy had some pretty elite teams and heisman winners back in the mid 1900's.
Michigan has more wins than any other program so I would definitely consider them as a Blue Blood, lack of NC's notwithstanding.

Reactions: rogue cock
As a Clemson fan I love that you included them, but i put them with GA and Miami. I just don't understand the true definition of a blue blood, I agree with teams like Alabama, OSU, USCw, ND, Oklahoma, etc who have had success over multiple time periods, but teams like Clemson who was semi relevant in the 80's and in the last 7-8 years I wouldn't consider a BB, and GA or Michigan who have just 1 Championship in their history.
Agree with you, except for one.....as much as I hate to admit it, Meatchigan is a blue-blood. They have a a sustained high-level success over many generations. And I believe they still have the most wins in college football history. They may not have won a lot of championships, but they almost always were in the discussion.

Reactions: 1 hall and cfbfan15
Agree with you, except for one.....as much as I hate to admit it, Meatchigan is a blue-blood. They have a a sustained high-level success over many generations. And I believe they still have the most wins in college football history. They may not have won a lot of championships, but they almost always were in the discussion.
Yeah I agree with you and Harvard, i was looking more at championships, but as far as sustained success UM is right there at the top.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Oklahoma
4. Notre Dame
5. Michigan
6. Southern California
7. Texas
8. Georgia
9. LSU
10. Penn State

Nebraska and Tennessee would be here, but they just have been so bad for 2 decades.

Reactions: TheReelEss
don't disagree with most of the post, but can Michigan be considered a blue blood? I think they only have 1 national championship and it was from the 90's? Also may depend on what is defined by "blueblood?" Army and Navy had some pretty elite teams and heisman winners back in the mid 1900's.
To me, "blueblood" describes a school that historically recruits what we today call "blue chips" simply by itself; like others have said I don't think there ARE ten. I don't see the academies, Clemson, Miami, or FSU as bluebloods.

Alabama
Michigan
Oklahoma
Texas
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Georgia

Far as I'd go.

I agree. I wouldn't put Clemson, Georgia, or Texas in 'blue-blood' status. (I do think Florida is closer than those three). I guess I'm calling them 'best of the rest'.

I agree. I wouldn't put Clemson, Georgia, or Texas in 'blue-blood' status. (I do think Florida is closer than those three). I guess I'm calling them 'best of the rest'.
Texas is a no-brainer....they have an historical winning percentage of over 70% and 924 wins....plus multiple NCs.

To me, "blueblood" describes a school that historically recruits what we today call "blue chips" simply by itself; like others have said I don't think there ARE ten. I don't see the academies, Clemson, Miami, or FSU as bluebloods.

Alabama
Michigan
Oklahoma
Texas
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Georgia

Far as I'd go.
see a lot for GA on here but what justification would you use to have them in the top? Serious question as i have not googled the wins or anything just playing historical significance off the top of my head. I get what you are saying, "recruits" by name alone but i think alot of that has to do more with current success.

Last edited:

ND
Michigan
Ohio State
SoCal
Bama
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
LSU
Tennessee
What makes a program blue-blood? Total wins? National Championships?

Reactions: cfbfan15
What makes a program blue-blood? Total wins? National Championships?
I consider a blue-blood as one who has had a sustained long term success at a high level. Basically a historical winning percentage of at least 70%. Can have a decade off here or there, but not too many.

Reactions: SLODAWG
Serious question. Are you too young to remember Tony Dorsett, Hugh Green, Mark May , Russ Grimm.
Jackie Sherrill or Johnny Majors ?
Think most of us are way too young to really remember there glory years.....prior to the 1960s. They took the 60s off, did very well in the 1970s and early 80s. Dumbest thing they did was tear down Pitt Stadium.

There's going to be very little deviation in any of these answers as it's largely a historical W/L discussion.

What are the Top 10 attributes of a Blueblood program?

Think most of us are way too young to really remember there glory years.....prior to the 1960s. They took the 60s off, did very well in the 1970s and early 80s. Dumbest thing they did was tear down Pitt Stadium.
The names I mentioned were playing during the 70's

Texas is a no-brainer....they have an historical winning percentage of over 70% and 924 wins....plus multiple NCs.
Correct. And they will probably get back to national relevance at some point. But they’ve been pretty average since the early years of Mack Brown. I didn’t want to include them as a blue blood because of who they have been the past 15-20 years.

BAMA
Oklahoma
USCw
NDame
Ohio St
Michigan

If I have to have 10:
Penn State
Nebraska
Texas
Miami???
clemson comes before Miami as much as it pains me to say it. For that matter so does FSU. They had a national championship in 2013. They're a sleeping giant, waiting for the right person to return the brand to its former glory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT